Longshot's pictures - Jeep Patriot Forums
 2Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 16 (permalink) Old 12-31-2015, 09:18 PM Thread Starter

Longshot's pictures

I thought I had a thread started over here but I can't seem to find it.

If not, I'll start with today's little adventure to Hidden Falls adventure park.

A buddy of mine wanted to compare the climbing and mudding ability of his FWD Renegade (manual and 1.4L turbo). Gotta admit it, his little car made it through mud that I didn't want to go through but he couldn't creep over rough terrain like I could. I could definitely use that big subframe lift to increase the approach and break over angles.

pudders33 likes this.

Last edited by Longshot270; 12-31-2015 at 09:27 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 16 (permalink) Old 12-31-2015, 09:26 PM Thread Starter

pudders33 likes this.
post #3 of 16 (permalink) Old 01-01-2016, 11:49 AM

Nice Pics! I love the White patriot!

post #4 of 16 (permalink) Old 01-01-2016, 04:26 PM
Banned

Nice pat. I am a bit bias'ed however...ha ha..ours is the same but with black wheels.
post #5 of 16 (permalink) Old 01-03-2016, 10:55 AM Thread Starter

My only complaint was that when my buddy did something stupid and got stuck, there were no recovery points on the Renegade and the car is so low to the ground, getting the rope around anything metal was nearly impossible.

The patriot isn't much better but at least it doesn't get stuck as easy.
post #6 of 16 (permalink) Old 01-24-2016, 08:26 PM Thread Starter

I could have gone to the right but square nose boats don't glance off rock walls very well so I didn't want to risk it....turns out that wasn't a gravel bottom so the boat and prop got lifted out of the water.

So, one of the big attractions to the area is this winding road called Devil's Backbone. I don't drive through there when the sun is low because it is asking to get hit by deer or another vehicle. This pic is called "Moonrise on Devil's backbone"

post #7 of 16 (permalink) Old 05-08-2016, 11:35 PM Thread Starter

Thursday afternoon I drove from work in SA to the southern end of Mustang Island thinking I'd be crashing on the beach until I could join some friends the next day that were planning on leaving their houses at 3 AM to chase trout and redfish Friday.

When I arrived the water was the clear and relatively calm with only minor waves breaking over the sand bars. It was feeling like a good start so I threw out two lines, each with half a blue crab hoping that a big drum or something would hit.

Didn't have any luck but it was a good way to end a long work day.

Luckily my plan to head down early was extremely contagious and they got the rooms stretched forward another day.

On Friday, my buddy offered me a spot on the boat to chase trout and red drum but at 4 AM, that just didn't sound like too good of a plan. Instead, I slept late, ate waffles at the motel and then moseyed down to Mustang Island from the north.

The tide was finicky, wind was low and the sky very clear.
First I wanted to try a spot on the ship channel I had never been to.

I didn't catch anything but it was a good test run to set up the shade, run some baits, eat a sandwich, drink a beer, etc.

I noticed the tide was starting to shift outward so I packed everything up and moved to the sandy side of the island. I had a good feeling because people were moving to where I was at saying the surf was no good for fishing. I don't know what they were smoking, but I saw birds working the first sand bar every 100 yards or so on schools of mullet, whiting and ladyfish. After a bit of driving I found a nice little spot without anyone fishing nearby so I started the process over again. Throw/paddle the bait out, get a drink, eat a few cookies, etc. Unfortunately, my 12 foot surf spinning rod was damaged transporting it between locations and then the plastic level wind drive gear on my Penn 309 had issues. There wasn't much I could do with the broken rod but I was able to do some surf-side surgery to remove the level wind, paddled fresh bait out on an 11/0 hook and waited. My patience was rewarded with a nice fat cobia/ling/lemonfish (whatever you call them locally).

It didn't come close to fitting in my ice chest so I put one trash bag on the head, another on the tail and buried it as best I could in the cooler and hurried back to put it on ice properly. The final measurement was 44 inches and weighed 28 pounds. That was the first one I've ever caught and I'll be targeting them more often after cooking a bit for lunch. Those are some good eating fish.

Drove out Saturday into steady winds and rough surf so the rest of the trip was more chillin' at the beach and getting baits as far out as I could sling them.

Turns out that broken surf rod makes a perfect flag pole.
post #8 of 16 (permalink) Old 05-12-2016, 07:11 AM Thread Starter

Gonna get a group together to run real baits and catch real fish.

post #9 of 16 (permalink) Old 05-12-2016, 09:41 PM

Beautiful locations, fresh fish, good times, Nice!
post #10 of 16 (permalink) Old 05-13-2016, 12:32 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by bwpakk View Post
Beautiful locations, fresh fish, good times, Nice!
Yep! I'm hoping to go back in the next few weeks if I can get some help to go along.
post #11 of 16 (permalink) Old 07-03-2016, 11:48 PM Thread Starter

Made a 3 day run to get away from all the drunks on the river and to try out some new hardware. I didn't want to fool with loading and unloading every time I moved so I rigged up my boat trailer to haul most of the gear.

Setting up the fish camp

The reel on the left is my 309 heavy surf rod, a reel I once thought was huge. On the right is the 9/0.

I found out that I couldn't get my 3-4 ounce spider weights to hold so I tried some bricks I use as wheel chucks. Those didn't hold either. We got one bait to hold for a little while with a daisy chain of spider weights that added up to nearly a pound. The next morning I went for some overkill and got some 1 pound spider weights with sturdy stainless steel legs. 8 ounces is probably plenty but those boat anchors held the 6/0.

Didn't actually catch anything big but I came home with some red drum and spotted trout.
post #12 of 16 (permalink) Old 07-04-2016, 01:58 PM

Keep on Fishing......
post #13 of 16 (permalink) Old 10-20-2016, 07:54 AM Thread Starter

And that we did!
...Doesn't mean we caught much though.

This weekend on Mustang Island. We had high tides, full moon, and wind pushing water up the shore from the gulf.

I recently upgraded to a 4000 peak watt dual fuel generator from Walmart for $300ish. It works great. Next time we are camping on the sand we can run the camper from the generator and won't require a camp site. I also put the hand winch back on the trailer with 100 ft of 3mm cable, glad I did. It worked well for lights.

Pretty water this trip

The first night we stayed up late but only caught hard head catfish, whiting and a small sting ray.

post #14 of 16 (permalink) Old 01-02-2017, 12:46 AM Thread Starter

Final Trip 2016!

Wanted to make one more coastal trip before the end of the year so on Thursday, my bro and I loaded up the gear to try catching something big from the shipping channel between Port Aransas and Aransas Pass. Long story short, we didn't catch anything big, but did get some big blue crabs for a New Year's seafood gumbo!

The trip started off with a chilly 60 degrees and windy (don't make jokes, it's y'all's fault some of you live in the land of snow), I was hoping for it to boost my mileage on the way down but I think it ended up being more of troublesome cross wind. The final stretch leg from Corpus Christi to Port Aransas was definitely unfortunate because I couldn't break 60 mph without running in 4th gear and even then, I could almost watch the fuel gauge go down. Luckily we rolled into Aransas Pass just after the fuel light came on.

After a quick stop at the Whataburger for the only warm meal of the trip, we started hopping the islands looking for a good camp site. For reference, here's a map. There are many names for these little islands separated by 1-5 ft deep water but the one we spent the most time on I'll call Lighthouse Park Island (LPI) for the sake of simplicity because the park is easy to google, the proper name, not so much. Lighthouse park is a paddling trail and LPI serves as the parking/trail head.

Initially, I was wanting to fish in the Aransas Channel, but the wind was blowing from that direction so hard we could barely cast into it, so we settled on the SE side of the island that has a little channel used by bay and duck boats.

One of my gifts this Christmas was a 50 ft string of work lights with 100 watt equivalent LED lights. They worked well, too bad I didn't more of my galvanized poles.

During the night we caught some of the largest hardhead catfish I've ever seen, a small sting ray about the size of a dinner plate, and an undersized trout. The bite came to a complete halt around 8 so we rolled everything up about an hour later and called it a night.

The next morning it was still on the mid 50's and windy but we took down camp and tried a few other places like the Aransas pass ship channel. The Mustang Island surf was a no-go due to the wind and waves and the Aransas ship channel didn't even have bait stealing crabs.

-NE side of LPI.

I definitely got to test out the new BFG KO2s in some of the mud flats and sand that had recently drained during low tide. When the previous tires would have been spinning and slipping, these just kept pulling. The old tires would let the jeep slide sideways into every low spot, that is not the case anymore. I had been afraid of these tires throwing a bunch of mud on the trailer, but since they bit instead of slipped, they never turned fast enough to sling mud.

After getting skunked at every place we tried, we went back to the camp site of the previous night.

For a while, we were fighting with crabs who kept stealing bait. By 10 PM it didn't look like we'd be catching any fish that day so I changed tactics, and fired up the the little cook pot with some crab boil seasoning. In Texas, blue crabs have to be 5 inches wide on the carapace (outer, top shell) to keep but since that doesn't fit in my little cook pot, I just pulled off one claw from each crab we were able to coax into the net. I was still able to eat my fill of crab claws without having a single one come back for round two.

Here's a big one that was thrown back fully intact due to infection.

It got down into the 40's and rain that night and made taking down camp the following morning miserable. I tried one more time for some fish but only caught one crab before it was time to head out. Unfortunately for this one, he got placed in a ziplock bag and packed in ice. The half a quart of live bait shrimp that had survived some hard time in the bait bucket didn't even have a chance to hop off the hook to freedom, they also found their way into the ice in a ziplock submarine.

By the time I got home, I was tired and cheated with some Zatarans gumbo with rice.

post #15 of 16 (permalink) Old 01-02-2017, 10:10 AM

Great pics, thanks for sharing.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jeep Patriot Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode