Jeep Patriot General Discussion General discussion for the Jeep Patriot

2Likes
  • 1 Post By Ignatz
  • 1 Post By 15RedMK

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 11 (permalink) Old 01-22-2017, 06:35 PM Thread Starter

Moisture on head gasket?

Hi there,
I'm new here. I have a 2011 Compass 2x4 (very similar to a Patriot I think?) with ~88000 miles. I purchased this thing from Autonation and I feel like since I'm a single woman they're not being straight with me.
Long story made short, this is my 2nd car from them in a month (the first was so screwed up I can't believe they sold it to me). So the Compass is very nice but I took it to my mechanic for an inspection. I know I should have done this before I purchased it but it was 5 days before I was leaving the country for Xmas, and I was stressed out and simply didn't have time.
Anyway, my mechanic diagnosed: "Moisture on head gasket on back of block. Solenoid near timing cover leaking oil. Engine oil overfill 1 quart at least."
Back to autonation I go. It's still under their limited 60 day warranty. They'll fight me on this for sure. Any suggestions on how to handle this?
The mechanic showed me where it was 'seeping', pretty much all along the seal where I could see it. It looked like an oil stain, and grimy. Any suggestions, words of advice, etc. will be appreciated.
Thank you,
Jessica
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 11 (permalink) Old 01-22-2017, 07:05 PM

Garage
First off, welcome Jessica! I hope you find the forum helpful.

You're right you should have had it evaluated before you bought it, but that's water over the dam now.

Well, since its under their warranty, give Autonation a chance to fix it. I'd like to hope Autonation will treat you right. If they deny the problem you probably won't win a fight with them unless you've got a friend who's a lawyer. So if they can't/won't fix it for you, I'd bite the bullet and have your own mechanic do the work.

Whenever you purchase a used vehicle you've got to expect it won't be perfect. Its already run all those miles and things may be starting to show wear. Also realize that the previous owner sold it for a reason -- apparently you've found out what the reason was. As you suggested, Patriots and Compasses are built on the same platform and share the same drive train. Overall these vehicles are pretty reliable so once you get the kinks out you'll probably have a good solid vehicle for many years to come.

So that's how I'd handle it: give the selling dealer a chance; failing that take matters into your own hands. Don't be too paranoid about places wanting to take advantage of women -- there are just as many places that would like to be heroes. I hope your mechanic is one of those.
Walker328 likes this.
post #3 of 11 (permalink) Old 01-22-2017, 07:56 PM

Hi. Sounds like the oil pressure made the oil seep through the gasket. I would ask for a oil change and radiator flush and fluid. Have them do a pressure test on the engine and go from there. There is a 100,000 powertrain warranty but the five year part is up. Contact Jeep Cares member on here she has helped others here and GL.
Walker328 likes this.

Last edited by 15RedMK; 01-22-2017 at 08:05 PM.

post #4 of 11 (permalink) Old 01-22-2017, 08:04 PM Thread Starter

Thank you! I'm new here - where might I find the Jeep Cares person?
post #5 of 11 (permalink) Old 01-22-2017, 08:04 PM Thread Starter

Thanks for your reply. I also hope they'll fix it - I'm just so tired of dealing with his. My trusty paid off perfect car was rear ended and totaled by a texting driver which let me suddenly faced with car shopping, with no time to research, right before Christmas and about to leave town for 18 days. This dealership sold me one car that was like driving a bowl of jello - so much for that 25 point safety inspection - so I'm just not happy now having to go back there for the 4th time and spending upwards of 3 hours. But yes, you're right. Problems are to be expected.

So next question then - how urgent is it to get a seeping head gasket fixed?

Thank you again for your response!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ignatz View Post
First off, welcome Jessica! I hope you find the forum helpful.

You're right you should have had it evaluated before you bought it, but that's water over the dam now.

Well, since its under their warranty, give Autonation a chance to fix it. I'd like to hope Autonation will treat you right. If they deny the problem you probably won't win a fight with them unless you've got a friend who's a lawyer. So if they can't/won't fix it for you, I'd bite the bullet and have your own mechanic do the work.

Whenever you purchase a used vehicle you've got to expect it won't be perfect. Its already run all those miles and things may be starting to show wear. Also realize that the previous owner sold it for a reason -- apparently you've found out what the reason was. As you suggested, Patriots and Compasses are built on the same platform and share the same drive train. Overall these vehicles are pretty reliable so once you get the kinks out you'll probably have a good solid vehicle for many years to come.

So that's how I'd handle it: give the selling dealer a chance; failing that take matters into your own hands. Don't be too paranoid about places wanting to take advantage of women -- there are just as many places that would like to be heroes. I hope your mechanic is one of those.
post #6 of 11 (permalink) Old 01-22-2017, 08:07 PM

Do a search for the Jeepcares member. Others on this site can give you info on that and GL
post #7 of 11 (permalink) Old 01-23-2017, 03:11 PM

Garage
I think Jeep Cares tries to resolve serious problems where a Jeep dealer has failed or refuses to help a customer, or a customer feels a Jeep dealer is not treating them fairly. Is Autonation a Jeep dealer? If so, Jeep Cares may be able to help. If Autonation is not a Jeep dealer or at least an FCA dealer (Dodge, Jeep, Chrysler, or Fiat), then going to Jeep Cares is probably not going to help.

As for how serious the leaking head gasket is depends how how bad the leak is, but in any event it will not get better. That gasket keeps compression where it belongs, and keeps the oil and water apart. When any of those 3 get together or start getting into the outside world (like yours), it means trouble. Its only a matter of time before things get worse, and neglected repairs will do damage after awhile and be more expensive to fix. A head gasket is not something amateurs can do.

Your Patriot is new enough that its certainly worth the repair. If Autonation doesn't fix it right off, I'd just give up on them. No sense getting in fight with a skunk -- you may win, but its not worth it. I'd say take it to a bonafide Jeep dealer where you'll probably pay a little more but it will be fixed right. (After all, a franchised dealer wants you to buy a new Jeep from them someday).

So about Jeep Cares. You can find Jeep Cares by going to the toolbar at the top of this page and clicking on "tools." From the drop down menu choose "members". Its alphabetical so go to "J" and then you'll probably have to go 2 or 3 pages in to find Jeep Cares. Then just send a message from their page. I think that address is monitored by someone named Andrea, but recently I've seen other names there, too. Because I'm a nice guy, here's the link to Jeep Cares: Jeep Patriot Forums - View Profile: JeepCares. I also have a Sister and I cringe when She goes to the repair shop. Fortunately there are good shops that take care of Her.
post #8 of 11 (permalink) Old 01-23-2017, 03:26 PM

Garage
PS, this repair is probably something your mechanic can do and I don't want to take your business away from him. He seems to be a straight shooter and sight-unseen, I trust his judgment. He told you what the problem is, and he is probably capable of fixing it. I think I'd give him a shot at it.

When I suggested a Jeep dealer that was because if the Jeep dealer can't/don't fix it right, Jeep Cares may be able to intervene. Any professional mechanic like yours can do a head gasket -- it just takes special tools (torque wrench) and a technical manual to know how many ft-lbs to tighten, and even what order to tighten the bolts -- believe it or not it can make a difference, and if its done wrong, you'll know it. In fact, that could be the root of your present problem. Guys like me will do oil changes, grease the fittings, change the spark plugs, and even replace ancillary parts, like alternators, batteries and radiators. Taking an engine apart, especially an engine that new, should not be done by well-intentioned friends. Leave that to your mechanic. He's probably been to school for this and he's done this sort of repair a hundred times already.
post #9 of 11 (permalink) Old 01-23-2017, 08:35 PM

Sad thing about this story is that this engine is too new. Someone took that vehicle to hell and back and she should get the tranny service immediately because it's connected to a beat up engine. I would have everything checked and fixed. Probably have a bank cover the extras on a secondary loan what a mess. Give me the address to that AutoNation dealer and I will spend all day screwing around with them. That would be fun.
post #10 of 11 (permalink) Old 01-24-2017, 07:21 AM

Garage
In morning's light I think maybe I over-read your question, or over-replied to it. Yes, your Patriot is safe to drive to work and its not dangerous to drive. Just don't ignore the problem or you will harm your engine eventually.

Hope you get out of this without spending a ton of money. As I said above, your Patriot is certainly worth the repair. Please keep us posted.
post #11 of 11 (permalink) Old 01-24-2017, 11:42 AM

2011 Compass. MK either way.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jeep Patriot Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode