How can I tell if 4x4 has Freedom I or II - Jeep Patriot Forums
Jeep Patriot General Discussion General discussion for the Jeep Patriot

1Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 29 (permalink) Old 04-14-2017, 09:41 AM Thread Starter

Cool How can I tell if 4x4 has Freedom I or II

I am looking to buy a 2016 4x4 Patriot Latitude from Hertzcarsales. I would like to get the most capable 4WD I can get. (I can't afford a Wrangler!). It is for The Big Island of Hawaii.
They have 2016 Patriot Latitudes with 4WD and the CVT trans. Does this mean that it definitely has the Freedom II?

I will only be putting about 6,000 mile a year on the vehicle. We have a condo on the Big Island and go about 4 times a year. I currently own a 2005 Ford Sport Trac 4x4. It will be used about 70% driving on paved roads and 30% driving on rocky trails and occasional sand. Lots of steep grades. Some of the trails are a bit challenging for the Sport Trac but we are always able to make it.
Hertz also has 2016 Compass 4x4's with the 6 speed automatic. Am I correct in assuming that the Compasses must have the Freedom I?
How does the Freedom I and Freedom II compare?
Thanks in advance!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 29 (permalink) Old 04-14-2017, 10:52 AM

Its my understanding FD2's are semi-rare. I doubt Hertz would be renting out FD2's.
Probably the easiest way to tell is the 'Trail Rated' emblem on the front driver's side fender, an inch or so more ground clearance and two front tow hooks and one back tow hook.

Don't know about the 17's but all previous FD2's have CVT transmissions.
If it were me i'd opt for the 6 speed automatic FD1.. just a personal preference.
All FD1 automatic Pats starting and including with the 2014 models came with the 6 speed automatic transmissions.

Other than the better ground clearance of FD2, FD1 is very capable off road with the right tires.

2014 Patriot Latitude 4X4 | 2000 Jeep XJ | 2016 Ford F150 XLT | 2005 Dodge Neon
post #3 of 29 (permalink) Old 04-14-2017, 11:10 AM Thread Starter

Thanks Moparado.

Do all 6 speed automatics include the Freedom 1?

After searching the VIN number, 1C4NJRFB2GD616673 the build sheet shows it appears that it doesn't have the CVT anyway even though Hertz site said it did.
Four Wheel Drive (4WD)/(4X4) - 6-Speed Automatic Transmission
AutoStick (R) Automatic Transmission - 2.4L I4 DOHC 16V Dual VVT Engine

Not sure what Customer Preferred Package 2DB
Customer Preferred Package 2GB are.

post #4 of 29 (permalink) Old 04-14-2017, 11:59 AM

Tell #1 of a FDII, trail rated badge on driver's side front fender.
Tell #2 of a FDII, Tow hooks front and rear
Tell #3 of a FDII (and most important) the shift level will have the PND as standard, but under D it will have L with the words "Off road" next to it. a FDI will have a +/- for the shift on the fly stuff.

The big differences between a FDI and a FDII are more aggressive BLD's, hill decent control, and lower gearing (which hurts fuel economy). after 2010, if they have the same tires, they have the same ground clearance. I would drive a FDII if you could to see if you mind the CVT. its quite polarizing.

If your sport track struggles with some of the hills, then the patriot will struggle even more. I have owned a FDII patriot, and own a cherokee and a ford ranger truck (which the sport track is based on), and the patriot cannot hold a candle to he actual 4x4 systems of a cherokee XJ or a truck with a real low range gear box.

2012 FDII Patriot - Sold
1989 Cherokee Pioneer - 3.5" MC lift
http://aicproductionblog.com/support-this-page/
http://www.youtube.com/c/aicoffroadvideo
post #5 of 29 (permalink) Old 04-14-2017, 07:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by okiesnake View Post
Thanks Moparado.

...Do all 6 speed automatics include the Freedom 1....?
No, there are 6 speed automatics ('14-'17 years) with only front wheel drive and it won't have any FD's.

If you want a 6 speed automatic FD1, make sure its a 4x4 and a 2014 to 2017 year model.
Also if it has the little chrome 4x4 lock lever at the rear of the center console, its a 4x4 FD1.

It can be confusing for 1st time buyers..excluding manual transmissions;
all earlier years up to and including 2013 have CVTs ,
some are 4x4 'trail rated' FD2s all with CVTs...all years,
some are 2WD only with CVTs or 6 speed transmissions depending on year,
some are 4x4 FD1s with CVTs with the later years updated to 6 speed transmissions,

Still confused?

post #6 of 29 (permalink) Old 04-14-2017, 07:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by moparado View Post
If you want a 6 speed automatic FD1, make sure its a 4x4 and a 2014 to 2017 year model.
Also if it has the little chrome 4x4 lock lever at the rear of the center console, its a 4x4 FD1.
Good to know, I have a 2014 4x4 6 Speed Auto, so likely have the FD1.

Now what I need to know is, what the heck is an FD1 and and FD2 and what are the differences?

What it sounds like to me is that the FD2 has an offroad package on it, so an additional selectable lower crawl gear for those that want to crawl on rocks. I would likely skip that in a Patriot and leave that to my Wrangler with the 35in tires.
post #7 of 29 (permalink) Old 04-15-2017, 09:29 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by aroundincircles View Post
Tell #1 of a FDII, trail rated badge on driver's side front fender.
Tell #2 of a FDII, Tow hooks front and rear
Tell #3 of a FDII (and most important) the shift level will have the PND as standard, but under D it will have L with the words "Off road" next to it. a FDI will have a +/- for the shift on the fly stuff.

Anybody can stick on a trail rated badge so that doesn't mean much. Tow hooks also can be added, but there is also a "Sport Altitude II" package that includes tow hooks on an FD 1. Perhaps that is only here in Canada.
Definitive answer is to look up the VIN http: //www.jeep.com/webselfservice/BuildSheetServlet?vin=your VIN here
or
www .vindecoderz.com
post #8 of 29 (permalink) Old 04-15-2017, 10:03 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by zoner99 View Post
Anybody can stick on a trail rated badge so that doesn't mean much. Tow hooks also can be added, but there is also a "Sport Altitude II" package that includes tow hooks on an FD 1. Perhaps that is only here in Canada.
Definitive answer is to look up the VIN http: //www.jeep.com/webselfservice/BuildSheetServlet?vin=your VIN here
or
www .vindecoderz.com
if you're looking on craigslist, you don't always get the vin, so my 3rd option is 100% way to verify via pictures that it is FDII. but if you're going through pretty quickly, if a patriot doesn't have tow hooks, pass, if it has tow hooks, investigate more.

2012 FDII Patriot - Sold
post #9 of 29 (permalink) Old 04-15-2017, 10:42 AM

Some other features included in the FD2 package;
Hill descent control,
Lower CVT gear ratio for more serious off roading,
Oil cooler,
Grade sensing,

Never been inside a FD2 Pat, but i assume there's a dash panel switch somewhere for hill descent enable....
...that would be another FD2 dead give away.

post #10 of 29 (permalink) Old 04-15-2017, 11:25 AM Thread Starter

Do all 4WD Patriots have 4WD Lock? I understand that only the FD2 have a crawler low "gear" 4WD.

Thanks aroundincircles your feedback about the Patriot verses a Sport Trac / Ranger.

moparado, I should have clarified "Do all 4x4 6 speed automatics include Freedom 1?" I now assume yes?
post #11 of 29 (permalink) Old 04-15-2017, 11:30 AM

yes they all have 4wd lock.

2012 FDII Patriot - Sold
post #12 of 29 (permalink) Old 04-15-2017, 05:46 PM

This really isn't that hard... L Off Road on the shifter is your only true dead giveaway on FD2. There is no additional button for Hill Descent Control - it automatically engages when Off Road and 4WD Lock are selected unless you have the ESP system turned completely off (by holding the TCS button until it turns off.

Tow hooks are not a dead giveaway. They come on the Sport SE, and with the All Weather Capability Group.

FD2 includes:

Low Off Road gear
Oil Cooler
Trailer Prep
140 amp alternator
Engine/fuel tank skid plates
Tow Hooks
Hill Descent Control
More aggressive BLD
Full size spare
All weather floor mats

Maybe other stuff I'm missing.

I wouldn't go as far to say it won't hold a candle to other 4x4 systems. With the right tires and the right driver it's pretty capable, just under powered. My FD2 has seen some terrain that you wouldn't think it could handle with no issues whatsoever.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

2012 Patriot Latitude FDII
post #13 of 29 (permalink) Old 04-15-2017, 07:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by wvguy86 View Post
This really isn't that hard... L Off Road on the shifter is your only true dead giveaway on FD2. There is no additional button for Hill Descent Control - it automatically engages when Off Road and 4WD Lock are selected unless you have the ESP system turned completely off (by holding the TCS button until it turns off.

Tow hooks are not a dead giveaway. They come on the Sport SE, and with the All Weather Capability Group.

FD2 includes:

Low Off Road gear
Oil Cooler
Trailer Prep
140 amp alternator
Engine/fuel tank skid plates
Tow Hooks
Hill Descent Control
More aggressive BLD
Full size spare
All weather floor mats

Maybe other stuff I'm missing.

I wouldn't go as far to say it won't hold a candle to other 4x4 systems. With the right tires and the right driver it's pretty capable, just under powered. My FD2 has seen some terrain that you wouldn't think it could handle with no issues whatsoever.

I'll likely be looking for some new tires in the fall. So what are some of these right tire options others are putting on a Patriot for improved offroad performance? I'm seeing up to a 28in diameter, 8.5in width tire can be put on them. I'm a big fan of the BFG T/A KO2's but I'm not seeing anything that small available in a KO2. The smallest possible fit I saw was a 225/65R17 and coming in at a size of 28.5in x 9in, I'm afraid that might be pushing the envelope on a Patriot.

2014 Patriot Limited 4X4 | 2015 Renegade 4x4 Limited| 2009 Wrangler 4x4 Unlimited | 2003 Liberty 4x4 Limited

Last edited by rednroll; 04-15-2017 at 07:18 PM.
post #14 of 29 (permalink) Old 04-15-2017, 07:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rednroll View Post
I'll likely be looking for some new tires in the fall. So what are some of these right tire options others are putting on a Patriot for improved offroad performance? I'm seeing up to a 28in diameter, 8.5in width tire can be put on them. I'm a big fan of the BFG T/A KO2's but I'm not seeing anything that small available in a KO2.

It depends. Do a search. There are plenty of tire options depending if you want to modify. I ran a 235/65/17 Cooper Discoverer RTX with a 1.25" spacer with minimal rubbing. The pinch weld seems to be the biggest issue.

Currently I'm running a 30.8" tire (245/75/16) but I'm also running TJ Rubicon 16" wheels with 5" backspacing (no spacer needed) and I smashed the pinch weld down and cut the fender liners.

2012 Patriot Latitude FDII
post #15 of 29 (permalink) Old 04-15-2017, 08:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by wvguy86 View Post
.....There is no additional button for Hill Descent Control - it automatically engages when Off Road and 4WD Lock are selected unless you have the ESP system turned completely off (by holding the TCS button until it turns off......
I would of never guessed that hill descent is somewhat automatically enabled depending on other off road settings and possibly the terrain involved.
FD2 hill descent must use both grade sensors and off road settings then to enable it?

I'll take a button to enable or disable hill descent any day.
My F150 FX4 has the hill descent button which works well.
Its not always needed for smaller steep hills.
My XJ UpCountry pkg. Jeep has no hill descent anything just the Tcase low rock crawling gear and brakes.

Are there any indications on the instrument panel that hill descent is enabled?

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jeep Patriot Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode