FCA announces extended warranty on front/rear crossmembers - Jeep Patriot Forums
Jeep Patriot General Discussion General discussion for the Jeep Patriot

9Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 21 (permalink) Old 02-21-2017, 03:18 PM Thread Starter

FCA announces extended warranty on front/rear crossmembers

Just received a letter in the mail from FCA announcing they will be extending the warranty on 2008-2012 front and rear crossmembers for Patriot, Compass and Caliber.

Warranty is now 10 years/unlimited metrage from original service date.

Annual inspections are also authorized and covered.

Kudos to FCA for stepping up about this.

FDII LTD.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 21 (permalink) Old 02-21-2017, 07:08 PM

Great, thanks for the info!

15" Ravine Rims, 235/75/15 Duratracs, CRDSTU coils, JKS Quicker Disconnects, Airbox Baffle Mod., Midland 822 CB w/ 2' Firestik II, Weathertec floor liners.
post #3 of 21 (permalink) Old 02-21-2017, 07:37 PM

Garage
That will make a lot of people happy!

post #4 of 21 (permalink) Old 02-21-2017, 08:12 PM

Good news. Kind of implies they made a change to the 2013+ parts.

2016 Patriot Sport, 5 speed manual, 4x4.
post #5 of 21 (permalink) Old 02-22-2017, 09:48 AM

Any number or anything associated with this? I did not receive anything and am not confident the dealer would know what I was talking about if I asked them
post #6 of 21 (permalink) Old 02-23-2017, 09:26 AM

Thanks for the info. Wish they used the term "recall" instead of warranty.

FDl Sport 4x4 E Tow pkg Thule Roof Rack System Reese Hitch Scangauge ll
post #7 of 21 (permalink) Old 02-23-2017, 09:28 AM

I'm not unhappy with mine, I'm just being greedy wanting a new Jeep!

FDl Sport 4x4 E Tow pkg Thule Roof Rack System Reese Hitch Scangauge ll
post #8 of 21 (permalink) Old 02-23-2017, 11:17 AM

What are symptoms that the front/rear crossmembers are going bad? I will keep an eye out for the problem.
post #9 of 21 (permalink) Old 02-23-2017, 01:05 PM

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by ColoradoMan View Post
What are symptoms that the front/rear crossmembers are going bad? I will keep an eye out for the problem.

Best thing is to get under there and look, or have your mechanic look for you.
post #10 of 21 (permalink) Old 02-23-2017, 04:51 PM

Apparently that car is in a state without safety inspection or that would have been noticed.

Now, going by the OP, where are the specific rust issues or locations for rust on the Patriot crossmembers?
post #11 of 21 (permalink) Old 02-23-2017, 07:12 PM

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by kramer View Post
Now, going by the OP, where are the specific rust issues or locations for rust on the Patriot crossmembers?
We've got a couple threads going on this topic. You can find some photos on this thread: Subframe and crossmember warranty / recall?
post #12 of 21 (permalink) Old 02-23-2017, 07:34 PM

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by ColoradoMan View Post
I just got my Extended Warranty letter today. It says that you "may experience a vibration at the steering wheel." Trouble is, so many other things can cause that, few of which are as serious. So there is your symptom. Either that or the engine dropping out on the road! Seriously, the letter also said they are authorizing annual inspections, so if you're nervous about it, take it in for the inspection (assuming you got the letter). If your Patriot was made in that era it would be a good idea to check.

As I've noted elsewhere, mine is fine and checked by the dealer at my last oil change. Mine is a 2008 with 237,000 miles on it, all those miles in the northeast, and almost all in northern New England where salt-laden slush is a factor for half the year -- since I've had my Patriot its been in snow as early as Halloween and as late as Memorial Day some years. So I don't know why I've escaped this problem whiile others with half my miles who live in more moderate climes have the problem. My guess is that some supplier provided low-quality parts that looked authentic but wouldn't last. So depending on which pile they pulled from on the assembly line means you got lucky or not.
post #13 of 21 (permalink) Old 02-23-2017, 10:17 PM Thread Starter

Even with the 10 year extension, 08's won't have much warranty left on the crossmembers which is why it's important to get it inspected asap.

FDII LTD.
post #14 of 21 (permalink) Old 02-24-2017, 09:12 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DJMurphy View Post
Even with the 10 year extension, 08's won't have much warranty left on the crossmembers which is why it's important to get it inspected asap.
I am going to guess that when push comes to shove, FCA will cave in and do repairs longer than 10 years. There has already been a precedent set of other manufacturers repairing rust problems beyond 10 years. FCA has now acknowledged that it is a problem that they are accepting responsibility for. The liability of someone getting seriously injured or killed from failure of these components is a huge risk. So, yes, just toss out the lawsuit card if you are denied frame repair past 10 years.

Another option is to be proactive. If the current subframe has only minor rust, maybe start treating it with a rust treatment like Krown, Rust Check, or CarWell. I want to believe that the attention given to this problem on this forum helped FCA come to the right decision! Good going everyone!!!!

Just for a fun FYI, here is Toyota's most recent (10/2016) dealing with frame rust: Toyota pays $3.4 billion in class-action suit over rusty truck frames - Autoblog

2014 Sport, 2wd, 2.4L, 6 speed tranny, Winter Chill

Last edited by Treegrower; 02-24-2017 at 09:19 AM.
post #15 of 21 (permalink) Old 02-24-2017, 11:05 AM

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Treegrower View Post
Just for a fun FYI, here is Toyota's most recent (10/2016) dealing with frame rust: Toyota pays $3.4 billion in class-action suit over rusty truck frames - Autoblog
Those trucks are about the same age as our early Patriots, and Toyota's going 12 years on their coverage. And all it takes is one lawyer to get them back further.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jeep Patriot Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode