Spare Key Disaster [Archive] - Jeep Patriot Forums

: Spare Key Disaster

P8R1OT
09-13-2008, 02:30 PM
ok so I'm new to this site, I have been reading the fourms since I bought my 08 Surf Blue Patriot Sport but this is my first post so I hope you guys (and gals) can help me out!

I typically carry a spare key for any of my cars in my wallet in case i get locked out. Knowing that most modern cars have "chips" in the keys (even non-remote keys like mine) I know that a flat blank made by my local locksmith would probally not start the car...so I had a spare made and one day out of curiosity I tried to start the car with the fake spare, the car started and tunred off ( the "theft" red light flashed and went off). So out of morbid curiosity I tried it again (no clue why) and the car started and stayed on with the red light flashing (bottom right corner of the instrument panel). I turned the car off an left it be, figuring no harm no foul. Soon after I went to get an oil change and asked about getting a real spare, and heres the intresting part...

I was quoted a price of $140:mad: for the key and programing, needless to say i told him to keep it, I mentiond to my father (infront of the service rep) that i have seen keys w/chips on ebay for $20 or so, and it tells you how to program it in the manual. The service rep immetiatly told me that i was wrong and that the service manual is wrong, and that if i try to set up the key wrong or try to start the truck with an unprogrammed key more then 3 times i will "blow out" the computer and the car wont start, he claims "i see it all the time and peopl get their cars towed here and its not covered under warranty". :wow:SOOO, needless to say my stomach dropped...ive already tried twice so if i try to program my own key and i mess up will i "blow" the computer, or was this guy talking out his rear so i would spend my money there????? Has anyone heard of this?
Sorry bout the long post but this has been bugging me for a while!
Thanks

heckler
09-13-2008, 02:33 PM
hard to believe that it will be that bad. I'd more believe that the computer needs to be reset by the dealer after three tries.

http://img.dailymail.co.uk/i/pix/2008/04_02/023JeepAttackDM_468x342.jpg

heckler
09-13-2008, 02:37 PM
http://search.ebay.ca/jeep-patriot-key_W0QQdfspZ32QQfromZR40QQfsprZ0QQssPageNameZRC00 22QQ_trksidZp1638Q2em120

looks like they're around $65 on ebay. Go for it, and program it yourself.

http://cgi.ebay.ca/07-08-2007-2008-JEEP-COMPASS-PATRIOT-4X4-KEY-PROG_W0QQitemZ380063005032QQihZ025QQcategoryZ40016 QQssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

This one has some good info about remote keys.

heckler
09-13-2008, 02:40 PM
or $10 for the non-remote locks version...

I think I'll buy me some keys (on Ebay) before we loose our second one. Thanks for the reminder!

heckler
09-13-2008, 02:46 PM
http://cgi.ebay.ca/07-08-2007-2008-JEEP-COMPASS-PATRIOT-4X4-KEY-PROG_W0QQitemZ380063005032QQihZ025QQcategoryZ40016 QQssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

This one has some good info about remote keys.

$11 each + $30 shipping to Canada. Yikes!

GTP_MuNkY
09-13-2008, 02:47 PM
I'd call BS on this one...

Only because mines fine. I took the electronics out of the key and went to try and start it... It would start and then die as soon as I let go of the key. Then I tried it again, and again, and again. For about 20 minutes I tried it with and without the electronics in the key. One thing I did find is the only way I was able to get it to start without the electronics... was to take the electronics out while the jeep was running. Then I shut it off and fired it right back up with no problem. But as soon as I took the key out and tried again, it didn't work.

For people that don't like the key with the buttons on it (I hate it, I've hit the panic button several times while trying to start the Jeep) My mom was quoted $75 + install for a module to allow you to run a key without the buttons. This was for her 07 Liberty. Any shop that installs aftermarket keyless entry systems or alarms will have access to this module as well. I plan on getting one installed for a remote starter so I can have my keyless on a separate remote. The module is similar to the one you need to bypass the Theftlock system in GM vehicles.

Jamie

heckler
09-13-2008, 02:50 PM
http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/2006-2007-2008-Jeep-Commander-Compass-Patriot-key_W0QQcmdZViewItemQQ_trksidZp1742Q2em153Q2el1262 QQcategoryZ40016QQihZ024QQitemZ370079090818QQtcZph oto#ShippingPayment

This one's a better deal for Canadians.

cebjr46
09-13-2008, 03:01 PM
PAR1OT...leave your orginial key in the house and go out and start the car with the generic key..Bet it won't...your chipped key was closer enough to the wireless control module to pick up the signal....they have to be 6 feet away or it picks up the signal.

NickelPlate
09-13-2008, 03:35 PM
PAR1OT...leave your orginial key in the house and go out and start the car with the generic key..Bet it won't...your chipped key was closer enough to the wireless control module to pick up the signal....they have to be 6 feet away or it picks up the signal.

If that's true. Then you could just stow the electronic thing under the seat and use any old key (if you don't care about security). Would be interesting to try.

GTP_MuNkY
09-13-2008, 04:22 PM
That didn't work for me... the electronic "guts" of the key had to be right up to the ignition or it wouldn't start. Even with the guts sitting on my knee next to the ignition, it would not start.

Jamie

jack.allwardt
09-13-2008, 06:45 PM
My central CA dealer charged me $55 for a spare key, already programmed. The only problem is that if the door is locked with the remote--that turns on the alarm. Then manually unlocking and opening the door sets off the alarm until the manual key is in the ignition and switched on.

I know that you can get a regular key--no chip-- from most hardware store key shops. That is fine for those of us that sometimes lock our keys in the car.

furyman67
09-13-2008, 08:27 PM
the computer will not blow up, but after trying to start the 3rd time the theft module would have locked out the good key-then you would need to get the Jeep towed to the dealer to have the Jeep powered down(meaning the jeep would be left on to drain the battery for about an hour) then the keys need to be reprogramed. and it is not covered by warranty.
Tom

P8R1OT
09-14-2008, 11:19 PM
the computer will not blow up, but after trying to start the 3rd time the theft module would have locked out the good key-then you would need to get the Jeep towed to the dealer to have the Jeep powered down(meaning the jeep would be left on to drain the battery for about an hour) then the keys need to be reprogramed. and it is not covered by warranty.
Tom

thanks for the response guys..... furyman67, you sound like you know what your talking about, how did you find that out? is there any other way to reset the computer without reprogramming the keys? like disconnecting the battery etc...

I probally tried doing starting the car twice a few months ago, does the theft system remember that or does it have to be 3 consecutive starts?

homac
09-14-2008, 11:39 PM
How about some facts.....

See excerpt from the Service Manual. Nothing will "blow up". Please post the dealer name so we can all avoid them:

NOTE: When entering the PIN, care should be taken because the SKREEM will only allow 3 consecutive attempts to enter the correct PIN. If 3 consecutive incorrect PIN's are entered the SKREEM will Lock Out the scan tool. To exit Lock Mode, the ignition key must remain in the Run position for 1 hour. All accessories must be off. A battery charger connected to the battery during this time period is recommended.

NOTE: On vehicles equipped with a premium Tire Pressure Monitoring (TPM) system, when the SKREEM and/or the spare tire pressure sensor is replaced with a new unit, a diagnostic scan tool MUST be used to run a routine that allows the SKREEM to be programmed with the ID number and location of the spare tire pressure sensor mounted in the wheel of the spare tire. Follow the programming steps outlined in the diagnostic scan tool for “Learn Spare Tire Sensor ID” under “Miscellaneous Functions” for the “WCM/Wireless Control Module” menu item as appropriate. In addition, if the SKREEM is replaced, the spare tire must be dismounted from its wheel to access and note the ID number on the spare tire pressure sensor so that the ID code for that sensor can be programmed into the new SKREEM.

Reconnect the previously disconnected components and connectors.
Obtain the vehicle's unique Personal Identification Number (PIN) assigned to it's original SKREEM. This number can be obtained from the vehicle invoice or from the DaimlerChrysler Customer Center (Phone 1-800-992-1997).
NOTE: If the PCM and the SKREEM are replaced at the same time, program the PCM VIN into the PCM first. All vehicle keys will then need to be replaced and programmed to the new SKREEM.

With the scan tool, select Miscellaneous Functions, WCM/Wireless Control Module. Then select the desired procedure and follow the display on the scan tool.
If the vehicle is equipped with Tire Pressure Monitoring System program the Placard Pressure Values into the WCM/SKREEM.
Ensure all the customer's keys have been programmed into the new module if necessary.
With the scan tool, erase all DTCs. Perform 5 ignition key cycles, leaving the key on for at least 90 seconds per cycle.
With the scan tool, read SKREEM DTC(s).

NOTE: During PCM/ECM replacement, ensure to transfer the secret key information from the SKREEM to the new PCM. The PCM stores this information only. If the SKREEM ever needs to be replaced, the secret key information can be retrieved from the PCM and then transferred to the SKREEM for security use.

NOTE: If this vehicle is equipped with a Steering Column Lock Module, it must be replaced along with the SKREEM.

The Sentry Key REmote Entry Module (SKREEM) (3) is sometimes referred to as the Wireless Control Module (WCM). The SKREEM is the primary component of the Sentry Key Immobilizer System (SKIS). It is also the receiver for the Remote Keyless Entry (RKE) system and the Tire Pressure Monitor (TPM) system. The SKREEM is located on the right side of the steering column near the ignition lock cylinder housing and is concealed beneath the column shrouds. The molded black plastic housing for the SKREEM has an integral molded plastic halo-like antenna ring (1) that extends from one side. When the SKREEM is properly installed, the antenna ring is oriented around the circumference of the ignition lock cylinder housing.

A single integral connector receptacle (4) is located adjacent to the antenna ring on the SKREEM housing. An integral molded plastic mounting tab (2) on the SKREEM housing has a hole in the center through which a screw passes to secure the unit to the steering column lock housing. The SKREEM is connected to the vehicle electrical system through a single take out and connector of the instrument panel wire harness.

The SKREEM cannot be adjusted or repaired. If ineffective or damaged, the entire SKREEM unit must be replaced.

SENTRY KEY TRANSPONDER PROGRAMMING
All Sentry Keys included with the vehicle are pre-programmed to work with the Sentry Key Immobilizer System (SKIS) when it is shipped from the factory. The Sentry Key REmote Entry Module (SKREEM) (also known as the Wireless Control Module/WCM) may be programmed to recognize up to a total of eight Sentry Keys. When programming a blank Sentry Key transponder, the key must first be cut to match the ignition switch lock cylinder in the vehicle for which it will be used. Once the additional or new key has been cut, the SKREEM must be programmed to recognize it as a valid key. There are two possible methods to program the SKREEM to recognize a new or additional valid key, the Secured Access Method and the Customer Learn Method. Following are the details of these two programming methods.

SECURED ACCESS METHOD
The Secured Access method applies to all vehicles. This method requires the use of a diagnostic scan tool. This method will also require that you have access to the unique four-digit PIN code that was assigned to the original SKREEM. The PIN code must be used to enter the Secured Access Mode in the SKREEM. This PIN number may be obtained from the vehicle owner, from the original vehicle invoice, or from the DaimlerChrysler Customer Center. (Refer to 8 - ELECTRICAL/ELECTRONIC CONTROL MODULES - STANDARD PROCEDURE - PCM/SKREEM PROGRAMMING).

CUSTOMER LEARN METHOD
NOTE: The Customer Learn feature is only available on domestic vehicles, or those vehicles which have a U.S. country code designator. This programming method also requires access to at least two valid Sentry Keys. If two valid Sentry Keys are not available, or if the vehicle does not have a U.S. country code designator, the Secured Access Method MUST be used to program new or additional valid keys to the SKREEM.

The Customer Learn programming method procedures are as follows:

1. Obtain the blank Sentry Key(s) that are to be programmed as valid keys for the vehicle. Cut the blank key(s) to match the ignition switch lock cylinder mechanical key codes.
2. Insert one of the two valid Sentry Keys into the ignition switch and turn the ignition switch to the ON position.
3. After the ignition switch has been in the ON position for longer than 3 seconds, but no more than 15 seconds, cycle the ignition switch back to the OFF position. Replace the first valid Sentry Key in the ignition switch lock cylinder with the second valid Sentry Key and turn the ignition switch back to the ON position. The second valid Sentry Key must be inserted in the lock cylinder within 15 seconds of removing the first valid key.
4. About 10 seconds after the completion of STEP 3, the security indicator in the instrument cluster will start to flash and a single audible chime will sound to indicate that the system has entered the Customer Learn programming mode.
5. Within 60 seconds of entering the Customer Learn programming mode, turn the ignition switch to the OFF position, replace the valid Sentry Key with a blank Sentry Key transponder, and turn the ignition switch back to the ON position.
6. About 10 seconds after the completion of STEP 5, a single audible chime will sound and the security indicator will stop flashing, stay ON solid for 3 seconds, then turn OFF to indicate that the blank Sentry Key has been successfully programmed. The SKIS will immediately exit the Customer Learn programming mode. After the ignition is cycled the vehicle may be started using the newly programmed valid Sentry Key.
Each of these steps must be repeated and completed in their entirety for each additional Sentry Key that is to be programmed. If the above steps are not completed in the given sequence, or within the allotted time, the SKIS will exit the Customer Learn programming mode and the programming will be unsuccessful. The SKREEM will also automatically exit the Customer Learn programming mode if it sees a non-blank Sentry Key transponder when it should see a blank, if it has already programmed 8 valid Sentry Keys, or if the ignition switch is turned to the OFF position for more than about 50 seconds.

NOTE: If an attempt is made to start the vehicle while in the Customer Learn mode (security indicator flashing), the SKIS will respond as though the vehicle were being started with an invalid key. In other words, the engine will stall after about two seconds of operation. No faults will be set.

NOTE: Once a Sentry Key has been programmed as a valid key to a vehicle, it cannot be programmed as a valid key for use on any other vehicle.

hunter44102
09-15-2008, 09:41 AM
You can buy the Sentry key blanks for like $25:
http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/2007-2008-Jeep-Patriot-Transponder-key_W0QQcmdZViewItemQQcategoryZ40016QQihZ021QQitem Z310082755240QQrdZ1QQsspagenameZWDVW

You program them yourself, but you first have to take it to a locksmith to match to your original key