I just lost a big Patriot fan... - Jeep Patriot Forums
Jeep Patriot General Discussion General discussion for the Jeep Patriot

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 9 (permalink) Old 04-20-2017, 02:24 PM Thread Starter

I just lost a big Patriot fan...

My mom recently passed away suddenly while out walking her dog. She was almost 74.Thought I'd share a bit if it's OK.

When I brought the new Jeep home back in 2010 she took an immediate liking to it. The colour, the height, the boxy shape and all the amenities inside. It was a marked departure from her old hatchback that she drove.

We did a lot of trips together, the big one was to go way out to the tree farm every year and cut our Xmas trees down and place them on the Jeep's roof racks. Me, my wife and son, my mom and our 2 large dogs jammed in the back. The Jeep would be an utter mess after that, smelling of campfire smoke and wet dog, fur and paw prints everywhere.

Up until last year, when she started losing her sight, I would lend it to her for the weekend or longer so she could go visit friends that lived out of town since her old Focus wasn't that trustworthy and she hated taking public transport.

She would always comment on the heated seats and how good the stereo sounded, (she really cranked it up to play Stones and Beatles) , that she liked being higher up and her dog could lay down in the back when the seats were folded down. She felt very confident driving it, especially in the winter with the Blizzaks on.

She loved to drive, she felt "free" she would tell me. I think one of the reasons I'm so anal about maintenance and repairs is because I always felt it had to be in absolutely top shape for my moms safety and comfort when she needed to drive it.

After she lost her license, I would pick her up at her place and take her on errands, sometimes in winter storms since it never bothered me to drive in those conditions. Dog behind her as always, heated seat on for her back, Rolling Stones turned up.

The day before she passed, we went to Costco to shop and get lunch, hotdog and a pop. She didn't buy anything else, just wanted to come along for the ride.

I just transferred ownership of the Patriot to my son. He needs to get to university and a part-time job but public transit isn't working logistically. I gave him a choice of 2 vehicles, the Jeep or the german sedan and he wanted the Jeep. He likes the same aspects of it as my mom did. No cranked up Rolling Stones though, some clown named The Weeknd...

FDII LTD.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 (permalink) Old 04-20-2017, 06:31 PM

My condolences

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

2015 Jeep Patriot Sport
post #3 of 9 (permalink) Old 04-20-2017, 08:01 PM

Garage
My sympathy on your loss. I'm glad you had a good relationship with her. The memories will always be precious. May God be with you and your family.

post #4 of 9 (permalink) Old 04-20-2017, 09:56 PM
Use the SEARCH feature

Condolences

Truckin' the bread all over your @$$!
post #5 of 9 (permalink) Old 04-21-2017, 11:26 AM

Sorry for your loss Murphy.
post #6 of 9 (permalink) Old 04-21-2017, 06:11 PM

DJ, very sorry to hear of your loss. My condolences to you and family, and thank you for sharing your story.

15" Ravine Rims, 235/75/15 Duratracs, CRDSTU coils, JKS Quicker Disconnects, Airbox Baffle Mod., Midland 822 CB w/ 2' Firestik II, Weathertec floor liners.
post #7 of 9 (permalink) Old 04-21-2017, 08:19 PM

My condolences for your loss!

2014 Patriot Latitude 4X4 | 2000 Jeep XJ | 2016 Ford F150 XLT | 2005 Dodge Neon
post #8 of 9 (permalink) Old 04-24-2017, 10:41 AM

Garage
Very sorry for your loss. Clearly your Mother meant a lot to you and you to her. Thank you for sharing your story.

2014 Black Jeep Patriot, Latitude, FDII, Sun and Sound package, remote start
2015 White Jeep Grand Cherokee, Limited, Luxury group II
post #9 of 9 (permalink) Old 04-24-2017, 12:20 PM

Garage
So sorry for you loss, DJ...
but she's up there in Jeep heaven playing around with the other Jeepers.
And that last sentence made me laugh so hard... "some clown named The Weekend"

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jeep Patriot Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode