Attention - Upcoming Password Changes - Jeep Patriot Forums
Jeeppatriot Suggestions / Tech Support Having technical problems with the forum?
Can we make the site any better? Have a suggestion? Let us know.
Testing Grounds - <<-- Test your signatures and avatars here

2Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 19 (permalink) Old 06-17-2016, 01:29 PM Thread Starter
Administrator

Garage
Attention - Upcoming Password Changes

Hello Everyone,

Per the latest announcements we will be resetting everyone’s passwords. Shortly you should be receiving an email directing you how to change your password. It will look like this:

Quote:
Quote:
Subject: Your new password for *site name*
Dear *username*,

Your password has been reset by an administrator. Your new details are as follows:

Username: *username*

Password: *Randomly generated temp password*

To change your password, please visit this page: *link to password reset edit page from USERCP*

If you suspect this email is a scam, you can confirm the legitimacy of this email by manually navigate to the forum URL yourself and use your new password to log in.

All the best,

Site Name

As you can see it will give you a randomly generated temporary password, as well as telling you where you need to go to updated it accordingly.

If you do not receive this email please go to the contact us page and select Other, and type in Security Password Update Issues

We’re sorry for the inconvenience.

The Community Support Team

Check out our all-new Dodge Dart Forums!! If these forums interest you, even a little bit, please sign up today!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 19 (permalink) Old 06-17-2016, 03:54 PM

why the password resetting?

Mods: 225/65/17 Geolandar A/T, K&N Cold air intake
post #3 of 19 (permalink) Old 06-17-2016, 03:56 PM

I think the new password requirements are too stringent. Is there a way to change it so we have to meet only a few of the requirements?

Mods: 225/65/17 Geolandar A/T, K&N Cold air intake

post #4 of 19 (permalink) Old 06-17-2016, 08:50 PM

Is this site part of the VerticalScope auto group? If so you need to disclose this.

45m passwords stolen from over 1,100 VerticalScope forums

post #5 of 19 (permalink) Old 06-17-2016, 08:54 PM

Send a message via AIM to Terasec Send a message via Yahoo to Terasec
Should be an option to change using old password
Some may not check their emails
Or who knows what email one used when registering
post #6 of 19 (permalink) Old 06-18-2016, 09:15 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ColoradoMan View Post
I think the new password requirements are too stringent. Is there a way to change it so we have to meet only a few of the requirements?
You think!

I just got the e-mail about resetting passwords and after seeing what they require for the new password I e-mailed them and asked that they cancel my account. I am not a regular here anymore and I will be darned if I try and remember a 10 character password that MUST have large/small case, numbers, symbols, and so on. WAY too many requirements and way too long. I wouldn't even stand for that if I still had the Patriot and was a regular. I would still leave. This is a car message forum not a bank for god sake.

Best of luck to you all. I guess I won't be returning from time to time to read and occasionally post/PM to help out.
Terasec likes this.

Royal Purple

SOLD
2011 Jeep Patriot Latitude
2.4L CVT 4WD FDI
post #7 of 19 (permalink) Old 06-18-2016, 06:48 PM
DJA

I got a message like that today and when I tried to change it, it wouldn't let me. I kept getting the "lock-out" after five unsuccessful tries. I finally just opened a new account and lost all my contacts and stuff I had saved in my previous account which I had been using for 6 1/2 years. It kind of sucked.
post #8 of 19 (permalink) Old 06-18-2016, 08:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DJA View Post
I got a message like that today and when I tried to change it, it wouldn't let me. I kept getting the "lock-out" after five unsuccessful tries. I finally just opened a new account and lost all my contacts and stuff I had saved in my previous account which I had been using for 6 1/2 years. It kind of sucked.
Same thing here. I reset the password, then tried again but still wouldn't work.

Turns out that I had to use a capital "S" when typing in my screen name, whereas before all lower case worked fine. A heads up on that would have been nice.

15" Ravine Rims, 235/75/15 Duratracs, CRDSTU coils, JKS Quicker Disconnects, Airbox Baffle Mod., Midland 822 CB w/ 2' Firestik II, Weathertec floor liners.
post #9 of 19 (permalink) Old 06-19-2016, 12:51 AM

Garage
I think they are scrambling and doing damage control at this point. It sucks that most of these hacks are easily preventable by companies yet they don't take the proper precautions in preventing these type of hacks. I seen the other thread and do agree, a notice should have went out explaining why the password changes are in place however it appears that this massive data breach is being sugar coated and downplayed.

And yes ..... the requirements are more stringent than at my employer in which I enforce the password polices. Heck, this forum is now requiring my password to be more complex than even my Apple ID!

Religion has convinced people that there’s an invisible man…living in the sky, who watches everything you do every minute of every day. And the invisible man has a list of ten specific things he doesn’t want you to do. And if you do any of these things, he will send you to a special place, of burning and fire and smoke and torture and anguish for you to live forever, and suffer and burn and scream until the end of time. But he loves you. He loves you and he needs money.

~George Carlin

Last edited by croat; 06-19-2016 at 12:54 AM.
post #10 of 19 (permalink) Old 06-20-2016, 12:28 PM Thread Starter
Administrator

Garage
Hey there,

I understand your frustrations and concerns about the aggressive security upgrades we have implemented.
When we were informed of this issue, we acted on it at a very fast pace, and wanted to find the best and safest means available to us at the time.
Once this has been resolved, we may look into other means of security.

As for now we ask that you be patient with us.
If we can help any way, or if you have further questions, please let us know.

Thank you for your patience and understanding,

Richard.

Check out our all-new Dodge Dart Forums!! If these forums interest you, even a little bit, please sign up today!
post #11 of 19 (permalink) Old 06-20-2016, 12:43 PM

Garage
Yes, please reduce it down to industry standard 8 characters and remove the symbol requirement to rather a requirement for either a symbol or a numeric character.
I think your complaints and frustration by users will reduce by ten fold.
Ignatz likes this.

Religion has convinced people that there’s an invisible man…living in the sky, who watches everything you do every minute of every day. And the invisible man has a list of ten specific things he doesn’t want you to do. And if you do any of these things, he will send you to a special place, of burning and fire and smoke and torture and anguish for you to live forever, and suffer and burn and scream until the end of time. But he loves you. He loves you and he needs money.

~George Carlin
post #12 of 19 (permalink) Old 06-20-2016, 02:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by croat View Post
Yes, please reduce it down to industry standard 8 characters and remove the symbol requirement to rather a requirement for either a symbol or a numeric character.
This x2.

2012 FDII Patriot - Sold
1989 Cherokee Pioneer - 3.5" MC lift
http://aicproductionblog.com/support-this-page/
http://www.youtube.com/c/aicoffroadvideo
post #13 of 19 (permalink) Old 06-20-2016, 04:16 PM Thread Starter
Administrator

Garage
Thanks for the feedback.

We won't be making any of these changes at the moment.
Once we have deployed these changes to our network, we will look into changing the password requirements. As of now, things are moving very fast here, and our focus is on helping the community.

Thank you,

Richard.

post #14 of 19 (permalink) Old 06-20-2016, 10:11 PM

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by DJA View Post
So who were you before?
post #15 of 19 (permalink) Old 06-20-2016, 10:15 PM

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by croat View Post
Right on!

Hey, croat! Isn't it great that we agree on something?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jeep Patriot Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode