Check transmission oil HOW OFTEN! [Archive] - Jeep Patriot Forums

: Check transmission oil HOW OFTEN!

jepstr67
02-10-2008, 10:11 AM
I was reading the owners manual and going over the maintenance schedule. It says to check the level of the manual transmission every oil change. WHAT? Is this a new car thing? Does the 5 speed have some kind of hole in it? I have numerous Jeeps with manual transmissions and every 25K has been plenty often to bother to check the transmission oil.

kanus
02-10-2008, 10:38 AM
I agree- every oil change seems excessive. I'm going to check mine at the next oil change (15,000 km) and if the level hasn't dropped, that will give me faith that it's not going to drop quickly in the future.

heckler
02-10-2008, 10:13 PM
there's a dipstick, right?

so what's the big deal with checking the dipstick once every couple months?

jepstr67
02-12-2008, 03:42 PM

On a manual transmission? That would be a new one. All manual transmissions I have ever come in contact with require removal of an oil fill plug somewhere on the case. Then, since you can never see in there, you need to check the oil level by feeling with a finger. All while lying on the ground under the car, unless you are lucky enough to have a hoist.

kanus
02-12-2008, 07:25 PM
On a manual transmission? That would be a new one. All manual transmissions I have ever come in contact with require removal of an oil fill plug somewhere on the case. Then, since you can never see in there, you need to check the oil level by feeling with a finger. All while lying on the ground under the car, unless you are lucky enough to have a hoist.

I saw the plug when I was changing my oil. It looks a little hard to get at but I haven't tried yet- I'm saving it for my next oil change. I could see that the plug had a "fin like" thing on the front of it, almost like a wing nut, which looks like you're supposed to unscrew it by hand. You can see it on the attached drawing from the service manual (Item 1)

taseal
02-12-2008, 11:22 PM

there is no 'oil dipstick' thingy for manuals.

well not that i've ever seen in my life.

jepstr67
02-13-2008, 03:06 PM
I saw the plug when I was changing my oil. It looks a little hard to get at but I haven't tried yet- I'm saving it for my next oil change. I could see that the plug had a "fin like" thing on the front of it, almost like a wing nut, which looks like you're supposed to unscrew it by hand. You can see it on the attached drawing from the service manual (Item 1)

Where did you get a repair manual? Is it a book or CD ROM?

kanus
02-13-2008, 06:17 PM
Where did you get a repair manual? Is it a book or CD ROM?

Thanks to Nearly.Normal.Jimmy, you can find the download link for the service manual from this thread-
http://www.jeeppatriot.com/forum/showthread.php?t=4066

kanus
03-27-2008, 03:45 PM
Well I decided to check my transmission fluid level at 15,000 km (9,000 miles) when I did my 3rd oil change. Lucky I did, as I couldn't feel the fluid level when I put my finger in the inspection hole. I then proceeded to add fluid until it just started to run out the inspection hole. It took over half a litre (quart).

I don't know what the total capacity is (it's not in the owner's manual or the service manual) but over half of a litre sounds like a lot to have to add. There were no signs of leakage. I suspect it left the factory without being topped up. I've never had to add transmission fluid in any vehicle I've had with a manual transmission. In my Corolla, I changed the fluid at 100,000 km and the level was still fine.

I'm going to check the level again next oil change to see if it is actually consuming oil.

It wasn't too hard to check and add fluid. From under the car, I removed the rubber inspection plug using a pair of pliers (it just pulls out). I was able to reach in and feel the level with my finger, even though it is a bit tight and is a bit of a reach. To add oil, I had to remove the air filter housing. From the top, I was able to remove the rubber fill plug, again using pliers. I added fluid using a funnel which has a long flexy end on it. As I was pouring the fluid, I could easily see the inspection hole. I could see the fluid reach the bottom of the hole so I was able to stop pouring before it ran out. Now I have done it once, I could probably check the fluid in about 5 minutes and adding the fluid would probably take another 10 minutes.

The owner's manual calls for Mopar ATF+4 MS9602. They didn't have Mopar at my local Canadian Tire but luckily they had Valvoline ATF+4 full synthetic which says it is "Officially licenced & Chrysler approved ATF+4 fluid. Recommended for most Chrysler, Dodge, Plymouth & Jeep vehicles".

snowhownd
01-29-2009, 08:38 PM
We just had the same issue @ 25,000 miles. Complained to the dealer that the shifting was notchy and they checked the level and it was 1/2 quart low. I don't drive the Patriot every day (my fiance's), so I'm not exactly sure when the notchy-ness began - probably slowly over time then this winter it was more obvious with cold temps. Very strange - as mentioned above, I've never had a manual lose fluid. They said they checked for leaks and were puzzled as well why it would have lost any. Hmmm - a mystery!!!

Harbor
01-30-2009, 09:49 AM
See Homac's post from "The Knowledge Base". His pics are 1st rate.

Also, RedLine Oil makes a synthetic ATF+4 that may help with the notchy shifting and cold weather balkiness.

http://www.jeeppatriot.com/forum/showthread.php?t=7492