Replacing Factory Speakers. [Archive] - Jeep Patriot Forums

: Replacing Factory Speakers.

ELISRA
07-05-2007, 07:51 PM
Hello Everybody!! I recently bought my Green Patriot a month and a half ago, and later the front right speaker has a ratlling sound, I most take it to the dealer but I wonder anway, if any of you have instructions about how to remove the door panel in order to install a new HiFi pair of speakers... Any help is welcome! Thanks!

trevor78
07-06-2007, 09:14 PM
ahhh ihave the same problem!

Jeep_Bastard
07-06-2007, 10:24 PM
mee too!

wssprout02
07-07-2007, 12:41 AM
hi guys... i tried doing it myself...took the two screws on the bottom panel off, but i couldn't budge the panel off so i put the screws back in. I talked to a local car stereo dealer to install my speakers, anyways, he mentioned that like the liberty jeep and a few other chrysler cars... the speakers might need a part to fit in, in order to get installed. Not just unplug the wires and connect the new ones. Not as easy as i thought it would be. Hopefully someone can give us a solution soon.... originally would have cost about $40 to install the front alone, but could possibly cost up to $70 because of this new fitting part, and if i do the back as well, it would cost $80 if no part was necessary and $140 with this new part (connection)...not including taxes...:(

Sergio
07-07-2007, 03:39 AM
crutchfield.com has all your answers

http://www.crutchfield.com/S-50eapkiAdzB/cgi-bin/SuperProdGroup.asp?g=399&cm_re=leftnav*spg399*root

pfontainejr
07-07-2007, 07:25 AM
not sure of the address, but i remember seein detailed instructions on speaker replacement for the doors @ the jeep compass website...also, you may want to try the caliber site...

windhamdw
07-14-2007, 08:37 PM
Just did it it on my, the door panel is in 3 pieces. to replace the speaker all you have to do is pop the grill cover off of the speaker there are no screws holding it on. Once you remove the grill there are four screw holding the speaker in.

wssprout02
07-14-2007, 09:40 PM
cool!!...now how did the panels come off? was it easy to pry it off and how many screws are there involved?

sportjeeptj99
07-14-2007, 11:45 PM
Hey all,

New Patriot owner for about 8 days now!!! :smiley_thumbs_up:

Thats all you need to do is pull off the grill in front of the speaker, the entire door panel dosent need to come off. I just did it on my Pat. It's much eaiser then I thought. I can take pics if you want.

wssprout02
07-15-2007, 12:31 AM
sweet...i thought you had to take the panels off... would be great to see pics if you could.. :)

wssprout02
07-15-2007, 01:33 AM
well, i did it... took off the grill which was fine, but the only other hurdle i had was, what exactly is the size of those speakers? are they 6x9's ? i have a pair of 6.5'' speakers and they definitely don't fit in there unless there is some kind of bracket to hold them, to top it off... the stock speakers have this wire bracket which clicks to release the speakers. Are there any wire brackets available for that?

sportjeeptj99
07-15-2007, 11:00 AM
THey are 6x9's. If you want 6.5" you will need brackets of some kind. Take a look at crutchfield online and "outfit you car" and it will let you know what speakers fit where.

They also have the wiring bracket available.

wssprout02
07-15-2007, 05:02 PM
thanks sportjeeptj99 that really helped, was really wondering what to do. I guess i'll go shop for some 6x9's, i saw the bracket for the 6.5's to fit, but was wondering about the hollow gaps around the unfilled part of the bracket after the 6.5's would be fitted. Think that would affect the sound, where as if i got the 6x9's, it would fit completely without gaps,as per stock fit. Anyways thanks again for your help :) much appreciated...

wssprout02
07-16-2007, 01:53 AM
well, today i went to best buy and picked up a pair of 6x9 3way jbl speakers and a pair of speaker brackets to fit the 6.5" speakers i had. Thanks to windhamdw and sportjeeptj99, i did it myself, because of them, i saved about a $100 bucks minimal to get them installed professionally. They didn't have the wirebrackets i needed, so i had to manually cut of the stock brackets and rewire it manually, which was pretty simple, and now everything works just perfectly. :) now i just have to wait for the CANBUS radio replacement interface to be available and the aftermarket deck will be installed. Managed to order a dash kit from Crutchfield, then everything else should fall into place..ie sattellite radio, amp..etc..

sportjeeptj99
07-16-2007, 09:58 AM
Great! Im glad you were able to get that done and save money! I am currently trying to put some tweeters in the dash. Im not doing components just adding tweeters to I am trying to figure out where to wire them in or splice them in. Any ideas anyone?

srothfuss
07-16-2007, 10:19 AM
Anyone have the 9 speaker setup? Was there any type of amplifier on the back of the front speakers (akin to the setup in my Liberty)

What is the sound like after replacing the speakers?

windhamdw
07-16-2007, 12:55 PM
Sorry i just had the basic sound system that's why I was replacing mine. Who ever desided these door panels needs to beaten, try and remove the whole door panel. My Patriot did not come with power door locks so I'm installing them myself. You have to just about remove everything inside the door because it's mounted to the door panels. It took me about 2 hour to remove one door panel.

trevor78
07-16-2007, 02:35 PM
Sorry i just had the basic sound system that's why I was replacing mine. Who ever desided these door panels needs to beaten, try and remove the whole door panel. My Patriot did not come with power door locks so I'm installing them myself. You have to just about remove everything inside the door because it's mounted to the door panels. It took me about 2 hour to remove one door panel.

my pat didnt come w/ power locks either! so i am very interested in your install. btw does the pat have cable style or steel rod type locks?? please let me know what hardware you use and pretty much about the entire install.

thank you in advance!

wssprout02
07-17-2007, 04:42 AM
i don't think it makes a difference if it has power windows or not, try looking below the speaker grill, you should see a small crack slot. This is where you stick a flathead screwdriver and the whole speaker grill dislodges. Takes a little effort at first , but easily comes off. I should post pics of this to show you what i mean..asap. Anyways, i really don't think you need to remove the whole panel doors... i tried doing that in the first place and only two main screws were visible, but after i took out the speaker grill , i noticed another screw holding the panel, so if you just want to replace the speaker, then pop out the grill with a flathead screwdriver. See if that works for you. :)

farmrt88
07-17-2007, 07:49 AM
I just replaced my 4 base speakers with the Mopar/Kicker speakers that are factory fit and plug and play. Very easy, took about 10 minutes total for all 4 speakers. I would recommend a trim panel removal tool, as a screwdriver may scratch panels. There are 4 screws, with 2 being longer. They require a Torx or allen wrench. The instructions from mopar are too large to post, but I can email if anyone would like.

The speakers sound much better. No distortion at all, even at high volumes. I have listened with the volume up to 30, and the sound is perfectly clean, and the bass is much improved. The high notes are much more pronounced, which takes a while to get used to.

Feel free to ask any more questions, as I did tons of research before purchasing the speakers.

nearly.normal.jimmy
07-17-2007, 09:30 AM
Hello farmrt88,

What model Mopar/Kickers did you use?

Do they happen to be on this page?
http://www.mopartsracing.com/parts/Audio.html

Thanks

farmrt88
07-17-2007, 12:39 PM
I purchased the 77Kick06 6x9's. These are only for the base sound system. They also make an upgrade set for the Boston Acoustics system.
check out www.moparsupercenter.com, then 2007 Jeep compass or Dodge caliber to find the base speaker upgrades. They have them for $88.80 per pair, when they retail for $99. I don't think they have them posted for the Patriot yet, but they are the same speakers.
I am very pleased, it was the easiest car audio upgrade ever.

If I am not mistaken, the speakers are covered by Chrysler/Mopar's 3/36,000 mile warranty as well.

Good Luck

JRX
07-20-2007, 04:11 PM
I purchased the 77Kick06 6x9's. These are only for the base sound system. They also make an upgrade set for the Boston Acoustics system.
check out www.moparsupercenter.com, then 2007 Jeep compass or Dodge caliber to find the base speaker upgrades. They have them for $88.80 per pair, when they retail for $99. I don't think they have them posted for the Patriot yet, but they are the same speakers.
I am very pleased, it was the easiest car audio upgrade ever.

If I am not mistaken, the speakers are covered by Chrysler/Mopar's 3/36,000 mile warranty as well.

Good Luck

Looks like a pretty good upgrade approach - the stock speakers could definitely be better. The note on that 77kick06 seemed to indicate that it was for the front only - you replaced all 4 with those same speakers?

sportjeeptj99
07-20-2007, 04:51 PM
I replaced all my door speakers with Pioneer 6972R's. On crutchfield they show they only fit in the back door. They fit perfectly in both front and back doors. A little more snug then the stock but I didnt have to mod anything to get them in. Not sure about the Mopar upgrades but I would guess if it fits in the front it will in the back.

nearly.normal.jimmy
07-20-2007, 04:56 PM
Anyone replace the dash speakers?

What did you use if so?

Cheers,

Jim

sportjeeptj99
07-20-2007, 05:11 PM
I added dash speakers to mine. I used the infinity reference series. They were on crutchfield. Can't remember the model. Sounds much better with them. Right now the adapter from them is "presure fitted" into the hole because they dont line up properly with the screws. I am trying to figure out the best way to mount them for good. If I figure out a good way I will take pics and post them.

nearly.normal.jimmy
07-20-2007, 05:21 PM
I added dash speakers to mine. I used the infinity reference series.

What size did you use?

Thanks

Jim

JRX
07-20-2007, 06:38 PM
Also regarding adding dash speakers - were these tweeters that also required crossovers? Is the wiring / connectors already there to connect to dash speakers?

farmrt88
07-23-2007, 07:00 AM
Looks like a pretty good upgrade approach - the stock speakers could definitely be better. The note on that 77kick06 seemed to indicate that it was for the front only - you replaced all 4 with those same speakers?

I replaced all 4 base door speakers. I saw no problems with the back speakers, they fit just as nicecly as the front door speakers. Very easy install. I would really like to have dash speakers, but didn't feel like messing with the wiring into the dash.

sportjeeptj99
07-23-2007, 10:07 AM
These are the tweeters I added.

http://www.crutchfield.com/S-lqB3HpIQqER/cgi-bin/ProdView.asp?g=430&I=1081021T

The wiring was not there. The speakers had inline crossovers included. I spliced the wires into the existing wires for the front door speakers, and ran them in the dash. It was actually much eaiser then I thought. I didn't have to take any other parts of the dash off other then the top.

The adapters for the speakers dont fit very well in the existing holes. Like I mentioned before, they are kinda "wedged" in for now, but they seem secure enough for me to find a permenant solution.

Gaze
07-23-2007, 10:22 AM
I've never heard the mopar/kicker replacement speakers... are they really worth the cash or should I drop a few extra bucks for some infinity speakers or something? I really like the plug and play idea because I'd rather not risk voiding the warranty.

nearly.normal.jimmy
07-23-2007, 10:34 AM
Kicker makes a great speaker. I didn't know they had paired with Mopar.

In high school ...EVERYBODY wanted a kicker box in the back of their car. (Course we're talking the 80's here ;) )

I wonder if they furnish all stock speakers, cause I got to tell ya, I just have the stock single CD w/6speakers and it is REALLY tight and full sounding. Just need a little more volume for 4 window down highway driving.

Cheers,
Jim

Gaze
07-23-2007, 11:02 AM
Im more than familiar with aftermarket kicker products... my Grand Cherokee has a single 10" Kicker L7 in the back, my Intrepid once had a single 12" SoloX, and I've owned a few sets of 3way speakers.

What I question is the quality of Kicker's "factory" speakers. For instance, my Grand Cherokee came with "Infinity" speakers. But they were trash within months.

n4cr2k
12-06-2007, 11:33 AM
my pat didnt come w/ power locks either! so i am very interested in your install. btw does the pat have cable style or steel rod type locks?? please let me know what hardware you use and pretty much about the entire install.

thank you in advance!

Let us know if you have successfully converted to keyless entry. What kit did you use? Did you do all of the doors?

orangejeepzj
03-17-2009, 09:41 AM
Has anybody put a subwoofer in the riot eyt, one of the factory ones that is out of the way. I dont want to put in a big box, because i dont wanna lose cargo room. I have seen one of ebay but it is like $700 for it

Szabo84
03-17-2009, 09:21 PM
hey im gunna put new speakers in soon and was gunna get kickers that peak 160 watts or i can get another pair of kickers for 10$ more that peak at 270 watts. Is 270 watts to much or should I stick with the 160 watt because i dont want to run an amp. Also does any one know how many watts the factory head unit put out?

Rskitall
03-23-2009, 05:34 PM
I got my sub to fit on the smaller side of the seats in the rear and also have my amp& cap on the small fold down seat here are some pics

http://i674.photobucket.com/albums/vv110/Kennyc30/IMG_0079.jpghttp://i674.photobucket.com/albums/vv110/Kennyc30/IMG_0081.jpg

brooksy
03-27-2009, 11:39 PM
I'd put in one of those slim enclosed subwoofers under the front passenger seat if you don't want to take up the already limited cargo space.
'http://www.sonicelectronix.com/item_12058_Kenwood+KSC-SW10.html

'http://www.onlinecarstereo.com/CarAudio/ProductDetail.aspx?ProductID=18290