4x4 Lock Questions - Jeep Patriot Forums
Jeep Patriot General Discussion General discussion for the Jeep Patriot

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 24 (permalink) Old 08-30-2010, 03:06 PM Thread Starter

4x4 Lock Questions

Hey 4x4 owners,

Quick question: What are your thoughts on being able to 'lock' the 4x4 vs. having an awd vehicle? I found most of the other vehicles I was shopping for were only available in awd.

Also, the 4x4 lock/switch on the patriot north edition I may buy looks really cheap and flimsy (like I could break it off if I pulled too hard). Anyone busted theirs?

Thanks!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 24 (permalink) Old 08-30-2010, 03:26 PM

I don't own one, but drove one- it doesn't take a lot of pressure to flip it on. It's electronic, not a manual engagement- so the only way to break it from what I experienced was if Mongo steals your car.

I like the idea- it's one more thing that has us pumped for the Patriot- we've enjoyed AWD with the Subaru Outback Sport since we bought it in 1999, but the ability to proactively get some torque to all four in known rough conditions is a plus.
post #3 of 24 (permalink) Old 08-30-2010, 03:52 PM

Garage
Better to be locked in before you slip, in some conditions, rather than have it change drive wheels after it slips.

I pretty much just let the AWD work on the roads in winter, and only lock it in (except once last winter) when off road. Now if it were rear wheel drive, I would lock it in on the roads a lot more I bet.

XPADREX was right, it's just an electric switch, no force needed to engage it.

I would say if you never go off road, it might not matter to you, but I prefer having the ability to lock it.

To tell the truth I would love a better drive system for off road, a transfer case with 4wd low range, better suspension, more clearance, etc. But nothing with those capabilities gives me the mileage, or initial cost of the Patriot. I looked for years for a vehicle as capable off road and the mileage and interior room I needed, and all there really was was the Patriot.

You can go fast, but I can go anywhere
post #4 of 24 (permalink) Old 08-30-2010, 04:34 PM

Yea, as others have said the system is AWD normally so it can send power wherever needed. The switch locks the center diff to 50/50 so the computer no longer tries to send power to what it thinks is the best option. If you break the switch, your pulling way to hard on it.
post #5 of 24 (permalink) Old 08-30-2010, 06:11 PM

I had an amusing thought. I wonder how many owners of CR-V's, RAV-4's, Equinox's, Escapes, give a lot of thought about taking their vehicles offroad?
Realistically, those are the class the Patriot's in....

2009 Green Patriot Sport 5-spd 4wd
1996 Cherokee 4.0 5-spd

post #6 of 24 (permalink) Old 08-30-2010, 06:19 PM

Honestly, that's the reason we went with the Patriot... kind of like my Subarus, they might not be full-on 4x4s, but many of the people who own 'em seem to be a bit more wiling to get dirty than the major crop of mini-SUVs.
post #7 of 24 (permalink) Old 08-30-2010, 07:33 PM

pokee,

on the FDII (offroad package), the 4x4 lock also engages other beneficial electronic controls - hill decent speed control (lame), re-maps the engine performance for more torque and locks in the low range gearing and the brake lock differentials. We'll worth it IMO in our mountains.

If you drive up our steep logging roads, I'd go with an FDII model. No regrets here.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xi_SB5W7G4k

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HTutF...eature=related

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IFWfP...eature=related
post #8 of 24 (permalink) Old 08-30-2010, 07:35 PM

and the lever is just an electrical switch - it doesn't need to be beefy.
post #9 of 24 (permalink) Old 08-31-2010, 04:18 AM

I use it a lot in wet conditions on winding roads. It really gives you a sense of security. The nice thing is that it is an instant lock that works at any speed - very smooth.

A lot of AWD cars change to FWD above 20mph or so even with the AWD 'locked'. The Kia Sportage does this and also the RAV4 I think. The Patriot has a real lock that stays locked at any speed.
post #10 of 24 (permalink) Old 08-31-2010, 06:35 AM

Garage
I thought the hill descent, and other features came on line when I shift into Low off-road range, not when I lock 4x4? Seems if I lock 4x4 and stay in D, it's pretty normal.

I needed a daily driver with good mileage as I drive 100 miles a day for work, and then need decent off road for weekends. Not a lot of vehicles fit that bill.

post #11 of 24 (permalink) Old 08-31-2010, 07:40 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Davo View Post
I use it a lot in wet conditions on winding roads. It really gives you a sense of security. The nice thing is that it is an instant lock that works at any speed - very smooth.

A lot of AWD cars change to FWD above 20mph or so even with the AWD 'locked'. The Kia Sportage does this and also the RAV4 I think. The Patriot has a real lock that stays locked at any speed.
I believe the 4WD Lock is only actually engaged at speeds below 15-24 mph or so.

" It’s important to keep in mind that 4WD Lock is a low-speed feature designed for situations such as getting out of a snow-filled driveway or a mud bog, and will deactivate at higher speeds. "

http://www.canadiandriver.com/2007/1...riot-north.htm

2009 Green Patriot Sport 5-spd 4wd
1996 Cherokee 4.0 5-spd

Last edited by Wooden Dog; 08-31-2010 at 07:58 AM.
post #12 of 24 (permalink) Old 08-31-2010, 11:01 AM

I think my euroPatriot has high speed 4wd but I have been wrong before - many times. My manual says you can use the 4wd lock-unlock at any speed. I have been at 80mph with the 4wd light still on. AFAIK, the Patriot uses an electronic clutch to the rear axle which is either on or off. Other AWD systems use a viscous coupling which can't cope with high speeds so they gradually disengage as speed increases.

Like I said, I have been wrong before. High speed 4WD was one of the reasons I chose the Patriot so I will be well embarassed if it cuts out at 15mph.
post #13 of 24 (permalink) Old 08-31-2010, 11:23 AM

The only thing that changes based on the speed is the ESP.

Straight from the owner manual

Quote:
ESP OFF

In this mode, ESP and TCS, except for the “limited slip”
feature described in the TCS section, are turned off until
the vehicle reaches a speed of 35 mph (56 km/h). At 35
mph (56 km/h) the normal ESP stability function returns
with the exception of engine power reduction. TCS
remains off. When the vehicle speed drops below 30 mph
(48 km/h) the ESP system shuts off. ESP is off at low
vehicle speeds so that it will not interfere with off-road
driving but ESP function returns to provide the stability
feature at speeds above 35 mph (56 km/h). The “ESP/
TCS Indicator Light” will always be illuminated when
ESP is off.
Nothing about 4x4 lock tho.
post #14 of 24 (permalink) Old 08-31-2010, 12:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dixiedawg View Post
I thought the hill descent, and other features came on line when I shift into Low off-road range, not when I lock 4x4? Seems if I lock 4x4 and stay in D, it's pretty normal.

I needed a daily driver with good mileage as I drive 100 miles a day for work, and then need decent off road for weekends. Not a lot of vehicles fit that bill.
go into low without 4x4 lock and they stay off too.
post #15 of 24 (permalink) Old 08-31-2010, 01:28 PM

Garage
Quote:
go into low without 4x4 lock and they stay off too
That's true. They both need to be engaged for the down hill crawl, etc. I was saying that using the 4x4 lock without shifting into L, it's similar to an FDI.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jeep Patriot Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode