What is Air Conditioning Bypass? [Archive] - Jeep Patriot Forums

: What is Air Conditioning Bypass?

MINIcommander
01-31-2007, 10:27 PM
What is air conditioning bypass? Is it Jeep's way of saying that there is no air conditioning? Does it work like regular air conditioning?

superdave
02-01-2007, 01:32 AM
Im not sure of the context of your question but I would assume that it means your using the vent, as in the a/c system blowing air without using the actual a/c compressor.

HoosierMud
02-01-2007, 06:27 AM
Could Jeep be referring to "bypass" (not purchase) the a/c option?

DMAG
02-01-2007, 08:55 AM
I believe it is just that Jeep offers the vehicle without A/C.

I'm guessing you are looking at an order sheet or an online pricing tool?

It's ordering option 4XA Air Conditioning Bypass (a $0 option). Since it's a no-cost option, my guess it is simply AC delete.

Brett
02-01-2007, 09:19 AM
I'm sure that is the air conditioning delete choice.

Although, that does make me think about vehicles that my parents had when I was growing up. Every vehicle they purchased prior to 1987 did not have air conditioning. These vehicles were hot in the summer time, but not completely unbearable with the vents and windows open.

Now, fast forward to present day. My daily driver is a 1996 Toyota Corolla and it does not have air conditioning. On hot days, it does not do a very good job of drawing cooler outside air. Or, if it does, it gets heated up through the ductwork in the dashboard before hitting my sweaty face. Other cars I have owned are unbearable in the summertime if the a/c is broken.

My point is, those older cars did a better job of keep their occupants comfortable in the summer because the designers kept the no a/c option in mind.

This is the first time that I've seen a no a/c option referred to as an "a/c bypass". It would be nice to see a design that does a better job of drawing cooler outside air when the a/c option wasn't chosen.

/end long winded discussion

TJsmith
02-01-2007, 09:34 AM
Air conditioning bypass means that the vehicle with turn off the compressor under full throttle for a few extra horsepower. Nearly very vehicle with a/c has it.

Brett
02-01-2007, 09:41 AM
Air conditioning bypass means that the vehicle with turn off the compressor under full throttle for a few extra horsepower. Nearly very vehicle with a/c has it.

I'll agree with you that 99% of vehicles have it - they de-energize the compressor clutch under WOT.

I don't think they would list it as a choice if it's incorporated as a feature on nearly every vehicle on the road.

MINIcommander
02-01-2007, 10:49 PM
Thanks to all of you I think I get it now. It just seems odd that they would label it as a/c bypass. I think it's written that way so you think that you are getting some form of a/c. To me it sounds better than no a/c.

securitya8
12-02-2008, 02:55 AM
buildingregister.com Air conditioning and building security servcies

2008patriot
12-02-2008, 06:17 AM
buildingregister.com Air conditioning and building security servcies

hello spam:pepper:

Schoat333
12-02-2008, 08:48 AM
Newer engines are designed with air conditioning compressors. When they design the accessory belt routing, its designed to go around a compressor. When the compressor is not there, they have to install an idler pulley and bracket (aka a/c Bypass) to rout the belt correctly so the other accessories function properly.

In other words, a/c is standard but it can be deleted with this bypass bracket and pulley.

airconditiong03
12-03-2008, 05:07 AM
Air conditioning and building security services (buildingregister.com)

Hitzy
12-03-2008, 08:41 AM
I don't think they offer the Patriot withour a/c.

jepstr67
12-03-2008, 09:12 AM
In 07 Patriots were offered with A/C as and option. It comes standard on 08's and 09's. The A/C bypass is a chunk of plastic duct that goes where the A/C stuff would be to allow outside air to flow into the car.

A/C bypass = vent.