How to spot Freedom Drive II/Off-road package on used Compasses/Patriots - Jeep Patriot Forums
Jeep Patriot General Discussion General discussion for the Jeep Patriot

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 6 (permalink) Old 02-13-2017, 05:33 AM Thread Starter

How to spot Freedom Drive II/Off-road package on used Compasses/Patriots

This is something I have searched for a various sources on the Internet (including here) but I have not been able to get a 100% clear answer. Rather, what I have found is various bits and pieces that might help in identification. Correct me if I am wrong, but here is what I have found:

- Freedom Drive II was never offered on the pre-facelift (round headlight) Compasses, only the 2011+ models.

- The face-lifted 2011+ models have the "Trail-rated" badges on the front fenders if they have FDII(?)

- FDI or AWD vehicles that are not FDII after 2014 only came in 6-speed automatic, leaving only the FDII models that are the only non-2WD models to use a CVT.

On the older Patriots (pre-facelift), I have no clue how to spot if they have FDII. I was wondering if there was something in the VIN that could indicate the feature, is there something on the shifter or a switch to engage the "Crawl" mode? IMO, based on the fender badges FDII equipped vehicles seem relatively rare.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 (permalink) Old 02-13-2017, 10:19 AM
Unsponsored Baja racer

Garage
FD1 was still available with the 5-spd clutch, but any 2.4L with autostick was the stinkin' 6-spd auto for 2014+, yes. On any year Patriot/Compass, don't look for just the Trail Rated badge, as some people add those later. Skid plates and tow hooks are a FD2 thing, but Fiat decided to offer them on some rogue FD1 and 2WD models. The surefire way to find a FD2 for any year is to look for the "L off-road" on the shifter instead of autostick. There should also be an extra button for ESP or something next to the traction control and hazard light buttons. Also, keep in mind that any CVT-equipped 2007 model has the "L", but the 2WD and FD1 models that year didn't have the "off-road" written next to the "L". Autostick wasn't introduced until 2008, due to Chrysler's ignorance of tuning sportiness into an econobox, plus ignorance of the CVT, caused everybody to think the CVT itself was causing sluggishness. And really, it's decently peppy. Jeeps aren't supposed to surge forward like Challengers anyways, haha.

Trekkie, trucker, Jeeper, potential racer. Don't touch my trumpets.
"For God so loved the world that He sent His only begotten Son, that all who believe in him might not perish but have eternal life" -John 3:16
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KOb8IEyCO1o
post #3 of 6 (permalink) Old 02-13-2017, 11:22 AM

its pretty easy to spot a FDII. First look for a "trail rated badge" and/or front AND rear tow hooks. (these things should be easily spotted in pictures online. If it has either of those two things, then look at the shift lever. in a FDI it with have a PRND and below drive it will have a +/- to shift between gears. the FDII will not have the +/- it will have an L with the words "off road" next to it in smaller letters. This is the only 100% guarantee that it is a FDII.

I've seen FWD with trail rated badges added, and tow hooks removed, etc. But its a quick way to weed through them, if they have either/both. but the shift lever is what I look for if I am looking to see if it is trail rated. The sold a fraction of trail rated vs FDI variants, so its a lot harder to find them.

Pre 2011 FDII patriots did have the trail rated badge and tow hooks, so you can search by that still. They are just getting older, so they are more likely to have a badge removed/fall off here or there.

2012 FDII Patriot - Sold
1989 Cherokee Pioneer - 3.5" MC lift
http://aicproductionblog.com/support-this-page/
http://www.youtube.com/c/aicoffroadvideo

post #4 of 6 (permalink) Old 02-14-2017, 07:22 AM

Thumbs up VIN#

If you have the VIN# put it in and check the build details. It should say Freedom-Drive II Off-Road Group, Cont.Var. w/Off-Rd Crawl Ratio Trans, and some other details like oil cooler and tow hooks under optional equipment. Good luck in your search.

https://jeep.custhelp.com/app/jeep/e...WGxOMmc2T2w%3D

2012 FDII WHITE SPORT
post #5 of 6 (permalink) Old 02-14-2017, 10:40 AM

Freedom drive 2 was offered before 2011 as well. Forum member Sandstone has a freedom drive 2 model year 2010.
post #6 of 6 (permalink) Old 02-14-2017, 07:13 PM
Unsponsored Baja racer

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by ColoradoMan View Post
Freedom drive 2 was offered before 2011 as well. Forum member Sandstone has a freedom drive 2 model year 2010.
Yes, but only on the Patriot. As OP specified, 2007-2010 Compasses had no FD2.

Trekkie, trucker, Jeeper, potential racer. Don't touch my trumpets.
"For God so loved the world that He sent His only begotten Son, that all who believe in him might not perish but have eternal life" -John 3:16
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KOb8IEyCO1o
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jeep Patriot Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode