Jeep Patriot Forums banner

Patriot Stalling Strangely

29K views 11 replies 11 participants last post by  Josh grimes 
#1 · (Edited)
I do love my 2011 Jeep Patriot. Bought it new 15 months ago and it has been great for me until a couple weeks ago. I am wondering if anyone has experienced the same problems. Took it to 2 different dealership but they don't seem to find much wrong with it.
It started a couple weeks ago. I noticed the clock had reset and engine light was on and it happened while it was not running. After 5-10 min. the engine light went out. Came back on a couple days later and took it in the dealership, they found nothing. Just a battery disconnect code. While backing out a couple days later it stalled and was totally dead, then a few minutes later it was fine again, without doing anything to it. Two days later again, went to the bank, came out and it would not start, totally blank dead. 20 minutes later it started and was fine. 2 days later, while backing out it stalled dead again. It started a couple minutes after but I could not drive more than 60km an hour, and the slightest hill would go down to 40km/hr. It would not shift in 3rd gear, and lights were dimming high and low high and low. Had it towed to dealership, Before the tow truck driver got here I started it to make sure it would and it did. 20 min. later the tow truck driver got in and again it was dead. 2-3 min. later it started. Although the dealership has tried to reproduce the same thing, they could not and tells me there is nothing wrong. The only code they get again is a battery disconnect. There is obviously something not functioning properly. Stalling while backing out on busy street is very scary. Once I have it in park to try restart it I cannot put it neutral to push it out of the way. So if anyone understand this or has had that problem, please answer to this post.
Thanks.

See less See more
#3 ·
The dealer should be checking all battery connections and cables. If those are all fine, then my next guess would be a bad TIPM and they should keep the vehicle to figure that one out. Random stalling out is a very unsafe situation and it endangers you and anyone behind you when it happens. Get them to take this a little more serious then just pulling codes.

#4 ·
Don't forget to check the battery under load too. as Todde and the others say, it's most likely a bad cable connection either at the battery or ground, but sometimes a battery going bad will mimic the same sort of problem. When the detected voltage drops too much the system shuts down.

#7 ·
my jeep stalling

Thanks for all the feedback. The dealership kept it for a few days and they did drive it home after they cleaned up a corroded ground, they explained. The problem never reproduced itself with them. They also questioned me as to who had installed the remote starter, which was already in when I bought it. But they seem to have done a good job. I have had it back for 2 days now and I have had no stalling - yet. I hope it is cured.
Thanks again for the concerns, Great informative site.

#8 ·
I am having the same problems of stalling while driving the Jeep Patriot on the highway. I am not alone in this complaint. Apparently it has to do with the transmission which Jeep changed in both the Patriot & Compass. The dealers don't know how to fix it and Jeep doesn't want to deal with it.

#9 ·
Doubt it's the transmission, have you had the gas tank recall done yet?

#11 · (Edited)
If you go into the wayback part of this site you see, over and over, years old threads resurrected with a new complaint. Most often by a poster with very low post count that you never ever see again.

Then a couple of other very low volume posters chip in and then the old thread again sinks back into obscurity.

This thread was almost 2 years old when it was posted to, with as you state a very low info post.

I think its robots myself, employed by other vehicle manufacturers.

#12 ·
Have a 2012 jeep patriot, was driving fine with no problems then got to a light and the airbag light came on radio started to cut in and out the all the lights came on on the dash pulled off the side of road into parking lot then shut it off to check the battery, their was corrosion on the positive side so I cleaned it thoroughly but wouldn't start back up. Tried to get a jump and it sparked real bad. I don't think the battery is dead but have no clue why it done what it did.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.