what speed of impact triggers the active head restraints? [Archive] - Jeep Patriot Forums

: what speed of impact triggers the active head restraints?

rblt
07-16-2011, 07:42 PM
My wife stopped at a red light in her 2010 Patriot and was rear-ended by a Mazda pickup. She was alone in the vehicle, however both front head restraints sprung forward. We visited the dealership to see about having the headrest reset as it is now a bit to far forward for her to drive. The service tech advised it couldn't be reset until the body repairs are done as the sensor in the rear bumper would need to be replaced. He also suggested that the impact must have been more than 30kmh to trigger the headrests.

Upon calling to report the insurance claim, the insurance agent suggests that the impact was probably about 10kmh and that the restraints must have been defective, which I doubt as they both triggered.

Does anyone here on the forum have information as to what speed of rear impact would trigger the active head restraints?

thanks.

MrJeepR44
07-16-2011, 08:14 PM
I read in the manual how to reset them, but I don't remember what speed it said, if it even said. I'll see if I can post a page number

Afmcronnie
07-16-2011, 10:02 PM
Resetting Active Head Restraints (AHR)
If the Active Head Restraints are triggered in an accident, you must reset the head restraint on the driver’s and front passenger seat. You can recognize when the Active Head Restraint has been triggered by the fact that they have moved forward (as shown in step three of the resetting procedure).

1. Grasp the deployed AHR from the rear seat.
2. Position the hands on the top of the deployed AHR at a comfortable position.
3. Pull down then rearward towards the rear of the vehicle then down to engage the
locking mechanism.
4. The AHR front soft foam and trim half should lock into the back decorative plastic half.