Jeep Patriot Forums banner

Patriot 2008 electrical problem

47K views 24 replies 16 participants last post by  Ignatz 
#1 ·
Hi, im new to Jeep. I always had Honda and Acura's over the last years. I also have some good overall knowledge about cars, but not with electrical problems ;) (also sorry if my english is bad, im french).

Here's my story. 2 months ago, i bought a used 2008 Jeep Patriot North 4WD 2.4L from a used dealership.

Now, couple weeks ago, i went to work with my Jeep and everything was fine. After my shift, 8 hours later, I jumped in car and tried to start and nothing. Battery had power, i could use the radio, wipers, lights were on.. but couldnt start the car. The air bag and check engine lights were on and there were at least 4 or 5 beeps when i put key in, but couldnt start it.

I brought the car to a Jeep dealer and they told me that the problem was the fusebox under the hood. I was like :wow: a fusebox that break that easily on a 45,000km car. I had no choice but to get it repaired. Here is my "problem".

After they changed the fusebox (and a 1500$ bill (850$ for the part + job)), lot of electrical "accessories" were not like before and the dealership keep telling me i'm wrong. Here's an example of what changed.

- no more sound when i grab the handbrake,
- doors get locked at 20km/h, before they were locking when i press brake to shift on Drive,
- seatbelt light goes off when i pull belt, it was going off when i locked it before,
- when using wipers with windshield washer, now they wipe 2 times only, they were wiping 3 times before (i checked with a friend who has a 2008 patriot too and they wipe 3 times).
- rear passenger door doesnt lock/unlock anymore,

I know it's nothing important, but i am wondering what happened. Do told me they had to program the new fusebox in the computer..!? never heard of that in my life. But if they changed the computer's program, my question is.. when you change the under hood fusebox, do you ABSOLUTLY NEED to make any changes in the computer?

Also, when they fixed the fusebox, check engine and air bag lights were still on but car could at least start (yay!). The mechanic called Chrysler and they had no clue what was the problem. So they told me it was the PCM. They changed it under warranty.

So, i went to work, parked the car, came back 8 hours later and car would not start. The fusebox and PCM broke like that and bam..

Is this "normal" ? Do fuseboxes and PCM break that easily on these cars with this average kms? Anyone ever experienced something like this?

Any ideas?

Thanks and sorry for the long story ;)

See less See more
#2 · (Edited)
Except for the back door not unlocking the rest of the stuff sounds like it was an update to the Software in your Jeep... All of those things are what my my Pat has done from day one...

And for the PCM and fuse box… It does not sound like a normal wear and tear that most of the users here experience... You may have some wiring problems somewhere that is causing the two to short out some how... Some of the other members here will probably more of help but as far as most of your issues those are just updates

Sent from AutoGuide.com App

#4 ·
Fuse box controls a lot more than just fuse voltage function.
Hence the name tipm totally integrated power module.
As it contains more functions. Things will fail.
As for price, install/labor shouldn't be much.
1 hour labor.
Cost here in US is as follows at the dealer.
Tipm: $700
Install/labor: $100-$125
Reprogramming: $85.
And yes it has to be programmed with cars VIN#
Car won't function unless tipm is programmed.

#5 ·
check my thread on the relay box under the left fender behind the plastic wheel well cover.
i had a similar issue and it was pinned to 2 damaged relays due to corrosion.

#6 ·
On the Jeep...actually most vehicles there are 3 major components in the electrical system. They are the:

PDC - Power Distribution Center - Basically the fuse box and junction point for the wiring harneess and fuses
BCM - Body Control Module - Controls all things attached to the Jeep, (Radio, Wipers, lights, horn, remote entry etc etc)
PCM - Power Control Module - Controls all aspects of the engine , transmission and cooling

From reading the description it sounds like they changed the BCM or Body Control Module. When replacing any computer, the component needs to be flashed with the correct VIN otherwise it may not have the correct software. From everything you mention it sounds like they put in a new BCM and never flashed it.

One thing you didn't mention..Was this a Jeep/Chrysler dealership that did the repair? Since the software and tools are proprietary and only the dealership can do the repair correctly

#8 · (Edited)
Yes repairs were done at a Chrysler/Jeep dealership. And yes, they changed the TIPM (got the right part number on bill) and the PCM (have no bill, it was on warranty). That's what they told me.

Thats about normal. Mine is a 12 and does all those things since day one. Sounds like you got 11+ updates on an 08, lucky man! lol

However for the PCM and fuse box should not have broke. But that may be the cause of the 11+ updates in the PCM on 08 parts.... I really dunno, just throwing suggestions.
This looks like they did an update but like you said, this looks like a '11 update in a '08.. they should have left the original '08 program in the '08 car imho...
Now if i have more problems later, i'll have to go back to the dealership and start over and pay again ><

That's why i asked if you guys, have a '08 patriot and if they do those things and if the program they put in, is the right one. Because at the dealership, they dont even believe me when i told them that lot of things have changed.

And no, that is not the problem why TIPM and PCM broke. I (and they) really have no idea. Like i said, i parked the car a 11:00PM (i work at night) and at 7:00AM, put the key in and car wont start even with power in battery and everything else working.. We even tried to "boost?" the car and nothing..

And thanks guys for taking some time to answer my questions! much appreciated

#10 ·
All Chrysler products since 2005 have a anti-theft system built into them. It's called the SKIM system and works with a transponder located within the key fob.

If you look at the ignition on the column, you will see a plastic ring around it. This is actually the atteana for the system and will read the transponder of the key when it's inserted into the ignition.If it doesn't match, the security light will become active and it will not allow the vehicle to start.

All I can say is be patient. Electrical issues absolutely suck. I had to deal with a major issue with my Liberty last year and I became well versed with all of the electrical systems in the Jeep. It even took the dealer 6 weeks to chase down the issue before it was finally fixed. In the end, my issue was caused by a broken wire from the gauge cluster to the ECM.

#11 ·
I was wondering if the firmware version installed on my Pat can cause these troubles? I mean, when i had issues a couple weeks ago, if they put in a firmware for 2011+ Patriot, can it causes problems to my 2008? Do car's year and firmware version needs to match or a 2011 firmware can fit in any Pat's ?

Like i said earlier, i noticed many electrical differencies before and after my problem. So, that means the firmware wasnt correct when i bought the Jeep. That also means someone did some work on the PCM and/or TIPM (was the car stolen? had a major accident? i really dont know yet). But i will try to get some infos from Chrysler...

#12 ·
CrazyWild Patriot

Jeep Patriot 2010, built / bought late 2009
From what I see here, the problem I am having is due to BCM? I just had the software update done per recall, and my car is going beserk! It's been a couple weeks, but it started with dead battery , twice recharged at home. Tonight, after driving to the store and back, in terribly cold weather, I made sure everything was off when leaving. I had to go back out, and tried to lock with key remote, did not see interior lights come on when unlocking. I went inside and it was dinging, even with everything off. All warning lights on, funny sound coming from radio area, lights dimming, brights on but not. car would not lock/unlock...like aliens had been there. Map lights on but dim and could not switch off. Then the headlights dimmed, eventually one went out while other was on. Oh really?!
Will they charge me for correcting this bull? Will they tell me it was something else?
I love my Jeep regardless. It's great on the highway, and grips nicely when the Neon would not!

#13 ·
If you look in the owners manual, some of those things are user changeable. For example, how the doors lock/unlock can be changed by doing a series of key on/off cycles and pressing the lock button on the door within a certain amount of time.

#14 ·
I have a 2008/170.000. I adore it even when I couldn't start it in a snow storm. I've changed clutch switch - no go.
At dealership despite diagnostics at over 100 bucks nothing was found.
Car started but the next day it didn't.
Long story short: there is a black plastic box on driver side under the hood, below the headlight with four
relays. It is not sealed and all road and weather gets into it. Delicate relay fuses corrode and loose contact with the connecting wire harness. I pulled it up, opened, removed relays and white plastic seat, bought two new relays, inserted new wires, reinstalled relays, marreted new wires to thin grey with red stripe(three were loose - engine fan, starter and something else) wrapped box in plastic shopping bag and pulled it high beside fuse box, which is good and doesn't need replacement. Did it in March and so far no problem. Don't let yourself to be pulled in replacing whole wiring an the box. Get a good one from salvage, cut wires as long as possible and connect wires colour to colour. Takes some time and right crimpers, but it is way less than $1500 or more at the shop. And you'll feel good. When done, do not forget to wrap it up and place as high to the fuse box as you can, secure with a bungee art two. Have fun.

#15 ·
exactly what happened to me in feb 13.
found two corroded relays,one with a broken pin.
wrote a thread on that.
wrapped the whole thing in a plastic bag.
no issues since.

#16 ·
Here's an example of what changed.

- no more sound when i grab the handbrake,
- doors get locked at 20km/h, before they were locking when i press brake to shift on Drive,
- seatbelt light goes off when i pull belt, it was going off when i locked it before,
- when using wipers with windshield washer, now they wipe 2 times only, they were wiping 3 times before (i checked with a friend who has a 2008 patriot too and they wipe 3 times).
I have an '08 that does all these things that you are new to. Now here's the weird thing: A while back I asked the dealership to check what updates/ services had been done and there are NO records of this jeep ever being in a Chrysler dealership past purchase date...

#17 ·
All of a sudden my Jeep Patriot 2008 went nuts! It was sitting in my drive way and the horn started going off the windshield wipers went off the lights turned on. It starts fine but then you take the key out and it doesn't turn off, it takes about 5 - 10 secs. The it ticks that sound like a switch going on and off. What is wrong and about how much is it going to cost?

#19 ·
I don't even need to read any of this to know that most the problems all of us are having with our Patriots and the chorus of other badges that share the platform is "corrosion of the wiring harness". I have had two Patriots; a 2007 and a 2011. I put nearly 40-50k miles a year on them both, my current one is pushing 150K (I got a new engine put in at 25k but that is another story). I wash them regularly by hand and drive through washes plus use my own power washer or go to publics self washes before a drive through was being sure to get the under carriage and make sure the engine compartment is free of salt since I live in Michigan. I also worked in a car wash as a teenager.

Both had the exact same problem with the wiring harness which causes all kinds of electrical problems. The only reason I bought another Patriot is I had all the accessories to fit it and the fact the sales manager at Brighton Chrysler promised me they recognized the problem and moved the "brain box" on top of the air filter housing. I even sprayed it with some super electrical circuit board compound I use in business on critical electronics that are in harsh, outdoor environments: boats, traffic signal controllers, pump houses, draw bridge controllers and the like. It still had exactly the same problem.

I have owned dozens of vehicles; new, used, winter beaters costing $200, you name it. I still have my 1979 Hurst/Olds since 1984.I have never had any vehicle towed for any reason but my two jeep patriots that one day ran perfect and the next day would not start.

They will not admit the problem and someone is going to die or probably already has died because of it. I can take anything but people lying to my face. Shame on you Chrysler and I will unload this piece of crap as soon as I pay it off and will never ever buy one of your products again.

#20 ·
Today I met the problem:

After coming home and parking my Jeep Patriot 2008 I have discovered that rear right Tail Light (it's the Turn Light also) is still "ON".
I've Changed the Bulb - it's in ON condition again!
I'm going the day after tomorrow for Predator Hunting, and without my Jeep it will be impossible in high snow ... :(

Please, advise.
HELP !!!

Best Regards,
George from Georgia.

#21 ·
George, first off, let me be sure I understand the problem. You've got one taillight that won't shut off? Electrical problems are mysteries and it usually takes a professional to diagnose it. But you want to go hunting before you can get it to a shop?

Suggestion: maybe you could just pull the fuse that goes to the taillights when you park it. I think that way you won't run down your battery. Your owners manual should have a diagram explaining which fuses go to each circuit. Failing that its trial & error until you pull one and the light goes out.

You don't want to go hunting and come back with a dead beast then have your Jeep not start! :frown2:

Hope this works!

#22 ·
Yes, it's just one, right Tail Light always left "on" and don't want to shut off. :)
I've taken for a night the bulb off and it won't damage the battery.

I was going for hunting, but without fixing my Jeep it will be impossible. The matter is that I live in mountains there are no Service Shops far around for many kilometers and I have to fix my problems with my own, because of this I asked you to have wise advise.

Thousand Thanks!

#23 ·
I think removing the fuse while it is parked is easier than removing the bulb. However, you realize something is wrong that is causing this. Sooner or later it will need to get to a shop or you'll have to figure this out on your own.

Maybe others will see this thread and have an idea on how to do a real fix. I'm just hoping my trick will let you go hunting this weekend.

I hope your hunt is successful and that you bring home something for your wife to cook. :smiley_thumbs_up:

I'll be out in the snow today myself, but only 3-5 inches -- nothing real deep.

#24 ·
I had to repair my Jeep with my own.

So:
1)I inspected all of fuses - all of them were in proper order.
2) Than I took the one end of the light cables and went forward: everything in Light Case was, OK
3) The next one to be inspected was the rear Bumper- there was the small Relay under the rear bumper, sitting inside the gray plastic box. After detailed observation discovered the minor crack through this one was leaking the water and made a lot of discomforts (starting from short circuit) for us - me and mu car.
4) The next step was drying the box and relay and applying the Silicone Sealant on the crack,
Everything was done perfectly and in time!

I could not take any photos - because I was alone, worked without any hepler and frozen fingers announced the independence from me.

I'll hunt Tomorrow!
Thank you very much Ignath!

#25 ·
Any time, my friend! That's why we have this website. Others may read this thread and get an idea how to fix their Patriot.

Honestly, I think you know more about electrical things than I do. You did a good job hunting down the problem. Now if you can do as well hunting animals you'll fill your freezer! Good luck!

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.