Changes noticed on 2017 Patriot - Jeep Patriot Forums
Jeep Patriot General Discussion General discussion for the Jeep Patriot

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 12 (permalink) Old 01-10-2017, 04:15 PM Thread Starter

Changes noticed on 2017 Patriot

Hi all,

First time poster but have been lurking since November when i picked up a 2017 Patriot Sport. It's the bare-bones FWD model as I needed an inexpensive SUV and didn't have much need for the 4x4, but i hear the FWD is pretty capable with decent tires and even more capable with a RRO lift. pair that with a set of Tredz or Maxxtrax and i would feel pretty confident in off-roading, but obviously would not get myself into territory i should not venture into without 4x4.

There is a lot of good information on this site, so i really appreciate everybody's input and participation with sharing mods, stories, shortcuts, and just general info for the Patriot. I have many plans to mod my Pat and make it my own, but i still have to play nice to adhere to the warranty i got.

I wanted to start this post to keep a track of small or significant changes on the 2017 final year of production for Patriots. There most likely wont be many but i thought i would contribute to this great forum and give a little back.

- So far I have noticed that the driver side footwell has 2 floor mat hooks instead of 1. This has caused an issue with getting the nice weathertec or similar floor mats as they have not yet developed mats with 2 holes. So i wait, which sucks because i would really like to protect the carpet ASAP to preserve as much factory condition as possible for as long as possible.

- The weatherstrip under the hood, near the front, is almost the entire width of the hood. Compared to pictures of others, this is not the case with earlier models. The only reason i noticed, or even mention this, is because it was a little bit of a hassle when installing the front wind/air deflector and had to drill holes slightly offset from the ideal position. The only effect this has is that the air deflector sits about an inch away from the front of the hood.

- I have a Viper remote start alarm that i wanted to install ASAP along with power lock actuators, but in order to do it correctly i wanted to install the idatalink bypass module. At the time of purchasing the vehicle, and up until mid January (the time of this post), the company that sells the idatalink products, has not yet tested the 2017 Patriot. On their website they have an updated list of vehicles that have been tested and proven to work that they can then provide the firmware for. I have been checking this list every day to see when i can get the firmware for the 2017 Patriot. At first i assumed that i could use the 2016 firmware because not much has changed in these vehicles for some time, but after talking to a customer rep for idata, he recommended i wait for the 2017 firmware just in case anything has changed as it would cause problems with the alarm and remote start if it was the wrong firmware.

- I installed a set of interior LED lights, but had some issues with the fitment. The new lights wouldn't "snap" into the dome light fixtures as the contact ends of the LED board were not large enough diameter for the light fixture to "grab" and hold onto the LED light. This caused the LED lights to slide around and rotate by themselves and made them unusable. This could have been a problem with the manufacturer i bought the LED lights from or it could be a common problem, but didn't find any posts on it. My solution to this was to take the "Frankenstein" approach. This means i took the factory bulbs and actually smashed the glass to extract the contact point at each end, which is basically a thin metal "sleeve" that i could then slide over the new LED contacts and slightly pinch it down to create a solid and secure contact. This worked perfect and now the LED lights fit snug into the factory dome light housing. Has anyone else had issues with new interior LED lights not being a direct replacement fit to factory bulbs?

- I was able to fit a large sized Optima yellow top battery into the factory battery location with not a single issue of clearance in any direction, including the factory air intake tube that rests directly above the battery. i read a lot of back and forth about this topic, but thought i would confirm.

- The patriot has 70% factory tint (colored glass, no film) on the front windows. When i added 35% onto the front windows, it now looks just as dark as the rears. I hope i don't get pulled over as i did not account for this prior to having tint installed. Also, there is no factory "blue strip" on the upper part of the windshield to provide an attempt at blocking sun, so i had a tinted strip installed to make-up for this.

That's about all i can think of, but i will add to this post if i discover more. Thanks again for every bodies help in making this forum so helpful!

Last edited by Booly; 01-10-2017 at 04:40 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 12 (permalink) Old 01-10-2017, 09:08 PM

Garage
Welcome! Thanks for joining up. Looks like you've already been busy playing with your Patriot.

As for off-roading, I think you'll find the Patriot is quite capable. Check out the FWD threads.
post #3 of 12 (permalink) Old 01-10-2017, 10:36 PM

Welcome aboard!

Nice write up.

I find the intake going over the battery really annoying especially when I want to use the battery for my air compressor!

2010 Jeep Patriot Sport 4x4 FDI.

post #4 of 12 (permalink) Old 01-13-2017, 12:42 PM

I also noticed the LED fitment issue, my solution was to pinch the the metal clips so they would secure the smaller light ends. Worked fine for me.

Sent from my SM-T800 using Tapatalk
post #5 of 12 (permalink) Old 01-13-2017, 02:07 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by rich-dastardly View Post
my solution was to pinch the the metal clips so they would secure the smaller light ends.
Well damn. I didn't even think about that, and looking back, it would have been an easier method to fix.
post #6 of 12 (permalink) Old 01-15-2017, 02:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Booly View Post

- So far I have noticed that the driver side footwell has 2 floor mat hooks instead of 1.
Congratulations on your wise purchase. Odd thing about the floor mat hooks though. Both of mine have one and the included floor mats only provide for one.

2017 Patriot Latitude, FWD, 2.4, 5sp, 430 radio/backup camera. 2016 Patriot Sport, FWD, 2.0, 5sp, air, power group. Mopar Splash Guards, Mopar cargo cover, AVS In-Channel Ventvisor, General Altimax RT43 tires, Curt Class III 13081 hitch, front windows tinted to match others, Sport driver's seat raised.
post #7 of 12 (permalink) Old 01-16-2017, 01:00 PM

I can't compare to previous years of Patriots, but I bought a 2017 Patriot Sport 4x4 in September and love it. I've had other trucks/4x4s, and I'm finding this vehicle really good. Runs and performs good, our winters here in Winnipeg are super cold with a lot of snow. Plus the Patriot gives good value for the purchase price. I could have spent lots more and gotten less for it.
post #8 of 12 (permalink) Old 02-06-2017, 02:42 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by 5speed View Post
Odd thing about the floor mat hooks though. Both of mine have one and the included floor mats only provide for one.
Little update for the 2017 Patriot with dual driver side floor mat hooks. Weathertech has developed the floor liner mats with the 2 hooks on the drivers side. With shipping and tax they want like $130. Not sure i want to spend that much but i may have to as i don't see any other brand, like Rugged Ridge, that has the exact fit for the 2017 changes. I REALLY want to protect my carpet and as soon as possible so i may just splurge with tax returns and grab them before i have any major spills or damage to the floor.

2017 Jeep Patriot 2.0 Sport w/ CVT. 17" OEM gloss black wrapped in Yoko G015 225/65/17, Mopar front/rear mudflaps, LED interior/exterior bulb swap, black headlight + grill trim, 35% tint front windows + 5% windshield strip, Optima D34 yellow top, Weathertech in-channel window air deflectors & floor liners front + rear + cargo, K&N air filter swap, plastidiped emblems, Mopar hood wind deflector, sill guard protection, stubby antenna
post #9 of 12 (permalink) Old 02-06-2017, 02:52 PM Thread Starter

Also, still checking the idatalink website every day for new vehicle coverage to see if they have developed the firmware update for the 2017 Patriots (if it's any different than the 2016) alarm/remote start install. I noticed their website has the 2016 Patriot listed on their "new coverage" section but with a date of December 2016. If idata follows the same schedule of firmware updates based on vehicle models, then i may go the route of trying the 2016 firmware instead. Since it seems nothing drastic has changed with 1 year of production, then it may be just fine.

I have done tons of research and have become fairly knowledgeable on idatalink products but still have a few concerns, specifically on remote start using Tipstart type ignition switch's.

If anyone is educated on idatalink, or remote start systems with our pats, please let me know. I just have a few questions that i'd like to clear up. Otherwise i will post back here with more information as i come across it. Hopefully this can help others if they are going down the same path.

I will cross-post this topic in the electrical section as well.

2017 Jeep Patriot 2.0 Sport w/ CVT. 17" OEM gloss black wrapped in Yoko G015 225/65/17, Mopar front/rear mudflaps, LED interior/exterior bulb swap, black headlight + grill trim, 35% tint front windows + 5% windshield strip, Optima D34 yellow top, Weathertech in-channel window air deflectors & floor liners front + rear + cargo, K&N air filter swap, plastidiped emblems, Mopar hood wind deflector, sill guard protection, stubby antenna
post #10 of 12 (permalink) Old 02-06-2017, 07:52 PM

Apparently Weathertech knows that some 2017 Patriots have 1 hook and some have 2 on driver's side. Weathertech doesn't provide that option on previous (2013-2016 that I checked) years. Weird that a mid-year change like this would be made on the final model year. I'd love to know the reason. JeepCares?

2017 Patriot Latitude, FWD, 2.4, 5sp, 430 radio/backup camera. 2016 Patriot Sport, FWD, 2.0, 5sp, air, power group. Mopar Splash Guards, Mopar cargo cover, AVS In-Channel Ventvisor, General Altimax RT43 tires, Curt Class III 13081 hitch, front windows tinted to match others, Sport driver's seat raised.
post #11 of 12 (permalink) Old 02-07-2017, 10:53 AM

My 2017 has one hook for the floor mats. I just put some Weather Tech floor liners in, they fit great. Had to convince the sales guy where I bought them that it has the same floor as a 2016, but once we got past that it was easy.
post #12 of 12 (permalink) Old 02-16-2017, 09:17 PM Thread Starter

Just got the floor mats today and installed. Perfect fit and definitely stays in place with 2 floor hooks. only downside i noticed right off the bat and coming from carpet, was the noise when moving your feet. I'll get used to it.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jeep Patriot Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode