2014 patriot throttle body going bad? - Jeep Patriot Forums
Jeep Patriot General Discussion General discussion for the Jeep Patriot

1Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 24 (permalink) Old 11-01-2016, 09:16 AM Thread Starter

2014 patriot throttle body going bad?

Hey guys, Just joined the forum. I have been lurking for a while looking for the answer to my question and I think I have it but I want to confirm. My wife has a 2014 Jeep Patriot Latitude 4x4 with the 2.4L I4 (non CVT). It has around 75k on it now so all thatís left is the powertrain warranty. It has been having some issues. When holding a steady throttle or accelerating up hill or on flat ground it sometimes shudders like you let off of the gas pedal and then got back on it, sometimes this is accompanied by the ETC light (lightning bolt with lines on each side of it) flashing for a few seconds and then going away. Sometimes it doesnít flash or light up at all. The computer has not thrown any codes at all since this began about 6 months ago. It is slowly getting worse to the point that it does it about 4-5 times per 100 miles with the ETC light flashing more often than not. So my question is this. Could it possibly be something else other than the throttle body has gone bad and needs to be replaced or is this most likely the issue? For anyone that has had this happen was it covered by the powertrain warranty? I am pretty handy with a wrench and do most of my own work on my truck (2012 LML Duramax) so I would be grabbing the parts at the store and doing this myself.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 24 (permalink) Old 11-01-2016, 09:44 AM

Have you tried new plugs? Strange as it may seem, plugs solve a lot of these mystery shuddering/hesitating problems.

Just a thought, these plugs are supposed to be changed every 30k miles.

post #3 of 24 (permalink) Old 11-01-2016, 10:51 AM Thread Starter

I will grab a set of the oem plugs today and give it a shot tonight. For $10 cant really hurt anything and probably need to be changed anyways. Anything else it could be other than plugs or the throttle body?

post #4 of 24 (permalink) Old 11-01-2016, 03:52 PM

I had a very similar issue with my Firebird. It ended up being loose spark plug wires. I agree with griff, definitely check out the spark plugs and that the wires are getting good connection.
post #5 of 24 (permalink) Old 11-01-2016, 07:16 PM

Dodgy plugs or coils would most likely give a CEL and misfire codes, not an ETC.

Have the throttle body cleaned first. the throttle blade may be sticking on carbon build-up. I've done this twice after the ETC light comes on and it cures it. If it doesn't there's a good chance it's either the throttle body motor failing or an issue with the drive-by-wire pedal assembly.

FDII LTD.
post #6 of 24 (permalink) Old 11-01-2016, 08:48 PM

Patriot throttle bodies have been known to go bad and your symptoms sure seem similar to those discussed on the internet. Member Silverflash here had one replaced as did I (under warranty). I do not think the powertrain warranty covers this, but check with your dealer. IF you decide to let a dealer repair it, hit them hard with facts learned about this problem on the net and see if they will do a good will repair at reduced cost. A Google search finds two possible problems. There are internal gears that can shear under certain conditions and some have found excess oil in the TB (maybe bad PCV?).

OEM replacements can be had on the net for about $220 delivered. There are numerous You tube videos that show easy replacement from the top side. Search both Patriot and Caliber Throttle Body Replacement at You Tube and Google.

Good luck and keep us posted. I think dealers want $600+ for this service.

Regarding an ETC Relearn procedure, there are diy methods discussed on the net, but there is also controversy about whether this really works or is just a myth.
Nocturnx likes this.

2014 Sport, 2wd, 2.4L, 6 speed tranny, Winter Chill

Last edited by Treegrower; 11-02-2016 at 09:16 PM.
post #7 of 24 (permalink) Old 11-02-2016, 09:31 AM

My dodgy spark plug coils did not through a CEL. It would just randomly cut out and start going again without tripping the CEL. There were misfire codes but you wouldn't know without hooking up a code reader.

Last edited by Nocturnx; 11-02-2016 at 10:44 AM.
post #8 of 24 (permalink) Old 11-04-2016, 11:47 AM Thread Starter

Thanks for the input guys. I went ahead and picked up a set of plugs and the dorman throttle body online for $139.99 shipped. Supposed to be sitting on my front porch when I get home today, not a minute too soon apparently. The wife called me this morning on her way to work and said that the acc pedal stopped working and she got the ETC,4WD, and traction control lights simultaneously. She pulled over and shut it off and let it sit for a minute and all was well. Seems to act up on her worse in the mornings than afternoon. I plan to tear into it tomorrow morning to change the plugs and throttle body as well as check for any loose connections. I am going to crack open the old throttle body and inspect for damage to the gears. I will try to post my findings as well as if it fixes it or not.
post #9 of 24 (permalink) Old 11-05-2016, 02:45 PM Thread Starter

Got the throttle body and plugs changed this morning took about an hour and a half start to finish. Pretty easy job. Hardest part was the damn wire that's fastened to a tab on the bottom of the intake tube near the throttle body. Went for a 30 mile drive and it runs smoother and not one hiccup so all seems fixed. I'll know for sure the next time the wife drives to work early (where she complains that it acts up the worst)
post #10 of 24 (permalink) Old 11-09-2016, 09:55 PM Thread Starter

Wife just called and it did it again. Flashing lightning bolt and the throttle stopped responding. What do I replace next?
post #11 of 24 (permalink) Old 11-10-2016, 09:04 PM Thread Starter

Now throwing u0401, p2173, and c121c. Also noticed the acc pedal position sits at 18% when your foot is off of the gas and 90.5% when it's in the floor. I guess a new accelerator pedal assembly/sensor is next.
post #12 of 24 (permalink) Old 11-11-2016, 06:46 PM

The factory service manual says that after a TB replacement, you have to do a TB relearn procedure with a scan tool, but for the life of me I cannot find that relearn procedure in the manual.

There are numerous diy relearn procedures on the interweb (check the Caliber forums), but I found one forum argument that claimed the diy relearn procedure was a myth and did not actually work.

I will chime back in when I find the links to these discussions.......

Link to diy procedure: http://www.caliberforumz.com/showthr...or-Light/page2

Link to discussion of TB relearn "myth": http://www.300cforums.com/forums/per...ifference.html

2014 Sport, 2wd, 2.4L, 6 speed tranny, Winter Chill

Last edited by Treegrower; 11-11-2016 at 10:22 PM.
post #13 of 24 (permalink) Old 11-21-2016, 06:20 PM Thread Starter

Have so far replaced spark plugs, throttle body, and accelerator pedal and it is still acting up. I am getting desperate for ideas.
post #14 of 24 (permalink) Old 11-22-2016, 09:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by smokinu454 View Post
Now throwing u0401, p2173, and c121c. Also noticed the acc pedal position sits at 18% when your foot is off of the gas and 90.5% when it's in the floor. I guess a new accelerator pedal assembly/sensor is next.
U0401-IMPLAUSIBLE DATA RECEIVED FROM ECM/PCM

P2173-HIGH AIRFLOW/VACUUM LEAK DETECTED (SLOW ACCUMULATION)

C121C-TORQUE REQUEST SIGNAL DENIED

Instead of throwing parts at it, look into what these codes are for...

2016 Compass Sport True Blue Pearlcoat 2.4L 6-speed. Additions since brand new in September of 2016: 4X Alpine SPJ-691C3, Weathertech floor liner Front only, Scosche Magi-Mount, USB charging port added to glove box and rear passenger area, Hum, Curt 13081 class III receiver. More to come!!
post #15 of 24 (permalink) Old 11-23-2016, 02:53 PM Thread Starter

I cleared the codes after replacing the pedal. After it acted up the next time the only code present was p2173. Found the service bulletin 18-019-08. Described exactly what was happening including the p2173. Solution was to reflash the pcm. Had the dealership do it this morning. Hoping for the best. I will report back on if it's is stil acting up.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jeep Patriot Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode