Things got really busy and I didn't have time to get the pictures uploaded.
End of August some friends and I wanted to give Matagorda a try for sharks and such. We all left from work on Friday. My buddy in the black jeep had a little utility trailer with gear, generator, lights, canopies and some coolers of ice. They got there near the end of the day and picked the camp site and started setting up camp. I got there just after sunset with the bulk of the fishing gear, kayak, etc.
There was some bait running in the surf but most of it was too quick for the cast net. The deeper water and faster rip currents did not help.
We were able to get some stuff like a little pancake sized stingray and a big mullet but those baits didn't last long because within 30 minutes we saw our lines get slack and wash to shore. I don't know what they were cut by, shells or fish, but they all had spiraling slice cut into the line preceded the sharp point of the terminal end where the tackle used to be. We didn't see this again for the rest of trip so I'm thinking it was a school of fish catching the lines by accident. On a lighter note, we did eventually catch the tackle back, empty hooks of course.
Since I also didn't know how high the tide came in at night I stayed up to keep an eye on the water. I have heard some horror stories of friends waking up with their truck cabs full of water. It was worth it because we had to move the vehicles twice and camp once. In the span of moving chairs and rod holders, the little utility trailer my buddy brought sunk to the axle which then got 2wd Renegade stuck also.
Side note: If you guys don't have the straps that roll themselves up yet, get one, they are handy because they maintain enough tension to hang above the sand/dirt/mud, and the one I got has an alleged 5,000# working limit.
Eventually, Saturday morning peaked through the clouds and my buddy went back to town for a pair of beach permits, squid and better shrimp. That is when things got interesting. Before the eggs and sausage was cooked, every line sitting on the second sand bar had something on it. Back to back we brought in 5 little sharks and one good redfish. The sharks were returned but the redfish got buried in ice. Once the sun was above the clouds, the bite died until lunch time when I got a shiny little blacktip.
Aside from a few hardhead and one or two gafftop catfish, the bite was pretty slow until the afternoon when we reeled in a little bitty hammer head
At that point, I unrolled my chair cushion to catch a nap before the sunset bite picked up. About two hours later I was woken up by some commotion and someone hollering that I needed to wake up and help. I peaked under my hat brim and saw one of the stiff rods bent all the way over and the braid loaded spinning reel turning some RPMs as the heavy drag was doing little to slow down the critter on the other end. I pulled my jeep around and said to throw the rod in the bumper. That fish wasn't going to win a tug-o-war with a 3,000 pound 4x4. I asked where the bait was at and my buddy said it was a bad cast that nose dived into the first sand bar and was immediately picked up with something that could pull. Yep, a decent sized sting ray. We got it in after a pretty good struggle. Anticipating the possibility of one, I had brought a gig to make disarming critter a bit more safe. I've never eaten one before but apparently they aren't bad so it got rolled up and packed in ice.
Yes, that is an herbicide sprayer, no it has never been used for poisoning. It is pressurized water without the need for electricity.
Everyone is afraid of sharks which are pretty low on the list of biting humans. Meanwhile, this bugger was 50 feet from the water line and every inch of that spine is barbed.
Saturday night wasn't very good for fishing, caught a few more hard heads but nothing worth noting.
By Sunday morning, the surf was flat and the water cool. The shells on the beach had all disappeared and it could be the fish went with them, I've heard the two are loosely related.
After this trip I realized the 400# leaf springs would not be adequate for this trailer. Luckily there is a nearby Northern Tool that had 1000# leaf springs for $20/each.
This is after I put the heavier springs on. I noticed it sits about an inch higher and tows much better with reduced trailer sway.