Well, I did it... - Jeep Patriot Forums
Jeep Patriot General Discussion General discussion for the Jeep Patriot

9Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 16 (permalink) Old 01-08-2017, 09:34 PM Thread Starter

Well, I did it...

You already know what this post is about...yet another member sells the Jeep.

I traded the Jeep, January 2 of this year. It was a great vehicle, had some truly amazing times in it, but it was simply time for a change. I'm not going to be one to bash the Patriot, say it is a terrible vehicle, or that it "sucks," because none of that would be true.

When I first saw the Patriot I was actually shopping for a used CR-V. I don't know, maybe something about "
Jeep" seemed cooler than a Honda CR-V to a 15 year old boy. So, the Jeep caught my eye and I went home with it that day. I remember being so thrilled to own a "Jeep." Somewhere early on in my ownership I found this site and it completely changed how I viewed the Patriot. From some members, it made me hate it as I heard people call it a "fake Jeep" or not a "real Jeep", but, there were the other members, members that inspired me to make my Patriot something truly unique. The past few years of owning the Patriot have been a journey. In my Patriot I did my first ever off-roading, first ever donuts, first ever drag racing, among over "firsts" of driving. I also put a competition class stereo system in my Patriot. I know everyone can brag about their system and say their's is the best, but honestly, I know that no matter what, the system I had in my Patriot will always be my favorite that I have ever heard. Next, came the lift. Those of you that have been on the forums since I first joined know that I always wanted to lift the Jeep since I first joined the site. Having the opportunity to lift the Jeep was amazing. I loved the way my Jeep looked with the big tires, off-road wheels, and finally, being able to sit higher than a minivan driver. I'll say lifting my Patriot was the best and worst decision of my Patriot ownership. From the best side of it, lifting my Jeep created in my opinion a truly amazing looking Jeep by any standard, even when comparing it to other Jeep models. I loved the way it rode, and the performance of it off road was even more amazing. As far as it being the worst decision of my Patriot ownership, the reliability of my Jeep seemed to be called more into question after lifting it. I only ever went off road with it a hand full of times, but that seemed to be too much for my Jeep. A year into having the lift and those short trips, my Jeep needed extensive repairs. I had to do about a thousand dollars of suspension repairs such as replacing the tie rods, rear upper control arm bushings, and ball joints. I understand that off roading can cause damage, and I am not placing the blame on anything, but, simply stating my experiences. The next bump in the road with my Patriot was the air bag recall. Jeep issues a recall stating the airbag might not go off in a crash or might deploy incorrectly in the event of an accident, not good. Oh, and there was no fix for it, I value my safety so this recall really did worry me. I would say the final nail in the coffin would be my gas tank breaking down. After trying everything short of replacing the entire tank, no matter what, I could not get the tank to accept over a half gallon of gas without shutting the pump off. So, at this stage in the ownership I was left with a decision, pour more money into the Patriot to fix the car I love, or trade it and get a vehicle that I can grow to love.

It was not an easy decision, deciding to trade the Patriot. I decided to do so because of the financial sense it made to me. My Patriot was paid for and the trade in value was around 8 grand according to the dealer since because of the recall it would be sent straight to a wholesale auction rather being sold by the dealer. At first I thought that was a ridiculously low offer, especially after everything I had done to my Patriot. I got to thinking though bout long term. Yes, before I go on, I will clearly state that some members on here have had their CVT transmission last upwards of 200k+ miles. However, some members have not been as lucky. Again, some members have had no problems with their CV boots/axles, while other have not been as lucky. Some members who are stock have had problems with these, while some members who are lifted have not had problems with these, and vice versa. That being said, given that my Patriot was lifted with bigger tires, I figured that I was at higher than average risk to have issues with these components and more. That's when I started doing the math. Around 1K for a new gas tank and install, around 6k for a new transmission, and around 2k for new CV boots/drive axels. That's a total of 9k in repairs. Obviously, that is looking at things from a worst case perspective, but, it's not a risk I was willing to assume. I very well could have fixed the tank and drove the Patriot for 100K more miles and had none of those problems, or I could have been driving it to work next week and the transmission explode. So, given these risks, and the fact that any of these potential repairs would occur out of warranty and out of my pocket, it occurred to me that it made more financial sense for me to take the equity I still had in the Jeep and roll it into a new vehicle that I could be sure would be reliable, or, at least would be covered under a manufacture warranty with any repairs at no cost to me bumper to bumper for the next three years 36k miles and powertrain for the lifetime of the vehicle.

So, final opinions on the Patriot you ask? I loved it as a vehicle. It was a great, fun vehicle. For the money you cannot hardly beat it. I am also very sure that it will be a great deal when it goes to auction and it will make a very great deal of a car for someone wanting a sweet Jeep. I didn't get rid of the Patriot out of hate or anger, I got rid of it out of logical reasoning and rationality. It actually makes me sad to hear that the Patriot is no longer going to be made by FCA. Yes, it was far from a perfect car, hence why I got rid of it, but I do not regret buying the Patriot or any of the amazing mods I did to it.

If you've made it this far, wow. Now would be a good time to tell what vehicle I traded the Patriot for I guess! Drumroll please?? I traded by Patriot for a 2017 EcoBoost Premium Mustang with the Performance Package. I love it so far! It is so much quicker than the Patriot! lol. I did miss my Patriot when we got snow this past weekend, but I am so looking forward to making new memories in my Mustang. If anyone is interested in pics of it I can post some.

Now onto the question, will I stay active on the forums? Well, you can't exactly say I have been active these last few months, even while I have still owned the Patriot. So, don't expect me to be on here every day, but I will try and check back from time to time and help how I can.

Concluding this post, I'd like to thank all of the members of this forum that helped me make my Patriot the vehicle it was. Without this forum I would not have been able to make it the Jeep I did. Many, many members helped me along the way, but I would like to thank two in particular. Creation and AroundInCirlces , you guys were amazing. Bradley, when it came to the inside of my Jeep mods with the stereo, you were my go-to person and your willingness to answer all my countless (and probably annoying questions) was truly great. Karl, your Jeep was my inspiration for lifting my Patriot. I saw you lifted Jeep and everything you did with it and it truly inspired me, thanks for always being willing to answer my countless off-road modding oriented questions. Again, there are many others that I am sure I could thank as well, but I wanted to give an honorable mention to those two members. Also, Rosso and 480, you guys were great to me as well.

Thanks you guys, keep making this the best vehicle forum out there.

This concludes my post. This is the end of the Jeep.

Street Yuppie That Ain't Afraid To Kick It Into 4 Wheel

MODS: Black Billet 14" Antenna, Plasti-Dipped Emblems, Tinted Windows, Red LED Dome Lights, Draw Tite Class III/IV Receiver Hitch, Rugged Ridge Floor Mats, Alpine/JL Audio Build (Pushing 1500W RMS to 11 speakers running off of 2 batteries)

Keeping it a REAL JEEP since 11/9/15: Pro Comp 7032 16x8 Wheels, 225/75R16 Goodyear Wrangler Duratracs, RRO 2 1/8" lift kit.

Last edited by The4WDPatriot; 01-08-2017 at 09:46 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 16 (permalink) Old 01-08-2017, 10:33 PM

Garage
Sorry to see you go, but all good things must end. I've made similar decisions along the way when I knew my vehicle and was expecting repairs. As a sales rep on the road I learned when it was time to let one go. At one time I had a Bravada with 70,000 miles on it and a Pontiac with 185,000 miles on it and I sold the Bravada because I'd already had too many repairs and sensed there were more coming. The Pontiac went another 65,000 and all things considered I came out about $8,000 ahead -- that ain't chicken feed!

In my case my Patriot has the lifetime warranty. When the CVT failed all it meant was that I got a loaner Chrysler for a week. I do my scheduled maintenance, usually at my dealer, and God forbid I have another problem I expect it will be taken care of. As for the little repairs, I'm overdue for a pile of stuff, but so far so good.

Good luck with your Mustang. And sure, post some photos. I hope its good to you.
post #3 of 16 (permalink) Old 01-08-2017, 10:35 PM

Garage
P.S., that was quite an essay you wrote. Were you an English major in college?
MotorCityVA likes this.

post #4 of 16 (permalink) Old 01-08-2017, 11:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ignatz View Post
It does my heart good to see that there are still young people out there with command of the English language, know how and care to spell correctly, how to construct a sentence and aren't so lazy that they have to use "text talk" for a short cut.
MotorCityVA likes this.

post #5 of 16 (permalink) Old 01-09-2017, 02:03 PM
Unsponsored Baja racer

Garage
Haha, I did notice a couple typos, but nothing too major. Honestly, bro, as much as I hate to see anybody lose a Jeep, or get taken in by Ford, the Mustang will probably work out better for you. Between your love of harmonic disturbances some call "music", and lack of off-roading likelihood, an on-road vehicle is probably going to be a good idea in your case.

Trekkie, trucker, Jeeper, potential racer. Don't touch my trumpets.
"For God so loved the world that He sent His only begotten Son, that all who believe in him might not perish but have eternal life" -John 3:16
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KOb8IEyCO1o
post #6 of 16 (permalink) Old 01-10-2017, 11:46 AM

Small nitpick but more paragraphs would help break up the wall of text.

I agree with the risk assessment so enjoy your new Mustang, they are great driving cars. Just take it easy when leaving a cars and coffee meet, that is it's one weakness...
RossoRacer likes this.

FDII LTD.
post #7 of 16 (permalink) Old 01-10-2017, 01:04 PM

Those mustangs are nice... Good luck and enjoy!

I'm sad I sold my patriot as well, lots of fun memories, but I was making payments on it, and it just didn't fit with our needs anymore. its been a couple of years, but I've been on the forum, here and there. it helps that I still have a jeep.

2012 FDII Patriot - Sold
1989 Cherokee Pioneer - 3.5" MC lift
http://aicproductionblog.com/support-this-page/
http://www.youtube.com/c/aicoffroadvideo
post #8 of 16 (permalink) Old 01-12-2017, 10:26 PM Thread Starter

Haha, I appreciate the constructive criticism on the grammar you guys.

But yes, it was just time to turn the page vehicle wise.

For what it's worth, here's a pic of my new ride.
MotorCityVA likes this.

Street Yuppie That Ain't Afraid To Kick It Into 4 Wheel

MODS: Black Billet 14" Antenna, Plasti-Dipped Emblems, Tinted Windows, Red LED Dome Lights, Draw Tite Class III/IV Receiver Hitch, Rugged Ridge Floor Mats, Alpine/JL Audio Build (Pushing 1500W RMS to 11 speakers running off of 2 batteries)

Keeping it a REAL JEEP since 11/9/15: Pro Comp 7032 16x8 Wheels, 225/75R16 Goodyear Wrangler Duratracs, RRO 2 1/8" lift kit.
post #9 of 16 (permalink) Old 01-12-2017, 10:41 PM
Unsponsored Baja racer

Garage
Umm, if ya don't mind a leetle bit of constructive criticism on the car(aside from it being a Ford, haha).......add some color. Chrome, vinyl accents, something, ANYTHING to make it stand out. Blacked out is nice, but sooo popular it gets kinda, well, droneish among car mods.

Trekkie, trucker, Jeeper, potential racer. Don't touch my trumpets.
"For God so loved the world that He sent His only begotten Son, that all who believe in him might not perish but have eternal life" -John 3:16
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KOb8IEyCO1o
post #10 of 16 (permalink) Old 01-13-2017, 12:20 AM

That was your choice. Mustang is no doubt flashier, its all about what you want, and you got what you wanted.

If youre really rich you have more options. Good to hear of nothing but good things to say about your patriot and yours didnt have any issues. I could be wrong, tend to think a Patriot is more for people that like to save money, get the best bang for their money. Thats why i bought it, I targeted the best bang for my dollars suv, good gas economy, good look, and the plus that it is capable off road is a bonus to me. That said if I won one million dollars tax free, I would absolutely drive my patriot a couple more years at least. I keep things simple in regards to money, vehicles, and maybe life in general

I've had mine coming up on two years this February and its been great, besides couple minor and very minor issues. I have some nice memories of me and my ex girlfriend riding in it, taking a roadtrip , holding hands in it. sorry guys I miss her, and sad it didn't work. I look forward to other great memories

2012 2.0 patriot sport fwd

subscribe to my youtube channelhttp://www.youtube.com/channel/UC7udYNC4RSp268vBfCU2jSQ

like my page, facebook https://www.facebook.com/pages/John-Smeton-Fitness/575323199169735?ref=hl

follow my twitter https://twitter.com/SmetonFitness

If I can do anything for you, contact me!

Last edited by John Smeton; 01-13-2017 at 12:23 AM.
post #11 of 16 (permalink) Old 01-13-2017, 11:57 AM

Going from a jeep to a mustang is so different. Hope it works out for you. 4wd is needed in my situation. As far as the repairs, did you actually have to replace your cvt? I think I might have to replace the struts in my jeep but I guess that usually happens for a vehicle approaching 70k miles. I have been refusing to mod my jeep much because of reliability also. Only mods I would consider are cosmetic such as a new antenna. I know that you have your new mustang, but did you think about the new compass coming out or the renegade?

Mods: 225/65/17 Geolandar A/T, K&N Cold air intake
post #12 of 16 (permalink) Old 01-13-2017, 02:29 PM

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by John Smeton View Post
I have some nice memories of me and my ex girlfriend riding in it, taking a roadtrip , holding hands in it. sorry guys I miss her, and sad it didn't work. I look forward to other great memories
You'll find another, my friend. It was a big step for me to admit I'd rather be single than married to my xgf. I met Wifey so quick after I had to be careful that I wasn't doing the rebound thing. We took it slow for a couple years, then tied the knot.
John Smeton likes this.
post #13 of 16 (permalink) Old 01-13-2017, 02:31 PM

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by RossoRacer View Post
Umm, if ya don't mind a leetle bit of constructive criticism on the car(aside from it being a Ford, haha).......add some color. Chrome, vinyl accents, something, ANYTHING to make it stand out. Blacked out is nice, but sooo popular it gets kinda, well, droneish among car mods.
I like your new ride, but I agree with RR -- it needs some color. Maybe paint the hood red, put a number on the door, or something. I know, probably too new to mess with yet. Maybe come spring time.
RossoRacer likes this.
post #14 of 16 (permalink) Old 01-13-2017, 02:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ignatz View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by griff View Post
It does my heart good to see that there are still young people out there with command of the English language, know how and care to spell correctly, how to construct a sentence and aren't so lazy that they have to use "text talk" for a short cut.
I agree. When I left another forum a few years ago, I did it with two words. One was 'off'.
post #15 of 16 (permalink) Old 01-13-2017, 03:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by The4WDPatriot View Post
Haha, I appreciate the constructive criticism on the grammar you guys.

But yes, it was just time to turn the page vehicle wise.

For what it's worth, here's a pic of my new ride.
...so if you go seven miles over the speed limit with that car the patrol will pull you over? I always thought the law can spot a sports vehicle better than a econobox. Case in point, I was going 80 mph on CA 17 with my Yugo GV and I pull onto Hamilton Ave. and a CHP pulls next to me, looks at me and the vehicle with a puzzled look, then drives away lol. Just sayin'.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jeep Patriot Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode