Jeep Patriot Forums banner

225 miles on 1 tank of gas!!

8K views 15 replies 13 participants last post by  Ignatz 
#1 ·
So I know this has been asked ALOT, but I need some new info. I just bought my patriot about 3 months ago with 19K miles on it. I would say I do about 50/50 city/highway driving and I am only getting about 225 miles to a tank before my fuel light comes on (my fuel light literally comes on at 225 miles like clockwork), this seems really off. Does anybody have similar results, also I don't drive very aggressive, the occasional speed up to pass somebody but that's about it. I keep it right at about 65-70 mph on highway and about 5 miles over the speed limit in the city. The only mods I have is a Curt Roof Rack with extension (it does have the wind shield) and Yoko Geolander's 225/70r16 on Unique 297s. I know that will affect the gas mileage but I did not think by this much. Any thoughts? I still have the factory warranty and a lifetime powertrain as well.

Attachments

See less See more
#2 ·
I'm guessing you're getting about 22.5MPG. That seems a little low, but not terrible. You didn't mention what engine or tranny you have or which 4wd system. The larger engine will use more fuel, as will any automatic (even my beloved CVT), and some 4wd systems have lower ratios than others -- great for power but not for fuel economy.

I have the 2.4 FWD CVT and run a little shy of 30MPG overall. Maybe a hair over on a long easy trip at 55 (not 65+) and closer to 26MPG in mixed.
Wifey has the 2.0 FWD 5-spd and runs consistently 30+ and into the low 30s on a long trip.
Neither of us do much "real" city driving. We travel ultra-early before traffic and get home before the evening rush hour.

For comparison I had a Olds Bravada 4.0 AWD automatic that ran about 20MPG. Might approach 22 on an easy highway trip.
Our Wrangler 3.8 6-spd gets about 22 on a long trip in 2wd mode at <60mph. I don't bother checking in 4wd because 4wd only gets used in snow, but I'm sure its deep into the teens mpg.

If I were you I wouldn't panic, but you might see a couple MPG better if you kept to the speed limits and a little under on the turnpikes.
I tend to keep my speed down this time of year just to preserve my snow tires -- saves gas, too.

#4 ·
That's low, my FWD 2.0 gets well over 30MPG on the freeway, makes road trips lovely :)

#13 ·
I am one of those old guys who gets about 17 mpg in mine on a good day--LOL. If the light turns green and I am first up, I am usually at the next light before the other lane gets through that light--don't break the speed limit--just get there quickly. But I do love my Patriot--nice driving machine and gets around in traffic just fine. It rides nice on the Interstate at 70 mph too.

Reactions: RossoRacer
#7 ·
yeah it depends what you have . Ive got a fwd 2.0 and never counted but it seems like great gas milage.

When Im traveling on highway say speed limit is 65 , ive got the time, etc ill put mine on cruise control and go 62 or so and it does help, with a few miles every gallon

Reactions: Ignatz
#8 ·
My 07 is front wheel drive,2.4,CVT. I run 70-75 MPH on long trips and get 28-29 with no headwind. If there is a
slight headwind my MPG drops to 24-25. I think this is great MPG with a square front end on the Patriot that sits
high on the ground compared to a car. The best I ever got was 31 MPG with a tail wind pushing me along.

#10 ·
In my 2010 FD1 CVT, 27mpg on flat highways with no load is normal. Add a load, or the Appelachian Mountains, and it goes down to 22-23. I've even averaged 29mpg a few times. But, I also don't have a roof rack, and am still running road-friendly tires.

#12 ·
I feel your pain, I currently get anywhere between 230 and 250 miles per tank. It's a 60/40 mix in City and highway driving.

That being said I also am running a 245/70r16 tire on super heavy 16" cragar steel wheels. Then add the 2.4l 4x4 plus the roof mounted LED bar, I have A LOT working against me in terms of MPG, I average 17-18 MPG now with my current setup. Haha, I know JKUs that get better MPG.

#14 ·
About 2500 miles on my Patriot, last fillup was 28.5 mpg. Stock everything and mostly highway with a little city driving thrown in on that mileage check. Like you, I found tires can make a big difference in gas mileage. I replaced the tires on my Ranger with slightly more aggressive tires and average mileage dropped from ~19 to ~16. If you wanna play, you're going to pay!

#16 ·
A couple more thoughts . . .

First, remember the Patriot has a tiny fuel tank. I presume you're not going to bone dry when you say you're getting 225 out of a tank. If you refill at 1/4 tank You may only be using 7 or 8 gallons. Figuring 225 miles on 8 gallons = 28mpg that isn't too bad. Even if you used 9 gallons you're at 25mpg, so you're not in such bad shape. Do the math. Considering you're in AWD with FD one-or-other, plus the larger engine and a slush-box (automatic tranny). After further review, I think you're doing quite well.

Second, you're driving a 2016, so you're probably still breaking in. Fuel economy on a new engine should gradually improve to around 10,000 miles.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.