Washing Interval? - Page 2 - Jeep Patriot Forums
Detailing 101 Discuss tips and tricks on making your Jeep look its best!

2Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #16 of 24 (permalink) Old 01-23-2016, 10:09 PM

It seems to me that the more often you wash your vehicle, the easier it is to get it clean each time.
I can get our vehicles fairly clean for 3 or 4 bucks @ the car wash. When it gets warmer, I just wash them with the hose in the driveway.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #17 of 24 (permalink) Old 01-23-2016, 11:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by That phucker View Post
It seems to me that the more often you wash your vehicle, the easier it is to get it clean each time.
I can get our vehicles fairly clean for 3 or 4 bucks @ the car wash. When it gets warmer, I just wash them with the hose in the driveway.
So true...easier to keep it clean than to get it clean.

post #18 of 24 (permalink) Old 09-16-2016, 06:47 PM

I live in the snow belt, where they use a beet juice brine solution prior to salt and coal ash. Even after the snow is gone, and the temperature begins staying warm, the road still gets on the paint. Because of this, I wash the vehicle every time I get gas...by driving through the touchless machine across the street. I don't like the systems that use brushes, but sometimes you have no choice in that matter.

It's worked for me for years...no reason to change what works.

2016 Compass Sport True Blue Pearlcoat 2.4L 6-speed. Additions since brand new in September of 2016: 4X Alpine SPJ-691C3, Weathertech floor liner Front only, Scosche Magi-Mount, USB charging port added to glove box and rear passenger area, Hum, Curt 13081 class III receiver. More to come!!

post #19 of 24 (permalink) Old 09-18-2016, 04:23 PM

Us apartment dwellers = automatic car washes!
post #20 of 24 (permalink) Old 09-18-2016, 09:20 PM

Garage
They have unlimited car washes here for $24.95 a month .... however even that leaves me with a once a year hand wash/wax + 2-4 car washes a year.

Religion has convinced people that there’s an invisible man…living in the sky, who watches everything you do every minute of every day. And the invisible man has a list of ten specific things he doesn’t want you to do. And if you do any of these things, he will send you to a special place, of burning and fire and smoke and torture and anguish for you to live forever, and suffer and burn and scream until the end of time. But he loves you. He loves you and he needs money.

~George Carlin
post #21 of 24 (permalink) Old 09-20-2016, 08:24 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by frisco1 View Post
Us apartment dwellers = automatic car washes!
Disabled US homeowners = automatic car washes. I used to hand wash my vehicles. After being injured on the job, the only way my vehicles get hand washed is if my son or daughter does it for me.

2016 Compass Sport True Blue Pearlcoat 2.4L 6-speed. Additions since brand new in September of 2016: 4X Alpine SPJ-691C3, Weathertech floor liner Front only, Scosche Magi-Mount, USB charging port added to glove box and rear passenger area, Hum, Curt 13081 class III receiver. More to come!!
post #22 of 24 (permalink) Old 09-20-2016, 08:28 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by croat View Post
They have unlimited car washes here for $24.95 a month .... however even that leaves me with a once a year hand wash/wax + 2-4 car washes a year.
When I lived in UT and was driving a classic Mercedes as a daily driver through the non-snowing months, I subscribed to a monthly fee car wash place. It was completely touchless through the machine, then hand dried. For a few extra bucks, they'd detail the exterior, too. I do miss that convenience here in the Pittsburgh region that I live in. There isn't one of those places in a 25 mile radius of my house. When I lived in UT, the Mercedes was washed weekly, and detailed once a month. If I had that option here, I'd jump on it.

post #23 of 24 (permalink) Old 04-13-2017, 08:13 PM

I never use one of those car wash places on any of my vehicles. They're swirl mark city.
Some don't care about swirl marks just as long as its clean. Me, i hate swirl marks.
Besides hand washing is good exercise.

Here's my hand wash routine.
-Spray off dirt with a swift hose on the entire vehicle
-Wash one section at a time with soap meant for autos, then rinse off soap
-Same all around vehicle
-Keep entire vehicle wet. In other words don't let any part previously washed dry out..this is the trick
-Spray down the entire vehicle when done washing. Again keep it wet.
-Immediately park the wet vehicle in a garage or shady area
-Spray on Meguiar's Shine as You Dry Quick Wax a section at a time
-Then dry that section with a micro fiber towel.
-Hand ring the towel after each section is completed and repeat same to the next sectioin
Once gone over the entire vehicle with the spray 'n dry wax, then paint will feel silky smooth.

A work of advice if swirl marks aren't your thing.
Had my XJ serviced at the Jeep dealer. They wash the cars before customer pick up i guess as a courtesy.
They swirled the heck out of my Jeep. Since then, i always specify, NO WASH!
Had to spend the better part of an afternoon getting the swirls out with Meguiar's Swirl Remover. Good stuff.

2014 Patriot Latitude 4X4 | 2000 Jeep XJ | 2016 Ford F150 XLT | 2005 Dodge Neon
post #24 of 24 (permalink) Old 04-15-2017, 12:34 AM

Garage
I live in Canada where they heavily salt the roads in the winter time. If you're dealing with that as well, typically you'll want to wash your car more frequently than in warmer weather just to get that salt off. I tried to do it every 2 weeks, but sometimes I go weekly. In the warmer weather I go whenever I can tell it needs a good shine.

I like to go to the "self serve" washes where you do it by hand. I think I do a better job cleaning it than a drive-through car wash. The one I go to uses warm water so I can do it in the winter no problem! Hope that helps.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jeep Patriot Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode