Jeep Patriot Forums banner

Sunroof / Leak Question, Comment

50K views 32 replies 25 participants last post by  Sandstone 
#1 ·
I noticed my sunroof leaking during heavy rain. I was concerned until the design was examined. I have never had a sunroof so an education was needed. It is simple mathmatics from what I see. If the drains keep up with the leak then there should not be a problem. That being said, the gasket must be in good condition. I don't expect a perfect seal as this would make the sunroof difficult to open/close.

The trick seems to be preventative maintenance. When the drains become clogged, and they will, leaking into the interior will become a problem. I plan to clean the drains during routine maintenance. Weed trimmer line should do nicely for snakeing out the drains. If I am missing something, please comment.

#2 ·
its not your job to clean the drain or unclog anything....

its a fundamental flaw, and there is no fixing it, and there is no solution. whatever you do will be temp., and then it will leak again... jeep doesn't admit, and they fail to stand behind their product, just like their dealers.

i have owned more than 5 cars over more than 2 decades, never had an issue with any sunroof/moonroof, anything...

i opened my sunroof maybe 3 or 4 times in a year, how does it become clogged??? i have 3 cars with sunroofs now, no issues! they sit outside in the driveway 365 days a year. NO ISSUES. its your jeep, plain and simple.

#3 ·
its not your job to clean the drain or unclog anything....
Then whose job is it? If leaves or dirt get in the drain it's the dealers job to clean them out? Your Pat had a problem with the sunroof, mine doesn't. Some do, lots don't. You got rid of it, I'm keeping mine. I'm sorry you had a bad experience, but, frankly, your ceaseless complaining doesn't help anyone to solve their problems. I think this idea about using a line to clean out the drain periodically is a great idea! All the posts I've read on this subject, this is the first to suggest some constructive preventative maintenance.

#6 ·
Following that line of thought, I wonder if using low pressure air would blow it out? In the parts manual, fig. 60-1005, it lists 4 drains, 2 front and 2 rear. It doesnt really show where they terminate. They do seem to be 1 piece hoses. It may be possible to blow them out. They also look to have a valve or fitting of some sort on the downstream end. Did you see any of that?

#8 ·
big problem with cleaning the drain tubes. the hangers for the tubes do not work well on SOME. search and see in the forums. if you jam something down them you can dislodge the tub causing a low point to fill with water. hit the brakes, the water rushes forward over flows gasket and enters cabin. This problem has been state by another member also, she stated that her dogs were in the cargo area and the dealer said a hit to the roof liner can cause the tube to "sag". Mine were sagging from the factory. Had mine fixed, no more leaks during braking.

just be careful what you do to "clean" them. jeep never intended them to be cleaned out by an ower. don't void your warranty by doing something stupid......

#9 ·
Mine leaked during the first hard rain after I purchased it. The dealer blew out the drain lines (there are four of them as mentioned earlier) and I have not had any issues since (and there have been many downpours since). Mine also sits outside in my drive way 24/7 and I have put 17,000 miles on it in 7 months which indludes open the sun roof numerous times with no issues.

#13 ·
That's what I thought, but I've got an '08 without a sunroof and I still have a leak somewhere...maybe not the roof, but around one of the doors. I've had it fixed once by the dealer, but the problem has returned after a couple years. It's not as bad as what I've seen with the sunroofs, but I do have water collect behind the driver's seat at times after very heavy rains (which we had many of this past year).

#16 ·
My 09 has no issues with water leak. Took into 12,000k service, the dealer did a "Rapid Response Transmittal", Jeep version of a recall? Recall# 09-044.
Which is a check of the sunroof to see if there is a "hole" on the side track on your Pat that could cause water leak. If there is, the dealer is to seal it, if not, do nothing. My Pat didn't have the hole, thus they only checked it.

#17 ·
There are so many water leak threads out there I finally decided to create a post addressing the common causes and solutions for the knowledge base.

Sunroof (Courtesy Roberttroll)
  • Sunroofs should not leak. The holes are to drain away "incidental" water. Meaning morning dew on your roof blown inside. Water should not be getting past the outer seal. You can test your sunroof alignment using a piece of paper.
  • "The sliding glass panel is designed to seal water entry with a snug fit between the roof and the seal. The fit can be checked by inserting a piece of paper between the roof and the seal. The piece of paper should have some resistance when pulled out when the glass panel is in the closed position. The sunroof housing will drain off a minimum amount of water. Excessive wind noise could result if the gap clearances are exceeded. The sunroof glass panel may need to be adjusted." (This would be completed by your dealer or by refer to Sunroof Glass Panel Adjustment in the Service Manual should you have one)
  • An easy way to rule out a sunroof leak is to run a bead of silicone around the edge of the sunroof. If it stops leaking then it is the seal. If I were out of options i would run a light bead of silicone on the inside edge, thereby creating a tighter roof/gasket seal.

Roof Rail Holes & Roof Welds

• Refer to the leak detection guide. (see bottom of post)
  • Should this be the issue you will have water coming from your dome light(s). You may also see water in the foot wells as it would be running down the A pillars and side beams.
  • Moisture in the area behind the driver or passenger seatbelt coil (beside the door) also indicates water leaking from the roof.
  • This is easily repaired by completely removing the headliner AND completely removing the roof rack. Ask your dealer to show you your Patriot once these two items are removed. If they cannot, or will not go elsewhere. If they say they did and you did not see it, it did not happen.
  • When these items are removed the area surrounding the roof rack holes can be cleaned. Silicone can be placed around the holes and assembly and the rack can be put back on and screwed together.
  • On the top of the roof you will see to long strips of black plastic stripping. That covers the roof line welds. They can be completely removed. Silicone sealant can be applied and the strips put back on. Surprisingly there is no need to re-weld anything as a good quality natural silicone will last forever and also ensure you can take these strips back off if you ever need to do so.
  • In almost all cases after a leak the headliner will have to be replaced due to the risk of mold. If water has made it down to the floor boards / foot wells the carpeting will have to be removed and replaced due to the risk of mold. Have your dealer show you the old headliner and/or old carpeting. If they cannot, or will not they were not replaced.
  • You can pry off the scuff plate at the base of the door and pull back your carpeting. Slide your hand under the carpeting checking for moisture. If it is there the carpeting must be removed and the area made completely dry.

Water/Moisture in Footwell Only

• This is likely a firewall or wiring harness gromet leak. To verify, it is important to check the A pillars (columns between the windshield and doors) for moisture. If you have no moisture there or coming from your dome light this is likely the cause. You can put a finger up and around the dome lights again checking for moisture.
  • No water or moisture in the roof area, however water on the floor board indicates a firewall, gromet or door weatherstripping failure. You can access these gromets by opening your driver door and looking into the fender area. You will see a large rubber gromet. Ensure it has not fallen out of place. Other gromets and holes through the firewall are accessable via the engine compartment.
  • In most cases you will require some dealer involvement to fix that issue, however because they do not own the Patriot themselves and likely do not care, it is best to tell them what to do and where to check. (sad but true)

Rear Tailgate/Liftgate Leak
  • This is likely the easiest leak to diagnose and repair yourself. In fact I recommend doing this fix even if you do not have a leak !
  • Water is found in the spare tire area.
  • You will see two areas where water can pool leading to a leak. Between the two liftgate hinges right in the top centre of the door frame you will see a plastic button (painted the same color as the rest of your Patriot). This plastic button can leak around the edges. Clean around the button with rubbing alcohol. Using a high quality silicone sealant seal around the button.
  • You will see a tube supplying window washer fluid to the rear window. Using the same procedure above seal around the hose and gromet to body panel using silicone.
  • The weather stripping surrounding the door frame should also be checked and pressed into place. This rubber weather stripping is usually stuck onto the frame using a soft black tar substance. It works well, however if not applied correctly as the factory water can sneak past. You may request your dealer to completely remove the rear hatch weather stripping, re-apply the goo, then re-install a new weather stripping. The old weather stripping cannot be used unless you want leaks and black tar all over your interior in a couple days.

Click here: Leak Detection Guide

What next?
So either you or your dealer have completed all the items above, but you still leak. Now what?

1. Document each visit to your dealer.
  2. Retain the invoices for each visit to your dealer, this invoice should detail the work completed.
  3. Ensure your dealer shows you what they completed.
  4. After two unsucessful attempts by the dealer, contact Chrysler and have them open a file. Request they contact the dealer.
  5. If the dealer says the Lemon Law does not apply or there is nothing you can do, DO NOT BELIEVE THEM.
  6. After three unsuccessful repair attempts, especially on a new Patriot it is Lemon Law time. Complete the paperwork/process detailed below:

Canada:
Canadian Motor Vehicle Arbitration Plan (CAMVAP)

United States:
Free Lemon Law Guide by State
Consumer Affairs
Lemon Law Basics

Yes, you will have to do some reading and yes it may take you a couple months but you will win. It is a huge pain to follow the process, but sometimes life is like that. You will also get a new Patriot or receive the purchse price back. There is no sense posting complaints about leak issues unless you have followed the process above.

#18 ·
There are so many water leak threads out there I finally decided to create a post addressing the common causes and solutions for the knowledge base.

Sunroof (Courtesy Roberttroll)
  • Sunroofs should not leak. The holes are to drain away "incidental" water. Meaning morning dew on your roof blown inside. Water should not be getting past the outer seal. You can test your sunroof alignment using a piece of paper.
  • The sliding glass panel is designed to seal water entry with a snug fit between the roof and the seal. The fit can be checked by inserting a piece of paper between the roof and the seal. The piece of paper should have some resistance when pulled out when the glass panel is in the closed position. The sunroof housing will drain off a minimum amount of water. Excessive wind noise could result if the gap clearances are exceeded. The sunroof glass panel may need to be adjusted." (This would be completed by your dealer or by refer to Sunroof Glass Panel Adjustment in the Service Manual should you have one)
  • An easy way to rule out a sunroof leak is to run a bead of silicone around the edge of the sunroof. If it stops leaking then it is the seal. If I were out of options i would run a light bead of silicone on the inside edge, thereby creating a tighter roof/gasket seal.

Roof Rail Holes & Roof Welds

• Should this be the issue you will have water coming from your dome light(s). You may also see water in the foot wells as it would be running down the A pillars and side beams.
  • Moisture in the area behind the driver or passenger seatbelt coil (beside the door) also indicates water leaking from the roof.
  • This is easily repaired by completely removing the headliner AND completely removing the roof rack. Ask your dealer to show you your Patriot once these two items are removed. If they cannot, or will not go elsewhere. If they say they did and you did not see it, it did not happen.
  • When these items are removed the area surrounding the roof rack holes can be cleaned. Silicone can be placed around the holes and assembly and the rack can be put back on and screwed together.
  • On the top of the roof you will see to long strips of black plastic stripping. That covers the roof line welds. They can be completely removed. Silicone sealant can be applied and the strips put back on. Surprisingly there is no need to re-weld anything as a good quality natural silicone will last forever and also ensure you can take these strips back off if you ever need to do so.
  • In almost all cases after a leak the headliner will have to be replaced due to the risk of mold. If water has made it down to the floor boards / foot wells the carpeting will have to be removed and replaced due to the risk of mold. Have your dealer show you the old headliner and/or old carpeting. If they cannot, or will not they were not replaced.
  • You can pry off the scuff plate at the base of the door and pull back your carpeting. Slide your hand under the carpeting checking for moisture. If it is there the carpeting must be removed and the area made completely dry.

Water/Moisture in Footwell Only

• This is likely a firewall or wiring harness gromet leak. To verify, it is important to check the A pillars (columns between the windshield and doors) for moisture. If you have no moisture there or coming from your dome light this is likely the cause. You can put a finger up and around the dome lights again checking for moisture.
  • No water or moisture in the roof area, however water on the floor board indicates a firewall, gromet or door weatherstripping failure. You can access these gromets by opening your driver door and looking into the fender area. You will see a large rubber gromet. Ensure it has not fallen out of place. Other gromets and holes through the firewall are accessable via the engine compartment.
  • In most cases you will require some dealer involvement to fix that issue, however because they do not own the Patriot themselves and likely do not care, it is best to tell them what to do and where to check. (sad but true)

Rear Tailgate/Liftgate Leak
  • This is likely the easiest leak to diagnose and repair yourself. In fact I recommend doing this fix even if you do not have a leak !
  • Water is found in the spare tire area.
  • You will see two areas where water can pool leading to a leak. Between the two liftgate hinges right in the top centre of the door frame you will see a plastic button (painted the same color as the rest of your Patriot). This plastic button can leak around the edges. Clean around the button with rubbing alcohol. Using a high quality silicone sealant seal around the button.
  • You will see a tube supplying window washer fluid to the rear window. Using the same procedure above seal around the hose and gromet to body panel using silicone.
  • The weather stripping surrounding the door frame should also be checked and pressed into place. This rubber weather stripping is usually stuck onto the frame using a soft black tar substance. It works well, however if not applied correctly as the factory water can sneak past. You may request your dealer to completely remove the rear hatch weather stripping, re-apply the goo, then re-install a new weather stripping. The old weather stripping cannot be used unless you want leaks and black tar all over your interior in a couple days.

Click here: Leak Detection Guide

What next?
So either you or your dealer have completed all the items above, but you still leak. Now what?

1. Document each visit to your dealer.
  2. Retain the invoices for each visit to your dealer, this invoice should detail the work completed.
  3. Ensure your dealer shows you what they completed.
  4. After two unsucessful attempts by the dealer, contact Chrysler and have them open a file. Request they contact the dealer.
  5. If the dealer says the Lemon Law does not apply or there is nothing you can do, DO NOT BELIEVE THEM.
  6. After three unsuccessful repair attempts, especially on a new Patriot it is Lemon Law time. Complete the paperwork/process detailed below:

Canada:
Canadian Motor Vehicle Arbitration Plan (CAMVAP)

United States:
Free Lemon Law Guide by State
Consumer Affairs
Lemon Law Basics

Yes, you will have to do some reading and yes it may take you a couple months but you will win. It is a huge pain to follow the process, but sometimes life is like that. You will also get a new Patriot or receive the purchse price back. There is no sense posting complaints about leak issues unless you have followed the process above.

#19 ·
OK so, now that rainy season is here (at least where I live) and considering my new Patriot has a sunroof, in the previous days I've been through this tremendous collection of "sunroof leak" posts.

Not only have I been reading here but also searching the web for some help on how to prevent leaks, how to detect them and the possible solutions.

I found this website (www.sunroofs.org) containing really interest info. The Care & Maintenance section has a very reasonable explanation to many questions and comments posted here, as follows:

"INTERNAL SLIDING SUNROOFS (moonroof or inbuilt)

This type of sunroof is usually found in luxury vehicles, although is also common among imports. The sunroof panel lowers and glides between the outside roof and headliner of the vehicle with the push of a button! Most have glass panels with a sliding panel shade, and many also include a tilt up vent mode. Follow the same glass frame and cable drive care instructions for a tilt-&-slide sunroof, then open the sunroof and maintain the inside.

Internal sunroofs lack the thick, smooth mainframe gasket found in pop-ups and tilt-&-slide sunroofs. Instead you'll usually find a soft thin fuzzy seal surrounding the glass and/or mainframe. This seal is designed to eliminate wind noise, not stop water. Inspect this seal and have it replaced by your local sunroof professional if it shows excessive wear.

A trough around the inside perimeter of the sunroof catches the water and channels it away to the ground through concealed drain tubes! This is called a water management system. Most leaks occur because debris builds up in the trough, clogging the drain holes (found in the corners), thus preventing drainage through the tubes. Sound confusing? It's really not! With the sunroof completely retracted, look inside to see the trough. Clean any dirt and remove debris with a damp cloth. Next, examine the drain holes to verify they are clear of any obstruction which may prevent water from draining through.

In some cases the drain tubes may be clogged and require a clean-out. Though the process is rather simple, usually a blast of compressed air and a long “pipe cleaner,” we highly recommend visiting your local sunroof professional! Improper cleaning or too much force may cause the drain tubes to detach, which would allow water to run directly into your vehicle. While you're there, your local sunroof professional can to re-lubricate and adjust the cables and track according to manufacturers specifications!"

This is the direct link: www.sunroofs.org/srcare.htm

Preventive Maintenance is the key.
Hope it helps. -Best

#21 ·
I have a 2008 that has been collecting water on the floor of the rear passenger side for a couple of months now. I just took it into the dealer a couple of days ago because the water leak team has been book (and was on vacation last week) to find out what the cause was. Once I found out I had a leak, my Patriot has been in a garage when it rained and only out for sunny days (not a lot of them.)

When I purchased it, I also purchased a Chrysler Maximum Protection warranty. Apparently, the cause of my leak is the sunroof drains are clogged, which I find puzzling since the sunroof has been open maybe 10 times in the 3 years I have owned the Patriot. (I bought it brand new in 2008). Not surprisingly, Chrysler is telling me that my repairs (the sunroof, the damage to my carpeting, etc) is NOT covered by the extended bumper-to-bumer warranty I purchased. It is considered a maintenance item. Except I can find no documentation that tells me where I have to schedule or perform any maintenance on my sunroof.

#23 ·
My '11 has seen plenty of rain with no obvious leaks. I have even checked the sunroof ditch for water and came up dry... I know it won't last forever though.

#24 ·
I have a 2009 Jeep Patriot and the past year, I get water leaking from the ceiling lights from inside.

I was looking at the area, with the sunroof open and I don't see any vents or openings. I know mine must be clogged, but how do I unclog them?

Also, when the gate is open, I see two small holes, with a black rubber piece in the upper part of the frame. Do I need to insert a very long wire into there to unclog it?

And is there a permanent fix for this?

Thanks for any help!
Wes

#25 ·
I guess this site is dead now? No responses in 2 days.

I had a 1992 Honda Accord and a 2006 Isuzu Rodeo, both with the same type of sun roof and never had a leak.

This is definitely a design flaw and I was wondering if anyone heard of a fix for it?

Thanks!
Wes

#26 · (Edited)
Use the search function! Hundreds of posts on leaks and how to fix them. You can even join a class action law suit. Some of the answers you are looking for are in this thread. Did you read the thread?

#28 · (Edited)
Yes, I read your thread and it has great details, but I can't see any drain holes in mine and the area is too small to stick my hand into, to feel around for it.

The seal is so tight, I don't see how so much stuff can get into there and clog it up? I can see some water getting into it, but there is quite a bit that leaks out from within inside, so it is puzzling on how that much water can get into it.

I guess it is leaking from somewhere else? The last time I took it to my dealer, they replaced a seal and cleaned it out and that stopped the leaking for about a year, so I don't think it is coming from somewhere else.

#29 ·
repair for water leaking into dome lights

I had water pouring out of my dome light several times. The dealer blew out the 2 drains near the sunroof. The last time it happened, all the electricals went crazy. I turned off the key and the car kept running. The dealer was useless. I called Chrysler Customer service. They gave me a case #. I took it to another dealer. There is a drain replacement that replaces the 4 roof drains with larger diameter drains. The water comes from the channels on the roof that are covered with plastic, not the sunroof. It is supposed to prevent the drains from becoming clogged. We'll see. Chrysler Customer service was very understanding and helpful; but I had to push.

#31 ·
large amounts of water should not get to the tray, thats for condensation, now of course sealing it ensures it wont leak. either warped glass, out of adjustment or bad seal. mine did not leak until it was 3 years old I think the seal got compressed I will buy another one and see if it fixes it

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.