Did the black muffler mod! [Archive] - Jeep Patriot Forums

: Did the black muffler mod!

Pages : [1] 2

jackster
09-10-2007, 09:11 AM
Thanks for the idea, Phantom. I probably would have done it too, eventually, but you helped expedite the process. :) What'chall think?

Everyone's Envy
09-10-2007, 09:29 AM
Need to do that on ours too... real nice!!!

Dmentd_Dan
09-10-2007, 09:45 AM
Looks good!

johnda
09-10-2007, 10:20 AM
Very sharp!

JRX
09-10-2007, 01:35 PM
Good job. A definitely worthwhile mod. After a few months maybe let us know how its holding up, and what kind of paint(s) you used.

Randoo-N-CJ
09-10-2007, 01:41 PM
Looks excellent.
I'll even take it a step further and say I bet it would look good on *any* color car (someone in another post thought it would look good on dark colors) for this reason: From the rear view, the shine of the muffler brings the eyes down below the bumper. Almost detracting in a way, isn't it? If the bumper (on any color of Pat) were flat black, at least the eyes wouldn't be pulled down as quickly, to below the bumper line.
Again, great job jackster. I might have to do the same with ours, just to tone down the shine a little bit. (I'll photoshop it first to get an idea if I'm right or not!)
Randy

jackster
09-10-2007, 01:42 PM
Thanks everyone. I agree with you Randoo, about detracting or whatever.

I used the stuff you paint grills with. It works on my Harley exhaust, so if it works on that, it will definitely work on this. You can pick it up just about anywhere, but I got it at Advance Auto Parts.

nearly.normal.jimmy
09-10-2007, 04:20 PM
Everyone is using flat black...

Do you all think gloss would be a bit too much??

Or is grill paint not available in gloss to begin with?

If it is I think I might buy both and do the first coat in gloss and see how it looks. If it's bad, dot the 2nd and 3rd in flat.

Jim

Randoo-N-CJ
09-10-2007, 04:59 PM
Everyone is using flat black...

Do you all think gloss would be a bit too much??

Jim

I can't speak for anyone else, but my logic for using flat black is twofold:

1- I just want to take away the distraction of silver below the bumper without actually hilighting the area with another shine, and
2- I am a lousy painter by my own admission. If there are runs, streaks, etc in a gloss paint, it shows. Those are usually hidden a little better in a flat paint.
I paint like I golf..usually spray it all over. :(
Just as in my golf game, it's a matter of LOFT,

Lack Of Flippin' Talent

mealso
09-10-2007, 05:03 PM
Good job. A definitely worthwhile mod. After a few months maybe let us know how its holding up, and what kind of paint(s) you used.

I painted my Caliber muffler 14 months ago and it's still fine.

jackster
09-10-2007, 05:30 PM
They make clear, but it is hard to find. If I had it I would use it. I might order it, but I don't think it would detract like the silver, since mine is black.

SamsJeep
09-10-2007, 06:50 PM
Awesome job to those that have done that mod

NoneRequired
09-10-2007, 10:12 PM
Looks great. I see you did the tail pipe too. The other pics on here looked like the tail pipe was masked and left shiny. I bought the paint on Saturday to do mine, then it rained... typical.. Now it's next weekend's project.

jackster
09-10-2007, 11:38 PM
It is nice to have a garage. Hopefully you will get some sun soon .

Phantom2007
09-12-2007, 09:41 PM
I like the black tail pipe out of the muffler, might have to update mine and make it all "Disappear." looks good!

jackster
09-12-2007, 09:48 PM
Thanks, you were the inspiration. Man that sounds gay.

nearly.normal.jimmy
09-12-2007, 10:24 PM
Not that there's anything Wrong with that!.......

:banana:

jackster
09-12-2007, 10:25 PM
No, not at all. We've all got a little gay inside.

i2canoe
09-14-2007, 04:36 PM
Sure wish I saw this sooner, just had my vehicle rust proofed and undercoated. I am sure it would be impossible to paint my muffler now as completely coated with the undercoat oil.

Gaze
09-14-2007, 04:39 PM
I considered this almost immediately when I bought the car but ultimately decided to wait and see how it handles conditions that would lead to rust.

The muffler is so obvious beneath the car that I'm afraid painting it flat black would draw more attention to a "backyard job" than just letting it be.

Copper
09-14-2007, 04:40 PM

Taste the rainbow Sergeant. Taste the rainbow. LMAO. Hooah!

MEGULA
09-14-2007, 06:24 PM

Inside what, praytell? :p

jackster
09-14-2007, 08:08 PM
Taste the rainbow Sergeant. Taste the rainbow. LMAO. Hooah!

Mmm, I love Skittles. Hooah! :P

As far as the backyard job statement, it doesn't require a degree in physics to be able to properly paint a muffler at home.

jackster
09-14-2007, 08:10 PM
Inside what, praytell? :p

Inside that little space that makes you think weird and strange thoughts, but only the act qualifies you!

MEGULA
09-14-2007, 08:40 PM
Inside that little space that makes you think weird and strange thoughts, but only the act qualifies you!

HA!

For a second I thought you were referring to the bungholio, Cornholio. :p

Gaze
09-14-2007, 09:22 PM
As far as the backyard job statement, it doesn't require a degree in physics to be able to properly paint a muffler at home.

Not my point. (I paint cars as a hobby anyway so I'm really not concerned with it --> http://public.fotki.com/gazetowardthesky/paint_jobs/ )

What I'm saying is that on a brand new car, I feel like a black spray painted muffler will look like... well, a black spray painted muffler.

jackster
09-14-2007, 11:17 PM
Well it looks better than it did, so you do what you feel you need to in order to make yours suit your preferences, and I will do so to mine. Then we can all get along, and be a merry little bunch.

Gaze
09-15-2007, 12:30 AM
Absolutely... just stating my opinion (the beauty of these online forums!)

jackster
09-15-2007, 02:51 PM
Go ahead and moderate away.

Copper
09-15-2007, 02:53 PM
Absolutely... just stating my opinion (the beauty of these online forums!)

I disagree... the beauty of these online forums is post#25 of this thread. :pepper:

steel5blue
09-15-2007, 11:00 PM
Not my point. (I paint cars as a hobby anyway so I'm really not concerned with it --> http://public.fotki.com/gazetowardthesky/paint_jobs/ )

What I'm saying is that on a brand new car, I feel like a black spray painted muffler will look like... well, a black spray painted muffler.

I did the black barbecue amateur thing on my steelblue Compass five months ago, and it sure looks better than the professional galvanized factory version.
Unless you get down on your knees to inspect the muffler up close, you surely would not know my paint job isn't theirs :smiley_thumbs_up:.

nearly.normal.jimmy
09-15-2007, 11:09 PM
I don't think (may be wrong) that Gaze was saying Jackster's job looks backyard at all. At least I didn't get that vibe.

I believe he was just saying that anytime you take a spray can to a car to do any mods, you are running the risk of making it look back yard, and that there is so much real estate showing on the muffler that if you screw it up, you have a huge driving billboard back there flashing 'home made'.

steel5blue
09-15-2007, 11:36 PM
If it was on the body of the car, i'd agree. A screw-up on the muffler would just require sanding it off and starting over. Repeat: imo the factory galvanized looks just as "back yard" or not as any half decent flat black spray can job.

jackster
09-16-2007, 09:23 AM
Thanks Steel5blue. I mean- if I sprayed flames on the side of it with a rattle can, then I could see the problem, but when you're painting a muffler, it's pretty hard to go wrong.

pistol peter
09-19-2007, 03:55 PM
Did you take off the muffler or did you just paint it while it's on the car???

Gaze
09-19-2007, 04:00 PM
I don't think (may be wrong) that Gaze was saying Jackster's job looks backyard at all. At least I didn't get that vibe.

I believe he was just saying that anytime you take a spray can to a car to do any mods, you are running the risk of making it look back yard, and that there is so much real estate showing on the muffler that if you screw it up, you have a huge driving billboard back there flashing 'home made'.

That's exactly what I was trying to say. I know it's hard to noticeably screw this up, I was just making a comment. Hell if in a couple of months I'm sick of the enormous exposed muffler, I might do something like this myself.

Dmentd_Dan
09-19-2007, 04:17 PM
I am just waiting for someone to do this mod on their wife's butt! lol Logic dictates that if it makes the muffler less noticable.... lmao!

err ummm (just in case my wife reads this I am not talking about you sweety)

jackster
09-19-2007, 05:56 PM
That is messed up Dan. I bet you wouldn't say that if she frequented this forum. :D

Peter- I painted it on the car, but I used a big piece of cardboard to protect everything else. I was gonna take it off, but since it is welded to the entire exhaust pipe I decided against it.

Dmentd_Dan
09-19-2007, 06:18 PM
That is messed up Dan. I bet you wouldn't say that if she frequented this forum. :D

Peter- I painted it on the car, but I used a big piece of cardboard to protect everything else. I was gonna take it off, but since it is welded to the entire exhaust pipe I decided against it.

;) My bravery is dierctly proportional to the hell I catch from opening my big mouth! :p

jackster
09-19-2007, 09:13 PM
Remember this phrase: "Open mouth, insert foot here!" :D

patnorth23
09-19-2007, 09:18 PM
Great job. Would BBQ paint work?

jackster
09-19-2007, 10:00 PM
Thanks, and that is what I used. It works better than anything else I've tried.

ordonje
09-20-2007, 10:04 PM
how about stove paint...with a bristle brush or a foam brush?
You paint exactly what you want with no chance of overspray....

jackster
09-21-2007, 02:22 PM
That would work too!

Stagethree
09-29-2007, 10:47 PM
Hi all,

Soon to be owner of a 08.

I thought it was the GAS tank!:confused::o

I don't like that bright silver showing on any color.
That's one of the first thing's I seen when checking at the dealer.:p

That being said, I have worked for a major paint company for 35+ years.
Is the muffler galvanized?

If it is you would be better to wait for it to age awhile.
Like maybe a year, maybe less with more exposure to the elements.

Fresh galvanizing has very poor adhesion.
Sand or treat first before coating or it will surely be flaking soon.:(

I don't think they would use plain metal muffler? :confused:

REPUBLIC
10-01-2007, 01:53 AM
Hello All!
Used Wal-mart Krylon BBQ 1200 deg F paint.
was less than $5.00/. used a piece of cardboard just in case....
I did not paint the shinny heat shields as the engineers may
have designed their reflectivity into their protection ability...
only took a few min's & I left the muffler tip silver.altho I painted
the welded area where it was attached into the muffler....WOW
this looks a LOT better ,I am glad I took a few minutes & a few dollars....
The factory should have caught this eye sore!!!!!!!got enough paint left over
if I need to touch up after the winter. Painted it all the way back unto
the exhaust pipe .

needboost
10-06-2007, 03:19 PM
Here is my 07 "Jeep Green" Patriot with a freshly painted muffler.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v480/98itr/SubyandRacePics/JeppPatriot3-2.jpg

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v480/98itr/SubyandRacePics/JeppPatriot2-2.jpg

For those asking about gloss paint. I have used brake caliper paint for mufflers before and it works well too. It is more of a semi gloss, and has heat resistance that will work with mufflers.

MSilver
10-09-2007, 11:55 AM
My brother painted my Patriot muffler flat black using engine header spray paint rated to withstand 1500 degrees F. He's a body mechanic guy and did a great job. Immediately after applying the paint, he ran the engine to "bake" the paint and bond better with the metal. Looks a heck of a lot better than the silver thing hanging there like underwear. As you can see in the pic, he left the tailpipe unpainted. We'll see how it holds up.

http://rides.webshots.com/photo/2422155550035849719vZrglT
http://rides.webshots.com/photo/2183883360035849719spJert

MSilver
10-09-2007, 01:01 PM
Hmmm. Okay, lemme try that again .......

http://www.jeeppatriot.com/gallery/showphoto.php?photo=509&ppuser=3691

crispy17
11-14-2007, 04:14 PM
I just fiished painting mine with Caterpillar Black Muffler Paint PN 4C-4199, and I have to say it's a huge improvement in the looks department. I never noticed it before, but after reading through this thread it got me to thinking about it. Painted the entire bottom, sides, some of the top, as well as the tailpipe. I basically tried to cover as much as one could possiibly see.
Great idea.

stretch
11-26-2007, 10:42 PM
Phantom, where did you get your dog gate?

ejkelvin
11-27-2007, 02:05 PM
looks sharp, thanks for the pics

AGOG
11-27-2007, 03:56 PM
Did you know black mufflers are standard on all European Pats

RHill
11-28-2007, 12:04 AM
That looks good. The first Patriot I saw left the parking garage at work in front of me. It was white and what I saw besides Patriot on the bumper was the "thing" under the bumper. My thought was that it looked like it doesn't do much for ground clearance and if it is the gas tank, its not very protected. I now know it's the muffler.

I think that it would look better painted flat black on any color Patriot. Flat black VHT paint would probably last best over the years. Good prep would probably delay flaking. Doing it as quickly as possible after picking up a Patriot would be best.

FWIW and YMMV. :)

suzq044
12-02-2007, 02:01 PM
it now looks like there is a tire under there instead. lol

RTracer
12-23-2007, 05:43 PM
Thats awsome. The first thing I told myself I'd do once we take delivery of our Patriot is to paint the ugly arse tank/muffler.
I had envisioned some sort of hightemp flat black spray.
Looks like I'm not the only one

taseal
02-12-2008, 11:38 PM
looks nice!

I think it would stand out if I paint it black on a white car though, so perhaps silver is good for me lol

blkpat08
04-07-2008, 12:14 AM
whats with the "mk" I feel dumb asking but honestly I dunno

I painted my muffler today (my riot is black) and it looks way better. We used engine paint that could stand up to 1500 and what a HUGE improvement. So far no one else here has done that so I'll be starting something here Im thinkin! Polished it all up and it looks better than the day I bought it

DrugRunR
04-07-2008, 07:19 AM
http://www.jeeppatriot.com/forum/attachment.php?attachmentid=771&d=1189426250
Looks very nice. Once my wife gets her Tahoe out of the body shop, I can get my PAT back and do some mods.

DrugRunR
04-07-2008, 07:22 AM
Hmmm. Okay, lemme try that again .......

http://www.jeeppatriot.com/gallery/showphoto.php?photo=509&ppuser=3691

http://www.jeeppatriot.com/gallery/data/508/DSCF0003.JPG
http://www.jeeppatriot.com/gallery/data/508/DSCF0002.JPG

right click on the photo you want to view.
Click on properties.
Copy the url (which is http://www.jeeppatriot.com/gallery/data/508/DSCF0003.JPG for the above picture)
Type then paste the URL and then put after it.

Will H
04-14-2008, 09:56 PM
Did my "08" muffler this afternoon after work. Only took about 15 min. What a difference it makes in making the vehicle look better and not seeing that cheesey shiny muffler. You guys have good ideas on this site.:smiley_thumbs_up: Pick up my skid plates and cabin filter this Saturday.

DrugRunR
04-14-2008, 10:17 PM
It took me all of 5 mins to paint it.
I sat on the sofa for 5 mins shaking the can.
Put the 2 kids in the car seats and started the Pat
Laid on the ground and painted it.
No cardboard or taping.
Just did fast passes @ 6 inches away.
Remember you can do multiple coats.
With the PAT warming up, the muffler will start to get warm and help the paint dry enough for a second coat.
I didn't paint the tail pipe.
Once I was finished I drove the kids to the get some gas and then the park.
I left the car running when I pumped the gas. You could smell the paint curing.
That was Sunday afternoon. I don't smell paint anymore....
It looks GREAT.
Looks like the botom of the trunk if the PAT had one.

JoeBecker
04-15-2008, 09:12 PM
Finally warm enough here in Indianapolis to paint!

Before painting (Way tooo ugly!)

http://www.jeeppatriot.com/forum/picture.php?albumid=146&pictureid=946

After painting (Where did it go?)

http://www.jeeppatriot.com/forum/picture.php?albumid=146&pictureid=945

Close up (I did not paint the top nor the heat shield)

http://www.jeeppatriot.com/forum/picture.php?albumid=146&pictureid=944

Exhaust tip close up (I painted it all black)

http://www.jeeppatriot.com/forum/picture.php?albumid=146&pictureid=943

OnRoad
04-15-2008, 10:08 PM
Saturday was my play date for this mod:

I am really happy with the results.

Mak001
04-16-2008, 02:46 PM
Finally got a chance to do mine as well...

Before

After

Now how hard was that? Not hard at all:smiley_thumbs_up:

Jimmythebum
04-16-2008, 08:25 PM
I just went to look at my new Patriot at the dealer here in Australia and it looks like they come with the "black muffler mod" stock over here.

psaulesl
04-17-2008, 02:10 PM
I also have an inferno Red pat, (and a black trailer hitch) - I was curious if you have any photos of your Red Pat (or even an orange Pat) with a black muffler.

Thanks!!!:smiley_thumbs_up:

JoeBecker
04-17-2008, 02:35 PM
I also have an inferno Red pat, (and a black trailer hitch) - I was curious if you have any photos of your Red Pat (or even an orange Pat) with a black muffler.

Thanks!!!:smiley_thumbs_up:

This is a photochop of Wade's SBO to give you an idea of what the black looks like with the "lighter" dark colors.
http://www.jeeppatriot.com/gallery/data/500/Patriot_rear_view_2.JPG

Wade
04-17-2008, 06:31 PM
I was curious if you have any photos of your Red Pat (or even an orange Pat) with a black muffler.Thanks!!!

psaulesl, here's side by side rear view of my Patriot next to my wife's Compass. My Patriot has the blacked out muffler (I painted it several months back) and the wife's is unpainted (something that I intend to correct soon).

http://i96.photobucket.com/albums/l186/wadefallin/100_5235Medium.jpg

link2334
04-18-2008, 09:03 PM
Newbie here, just got a Pat a few weeks ago and did the black muffler mod. Just thought I would show it off. Yeah I know its dirty, it rain alot in Oregon.

Mrmossman
04-27-2008, 12:29 AM
Thanks everyone. I agree with you Randoo, about detracting or whatever.

I used the stuff you paint grills with. It works on my Harley exhaust, so if it works on that, it will definitely work on this. You can pick it up just about anywhere, but I got it at Advance Auto Parts.

They call it Rustoleum BBQ Black. Been using it on my Harleys for many years. The original was 1000 degree and was a satin black. Now all I find is a 1500 degree BBQ black and it's a flatter black now. Looks great, thanks for the Idea. I'm thinking about doing the grill in satin black too (Artic Silver 08 Patriot. Picked it up today).

Wheezy
05-21-2008, 01:01 PM
I finally picked up some paint for this while I was at PartSource on the weekend (I actually went there to buy/order the K&N Air Filter for the Patriot and remembered to buy some paint as well), and here's the results:
http://img168.imageshack.us/img168/3358/dsc03302yt7.th.jpg (http://img168.imageshack.us/my.php?image=dsc03302yt7.jpg)

Looks a hell of a lot better than before, I'm pleased that it's no longer an eyesore. Plus I now chuckle a bit whenever I see unpainted Calibers, Compass', Patriots, Avengers, and Sebrings. ;)

Schoat333
05-21-2008, 01:57 PM
I really need to do this..... I just hate painting. Im not patient enough. Plus my muffler is all muddy from a little fun over the weekend.

What did you guys use to clean it first?

Old Gent
05-21-2008, 03:57 PM
I did mine when I had less than 50 miles on it and it was fairly clean, but I did wipe it down with mineral spirits, let it dry a few minutes and sprayed Rustoleum high temp bbq flat black

Bob

cyberpine
05-21-2008, 04:11 PM
Hey are those factory rims? I never saw them in black at the dealership..

If not, who makes them and what are their specs.

Looks nice. I painted my muffler black with high heat paint from pep boys. Really does improve the look. I painted the pipe too and it appears it will hold up.

JoeBecker
05-21-2008, 04:19 PM
I really need to do this..... I just hate painting. Im not patient enough. Plus my muffler is all muddy from a little fun over the weekend.

What did you guys use to clean it first?

Went to hand spray carwash. Painted over any dirt/grim that did not come off with that. I figure if it flakes off, I still have half a can left to touchup. Besides, it is flat black, imperfections aren't really visible unless you have your face up under there.

Took maybe 10 minutes, I had several large pieces of cardboard that I used to prevent unwanted overspray on the Jeep as well as the ground (did it in my driveway, the pictures show where I painted at). I took advantage of the slope of my driveway instead of using ramps to get some more room to get under it.

Wheezy
05-21-2008, 11:29 PM
Hey are those factory rims? I never saw them in black at the dealership..

If not, who makes them and what are their specs.

Looks nice. I painted my muffler black with high heat paint from pep boys. Really does improve the look. I painted the pipe too and it appears it will hold up.
Which rims?

JRX
05-27-2008, 12:58 PM
I thought I would check back in on this topic now that I have a year on my "black muffler mod" All in all (after 12 mos/ 8K miles) the paint job held up well. I had used no-name stove paint over krylon primer. In a few areas on the very bottom the paint/primer wore off revealing some bare metal, and minor rust appeared at the weld joint where the tailpipe meets the muffler, and along the top perimeter where the 2 halves of the muffler were joined.

I cleaned the muffler, then sprayed again with Krylon grill paint. Took me only about 20 minutes to do the touch up including cleaning/masking/painting. The Krylon is a little glossier than I would prefer, but looks great.

DrugRunR
05-27-2008, 03:44 PM
Which rims?

I think he means these
http://www.jeeppatriot.com/forum/attachment.php?attachmentid=1842&d=1208563349

psaulesl
05-28-2008, 10:41 AM
Here are a couple snapshots to show how great a dirty Inferno Red Patriot looks when the muffler's blacked out. I used flat black Engine paint.

Look how the muffler disappears....
http://www.jeeppatriot.com/forum/attachment.php?attachmentid=2025&d=1211982003

and some low views.... Painted the muffler too. The muffler had begin to rust at the seams, so paint was a good idea, regardless.
http://www.jeeppatriot.com/forum/attachment.php?attachmentid=2026&d=1211982008

http://www.jeeppatriot.com/forum/attachment.php?attachmentid=2027&d=1211982014

Now that I look at the photos, I need to peel off the dealer's advertising...

Weatherman
06-02-2008, 10:04 AM
Just a quick question on this. I know most people have used the 1500 degree paint for grills, but was wondering if the 500 degree engine paint would work just as well. Just curious because i had it in my hand at Autozone the other day and then for whatever reason i decided not to buy it until i consulted the experts (you guys of course). I really want this done. I saw a Pat at the movie theater the other day and I got all excited. My girlfriend couldnt figure it out. It had a blacked out muffler:) I guess its a Jeep thing and she doesnt understand:)

todde702
06-02-2008, 10:15 AM
Given how far back in the system and the fact it's radiating off that heat, I'd imagine 500 deg. paint would hold up. Though you can get exhaust manifold paint @1500 deg as well at most auto parts stores.

Weatherman
06-02-2008, 10:17 AM
I saw that there as well, they were sold out of black though and i didnt think the neon green would look too good on my Surf Blue:)

steve_tx
06-04-2008, 09:57 AM
I saw that there as well, they were sold out of black though and i didnt think the neon green would look too good on my Surf Blue:)

Holy burnin'-my-eyes, Batman. I would never want to drive behind you, ever, if you did that.

I did the mod this past weekend. I have a 2-week old Steel Blue, so the silver/metallic looking exhaust system did not sit well for me. I went to the local super, duper, massive, crowded MegaloMart and got a $3.99 can of 1200 degree bbq/oven spray paint in matte black. It took me about 20-25 minutes total, including masking the undercarriage, bumper, and rims; shaking the spray can; and cleaning up. I'm very happy with the way my backside looks now.

I also gave my silver antenna a good shot of matte black. That also is an improvement in the looks department.

psaulesl
06-04-2008, 12:53 PM
Why bother masking the undercarriage? Mine was showing signs of rust starting so I hit anything within reach that had rust with the same black paint...

FermentalCase
06-04-2008, 01:57 PM
Painted mine last weekend, will poast pics as soon as I can.
(White Patriot + black out muffler = :smiley_thumbs_up:

homac
06-04-2008, 02:06 PM
I really have to make some time and do this upgrade. It looks really good for those who have completed it already.

Trybefan24ksu
06-04-2008, 02:08 PM
Would spray-on truck bed liner work for this application? My thought is that it would be more durable than the bbq spray paint. It is now available in a spray can form.

FermentalCase
06-04-2008, 09:56 PM
Here are the pics I said I wold post.
White Patriot w/blackout muffler..Me like..
Thanks to who ever did this first...

Weatherman
06-04-2008, 10:34 PM
Am I the only person that doesnt black out their license plate? People see it on my car everyday, what gives?

FermentalCase
06-05-2008, 05:15 PM
Not sure Weatherman, I just saw alot of others doing it so I did..No real reason..:rockon:

bluepatriotman
06-05-2008, 06:28 PM
The big stupid looking muffler has bothered me since I bought it a year ago. Love everything else about the car. Came on here today to see if there was a solution. Glad to see it. I'm buying some paint on the way home this evening.

Hitzy
06-05-2008, 08:10 PM
I'm kind of torn on this mod for my silver 'riot......the silver on silver doesn't bug me too much. I'm going to wait until I get the hitch on there and see what it looks like then.

Jeepguy819
06-05-2008, 09:18 PM
Blacking out the Muffler this weekend, how many coats have you guys done ?

OnRoad
06-05-2008, 10:06 PM
3 light coats. (Mostly to cover the spots missed by the prior passes...)
It does not take much.

Jeepguy819
06-05-2008, 10:31 PM
Thanx, i'll post pics when its complete, will be FUN with 90 degree weather !

FermentalCase
06-06-2008, 09:21 AM
Hitzy. I was also torn as mine is white...
See page 6 of the posts and check out the pictures, the black muffler makes it look like there is no muffler.
Bottom line is if you dont like the silver (and rust spotted) muffler, try the black paint, if you dont like it afterword you could try and repaint with silver.

ricku
06-06-2008, 09:59 AM
Wonder if the folks at Jeep read these forums and perhaps fix this at the factory ??
I does look unsightly back there.

bluepatriotman
06-06-2008, 03:31 PM
I was wondering the same thing. Looks like they would've noticed it when they designed it. I can see why people with a lighter color question whether they should paint it or not.
I painted mine yesterday. I used engine paint from Autozone. It looks so much better. It's no longer an eye sore and even looks nice. I did paint the tail pipe too. Not sure yet if that was going too far with it.

DrugRunR
06-06-2008, 04:46 PM
I am sure I posted on this thread.. but to repeat myself, the muffler painted looks more like the bottom of the trunk then a muffler.
Unpainted looks crappy to say the least.

Weatherman
06-07-2008, 04:44 PM
Well, i bought the Krylon Hi-temp paint to do my muffler. I had planned on doing it today, but 103 degrees outside told me to wait:) Get it done soon and get some pics up.

Mortaric
06-08-2008, 01:35 PM
I've had undercoating done and there's some cooked onto the muffler. Will I be able to paint over it, or do I need to prep the surface with something?

Weatherman
06-08-2008, 02:24 PM
I finally did it! I was so nervous about painting on my new car that when I finally decided to do it, it was hotter than hell outside. Well, yesterday evening it cooled down a little and i finally did it. All i used was a piece if cardboard to hold between the muffler and the car (mostly the tail pipe) and it took all of about 5 minutes and it makes my Jeep look alot better. Probably my most satisfying mod to date:)

Weatherman
06-08-2008, 04:49 PM
Heres some pics of the muffler on my Pat.

http://i289.photobucket.com/albums/ll233/twistedrooster/Photo-0068.jpg

http://i289.photobucket.com/albums/ll233/twistedrooster/Photo-0067.jpg

Talk about shiny, all that crap on the bumper is actually the reflection from all the crap on the ground:)

Mortaric
06-13-2008, 10:07 PM
I've joined the flock of black sheep (er mufflers). :)
I used GooGone to remove any undercoating grease etc and wiped it down with warm soapy water and then applied 3 light coats of BBQ paint.

http://farm4.static.flickr.com/3083/2576028779_0f718b95d6_o.jpg

craig03
06-13-2008, 10:30 PM
WOW i need to do this!!! All you did was use spray paint? Any kind It must have been some sort of heat resistant paint

Weatherman
06-14-2008, 12:05 AM
Just use the high temp bbq or engine block paint. I used Krylon 1200 degree and it cost about $4.50 at walmart.

butch81385
06-14-2008, 04:55 PM
Bought some BBQ paint today (was on sale for under $4). I still don't know if I want it on my Steel Blue, but I think I am going to try anyway.... I will post pictures when I am done.

soltydog
06-14-2008, 05:55 PM
Bought some BBQ paint today (was on sale for under $4). I still don't know if I want it on my Steel Blue, but I think I am going to try anyway.... I will post pictures when I am done.

I bought a can for my steel blue today. However, the torrential downpours arrived in NE PA at the time i was gonna put the 'Riot up on bottle-jacks...

highly interested in the pics!

butch81385
06-14-2008, 06:10 PM
Soltydog, definitely go for the black muffler. I was extremely torn on whether or not I wanted to do it, but I said screw it and tried. I am so glad i did:

http://s3.supload.com/thumbs/default/P1010842_(Medium).JPG (http://s3.supload.com/free/P1010842_(Medium).JPG/view/)
http://s3.supload.com/thumbs/default/P1010843_(Medium).JPG (http://s3.supload.com/free/P1010843_(Medium).JPG/view/)
http://s3.supload.com/thumbs/default/P1010844_(Medium).JPG (http://s3.supload.com/free/P1010844_(Medium).JPG/view/)
http://s3.supload.com/thumbs/default/P1010845_(Medium).JPG (http://s3.supload.com/free/P1010845_(Medium).JPG/view/)
Image host (http://www.supload.com)

I got lucky that the rain hasn't hit us yet in the Allentown area.

EDIT: Sorry about the dirty jeep... wait, no I'm not. It's a jeep. It should be dirty... Well, either way I went exploring in a new housing plan that is under construction. Just some dirt, gravel, and large ditches, but was fun to flip it into 4x4 and kick up some dirt and dust.

soltydog
06-14-2008, 09:20 PM
Thanks for the pix! I'm definitely going with the black exhaust cover. I think it's ideal on most of the 'riots.

Thanks Butch!

LoneShark
06-14-2008, 09:56 PM
Well I went ahead and bought the 1200 degree resistant flat black paint and got myself some cardboard and did the muffler mod this afternoon. Really quick and easy and I really like how it turned out.

I painted the pipe as well cause after 15 months of use, the Pat's tail pip was showing a bit of wear at the tip. Tried to scrub it clean but it seemed backed into the metal at this point.

Before the silver always caught my eye from behind, I'm really happy with the difference and it was like 15 minutes and 7 bucks. To me it really doesn't look like I have a fairly new car with spray paint on it. Looks clean in person.

http://www.sharkden.com/black1.JPG
http://www.sharkden.com/black2..JPG

csutton
06-15-2008, 07:34 PM
Painted the muffler, but not the exhaust extension. I like the look of it.

jepstr67
06-15-2008, 07:58 PM
Yes. Muffler has to be painted. I finally got around to doing it yesterday. I didn't paint the exhaust pipe either. It sure makes a huge difference in the look. Better.

jepstr67
06-21-2008, 10:34 PM
I was just noticing my car in the parking lot for the first time since I painted the muffler. My Patriot no longer looks like it is going to lay a giant aluminum egg.

homac
06-22-2008, 01:13 AM
I really have to get around to this mod. Looks good.

Mortaric
06-22-2008, 01:30 AM
I was just noticing my car in the parking lot for the first time since I painted the muffler. My Patriot no longer looks like it is going to lay a giant aluminum egg.

jepster67 LOL! :p

When I painted mine I left my exhaust tip unpainted, but now after seeing some more posts I think I prefer it painted.

JoeBecker
06-22-2008, 01:39 AM

Also in today's crazy world it no longer screams "I am easily accessible metal, please cut me off and sell as scrap!"

When I painted mine I left my exhaust tip unpainted, but now after seeing some more posts I think I prefer it painted.

I am one of those, I want no attention drawn to my Patriot's anal tract. Would it be cool for people to have chrome tips shoved up our rear ends?

CanadianSkin
06-30-2008, 01:36 AM
I think this is the best and easiest mod you can do that has the most impact.

butch81385
06-30-2008, 07:01 PM
Oh no! Someone stole my fun!

Usually, when I see another Patriot on the road I look at its muffler and chuckle at the bright silver thing thinking "If only they knew."

Well, today I was driving home from work and saw a khaki Patriot going the other direction. Since I was stopped at a red light I took the opportunity to look back expecting my normal happiness. Instead I was blown away by a body colored (khaki) muffler! Needless to say I was quite impressed, while also not as proud of my black muffler (though its still 10000 times better than stock).

JeepLuvin
06-30-2008, 10:16 PM
Didn't know you could paint the muffler the same color as the vehicle...I don't mind my silver muffler. I love her just the same.

butch81385
06-30-2008, 10:25 PM
Neither did I, but apparently they did!

CanadianSkin
07-01-2008, 01:30 AM
Interesting that these "official" pictures of the Patriot from the Jeep.com site appear to show a blacked out muffler.

http://www.jeep.com/shared/2008/patriot/gallery/main/ext_main_17.jpg

http://www.jeep.com/shared/2008/patriot/gallery/main/ext_main_04.jpg

Hogdad
07-02-2008, 04:42 PM
You guys have got me thinking about doing the black muffler mod just as I get comfortable. Will you please stop that?

WhatARiot
07-02-2008, 04:55 PM
Interesting that these "official" pictures of the Patriot from the Jeep.com site appear to show a blacked out muffler.

We should call Jeep about that...

arcboy2006
07-03-2008, 04:40 PM
i would probably use a flat black color mostly an engine paint which xcan take the heat pretty good.

Weatherman
07-03-2008, 08:40 PM

http://www.jeep.com/shared/2008/patriot/gallery/main/ext_main_04.jpg

Hey:) Mine used to look like that:)

jepstr67
07-03-2008, 09:00 PM
My wife's 07 Compass has a black muffler from the factory.

craig03
07-03-2008, 09:48 PM
OK here we go, IM GONNA DO IT. But first let me say I can spray paint to save my life (****ed up some hub caps when I was in high school) What shields are you using to make sure you dont get it on the outer part of the car. Is everyone doing this in regular parking lots, or on lifts/ramps?????

OnRoad
07-03-2008, 09:59 PM
News paper and masking tape are your friend. It does not take a lot of paint to do this and you do not have to lift the vehicle. Just mask off all of the painted plastic and if you are worried about the wheels getting sprayed, stuff them with paper from the inside. Several lite quick sprays of flat black BBQ paint and it is done...

butch81385
07-04-2008, 05:30 PM
I just held a piece of cardboard with my free hand.

Weatherman
07-05-2008, 12:39 AM
Yep, cardboard in the hand, no problems

flattop
07-05-2008, 10:43 AM
Did you remove the muffler to paint it or did you mask the undercarriage? If masked, what did you use & how did you apply it to keep off overspray? Thanks

butch81385
07-05-2008, 12:10 PM
I laid on my back, with a can of BBQ spray paint in one hand, a piece of cardboard in the other. I held the cardboard on the backside of the muffler covering the undercarriage and the bumper of whatever part I was working on, then sprayed away with light coats moving the cardboard when going to a different area. I did one coat, let it dry, another coat, went inside and turned on the engine, let it dry, and sprayed a 3rd coat while the engine was running and the muffler was hot. Was ready for my hour drive within 15 minutes, and looks great.

OnRoad
07-05-2008, 10:54 PM
Did you remove the muffler to paint it or did you mask the undercarriage? If masked, what did you use & how did you apply it to keep off overspray? Thanks

Painted it on the car following the instructions on the can. It was breezy which is why I used newspaper and taped over anything I did not want paint on. I did not paint the top of it.

ephemera
07-06-2008, 12:36 AM
I will be doing this on Sunday. Do you think that it would help prevent rust too? I noticed on mine there are some metal bars welded onto the muffler that look a little rusty!

slinky84
07-06-2008, 02:18 AM
only if you sand down the rust otherwise it will continue to rust under the paint. I just went with the flow master super 40 it looks cleaner than that huge thing jeep calls a muffler. you can only see it at below bumper level.

Deech
07-06-2008, 08:17 PM
Just painted the muffler on my silver pat black today and it looks a lot better!

phil8400
07-12-2008, 10:00 PM
did u guys try to paint the top half of the muffler too? I didn't and you can really only notice the silver top half when looking from the passenger side wheel well. The driver's side view is mostly blocked by the down hanging heat shield.

Just curious.

DrugRunR
07-12-2008, 10:04 PM
I think the primary purpose of the mod was for looks.
I doubt many people will look in via the wheel well.

Secondary was the added rust prevention the mod gives you from rust.

ephemera
07-12-2008, 11:17 PM
I did the mod last weekend. My 'first' can basically burst on my and painting my hand black!. The next can I bought for $2 on sale went perfect. I tried taping off the fender etc but it was a waste of time. I just held some cardboard and spray painted the underside of the muffler. I only painted what was visible too. I also sprayed the tail pipe. Afterwords it was perfect! Its flat black that its almost invisible unless you get really close. Definitely the best/cheapest mod to do.

mrsmith02
08-03-2008, 11:51 AM
Any problems with the paint chipping or coming off? Did you paint the exhaust pipe too?

snokat
08-03-2008, 12:27 PM
Did it this morning. Two quick coats, used almost no paint to cover it up. The can of "heat" paint was $4. Wish I had thought of this 17 months ago, it looks sooo kewl now. What was Chrysler thinking?
I think I'll restore the old Weber gas grill later today during the Marlins game.

Az-Patriot 55
08-03-2008, 01:43 PM
Has anyone does this on a khaki pat yet?

butch81385
08-03-2008, 02:10 PM
I saw a Khaki with the black muffler and it looked good.

As a side note, I think I am going to carry a can or two of the bbq paint in my jeep along with pieces of paper saying "Compliments of JeepPatriot.com, search for "Black Muffler Mod, use and pass it forward." and leave them at other patriots I see in parking lots...

snokat
08-03-2008, 06:40 PM
Butch, that would make you a public servant.
" No More Ugly Exhausts! "
Does remind me of my old '89 Cherokee gas tank.

JoeBecker
08-03-2008, 07:04 PM
As a side note, I think I am going to carry a can or two of the bbq paint in my jeep along with pieces of paper saying "Compliments of JeepPatriot.com, search for "Black Muffler Mod, use and pass it forward." and leave them at other patriots I see in parking lots...

Maybe just paint it for them? I wonder if most would even notice.

I see quite a few calibers around here, doesn't look like any of them have done the painting yet.

Gaze
08-04-2008, 07:30 PM
Went for it today... with a slight twist:

http://images37.fotki.com/v1199/photos/6/694959/5187709/DSC02383-vi.jpg

http://images40.fotki.com/v1241/photos/6/694959/5187709/DSC02379-vi.jpg

http://images39.fotki.com/v1286/photos/6/694959/5187709/DSC02380-vi.jpg

http://images39.fotki.com/v1284/photos/6/694959/5187709/DSC02381-vi.jpg

http://images38.fotki.com/v1278/photos/6/694959/5187709/DSC02382-vi.jpg

I went with a graphite type color to be a little different. My main purpose was to prevent any further rusting so I hit the whole muffler, hangers, and some nuts and bolts that appeared to be showing signs of rust.

mrsmith02
08-04-2008, 10:26 PM
I did my Green Monster's muffler today and it looks so much better...thanks for all the advice in this thread!

JoeBecker
08-04-2008, 10:50 PM
Gaze, it looks better than silver.
It looks like it is teflon coated since it is shiny.
You could cook a turkey in that pan! :D

Definitely better being just a muffler instead of a MUFFLER!

papatriot
08-05-2008, 12:40 AM
Has anyone does this on a khaki pat yet?

heck ya, my post with picsis in here somewhere, maybe with the hitch info
i will note tho, i used ace brand hi temp gloss
eeeeeeehhhnt,,
wrong, its comin loose in spots
gonna see how far it goes and maybe sand in those spots and repaint ata

firemothjoe
08-08-2008, 01:28 PM
Just finished painting my muffler black too! Used grill paint. Even had a glossy finish! A perfect job, if I do say so myself!

:banana:

butch81385
08-08-2008, 01:35 PM
I would suggest painting the tail pipe too (personal preference) but other than that it looks good!

firemothjoe
08-08-2008, 01:58 PM
I was worried that it would have a fake look if I painted the tailpipe too. we'll see though. Still might one day. Got pleanty of paint left over!

jeelo
08-08-2008, 04:43 PM
grrrr...... I used the bbq grill high temp paint and guess what! 3.5 months later its starting to burn/chip off! I even scuffed the muffler so it would have good adhesion. Looks like I'm going to have to repaint. I think I'm going to switch it up to a higher temp paint like an engine enamel.

firemothjoe
08-09-2008, 02:13 AM
grrrr...... I used the bbq grill high temp paint and guess what! 3.5 months later its starting to burn/chip off! I even scuffed the muffler so it would have good adhesion. Looks like I'm going to have to repaint. I think I'm going to switch it up to a higher temp paint like an engine enamel.

Now this is most disturbing! Has anyone else had this problem?

Jeloo, I have many questions for you! What brand of bbq paint did you use? How old was your jeep b4 you painted the muffler? So you sandpapered it then? Did you clean it really well before you painted?

I used Krylon BBQ 1200 deg F, my pat was purchased in nov07. I did not sandpaper it, but I did clean it really well with windex.

JoeBecker
08-09-2008, 11:11 AM

you did too much work.
just spray it again, it only takes a few minutes.

jeelo
08-09-2008, 11:41 AM
yes I know just to spray it again... but damn, I don't want to do keep spraying it every 3-4 months.

nerrad
08-24-2008, 01:54 AM
What type of paint did you use?

rdunlap
08-24-2008, 03:41 PM
I got the same problem. my girlfriend pointed out that my muffler looked like **** yesterday. Not only is it chipping and cracking in spots but Ive got a brown/reddish color right on the middle of it. Not sure of the brand but I used high temp. 1200 degree grill paint (high gloss) from Ace Hardware.

UPKEV
08-24-2008, 05:08 PM
I used the 1200 degree stuff too. I saw a 600 degree, and I also saw one a bit higher than 1200 degrees. If I run into this problem I will have to use the better stuff. Mine has only been painted for a couple weeks so still looks good.

Evil Sylvain
08-24-2008, 06:00 PM
Out of curiosity, do european Patriot have the black muffler out of the assembly line? I was in Finland last week and in the last two days of my stay there I saw two Pats. The first one I noticed had the black muffler but not tailpipe. I thought at first it was somebody from this website. Then I saw another one and he also had the black muffler but the tailpipe was not painted either. Both were Limited. While in Quebec I have yet to see another Pat with the same mod. And I see lots of them and a friend of mine is also checking when he sees one and has yet to see it as well.

ilflyya
08-24-2008, 06:28 PM
Does Raven make a muffler for the Patriot? I think they come from in Black from the start. I put a raven exhaust on my 2000 Dak and it sounded sweet! Don't know what it would do for a 4 cyl

akhooters7
08-24-2008, 07:29 PM
I have had my pat.. 3 days now... did the muffler paint and mudflaps... more to folllow

Hitzy
08-24-2008, 08:32 PM
I just did mine today, used Armour Cote high heat black. Looks pretty good....:)

nerrad
08-26-2008, 08:00 PM
I was considering painting the muffler, but then I was concerned about the muffler paint chipping, so I am now considering making a casing around the visible half of the muffler and have that painted black. Just a thought right now.

rdunlap
08-26-2008, 10:25 PM
I sanded the **** out of my muffler today and got my black chipped cracking paint off. I went to Kragen and got a can of 1300-2000 degree header paint called VHT(very high temperature.. go figure) and is a PJ1 product. Its a flat black (not high gloss 1200 degree black that I tried first time.) It looks pretty good and will hopefully hold up with no cracks or chips. I'll keep posted

nerrad
09-01-2008, 02:19 AM
Well I just finished painting my Muffler looks good just hope the paint is not going to flack off. I used VHT Flame Proof Coating paint good to 1500 F, Flat Black. It's suppose to bake the paint on while you drive(obviously heat from the muffler) Did 2 coats.

JoeBecker
09-01-2008, 12:58 PM
I sanded the **** out of my muffler today and got my black chipped cracking paint off. I went to Kragen and got a can of 1300-2000 degree header paint called VHT(very high temperature.. go figure) and is a PJ1 product. Its a flat black (not high gloss 1200 degree black that I tried first time.) It looks pretty good and will hopefully hold up with no cracks or chips. I'll keep posted

It might have been flaking because it was gloss.
I have had no problem with my flat black just sprayed over a rinsed off muffler.
This will be a good test to see if the finish of the paint itself does indeed make a difference.

Hey NERRAD, looks good. Glad to see that another member painted the whole thing black (exhaust tip). No need to draw attention to its a-hole, right?

FamousPatriot
09-08-2008, 01:54 AM
wat rims are those???

drumboz79
10-07-2008, 01:16 AM
wat rims are those???

which rims???

chris669
10-09-2008, 03:50 PM
I did paint mine, muffler and tailpipe, using Krylon BBQ Black, and it is about 2 months later and still looks great. Hs some minimal sheen to it but definitely not gloss. I washed the muffler using a degreaser and dried it thoroughly overnight, did a final prep wipe with Acetone. No sanding. Finish is holding up well so far. A 1200F degree BBQ or Caliper Paint should hold up fine, engine paints may have lower temperature ratings (600F) or so so read the labels on them. Autozone or Advanced had a good selection of high temperature paints. I try to use a national brand instead of a private label (Ace) if you can, since the nationals seem to have the higher quality point in my opinion.

canterbury_adam
10-10-2008, 02:38 PM
That looks really good. I'm planning on doing the same very soon.

Weatherman
10-10-2008, 03:05 PM
Same here on the Krylon, even after the beatings its taken on my dads dirt road, still looks great.

mista_g713
10-20-2008, 06:44 PM
just painted my muffler. i cleaned it with 3m adhesive remover. used VHT very high temperture header paint. its rated for 1200 to 2000 degrees. i was gonna buy the krylon bbq paint but that was only rated for 1000 degree.
http://i228.photobucket.com/albums/ee14/mista_g713/photo.jpg

Weatherman
10-20-2008, 06:51 PM
My thoughts are that if the surface temperature of your muffler ever reaches 1000 degrees farenheit, The bumper is gonna melt off of your car.

mista_g713
10-20-2008, 10:52 PM
My thoughts are that if the surface temperature of your muffler ever reaches 1000 degrees farenheit, The bumper is gonna melt off of your car.

would that be covered under warranty?

petbug
10-25-2008, 01:31 PM
Finally got to use the black VHT (1500F) spray from Canadian Tire! Had it on my desk for 2 month... Now my muffler and tail pipe are black and beautiful. Acetone clean up worked well, no sanding, I think it will stick.

drumboz79
10-26-2008, 03:44 PM
i have a can of Dupli Color High Heat with Ceramic 1200F, will this work well?

petbug
10-27-2008, 05:04 AM
Just about any paint rated 1,000F or more will work, just make sure you prep the surface well, degrease with acetone works well. This is how mine turned out

gdasher
11-02-2008, 07:15 PM
I finally got to painting mine today. The paint was rated at 1,200F. It looks much better, if it peels or chips I will let you know not to use the paint that I did.

jepstr67
11-02-2008, 07:44 PM
Out of curiosity, do european Patriot have the black muffler out of the assembly line? I was in Finland last week and in the last two days of my stay there I saw two Pats. The first one I noticed had the black muffler but not tailpipe. I thought at first it was somebody from this website. Then I saw another one and he also had the black muffler but the tailpipe was not painted either. Both were Limited. While in Quebec I have yet to see another Pat with the same mod. And I see lots of them and a friend of mine is also checking when he sees one and has yet to see it as well.

My wife has a 2007 Compass. It came from the factory with a black muffler. I do not know why. Very few have a factory black muffler. I have not checked the VIN, but I suspect the Compass we have was early on in the production. They must have quit painting mufflers at some point. My February of 08 Patriot came with an unpainted galvanized muffler.

DJ XS
01-30-2009, 09:43 PM
I also did the muffler paint mod.

rdunlap
01-30-2009, 11:31 PM
Ive got a black painted muffler off the pat Im trying to sell:)

UWPsocr13
02-08-2009, 11:12 PM
I had thought about painting it, but it wasn't until I was behind another black Patriot that I decided I really needed to have it done. The Patriot I saw was a Limited, and with the silver bumper I thought it would look much better in black. Way too much gray/silver going on.

Low and behold, that same day my dad had my Patriot in to his dealership to add the remote starter (which took about 7 or 8 weeks to finally recieve), and surprised me with the painted muffler. It looks much better!

sheltersmatt
03-20-2009, 11:18 PM
Are you guys taking the muffler off to do this? if so, how difficult is it to do so?

butch81385
03-20-2009, 11:27 PM
Are you guys taking the muffler off to do this? if so, how difficult is it to do so?

I just used a piece of cardboard to prevent overspray, knelt down on the ground, and sprayed a coat. Then I turned the engine on to warm it up and bake it on, then sprayed a 2nd coat with the muffler hot and running. Might be repainting once the weather gets better, but still looks alot better than the original silver eyesore...

PanamaPatriot
03-21-2009, 01:12 AM
Yes Sir that looks so much better, I also have a Black Patriot and have paid serious thought to doing this as well

USMC_Bravo
03-21-2009, 10:00 AM
I used flat black, but left the tip. Might still do the tip black to though!?!?!?

butch81385
03-21-2009, 12:39 PM
Go all the way! Do the tip.. in 3 months when the tip is looking all dirty you will wish you had just made it match...

Medic311
03-22-2009, 05:06 PM
it cracks me up that on the Jeep.com website it shows a close up shot of the rear of the Patriot...and it shows a black muffler! looks like the marketing team decided that the black muffler is the way to go...too bad the design team did not agree :doh:

BaZooKa Joe
03-26-2009, 12:37 PM
That ugly muffler was the first thing I noticed at the dealer. glad to see I'm not alone . Has anyone tried VHT paint ? its for engine blocks and brake calipers, so it shouldn't burn off that muffler. It comes in nice colors too. I might go with an anadized gold color with a black tip.

koolkatken83
03-26-2009, 09:54 PM
Just did the black muffler mod. It was the first thing I noticed from looking at the rear of my Patriot. I like how it pretty much disappears, also looks nice with my flat black wheels. Will get pics during the daylight tomorrow.

YoKstEr09
03-26-2009, 11:11 PM
im thinkin about doin the black mod muffler. whats the best paint can i use? also, how long should i let it sit after i paint it?
thanks

butch81385
03-26-2009, 11:20 PM
I used BBQ paint (high heat). I think I let it sit (with the car running) for about 15 minutes before it was no longer tacky

I went driving for an hour afterwards :p

BSCB
06-02-2009, 06:07 PM
Before
http://www.jeeppatriot.com/forum/picture.php?albumid=161&pictureid=1012
After
http://www.jeeppatriot.com/forum/picture.php?albumid=161&pictureid=1013
I used a scotch-brite to scuff up the surface and used high temp bbq paint. Looks so much better!

GaryK
07-03-2009, 01:20 AM
I used Rustoleum high temp on the muffler, Scotch-brite to scuff up the stainless steel tip, then mag wheel polish on tip. Should have come this way from the factory. People thought my gas tank was hanging down before painting.gk

Kahbrohn
07-03-2009, 08:42 AM
I used Rustoleum high temp on the muffler, Scotch-brite to scuff up the stainless steel tip, then mag wheel polish on tip. Should have come this way from the factory. People thought my gas tank was hanging down before painting.gk

I have often wondered how many people refrained from buying the Pat thinking it was the gas tank back there...

startech1
07-14-2009, 08:08 AM
Good Job

and to really take the whole look away from the muffler area

http://i432.photobucket.com/albums/qq49/Startech1/2550317875_49481aabe8.jpg

mrrdillard
07-15-2009, 09:11 PM
Good Job

and to really take the whole look away from the muffler area

http://i432.photobucket.com/albums/qq49/Startech1/2550317875_49481aabe8.jpg

Is that a Euro model or something? I would kill for that rear bumper!

ABrady1985
07-15-2009, 09:58 PM
I would love that bumper but it is $434.23.

http://www.startech.de/html/patriot1.html

startech1
07-15-2009, 11:19 PM
Is that a Euro model or something? I would kill for that rear bumper!

It's Startech tuning and accessories for Chrysler, Jeep and Dodge out of Germany. This actual part MK-400-00 Off road design element under rear bumper which is available for the states

startech1
07-15-2009, 11:22 PM
I would love that bumper but it is $434.23.

http://www.startech.de/html/patriot1.html

How about $300.00 shipped

ABrady1985
07-16-2009, 06:35 PM
$300 is still a little much for a plastic bumper cover

madburner
07-17-2009, 10:27 AM
Has anyone did the muffler mod on a silver Patriot? And if so, could you post some pics? I'm just wondering what it would look like.

Thanks

Kahbrohn
07-17-2009, 10:34 AM
Has anyone did the muffler mod on a silver Patriot? And if so, could you post some pics? I'm just wondering what it would look like.

Thanks

See post number 175 in this very same thread. it shows either a silver or a white Patriot. It should look good because the idea behind painting the muffler is so it blends in with the underside of the vehicle therefore "hiding" the silver muffler. On a silver/white vehicle the unpainted muffler looks like a bulge more than anything. Once painted, you "regain" the straight line look of your lower bumper so to speak.

madburner
07-17-2009, 11:37 AM
It should look good because the idea behind painting the muffler is so it blends in with the underside of the vehicle therefore "hiding" the silver muffler. On a silver/white vehicle the unpainted muffler looks like a bulge more than anything. Once painted, you "regain" the straight line look of your lower bumper so to speak.

I agree with you 100%. I think the first mod I will be doing once the Patriot is delivered is this. It makes the rear of the vehicle look totally different.

I still don't understand why the muffler on the Patriots/Caliber/Compass are so big? Couldn't they have put a smaller just-as-efficient muffler? The old Neons had a slightly smaller muffler, but it was tucked underneath the rear overhang much better than this design. The old NSRT was a mufflerless design with the same 2.4L. Dawell, I guess it allows more cargo space with this design.

mrmidnite2
07-17-2009, 05:28 PM
Anyone tried hanging a magnaflow muffler on the back of their Pat??

http://www.canadiantire.ca/AST/browse/4/Auto/AutoCustomPerformance/Exhaust/PRD~0344044P/Magnaflow%2BMuffler%252C%2B14325.jsp

or this one..

http://www.canadiantire.ca/AST/browse/4/Auto/AutoCustomPerformance/Exhaust/PRD~0128748P/Magnaflow%2BOval%2BMuffler%252C%2B4%2Bx%2B9-in..jsp

Kahbrohn
07-17-2009, 06:09 PM
I agree with you 100%. I think the first mod I will be doing once the Patriot is delivered is this. It makes the rear of the vehicle look totally different.

I still don't understand why the muffler on the Patriots/Caliber/Compass are so big? Couldn't they have put a smaller just-as-efficient muffler? The old Neons had a slightly smaller muffler, but it was tucked underneath the rear overhang much better than this design. The old NSRT was a mufflerless design with the same 2.4L. Dawell, I guess it allows more cargo space with this design.

Really can't say. Only thing I can think of is height consideration... Also, and this is me speculating, noise reduction all though I am not sure if bigger mufflers necessarily mean quieter mufflers. Since I did this mod I have looked at other vehicles and some are already blackened out it seems. Other's (like the Suzuki SX4's I believe it was) are visible. So, it's not just "A Jeep Thing"...

Just do a little bit of scruffing up of the outside of the muffler with a steel wool pad and paint away with normal BBQ paint. Tape/protect off all areas you don't want painted. Dont paint the heat reflector on top of the muffler.

WillMill
07-17-2009, 11:45 PM
Just did the black muffler mod aswell.... Mine is a little shiny compared to some of the other pics on here, but I'm extremely pleased. It really does make the rear look a lot different. Thanks for the tips everyone!

Kahbrohn
07-18-2009, 09:01 PM
Just did the black muffler mod aswell.... Mine is a little shiny compared to some of the other pics on here, but I'm extremely pleased. It really does make the rear look a lot different. Thanks for the tips everyone!

Post a pix if you will. I have been curious to see a "shiney" muffler...

todde702
07-19-2009, 03:49 PM
I finally bit the bullet on this one. Used Semi-Gloss Black engine enamel (500 deg.). I felt the rest of the chassis under there was a semi-gloss so I'd paint to match. All I did was scrub it with some soap and water, then wiped it down with some lacquer thinner. The pictures look glossy, but the paint is still wet and drying. Should tone down some once it dries.

madburner
07-20-2009, 01:03 PM
Just do a little bit of scruffing up of the outside of the muffler with a steel wool pad and paint away with normal BBQ paint. Tape/protect off all areas you don't want painted. Dont paint the heat reflector on top of the muffler.

Thanks for the advice. It's great to have people on here offering tips and advice. As soon as I get my hands on the Patriot it'll have a flat black muffler and join the dark side!

mrrdillard
07-20-2009, 03:05 PM
Bought all my supplies on Saturday, just need another weekend to roll around I too will join the darkside! :blah:

Kahbrohn
07-20-2009, 03:13 PM
GREAT! In the dark side we have cookies and milk! You chose wisely Luke...

GaryK
07-23-2009, 08:14 PM
Re;Startech1. The rear valence and wheel package look great. I tried to figure a way to get my tailpipe looking that way but the bend is too tight and a chrome tip ends up down too low, not very aesthetic.

mrsmith02
09-09-2009, 11:04 PM
Has anyone experienced chipping/fading of the paint after having it on for a while? I noticed a spot a few weeks ago, painted over it and it seems to be reappearing. Suggestions?

davecanuck
09-09-2009, 11:48 PM
1. What type of paint of paint did you use
2. How did you prep (some did soap and water, others scuffed it up with steel wool)

I used the high temp bbq paint, no issues so far.

todde702
09-10-2009, 09:41 AM
Mine still looks great and the gloss has faded down some so that it matches the rest of the under carriage stuff.

shmup-o
09-10-2009, 10:29 AM
I just sprayed mine on with no prep. I figured if I had to touch it up later it was ok, I'm not going to be using that paint for anything else!

chadandy12
09-10-2009, 11:50 AM
painted mine about two days after I Baught it looks much better painted

ephemera
09-12-2009, 01:01 AM
Has anyone experienced chipping/fading of the paint after having it on for a while? I noticed a spot a few weeks ago, painted over it and it seems to be reappearing. Suggestions?

My black paint is pealing also. I didn't do any prep at all. I guess I will try steel wool first this time.

JoeBecker
09-12-2009, 02:06 AM
I don't know if mine is peeling... the muffler is dirty. It is a combination of black and brown but at least it is not silver. :)

jaymzmn
09-12-2009, 02:09 PM
First I washed the muffler with water and soap, then used citrus degreaser (a MUST IMO) to get all the crap off, then used matt black grill spray and liberally applied that on. By the way, also covered the entire back underside of the car with newspaper and masking tape to avoid the overspray.
I did not paint the exhaust tip.

JeepInferno
09-14-2009, 09:28 AM
Cant believe I waited a month to do this. Looks so much better. I just wiped it down with some solvent I had laying around and used a piece of cardboard and taped off a small area on the bumper around the tail pipe (I painted the tail pipe). It took me about 20 minutes. My wife couldnt believe the difference it made in that short of time. I used flat black VHT paint. When I get a chance Ill post a pic. The difference is amazing I took pics with full sun shining on the back. The before pic shows the muffler reflecting in the sun your eyes go right to it ,very distracting with all the other trim and under carriage being black. In the after pic you almost have to look twice its as though I removed it. It blends in to the under carriage very nicely. Its a very good 20 minute,$8.50 mod.

fatnfurious
09-16-2009, 03:35 PM
I just did mine last night, I used an Eastwood Satin Black Header paint, a little expensive but I think worth it. I wanted a glossier look than what the other high temp paints could provide. I will post a pic later.

fatnfurious
09-16-2009, 05:31 PM
This was my first official mod, the pics are a little washed out from the sun. If anyone wants to see better ones PM me and I'll take some more.

heckler
09-16-2009, 07:57 PM
Yes please! I'd love to see a picture of the whole rear of the Jeep, showing the black muffler and silver Jeep

Mattck
09-18-2009, 06:59 AM
i was just wondering, im a new Jeep Owner and i was wondering, did you paint you rims like that? or do you buy them? if you painted them how did you do it? That looks awesome!

rubiconpatriot
09-18-2009, 10:05 AM
I too did the black muffler mod yesterday.As u can see from the license plate holder the patriot is made down the road at the Belvidere chrysler plant.

fatnfurious
09-20-2009, 09:30 PM
Pic of the back as requested, it's hard to see the muffler, but I guess that is the point.

Steveo55
09-21-2009, 04:17 PM
My Sport came with the muffler, as you over the pond call it, painted black already. We call them silencers. My Pat's black anyway.

FermentalCase
09-22-2009, 10:04 AM
Steveo55, is that right yours was painted black befroe you brought it home?
Sounds like someone at Chrysler liked our mods.. :D

dixiedawg
09-22-2009, 11:26 AM
When you say "grill paint" you mean for cooking grills right, not like the grill on the front of your Pat?

I would also like to do this.

FermentalCase
09-22-2009, 03:25 PM
Yes Dixie, Cooking Grill..I bought mine at Lowes in the grilling section. But any Hi temp paint would work well.

BTW this tread has lots of tips on the subject.

WillMill
09-28-2009, 11:09 PM
Kahbrohn, sorry it took so long, but I've finally added the pics to my gallery on here. I'm not sure exactly how to include them in this post from my gallery, but they are there.... I took them with my iPhone right after I did it, just never uploaded them and they are not the best quality, but at least there are now some pics.

dixiedawg
11-25-2009, 09:28 AM
Looks like a bot posting?

I did paint my muffler/silencer black, and I used grill paint too since a friend of mine had some left over from painting his grill. Cost $0, but much improved look.

I just ordered the stick-on letters for the rear bumper too. I got the black ones. Should look good on my red Pat.

todde702
11-25-2009, 09:36 AM
Dang bots...this one posted in all sorts of threads.

My semi-gloss black 500 deg. engine enamel is still holding up. In fact the gloss has dulled down now to match the rest of the under carriage perfectly!

poppi
11-25-2009, 11:36 AM
I'll give you another reason for blacking-out the muffler besides aesthetics.
I live in North Carolina and had to drive 4 hours to Virginia to get the Pat I wanted. Picked it up at night. My son-in-law went with me to drive my truck back. He followed me back and said his headlight reflection off the Pat muffler was very distracting. So it's a safety improvement also.

crook144
11-29-2009, 05:46 PM
i was driving behind a patriot the other night and hated how that thing looks

so happy to finally hide that can under my bumper!

jackster
12-09-2009, 03:23 PM
Wow, my thread became a sticky. LOL I am honored. :D

dixiedawg
12-09-2009, 03:47 PM
I painted my muffler too. Never thought about till I saw this thread, and then every time I looked at mone from the back I would see the muffler. You know how that is, once you notice it it bothers you from then on, lol. So I did paint it with some left over black matte grill paint I had. So cost $0, and much improved look. I will post a photo one day, but waiting till I add the stick on letters to the name on the back bumper.

I also need to post photos of my custom seat covers one day.

Earthworm51
12-24-2009, 07:11 PM
Great idea! Better yet just junk the muffler and put a new setup on there, I know it costs money, but if all possible change the muffler and get rid of all that useless crap. Just my opinion. Read my thread about the Flowmaster Hushpower Muffler, very clean, no more junk visible from the rear. I know not everyone can afford to just change mufflers, I guess I am fortunate,no kids, no wife. Not knocking it,cause I might be missing out,but single and happy.

Caddis
01-16-2010, 08:50 PM
I finally got around to painting the muffler with some Krylon Bar B Que paint. It's a great improvement. I added some body side molding and a shiny new Jeep license plate frame. Fun :D

bonnzac
01-16-2010, 10:33 PM
i am now part of the black muffler gang. while having chromoly plated lower control arms installed in the front, i also had the shop coat the muffler with ceramic black.

Kellylynn
02-17-2010, 05:48 PM
I really like this look ! i've been thinkin about doing something like this on mine. nice work :)

Roadstar-Patriot
02-17-2010, 11:17 PM
I did the high temp black and only got about 5K miles out of it until the spot where the exhaust pours into the muffler... (that turned chalky white...)
Sprayed it two more times and finally with gloss black (high temp...)
Cured!
It's been ten-K miles since and it's finally coated...
I should say, though, I do a lot of highway driving and I get the muffler pretty hot...

Afmcronnie
02-18-2010, 11:35 PM
I did mine with some Hi-Temp flat black from Ace Hardware. Cleaned tne muffler up good and rubbed it down with alcohol. It's been 4000 miles through winter salt/grit and it still looks good. Washed the Pat yesterday at the powerwash and blew the the muffler off good. Nothing flaked off, so I guess I did a good job. I did the pipes on my Triumph Bonneville like this about 10 years ago, they STILL look good.

robi454
02-19-2010, 12:09 AM
I never even noticed mine until someone on this site posted a thread about painting theirs and how it was so noticable when it was grey. Now my muffler annoys me so much. Any time when I'm behind my Jeep I see it and think "Gawd that looks so awful"

HooverBucs
02-19-2010, 01:57 AM
whats the paint called? where can i buy it other than ebay?