Will dry ice remove dents? [Archive] - Jeep Patriot Forums

: Will dry ice remove dents?

kentuckypatriot
12-07-2008, 04:59 PM
Years ago I read you could hold dry ice up against a minor dent in the metal and the cold would cause the dent to pop out. Using extremely heavy gloves of course.

Has anyone ever tried this? Is it possible the paint would get damaged? What are the special handling precautions for dry ice?

Bullet
12-07-2008, 05:13 PM
The only possible way for this to work is if the "dent" was on the verge of poping and just needed a little help.

And only dents that are soft ball size or larger might be able to do so.

Being a Paintless Dent Removal Tech, I run into this sometimes where some dents just need a push to come out, but they dont come out all the way, still have to do some work to them.

How minor is this dent?

kentuckypatriot
12-07-2008, 06:51 PM
Very minor. You have to be in the right light to notice it. Kind of like the stress ripples you see around the holes for the door handles only about in the middle of the door.

Bullet
12-07-2008, 07:15 PM
Probably a couple pushes with my tools and it would be gone!

I dont believe dry ice would fix something so minor.

nosirrahg
12-08-2008, 01:02 AM
I do know the hair dryer/upside-down can of keyboard cleaner won't do the trick...at least not on the dents I have in my El Camino! Having all three items on hand one day after I saw a video posted online, I decided to give it a shot...but either my hair dryer didn't get the sheet metal hot enough, or the body panels on the El Camino were just too thick (or too dented) to contract properly when I applied the freezing liquid, but I got no results from my experiment with this approach.

neilcrichton
12-08-2008, 01:13 AM
I've never tried these techniques, but go to YouTube and search for "removing dents", you'll get dozens of techniques. Here's one using a hair dryer and hair spray:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gZwBLUxjqhg

Creel
12-08-2008, 06:13 PM
Thought the hair dryer was a good idea till I ran into one vid http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=y06Gvf
warning about possible heat metal fatigue that could damage the car, make dent removal more labourous and expensive and increase road noise.

I wonder where you can get dry ice in the winter?
Always wanted to 'set up' a puck in the teachers washroom ;)

kentuckypatriot
12-09-2008, 05:12 PM
I saw a paintless dent removal guy take a dent out of a black car on the 6:00 am news not too long ago. It was really something to watch.

I don't think I would trust that extreme hot and cold method on the metal and the paint. Maybe on one of my other older cars but not the Patriot.

Bullet
12-09-2008, 10:19 PM
Too bad I didn't live in your area. Sounds like it could be a freebie! LOL

deepnite10
04-03-2010, 10:35 AM
to test the hair dryer, dry ice method..i tried it on my old volvo..it actually worked on a small dent without a crease in the panel..

a dent with a crease in it came out but the paint ended chipping off a well..

another time i called DentPros and they used a tool to press the dents out from the inside..but, it was kinda expensive..$60 to remove any interior panels
*each*..$60 for the first dent and $40 for any additional..

after a while i just gave up trying to get the dents out..and the most effective way of dealing with them is to spend a couple hundred bucks and have a good side molding installed..

homac
04-03-2010, 07:42 PM
I would avoid the dry ice and hair dryers folks. Although no one likes to spend money I would cough up the $50 and have someone remove it perfectly with the right tools.

They can really do a great job. Dent removal, although it can be DIY, can turn ugly fast if you make a mistake.

jepstr67
04-03-2010, 09:57 PM
Any dent that did not crease the metal should be able to be removed that way. I knew a guy with a black Jaguar who had the garage cave in on it and dent the roof. He parked it in the sun and heard a pop half an hour later. He went to look at the car and the huge dent was gone!

The hot cold method (dry ice or otherwise) of dent removal costs little and, if effective, saves you thousands. No harm in trying.

homac
04-03-2010, 11:07 PM
No harm in trying.

I have seen some folks try to correct dent issues, however seriously damage paint/finish. Then you have a dent and paint issue. Not to mention if you bent the metal withinn the dent.

jepstr67
04-04-2010, 08:58 AM
I have seen some folks try to correct dent issues, however seriously damage paint/finish. Then you have a dent and paint issue. Not to mention if you bent the metal withinn the dent.

I sometimes forget how inept some are with tools.

HooverBucs
04-05-2010, 11:22 PM
my graduation present will probably be getting the hit-and-run dent out of my fender.... its about the diameter of a softball, varying slightly..

ohh well.. ill prob take my dads ford to college tho. so e can use the pat.

roberttroll
04-07-2010, 08:56 PM
Dare i say try the "ding king". Worked real good for me.

homac
04-07-2010, 10:27 PM
Ha ha ha...

Which one do you mean? See below:

Ding King (http://www.dingking.com/)

OR

DIY Ding King (Billy Mays)
<object width="480" height="385"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/0JGXbIfeuRY&hl=en_US&fs=1&"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/0JGXbIfeuRY&hl=en_US&fs=1&" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="480" height="385"></embed></object>

Dare i say try the "ding king". Worked real good for me.