Anyone replace their brakes yet? [Archive] - Jeep Patriot Forums

: Anyone replace their brakes yet?

jeepmuck
09-24-2009, 10:09 PM
My Patriot needs new front brakes, how much did it cost you and where did you get it done?

jettore
09-24-2009, 11:12 PM
Not yet, but if you don't mind how many miles and what type of driving do you do?

rocal
09-25-2009, 08:12 AM
Just had the fronts done Tuesday before last. 32,500 miles. The cost of the pads (from a dealership) was 52 / US $70; outrageous, eh? But, this is Rip-off Britain I'm living in and I know that, if I'd just bought the pads and done the job myself it wouldn't have been anything like that. You just know that, when you have a scheduled service done on a vehicle, you're going to be bled dry. As in the song, "'Tis the same the whole world over.."

Rocal

jettore
09-25-2009, 08:54 AM
Rocal
Did they cut or replace the rotors when they did the brakes?

Terasec
09-25-2009, 10:06 AM
My Patriot needs new front brakes, how much did it cost you and where did you get it done?

at a local shop,
Would do it myself but living in NYC, pretty difficult to work on the car when i need to,
Cost was $150,
which i think is outrageous
Pat has 60k miles on it,
And they tend to include cut the rotors regardless
guess its their way of justifying $150 pad install.
Pads from local shops generally go for $20-$50/set depending on brand,

also am not happy with pads they used, very soft, lots of dust,
may end up replacing them myself again.

Medic311
09-25-2009, 10:12 AM
at a local shop,
Would do it myself but living in NYC, pretty difficult to work on the car when i need to,
Cost was $150,
which i think is outrageous
Pat has 60k miles on it,
And they tend to include cut the rotors regardless
guess its their way of justifying $150 pad install.
Pads from local shops generally go for $20-$50/set depending on brand,

also am not happy with pads they used, very soft, lots of dust,
may end up replacing them myself again.

where did you go??? midas? midas and all of those chain service shops upcharge on labor and then they pull a fast one and use cheap pads. you will want to go with Ceramic pads in the future since they don't release the kind of black dust that most types of pads do. Midas and most of those kinds of shops charge roughly $90/hr for labor. it takes under 15 minutes to turn all of your rotors since each rotor only needs to be rotated once or twice for it to be turned. throw in another 30 minutes to change the pads. ok, so now you are still under 1 hour. even if they took their time, they can still do it under an hour. next time you go there (if you do) i would demand that they show how long each item took b/c it doesn't make sense how they got $150 charge for labor when it is $90/hr. they should start charging you for labor as soon as they bring the car into the service bay/garage. the labor charge shouldn't start when you hand them the keys and you sit down in the waiting room.

with regards to changing your brake pads, it's actually quite an easy process. it's so easy that you can do it during your lunch break in your office parking lot. once you have done it a few times, you can change pads in under 30 mins. go to youtube and search for a video which will help you get started on doing it yourself. over the life of the vehicle, you will save thousands of dollars :smiley_thumbs_up:

Terasec
09-25-2009, 10:32 AM
where did you go??? midas? midas and all of those chain service shops upcharge on labor and then they pull a fast one and use cheap pads. you will want to go with Ceramic pads in the future since they don't release the kind of black dust that most types of pads do. Midas and most of those kinds of shops charge roughly $90/hr for labor. it takes under 15 minutes to turn all of your rotors since each rotor only needs to be rotated once or twice for it to be turned. throw in another 30 minutes to change the pads. ok, so now you are still under 1 hour. even if they took their time, they can still do it under an hour. next time you go there (if you do) i would demand that they show how long each item took b/c it doesn't make sense how they got $150 charge for labor when it is $90/hr. they should start charging you for labor as soon as they bring the car into the service bay/garage. the labor charge shouldn't start when you hand them the keys and you sit down in the waiting room.

with regards to changing your brake pads, it's actually quite an easy process. it's so easy that you can do it during your lunch break in your office parking lot. once you have done it a few times, you can change pads in under 30 mins. go to youtube and search for a video which will help you get started on doing it yourself. over the life of the vehicle, you will save thousands of dollars :smiley_thumbs_up:

when i get the chance,
just cant do it on city streets,
also was getting ready for long road trip that weekend(1000 miles or so)
and pads needed to be changed,
Shop is a local guy i know well, always did a good job on my neon.
rates here in Long Island(suburb of NYC ) are extremely high,
chain shops like midas charge +$200 for pads, yes +$200,
In NYC, like brooklyn, Bronx, etc, pads are usually $100-$120.
he said he uses Bendex pads,
I usually use bendex myself, never had them this soft and this much dust,
when i get the chance will take off the pads and see whats really going on.

Medic311
09-25-2009, 10:45 AM
when i get the chance,
just cant do it on city streets,
also was getting ready for long road trip that weekend(1000 miles or so)
and pads needed to be changed,
Shop is a local guy i know well, always did a good job on my neon.
rates here in Long Island(suburb of NYC ) are extremely high,
chain shops like midas charge +$200 for pads, yes +$200,
In NYC, like brooklyn, Bronx, etc, pads are usually $100-$120.
he said he uses Bendex pads,
I usually use bendex myself, never had them this soft and this much dust,
when i get the chance will take off the pads and see whats really going on.

oh ok, yeah i hear ya. you were pressed for time so you had to get it done asap.

i stay away from bendex pads. they tend to be on the lower quality (at least the ones the shops use). next time tell the guy you want ceramic brakes. you will probably pay a little bit more, but the brakes are that much better. no dust is a plus :smiley_thumbs_up:

jeepmuck
09-25-2009, 11:57 AM
Not yet, but if you don't mind how many miles and what type of driving do you do?

I've got over 56000 on mine and my driving is pretty well split even between city and country driving. I'm still riding on the original brakes.

I have most of my service done at my dealer, they've been reasonably priced and good to work with so far. I had them take a look and they said it needed pads and rotors up front. But, I thought the price they quoted me was a little high for the brakes, (I wanna say $180 for the fronts and like $350 for all of them, or maybe it was the $350, just for the front, I'm not sure), so I wanted to shop around a bit and see what everyone else was paying to get them done.

thejeepmonster
09-25-2009, 11:59 AM
Too much (dealership, Canada), too early (26 000 miles, and I'm a gentle brake user, this is ridiculous...). RUST in back brakes, partly seizing (whaaa? This is a 2008? this is ridiculous...)

rocal
09-25-2009, 12:28 PM
We call cutting the rotors "skimming the discs". They hardly ever do that here.Why should they, when they can tell you crap like, "Oh dear, Sir. Those discs really are living on overdraft, aren't they. You've been soooo lucky..." and blah, blah, blah.."So it's new discs this time I reckon..."

Rocal

Schoat333
09-25-2009, 02:17 PM
I only have 20,000 on mine so far so I havent had to yet.

The dealer did clean and adjust my rear brakes the last time it was in tho. The Tech told me that the rears will probably wear out first due to the ESP system and having rear disc.

I guess we will see.

Rskitall
09-25-2009, 02:46 PM
I remember back in the days in the Bronx you would just pay the crackhead to fix your car and they did a good job!. I would suggest ceramic pads also better stopping almost no dust at all and they last a lot longer.I have 36,800 miles and my brake pads are only about half way through.I usually don't stop hard but I drive it like it's paid for

charlimc
09-26-2009, 12:27 PM
I have a 2008 and have 53000 kms on it. Replaced the brakes- front and rear last month - I had it done at the dealer and with oil change, filter, brakes and MVI the cost was a little over $500 canadian. I feel that the wear was excessive- I drive about 60 % city and 40 highway, aand have conservative driving habits.

festerw
09-26-2009, 01:15 PM
Did mine around 35K, dealer wanted $235. I did them in the driveway in around a half hour, total was $35 for the lifetime semi ceramics from Autozone.

Medic311
09-26-2009, 01:18 PM
I would suggest ceramic pads also better stopping almost no dust at all and they last a lot longer.I have 36,800 miles and my brake pads are only about half way through.I usually don't stop hard but I drive it like it's paid for

actually ceramic pads by nature do not last as long as regular pads. you can spend extra $$$ and get ceramic pads that do last longer, but comparing apples to apples ceramic pads actually wear out quicker but they stop better and no dust accumulates on your wheels

djp_63
09-30-2009, 08:21 AM
2007 with disks all around and 63k on original brakes and going.

jessi
09-30-2009, 09:01 AM
I have a 2008 and have 53000 kms on it. Replaced the brakes- front and rear last month - I had it done at the dealer and with oil change, filter, brakes and MVI the cost was a little over $500 canadian. I feel that the wear was excessive- I drive about 60 % city and 40 highway, aand have conservative driving habits.

did u get just the pads changed and rotors machined? or just pads?

i have a 2007 pat with 55 k, never done a brake change on it, or a brake service. its got front and rear discs. the dealer quoted me $715 CAN and these parts were only the front and rear rotors, and front and rear pads.

including labor they wanted 1000.

my friend owns a auto parts store. he quoted the F/R rotors and pads for 285. they are the Raybestos Brand

i cant decide, if i should get oem parts, or just Raybestos parts. the price difference is huge. but i dont know if quality of pads and rotors will make a difference.

inouk
09-30-2009, 12:53 PM
my friend owns a auto parts store. he quoted the F/R rotors and pads for 285. they are the Raybestos Brand

i cant decide, if i should get oem parts, or just Raybestos parts. the price difference is huge. but i dont know if quality of pads and rotors will make a difference.

With my former car, each time I needed to change, I bought pads and rotors the cheapest possible and I do the change myself. I end up paying around 120$ for front and rear. I can last around 80 000 km with those (manual transmission) and it brakes very well. Didn't see a difference between OEM and aftermarket.

I say: go for Raybestos.

Schoat333
09-30-2009, 03:54 PM
With my former car, each time I needed to change, I bought pads and rotors the cheapest possible and I do the change myself. I end up paying around 120$ for front and rear. I can last around 80 000 km with those (manual transmission) and it brakes very well. Didn't see a difference between OEM and aftermarket.

I say: go for Raybestos.

x2

I usually buy ceramic pads and cheap rotors.

The ceramic pads are supposed to disapate the heat better so you dont worp the cheaper rotors. I have never had a problem using this combination.

Raybestos is one of the better brands so I say try them over O.E.

LeonYao
04-02-2011, 01:15 AM
Did mine around 35K, dealer wanted $235. I did them in the driveway in around a half hour, total was $35 for the lifetime semi ceramics from Autozone.

Mine had 33K, dealer wanted $210, I want to do it myself too, but I am having difficult to slide the caliper off after removing fix screws from the back. The capliper can be slide around but kind of caught somewhere, can't be taken off. Can you detail how you did it, thanks. Also, the pad still having like 5mm on it by sight, is it really need to be replaced.

RaRa
04-02-2011, 02:09 AM
Yeah. If at all possible, buy the pads and do it yourself in the driveway. Costs for the pads, time and beer. Not a tough job. I've had a couple of cars that were a little harder than others, but nothing too bad.

festerw
04-02-2011, 05:28 AM
Remove the caliper slides completely then grab the back of the caliper and pull outwards to slightly compress the piston then it should slide off a little easier. Don't be afraid to pry on it a little either.

Then if you're removing the rotors unbolt the caliper bracket.

LeonYao
04-02-2011, 06:09 AM
Remove the caliper slides completely then grab the back of the caliper and pull outwards to slightly compress the piston then it should slide off a little easier. Don't be afraid to pry on it a little either.

Then if you're removing the rotors unbolt the caliper bracket.

Tks, will try it out tomorrow.

Sbranscum
04-02-2011, 05:35 PM
Just bought pads and rotors for the front, 110, no labor cause I do it myself. I was surprised that the rotors are only 36 a piece. Anywho, I bought the pads just under the ceramics.

Sbranscum
04-04-2011, 01:02 PM
Man, I have to tell you guys, I just replaced my front brakes and rotors in less than an hour. It was the easiest brake job I have ever done, and at 110, was well priced.