new 2016 owner, a few questions - Jeep Patriot Forums
Jeep Patriot General Discussion General discussion for the Jeep Patriot

1Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 22 (permalink) Old 05-08-2017, 08:07 PM Thread Starter

new 2016 owner, a few questions

so the girlfriend and i bought a 2016 patriot sport last week. her car was totaled in an accident so we decided to upgrade to a 4wd suv due to the kids, dogs, and the lots of camping we do.

so i have a couple of questions. keep in mind we bought this used with 40,000 miles on it. some stuff is missing from the jeep

1. is there a "kickstand" that holds up the floor of the cargo area? looks like there should be something there on the right hand side.

2. how can i tell if this jeep came with the 115v inverter? there is a hole in the center console which i'm assuming had a cover at some point (or an outlet). i'm thinking of checking fuse and relay locations to see if there is anything there for the inverter. i didnt see any wiring in that hole.

3. wheels and tires. we will be using the 4wd system on this jeep. probably mud and deep sand. will need to upgrade tires. currently has 205's on it. while shopping for a patriot i discovered something about how jeep screwed us by only being able to recalibrate the speedo to stock tire sizes. any work arounds for this yet? i was thinking 225's or 235's if they'd fit.

4. and what has been your favorite/most useful upgrade? i'm thinking a trailer hitch so we can install one of the hitch racks for carrying extra gear.

thanks ahead of time for your thoughts and responses. this is my and her first jeep so we're both pretty excited to get it offroad. although, i do own a 1987 doge w-150 truck with 33" tires and 4wd. so mostly this will be her toy.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 22 (permalink) Old 05-08-2017, 08:08 PM Thread Starter

oh and.....

5. will a full size spare fit in the area where the donut is?
post #3 of 22 (permalink) Old 05-08-2017, 09:52 PM

Garage
Welcome to the site! Hope you find all the info you need. I'll take a shot at a few of your questions.
  1. Mine has nothing to support the cargo floor. I bought it new so it couldn't have gone missing.
  2. I think you've stumbled on to the answer yourself: probably not.
  3. I'm running 225/75-16s and they fit, but barely. I believe newer years than mine set an inch higher, so maybe you can go a bit larger. I never had my speedometer recalibrated. Just google "tire size calculator" and you'll turn up several sites that will give you a % difference from stock size. The 225s give me a 7% speedometer error, so when my speedometer indicates 70 I'm likely doing 75, so watch your speed or the troopers will. Also consider longer stopping distances and additional wear on your brakes.
  4. My Patriot(s) are bare bones (as a Jeep should be!). I did cut a carpet to fit the cargo area because my '08 is nothing but hard plastic and stuff slides all over back there. As for towing, a trailer can be as good as a truck for a fraction of the cost, but be aware that our Patriots have a modest towing capacity.
  5. Yes, a full size spare should fit in your tire storage area, but if you're going beyond stock sizes, maybe not. Just for kicks, take off a wheel and see for yourself!

Again, welcome to the site -- hope you make some good friends on here!

post #4 of 22 (permalink) Old 05-09-2017, 09:57 PM Thread Starter

thanks for the response.

so.....is this a dead forum?
post #5 of 22 (permalink) Old 05-10-2017, 08:16 AM

Hi mate,

Welcome aboard!

Agreed that there's nothing that holds up the floor in the rear, though it would be handy at times!

Agreed that the inverter plug goes where that hole currently is in your Jeep, yes there is normally a plastic cover there.

I would get a roof basket for sure, that gives you much more ability to carry stuff and still be able to go off roading without having to worry about departure angles of a hitch carrier.

I would also go with lighting - say a light bar or hid spotties as the Patriots lighting sucks in my opinion. However, it depends what you want to do with your Patriot. I have mine set up for day trips/short camp trips (4-5 days) and night time 4x4ing.

And yes, a full size spare will fit as I have a full size steel wheel (17"). However if you upgrade I believe that it won't and there are some posts on the forum about that.

Welcome aboard once again mate, and yeah, I have noticed that the traffic on this site seems to have slowed down.

2010 Jeep Patriot Sport 4x4 FDI.

Last edited by BLKJ33P; 05-10-2017 at 08:19 AM.
post #6 of 22 (permalink) Old 05-10-2017, 11:49 AM

Welcome aboard. I've got a 2017 Patriot. There's a plastic cover where the 115v inverter should be. I'm guessing an inverter would have been optional, or standard in one of the higher models. The interior lighting isn't great. There's lights up by the rear view mirror. I keep a small flashlight inside as my 2nd interior light, for when I need lighting behind the front seats. Within a month of getting my Patriot I installed a better stereo deck, a huge improvement. It sounds much better even through the Jeep/Mopar speakers.
post #7 of 22 (permalink) Old 05-10-2017, 07:31 PM Thread Starter

nice, thanks guys. so regarding the interior lighting, have you guys ever heard of superbrightleds.com?

i upgraded a lot of lighting inside the cab of my 87 dodge truck. works great. guaranteed they have lighting to upgrade the bulbs in the interior.

a roof rack is a possibility, as long as its easy to remove. my girlfriend will be commuting 80 miles round trip 3 days a week with this jeep so a roof rack would kill the mpg's.

in regards to the exterior lights. i'm just glad it came with fog lights. but we wont be doing too much night wheeling and its on a local chunk of property we know really well.

so what i do have planned so far is definitely some build your own front tow hooks or buy the stock expensive hooks, and a rear hitch.
post #8 of 22 (permalink) Old 05-10-2017, 07:42 PM

Garage
I don't know about a basket, but the roof rack will not make much of a difference in fuel economy. I'm a bit of a fuel economy fanatic so if I'm OK with it, you should be too!

FYI, I installed my crossbars so I can remove them if I wish. If you follow the instructions of have the dealer do it, they're permanent. I've just gotten too lazy to remove them so they stay on most of the time.
post #9 of 22 (permalink) Old 05-10-2017, 08:20 PM Thread Starter

we will be getting the cross bars for sure. you avatar picture actually reminded me about how badly the girlfriend and i want to get kayaks. the crossbars would be perfect for that.
post #10 of 22 (permalink) Old 05-10-2017, 09:18 PM

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by maachine View Post
we will be getting the cross bars for sure. you avatar picture actually reminded me about how badly the girlfriend and i want to get kayaks. the crossbars would be perfect for that.
Actually a photo in the sales literature showing a Patriot with a canoe on the roof was a helpful factor in deciding to get a CUV. Actually I was shopping for an Avenger when I stumbled upon the Patriot.

My canoe fits perfectly between the side rails with the crossbars removed. A Kayak probably needs its own rack so you may need the crossbars.

Last edited by Ignatz; 05-10-2017 at 09:20 PM.
post #11 of 22 (permalink) Old 05-10-2017, 10:05 PM

Yeah I agree with the roof basket, it does affect the fuel economy - I'm lazy now so I don't remove the basket/lighting.

The roof rack is super handy for me and the fiancÚ's paddle boards and agree that they don't affect the fuel economy, neglible at best. I bought OEM style roof racks on eBay for a reasonable price and they're easy to remove.

The only reason I mentioned the basket was because I think you said you had kids and a dog. Once you load them in the backseat and potentially the dog in the boot it doesn't leave much room in the Jeep for other things.

I have fog lights with mine too and I think the lighting still sucks at night when off roading, but as you mentioned you won't be doing much at night so you should be fine. They're super useful for me to avoid kangaroos at night on the highway.

Another useful cheap addition I've found is wind/rain visors on the windows.

2010 Jeep Patriot Sport 4x4 FDI.
post #12 of 22 (permalink) Old 05-11-2017, 07:09 AM

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by BLKJ33P View Post
They're super useful for me to avoid kangaroos at night on the highway.

Made me chuckle. No kangaroos here, but I've taken out a deer -- and spared the lives of many more.
BLKJ33P likes this.
post #13 of 22 (permalink) Old 05-11-2017, 10:42 AM

3. I've got 225/65 R17 mounted with no interference issues.

They're approx. 2" larger diameter than the stock tires which created a speedometer error of about 3 miles/hr.
I use a small GPS unit that has an option of reading mph which is extremely accurate.

You can stop by the Jeep dealer and ask if they will re-cal your speedometer. Don't know if they can do this 'officially'.
I know a Jeep tech. who re-cal'd mine for free. He could only get it to about a 1/2 mph error, the max of the adjustment which is good enough.

As i posted in another thread, if you have the 6-speed auto, the larger tires in my case also caused the transmission to shift into over drive a few mph higher than normal.

2014 Patriot Latitude 4X4 | 2000 Jeep XJ | 2016 Ford F150 XLT | 2005 Dodge Neon
post #14 of 22 (permalink) Old 05-11-2017, 10:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ignatz View Post

Made me chuckle. No kangaroos here, but I've taken out a deer -- and spared the lives of many more.
Same here, i had 4 vehicle to deer collisions out here in the boonies.
The last one was with my brand new F150 with only 1100 miles on it.
Too numerous to count close one's.

So many i mounted auxiliary driving lights on my XJ and aimed them towards the sides of the road.

BTW, ever had one stand in the middle of the road and not budge even blasting the horn?
Or spot one on the side of the road deciding whether of not to dart out?

Here's what works every time.
Roll down the window, stick your head out and howl/yap like a coyote.
Don't laugh, it works.

2014 Patriot Latitude 4X4 | 2000 Jeep XJ | 2016 Ford F150 XLT | 2005 Dodge Neon
post #15 of 22 (permalink) Old 05-11-2017, 11:26 AM

Garage
I bagged my deer just outside a small town. Deer was lost in the oncoming headlights and just strolled into my lane. Too late for me to stop.

Wifey was on Her motorcycle and cut between a mother moose and her calves. Seems mother had already crossed the road and the calves were trailing behind. She wasn't going to stop for fear of appearing to be a moose with the handlebars, helmet and all -- just gunned it and got out of there. Moose are fairly docile, but being between a mother and her young is not a good idea.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jeep Patriot Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode