Jeep Patriot Forums banner

6-speed auto

24K views 26 replies 12 participants last post by  Ignatz 
#1 ·
I am sitting here typing after buying my 2017 Patriot. I opened the hood to see the differences. The other vehicle in the driveway is my 2012 Jeep Patriot.

I look on the standard/option sheet that was glued on the window. I see I was "charged" $1450 for this 6-speed tranny on the 2017.

When I drive the 2017, yes, it shifts 5 times into 6 gears. So does my 2012. If I do it thru the autostick.

When I look at the two transmissions, I see an identical match. I am thinking to myself "did they cram 6 gears and associated clutches into the exact same housing"??? Or did some slick engineer reprogram the matrix so the set points in the CVT "acting" like a 6-speed transmission in the drive mode??

I think it is the ladder. So, why am I charged $1450 for the exact same transmission??

That all being said, can I have my 2012 Patriot reprogrammed to this magical 6-speed??

Alfalfa

#2 ·
Not sure which model of Patriot you have, I do know that the 6-speed auto is standard on most models, with the exception of the sport. Also, not sure when the CVT was phased out in favor of the 6-speed. As one who has had both options (altho standard equipment on my units...), I really can't tell too much difference in their relative performances--the CVT would rev the engine up while accelerating, and shift smoothly into increasingly higher gear rations, once you learned that you had to slam the throttle to the floor to gain maximum acceleration, it was a piece of cake! When downshifting for a hill, the CVT again was smoother, just increasing the rpm while smoothly, seamlessly changing gear ratios.

So, your last question is best answered by someone else on this forum that has a 2012, and find out which tranny was standard then.

Any takers on this question? If he does in fact have the CVT, then there is no "magic" solution.

If you've ever taken a path thru the "build and price" screen, you may find that adding standard Lattitude features to a base model sport will be cheaper, and will include some features not offered on the sport.

Good luck!

#3 ·
The CVT was THE automatic transmission until 2014 when the 6 speed auto was made available. The CVT does not have real gears but the autostick feature makes it act like it has gears. I cannot really compare them because our 2008 had the manual stick shift and our 2015 has the 6 speed automatic which has real gears.

#4 · (Edited)
So, why am I charged $1450 for the exact same transmission??
What trim is it? The $1450 charge is the premium over the 5-speed manual which is standard equipment in the lower trims.

The 2012 and 2017 are not the same transmission the only automatic option in 2012 is the Jatco(Nissan) CVT, while the CVT can simulate 6 gears through "auto-stick" it does not have actual gears, just a belt and 2 variable diameter pulleys. The 6-speed auto in the 2017 (or any 2014+ model) is a traditional automatic unit built by Hyundai which uses planetary gear sets and multi-plate wet clutches like automatics have used for decades, unlike the CVT it has discrete gear sets and set ratios (while the CVT can simulate 6 gears via the computer, the 6-speed auto actually has 6 gears). These are two radically different approaches to an automatic transmission with few if any similarities.

#7 ·
^This, none of the transmissions used in the MKs were specifically designed for the platform. The 5-speed manual is a carryover from the Neon, the CVT is a pretty much "off the shelf" unit from Jatco/Nissan, and the 6-speed auto is a pretty much "off the shelf" unit from Hyundai.

#8 ·
Chrysler effectively killed the 200 when they put the 9 speed in it. I never read one good review on the car because of the way the transmission worked. I think the CVT gets a bad rap because people don't realize that it is a different driving experience and, they believe that since it is different, it must not be as good as an automatic. A CVT appeals to me because it is much less complicated than an automatic (whether 6,9,10 speed).

#14 · (Edited)
A tremendous advantage! Nothing quite so thrilling as getting the girl to scoot over nice and close. :latchon: (I've been waiting a long time to use that emoticon) A policeman once scolded me for 1-handed driving (automatic shift) because the other arm was around the gf. ;)

Kids always sat in the middle between Mom & Dad. I'm sure they felt it was safer that way. Somehow our neighbors got 8 kids plus Mom & Dad into the Buick or the Caddy (the Caddy had jump-seats) so that's 10 people. Today they'd be up on charges! What a world. :icon_rolleyes:

#12 ·
Modern automatic-trans International Prostars(the kind that haul 40,000 pound loads) have push-button shifters. I think the only manuals made in the last 20 years have been floor shifters, though. Would be cool to learn a column-shifted manual, too.

#15 ·
My first used car was a 1950 DeSoto that I shared with my Mom. It had a Fluid Drive transmission that also had a clutch. You could pop the clutch and sort of speed shift between Low and Drive and lay a short patch of rubber. That 6 cylinder motor could do over 90 mph or so I was told!

#27 ·
My first car was a Ford that was 10 years newer than yours (144CID, 6-cyl, 3-on-the-tree). The only way it could leave rubber was stopping. It would definitely do 90mph, but the car had a fierce shake much above 70. It was neither good for the car nor prudent for me to drive that poor thing over 60.

#17 ·
Has anyone serviced their own 6 speed auto? Since I am an ex or PT tech I ordered my own diptick and I am thinking of buying my own ATF refill system. Cheaper than replacing a trans.

According to the factory manual, my 2015 with the Hyundai 6 speed transmission will never need to have the fluid changed "under normal operation." If contaminated or a few other conditions or vehicle is driven often under certain conditions it will need to be changed. (can find this in your factory manual)

#18 ·
And you actually believe that? Wait until a 100k or so and you will be changing the trans along with the fluid.

My 96 Cherokee hit 203k because I did regular maintenance, including changing the fluids, not following some vague references in the owners manual. Being in the auto field all my life taught me to take care of stuff before it goes ten fold.

If anybody is interested I found the above fluid refill setup on ebay for half of what Mac or matco tools wanted for the same unit.

#24 · (Edited)
If it sounds too good of a deal.................. I went to 2 Jeep dealers today and a Hyundai dealer to inquire about a full fluid exchange, to "confirm" what I was told over the phone. The 2 Jeep dealers insisted that I had a CVT transmission. Even when they pulled up the VIN, they said "It states 6 speed automatic transmission, but that really means CVT". At home I pulled some window stickers off the web and models with CVT state "Continuously Variable Transmission II", while mine shows "6 speed automatic transmission". Its hard to trust dealers that can't get basic info correct.

I wanted to stay with the OEM SP4-M synthetic fluid. All three of the above dealers use the BG system. BG markets their own universal transmission fluid which is approved for use with SPM4 and it has a very good reputation as a quality product. But, it is not OEM approved, like universal coolants are not OEM approved.

So, the BG system full fluid exchange is about $180 ($250 at Hyundai). Everyone said they do not use OEM fluid. I called an out of town dealer and they said they use Valvolene Maxlife...."its the same thing". Well, again, SP4-M is listed on its label, but it is not OEM approved.

Just following up with what I found out. The trouble with DIY is that you only drain about 2/3 of the fluid out vs. 100%, and the fluid is over $100 for a single drain and fill. I'm debating whether I trust the BG system (just the way I am). Stuck between a rock and hard place.

#25 ·
I would stick with the OE fluid, I'll stop down at the local Jeep dealer and buy it there. Sure you are only replacing about 1/3 to 2/3, but if you do that every 30K +/- you will be way ahead on your transmission lasting a true lifetime.

Those pressure pumps are on ebay in the $200-230 range and should pay for itself. Plus you will need the dipstick about $25.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.