goodbye Patriot - Jeep Patriot Forums
Jeep Patriot General Discussion General discussion for the Jeep Patriot

3Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 16 (permalink) Old 03-16-2017, 12:05 PM Thread Starter

Garage
goodbye Patriot

Tuesday morning I was involved in a rear collision where I was stopped at a light and was hit from behind by a driver who fell asleep at the wheel...
Looks like the crumple zones worked...
Attached Images
File Type: jpg jeep1.jpg (18.0 KB, 159 views)
File Type: jpg jeep2.jpg (19.3 KB, 150 views)

Ride til your tired, then pedal home...
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 16 (permalink) Old 03-16-2017, 12:18 PM

Garage
Oh no! Hope you are ok!
Accidents suck... I was stopped to take a left hand turn, waiting for traffic when I was rear ended. If my kids had been in the back of the car, that dude might have died that day because I would have killed him myself.

Just thankful it wasn't worse for you! Take care of yourself over the next few weeks!

2007 Patriot Sport 4x4
2001 Grand Cherokee Limited
post #3 of 16 (permalink) Old 03-16-2017, 07:54 PM

Garage
Goodbye Patriot? Is it totalled or are you just not willing to hang onto it after repair?

Regardless, I hope everyone is OK.

post #4 of 16 (permalink) Old 03-16-2017, 08:33 PM

that is totalled, not repairable in the slightest

glad you are ok
BLKJ33P likes this.
post #5 of 16 (permalink) Old 03-16-2017, 08:46 PM
Use the SEARCH feature

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ignatz View Post
Goodbye Patriot? Is it totalled or are you just not willing to hang onto it after repair?
Im assuming you didnt look at the pics.
Theres no bring back that one.

Truckin' the bread all over your @$$!
post #6 of 16 (permalink) Old 03-16-2017, 09:23 PM

Glad your OK.
I was just reading a story on the HAMB forum last night about a guy that was heading towards a red light. He noticed the driver of the car next to him was asleep. He dodged in front of him and let his 64' Chevy pickup get hit in the arse to prevent this guy from running into the intersection. He's a hero in my book.
That said, every time I see or hear about one of these Jeeps getting totaled, I'm reminded of the plug in flashlight in the back that I'm missing. I think to myself, man that sucks. but I want that flashlight. I... Am a horrible human being.

I could never join a club that would have ME as a member.- Groucho Marx
I think it's wrong that only one company makes the game Monopoly.-Steven Wright
post #7 of 16 (permalink) Old 03-16-2017, 11:18 PM

yeah looks totaled. Are you getting an insurance check to cover the vehicle and buy another vehicle ?

2012 2.0 patriot sport fwd

subscribe to my youtube channelhttp://www.youtube.com/channel/UC7udYNC4RSp268vBfCU2jSQ

like my page, facebook https://www.facebook.com/pages/John-Smeton-Fitness/575323199169735?ref=hl

follow my twitter https://twitter.com/SmetonFitness

If I can do anything for you, contact me!
post #8 of 16 (permalink) Old 03-17-2017, 07:19 AM

Ouch! That looks like it was a hard hit! As you say though, the crumple zones did their job and protected the passenger compartment.
post #9 of 16 (permalink) Old 03-17-2017, 07:44 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ignatz View Post

Regardless, I hope everyone is OK.
That is clearly a totaled vehicle.

I was T-Boned last summer by a distracted driver, bought a Patriot for my replacement. She was a young lady and was probably texting as she flew through a red light. The police listed her at fault thanks to a witness who stopped, otherwise it would have been a he said-she said situation and went against my record.

People need to be more alert, not using phones, and drive better in general.

Sorry to see this happened to you! How is your health!? Are you okay?

Last edited by Patriot08TO; 03-17-2017 at 08:26 AM.
post #10 of 16 (permalink) Old 03-17-2017, 08:23 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by John Smeton View Post
yeah looks totaled. Are you getting an insurance check to cover the vehicle and buy another vehicle ?
Hopefully so. Otherwise why pay insurance every month? LOL If we are required to have it, they should be required to pay up.

I learned a lesson after my accident as I only had only liability coverage on my old vehicle, as such the insurance company spent months getting the police report and dicking around before they cut me a cheque. If I had full coverage they would have cut a cheque more quickly. And if I would have been at fault, or there wouldn't have been a witness, I would have gotten nothing.

Now I carry full coverage. But really, you can rarely trust an insurance company. Mine was stalling at every corner and I had to essentially call them every other day at the end to get them to finish the claim.

Last edited by Patriot08TO; 03-17-2017 at 08:28 AM.
post #11 of 16 (permalink) Old 03-17-2017, 10:05 AM Thread Starter

Garage
It is a total loss...I have full coverage insurance but the other drivers insurance is taking care of everything. I will be getting a check for insurance plus pain and suffering, I am pretty beat up but still in one piece. I was stopped and he was asleep, the back of the drivers seat broke off and pulled up the floor/bolts. I must have bounced around pretty good as the passenger seat is damaged too. The insurance adjuster totaled it immediately. I am sure the check wont be enough to replace it with something equivalent...

Ride til your tired, then pedal home...

Last edited by Chris Cheers; 03-17-2017 at 10:10 AM.
post #12 of 16 (permalink) Old 03-17-2017, 08:10 PM

Garage
So its totaled. Indeed, I did look at the photos. It just seems to me that so much of it is OK, at least the front half.

That must have been a pretty hard hit!

Last edited by Ignatz; 03-17-2017 at 08:12 PM.
post #13 of 16 (permalink) Old 03-17-2017, 09:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris Cheers View Post
It is a total loss...I have full coverage insurance but the other drivers insurance is taking care of everything. I will be getting a check for insurance plus pain and suffering, I am pretty beat up but still in one piece. I was stopped and he was asleep, the back of the drivers seat broke off and pulled up the floor/bolts. I must have bounced around pretty good as the passenger seat is damaged too. The insurance adjuster totaled it immediately. I am sure the check wont be enough to replace it with something equivalent...
If insurance is shorting you, find a reputable legal team to provide some advice. Don't just accept the direct settlement first without asking for help. If you get legal representation they may easily double what you would get otherwise, or more, even after their fees.

I was too shy to do this back in the day, but over time there's no time for being shy on these matters.
John Smeton likes this.
post #14 of 16 (permalink) Old 03-17-2017, 11:39 PM
Unsponsored Baja racer

Garage
First time I've heard of an accident with a Patriot where somebody didn't simply walk away. But still, impressive how well you came out after what must've been a 40+ mph hit.

Trekkie, trucker, Jeeper, potential racer. Don't touch my trumpets.
"For God so loved the world that He sent His only begotten Son, that all who believe in him might not perish but have eternal life" -John 3:16
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KOb8IEyCO1o
post #15 of 16 (permalink) Old 03-18-2017, 05:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris Cheers View Post

Also be very careful about how you handle your health issues. The insurance company might ask you to sign something that says after payment of your "pain and suffering" part, you no longer can ask for anything more.

If you haven't done this already, you should go to your doctor for a complete exam of your "pretty beat up". This exam can help you in the future in many ways. If you don't do this, it can be held against you. Yes, have a written record that you saw a doctor for aches and pains associated with the accident. Don't assume anything.

Please follow my advice. My wife was in a head on collision 7 years ago. Very serious problems started about 1 year after the accident. YOU NEED TO HAVE ALL OF YOUR "I's" dotted and "T's" crossed if you develop health issues in the future and wish to be covered. I.E., simple back pain now can turn into spine degeneration over time.
John Smeton likes this.

2014 Sport, 2wd, 2.4L, 6 speed tranny, Winter Chill

Last edited by Treegrower; 03-18-2017 at 05:41 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jeep Patriot Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode