Jeep Patriot Forums banner

FDII worth taking less options and the CVT?

3K views 15 replies 8 participants last post by  dixiedawg 
#1 ·
Looking at Patriots in my area, have roughly 80 on dealer lots within 100 miles.

I *hate* using CVTs in the rental cars I've been in along with the 09 Patriot 2.0 CVT I test drove back in 2010 the first time I was shopping for one. Was much happier with the 2.4 5 speed but the dealer was a ding dong and we ended up buying a Mazda3 instead. Decent commuter car but optionless.

I do a fair amount of off roading to mountain tops to maintain ham radio gear at tower sites in the summers and we get significant amounts of snow. Currently I have 30" on my roof, this would be an unusual year. Most years the most I would see is a foot on the ground.

With that being said, there are only 3 or 4 FDII rigs but they're basic Sports with power options. I like the idea of tow hooks and skid plates, along with Trial Rating but really would prefer to forgo the CVT and just stick to the 6 speed auto.

2.4 5 speed manual are all bone stock here, seems to be the budget model (other than the 2.0 CVT FWD). Wife won't drive a manual.

I've also been looking at the 75th Anniversary Edition rigs, there are a couple of those available here as well.

Should I stick to a 75 or just suck it up and go with the CVT to get the low range?

Other vehicles on our radar include the Jeep Cherokee, Compass, Renegade (too small) and Ford Escape. Budget is 18k-24k.

See less See more
#2 ·
I don't really care for the cvt either, but others seem to like it.

I'll be looking for a used very low mileage last year model Patriot within a couple of years and it'll be a 2.4 six speed fwd....possibly a latitude which I have now. I don't really care about the extras so much but I do like the power windows and locks, and the remote start. You can keep all the other stuff.

If you don't like the cvt I'd say you still won't be happy with your car if you cave and get it just to get the 4 wheel drive.
I know I'll never have another one unless it reaches the point there is no choice. and I don't see that happening.

Good luck with your choice.

#3 ·
I like the idea of a 75th Anniversary Edition, but it's only available with the one trans not originally available on a Patriot. So much for legacy anymore.

I have a 2010 with crank windows, manual seats/mirrors/locks, and CVT. Wouldn't trade it for anything, I love the simplicity of it all. Touchscreen stereos, electric windows, etc. don't have as much place as you might think on a Jeep. Just add an aux trans cooler and keep an eye on the fluid, and the CVT should serve you well.

#4 ·
I suppose it really comes down to if you "need" the 19:1 simulated low-range crawl ratio in the FDII (the 6-speed auto has a 17:1 in the lowest gear). The tow-hooks and skid-plates are easy bolt-ons that can be added if desired (about $500 if you do it your self, add a couple hours of labor to that if you pay someone to install them), the tow-hooks also come with several other packages other then FDII.

I was in the same boat, I would have got an FDII if it wasn't for the CVT, I hate CVTs (just never liked the way they "feel"). I ended up with an FDI and added the front tow-hooks and a hitch on the rear (a hitch is a more solid tow-point than the factory rear-tow hook and of-course it allows you to tow small trailers, hitch-mounted carriers, etc.). I'll probably add the skid-plates at some point as well.

#5 ·
I agree with dmill89, I would really think about the "need" I had a FDII, if I were to do it again... I would probably get the 75th, and insist that the dealer put skid plates on as part of the deal. I would probably skip the lift kit as well.

I used my patriot pretty hard, probably on par with anybody else who has really pushed the limits of the patriot, and found them. if I bought another patriot again, it would be more of a very occasional overland/exploring vehicle than the off roader I tried to use mine like.

I don't know the types of dirt roads you would be traveling, but if they are ones that 4 tires stay on the ground at all times, and not a lot crawling over rocks and logs. I don't think the "low range" of the FDII would be beneficial. I do wish that the hill decent control and the more aggressive BLD's were available on the 75th, they would be good to have.

Tires make a HUGE difference as well. some 235/75r15's on some sick black 15" wheels would look sick, as well as giving you plenty of off road tire options, and the option to air down while off road, and giving a small bit of lift over stock tires without the fear of rubbing/damaging suspension. so regardless of your choice, I would make sure to have some $ set aside for that modification. I destroyed my stock tires the first time I took it out...

#6 ·
Will you add a hitch? Towing package comes with FDII. I needed the skids and hooks, as well, but hardly use the L gear, as it has more aggressive BLDs, which is a hindrance in snow IMHO. I like the CVT though, but I am used to it as this is my second Pat with it.

You can add what you want to an FDI, and it will do well in the snow, and the clearance is the same now too. I think a North edition might fit you.

#7 ·
The other thing with the FDII is the larger alternator, which is good if you want to run other accessories, Like lights, or a bigger stereo, c/b radios, etc. That of course can be added to a FDI, but its one of those things that should be available on other packages. they should have made a FD 1 1/2, with the 6 speed vs the cvt, but everything else from the FDII added.

#8 ·
they should have made a FD 1 1/2
Yes! And they really need a button to turn off BLDs too. Sometimes in ice, with chains, I need the tires to spin, eventually I'll get some traction if they keep going, but in L the wheels will all lock up and you sit there, engine reving, wheels locked tight. In my Tracker in that situation, the wheels will spin until one or more get traction, and we pull away. Of course you have to know the conditions, and not dig a hole in deeper snow, etc. I've had several vehicles get high-centered like that. Always good to have a shovel. Dig underneath till the vehicle drops, and then go again. To me this is just part of the fun of living way back in the mountains.

Anyone who wants to come try my driveway is always welcome.

#10 ·
Yes! And they really need a button to turn off BLDs too.
I thought if you turned the T/C completely off (push and hold the button 10 seconds), it would turn off the BLDs. It at least seemed to in mine when I took it off road. and had a couple of situations where I wanted to keep the tires spinning (sand mostly).

#13 ·
That is the single most important reason I like the CVT. I can auto-stick into the highest 'gear' that will pull it so I'm not losing traction to power. With FWD the last thing I need is a power surge on a snow-covered road. Like tomorrow morning . . .

As for OP's question, I'd rephrase it. Is getting a CVT worth the FDII? As mentioned above I like the CVT in snow, but its also much smoother on highway hills -- ascending or descending, there's no bump between gears.

Nothing wrong with bare-bones vehicles. We've got three of them, all Jeeps, all manual windows, two with manual trannys, only options are fog lights and cruise control. Its a Jeep, man! It think dealers really try to get consumers to over-buy their needs.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.