Jeep Patriot Forums banner

Monday is Memorial Day...

973 views 4 replies 4 participants last post by  jack.allwardt 
#1 ·
Memorial Day, observed on the 4th Monday of May (in the US) is the day we recognize and remember our FALLEN military. In contrast to Veterans' Day, when we recognize our LIVING veterans. However, I feel that every year, we lose hundreds of WW2, Korean War, and Vietnam veterans. I implore you to look around at living veterans around you this Memorial Day, and be aware that many of them will not be here next year--so let's honor those elderly as we honor our fallen.

The VFW--Veterans of Foreign Wars--will be selling "Buddy Poppies" this weekend, some of the funds will benefit Veteran's homes and other projects. So, as you see folks wearing, or selling Buddy Poppies, consider this poem, written during WW1, that "War to end all wars":

In Flanders Fields
In Flanders fields the poppies blow
Between the crosses, row on row,
That mark our place; and in the sky
The larks, still bravely singing, fly
Scarce heard amid the guns below.

We are the Dead. Short days ago
We lived, felt dawn, saw sunset glow,
Loved and were loved, and now we lie
In Flanders fields.

Take up our quarrel with the foe:
To you from failing hands we throw
The torch; be yours to hold it high.
If ye break faith with us who die
We shall not sleep, though poppies grow
In Flanders fields.

Lieutenant Colonel John McCrae, MD (November 30, 1872 – January 28, 1918) was a Canadian poet, physician, author, artist and soldier during World War I, and a surgeon during the Second Battle of Ypres, in Belgium. He is best known for writing the famous war memorial poem "In Flanders Fields". McCrae died of pneumonia near the end of the war.

See less See more
#2 ·
Reactions: bwpakk
#3 ·
Thanks for the reminder and references for the Flanders Field poem, Jack! Sometimes we get caught up in things ( like the convocation and commencement ceremonies here at Cornell ), and think, whew, at least it's a 3 day weekend, and forget the real reason for Monday's importance. Nice video, principleofawesome!

#4 ·
Sadly many forget the real reason for the holiday. My Mother insisted on calling it Decoration Day all her life. My Dad was a veteran and we always took the day seriously. We'd always make our local parade -- it was THE event in town, weeks in the planning and everyone turned out. I marched with the cub scouts and later the Jr/Sr high school bands. If there was no conflict we might go to Springfield (Mass) where he grew up -- that city knew how to do a parade! It must have lasted an hour or probably more.

I hope we will all participate in some community observance. I attended the parade yesterday: a band, all three fire trucks and the ambulance, two Vietnam-era army trucks, some girl scouts and cub scouts, some antique cars and even a few ATVs all arrived at the monument in town where we recited the pledge of allegiance, listen to the national anthem sung, the band played Stars & Stripes Forever and a veteran gave a short speech. Between the participants and the audience, I'm thinking about a quarter of the town was there -- probably 150-200 people, young and old alike. I wish the whole town had turned out, but I'm proud there were that many. So many towns do nothing, either too small to try or too expensive for a city. Really it cost the town very little: the police officer blocked the highway for maybe 1/2 hour, a couple gallons of fuel in the fire trucks; the organizers and the participants were all volunteers.

This is still a great country. We can all play a part in making it even better. Remembering why we're still here is a great way to start.

#5 ·
I don't think there's too many parades any more for Memorial Day--see more for Veterans day. My "new" community seems to be patriotic, and our VFW Post will be hosting a service at the local cemetery, then provide a picnic lunch back at the VFW hall. And, even this "new kid on the block" has a participating role! In my former town in CA, I used to be known as the "Town Patriot" (well before my MK...) as I organized the Memorial Day, Veterans Day, Independence Day, and started a 9-11 observance. Did these as a veteran, not because I was also a "city father", altho being with the city made it easier to get the town's facilities, closing streets, etc. Have a great holiday, you and your family! ja

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.