Squeaky Brakes - Jeep Patriot Forums
Jeep Patriot General Discussion General discussion for the Jeep Patriot

1Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 58 (permalink) Old 11-10-2008, 07:16 PM Thread Starter

Squeaky Brakes

I have been having an issue that seems to be getting progressively worse with my '08 Jeep Patriot. The brakes seem to squeak quite often. Every time I start it up and leave for work in the morning. And it has started to do it during the day as well.

I took it into the dealership and the service rep told me that apparently Jeep is using a new material for the brakes which causes them to squeak. They checked out my car and he said my brakes were almost perfect, and that the squeaking is a manufacturing issue that they can't fix.

Is this the truth?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 58 (permalink) Old 11-10-2008, 07:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by wuntrikpony View Post
I have been having an issue that seems to be getting progressively worse with my '08 Jeep Patriot. The brakes seem to squeak quite often. Every time I start it up and leave for work in the morning. And it has started to do it during the day as well.

I took it into the dealership and the service rep told me that apparently Jeep is using a new material for the brakes which causes them to squeak. They checked out my car and he said my brakes were almost perfect, and that the squeaking is a manufacturing issue that they can't fix.

Is this the truth?
Some squeaking or groaning after sitting overnight is not unusual, however it should disappear after you get going.

I'm gonna call BS on your dealer's explanation. Sounds like a cop out. I'd get a second opinion, maybe take it to a shop that just does brakes and rotors.

NP
post #3 of 58 (permalink) Old 11-10-2008, 08:19 PM

Has it been wet lately in your area? Moisture on brakes can cause squeaking as well.

post #4 of 58 (permalink) Old 11-10-2008, 08:32 PM

http://www.trustmymechanic.com/htmlmessage9.html

PURCHASED: 4/29/08
TRADED : 1/16/09
post #5 of 58 (permalink) Old 11-10-2008, 09:12 PM

My 2008 unit does it too. I'm not concerned.

Regards, Jim
post #6 of 58 (permalink) Old 11-11-2008, 10:38 AM

my 07 pat jus started doing it about two thousend km ago. i know its getting cold now, but it never did it last winter. stock pads arent that good but there lasting long for me. dealer said i had 65-70% of life left on them still and iv already put 36000km on em. and i abuse the brakes, it takes quite a while for them to slow the pat down though

07 Patriot 4x2

Powder Coated Rims, General Grabber Tires

3000 K HID Fog Light, 6000 K HID Headlights, Mopar Off Road Lights

Pioneer Head unit with USB, IPod, Aux Hookup.
2 Way Infinity 6x9's
10 Inch MTX Subwoofer, MTX Amp
post #7 of 58 (permalink) Old 01-03-2009, 04:51 PM

Quote:

Is this the truth?
mine squeak and grind every morning regardless or wet or dry! i have 9500km on my 08. sucks because lately i have been prepping my fiance's 02 VW Golf every morning due to snow/cold and hers make no sounds whatsoever. i get the warm garage and she gets outside too. go figure...
post #8 of 58 (permalink) Old 01-03-2009, 08:30 PM

Since my 07 was new, the brakes squeak in cold weather when backing up. The squeaking goes away after things warm up. The colder it is, the longer it lasts. The brakes work perfectly, and show no unusual wear, so I'm not concerned.
post #9 of 58 (permalink) Old 01-04-2009, 09:45 AM

My 08 does it too. First time I have had this on any disc brake equiped vehicle I have had. I believe it is due to the crappy materials that chrysler uses for brakes. I have always heard that chrysler has the worst brakes. As soon as the aftermarket makes rotors for the patriot I am going to replace them.
post #10 of 58 (permalink) Old 01-05-2009, 12:00 PM

Mine squeak too. It goes away after a minute. Someday I'll replace the pads.
post #11 of 58 (permalink) Old 01-05-2009, 01:23 PM

Send a message via AIM to Terasec Send a message via Yahoo to Terasec
squeaky brakes are a problem

Quote:

Is this the truth?
they are not supposed to squeak,
whether its pads, rotors, calipers,
something is wrong,
post #12 of 58 (permalink) Old 01-21-2009, 04:13 PM

Mine are getting worst as well... had them since this past autumn, and was told by the dealer that several Patriots (or Compass/Calibers) have had the same problem.
Most of the winter when temps drop significantly, I don't hear as much of it. But we've had warm temps and melting snow lately, it's been significantly loud - while backing up after starting the truck up. It even does it after stopping for quick stop at the store.

Dealer told me that because of the moisture, this is normal. But it's so frickin loud it echoes through the whole neighbourhood at 5AM I am sure it wakes my neighbours up. As a long term thing, it's gonna drive me nuts. I've parked both outside and in the garage.

It ain't a Sport, it ain't a Limited...it's a NORTH! Jeep, I'll sure be Having Fun UP HERE
post #13 of 58 (permalink) Old 01-21-2009, 04:20 PM

Send a message via AIM to stingerbtry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Evans View Post
My 2008 unit does it too. I'm not concerned.

Regards, Jim
My unit doesn't but my 08 Patriot's brakes do

Chad

2008 Inferno Red/Dk Slate Gray Jeep Patriot Sport 4x4 CVTII
2008 Black/Dk Slate Gray Jeep Wrangler Unlimited 4-door JK

__0_0_0_0
[l_,[____],
l---L -OlllllllO-
()_) ()_)---)_)
post #14 of 58 (permalink) Old 01-21-2009, 05:58 PM

My Patriot does it after setting for a while during moist weather or high humidity. My 1999 Cherokee did it too but not as often and both with OEM and after market parts. I can lightly press the breaks for about 20 to 30 feet and it gos away. It is not near loud enough for my neighbors to hear unless they were out side and close to the Pat. It sounds louder in side the car than out side.

I AM A Reagan Conservative Independent! Not a Bush Conservative Liberal and Kinda Republican.
I am a United States American Citizen. I list my self as a US Citizen because there are North and South American Citizens of other Great Countries.
post #15 of 58 (permalink) Old 01-21-2009, 06:16 PM
Sept 2009 POTM

Quote:
Originally Posted by stingerbtry View Post
My unit doesn't but my 08 Patriot's brakes do
LOL. Too much info there stinger.

My '08 squeaks on a rare occasion, but infrequently enough it hasn't been a concern.

'14 White Cherokee TH------------Mods: Nuttin' yet
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jeep Patriot Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode