How many miles does the average Patriot last? - Jeep Patriot Forums
Jeep Patriot General Discussion General discussion for the Jeep Patriot

8Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 27 (permalink) Old 08-14-2016, 03:19 PM Thread Starter

How many miles does the average Patriot last?

I wanna buy a 2011 Patriot with 65000 miles on it. I would like to know if I can get an additional 100000 miles out of it for a total of 165000 miles. Is this number too high of an expectation? Also, I have no clue how the vehicle was cared for for the first 65000 miles, but if I did buy it, I would regularly maintain it.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 27 (permalink) Old 08-14-2016, 04:35 PM

I know that there are Members on this forum who have 200,000 miles on their Patriots. You'll have to wait for their response though. I don't have that many miles on my Patriot.

Yes, the economy has gotten better....
post #3 of 27 (permalink) Old 08-14-2016, 04:45 PM

Is it two-wheel drive or four-wheel drive ? Automatic or stick shift ?

post #4 of 27 (permalink) Old 08-14-2016, 04:48 PM

I see a lot of Patriots for sale across the country with 150l+ miles, so I'd say barring anything unusual you should get at least 100K more miles from that onw.

post #5 of 27 (permalink) Old 08-14-2016, 05:05 PM

One Member on this forum rossoracer has used and abused his Patriot off-road and has had O problems with his.
RossoRacer likes this.

post #6 of 27 (permalink) Old 08-14-2016, 06:22 PM
Unsponsored Baja racer

Garage
Yes, I've got 95,000 miles on mine, with only damage that's to be expected from what I've done. A couple years ago, the top of a sand dune broke my approach angle. I knew my AC was already shot beforehand and that the condenser had been bashed in on that dune, so I wouldn't have AC until that was fixed(not that I tend to use it anyway...that's what the window crank is for). What I didn't know, due to apparently normal engine temps, was that the radiator and fan assembly were also damaged. A friend of mine is replacing it this week. That was due to my being a bit too adventurous at the sand dunes, not a fault of Patriot design.

Under regular driving, the only thing that I've really had trouble with is the brakes and tires wearing down, but that happens no matter what you buy. Suspension is a weak point on Patriots, but in my case it could be due as much to off-road use as it is to weak Chrysler parts. If the suspension gives you any issues, you can find a replacement for any bad parts from Moog company(best suspension parts many of us know).

Ignatz, on the other hand, has a 2008 that(as I understand) lasted 110,000 miles before the original CVT needed replaced under warranty(not sure how often he changed fluid), and so far has what, another 110,000 on the replacement? Only one or two other issues that he's mentioned, I think.

Sometime last year I happened on a craigslist ad for a 2007 with 300,000 miles on it, down in Florida. Within the last week or so, somebody posted a thread showing a 2008 with, what was it, 368,000?

Basically, if a Patriot has been taken care of, it'll likely take care of you. I think only 5% or so of folks here have reported only problems. Every vehicle model gets a bad batch now and then. Keep up on engine oil changes, tire rotations, trans fluid(CVT works best if you change fluid every 60,000 miles or a little sooner), and all the rest, and it should last you a looong time.

Trekkie, trucker, Jeeper, potential racer. Don't touch my trumpets.
"For God so loved the world that He sent His only begotten Son, that all who believe in him might not perish but have eternal life" -John 3:16
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KOb8IEyCO1o
post #7 of 27 (permalink) Old 08-14-2016, 06:35 PM

How long a used car last is 95% how the previous owner treated it.

as stated, plenty of people on the site with 150k+ miles and several with 200,000+.

IF maintained the engine is very reliable, the only actual engine problems I've seen in the last ~4 years on this forum has been self inflicted (hydro locked after going through too deep of a lake).

the CVT transmissions are fluid sensitive, so making sure fluid changes are done on time is important, but at 65K miles, if you buy from a dealer have them change it as part of the deal, if buying used, just go ahead and get it replaced, as that's the start of the first interval (first interval is 65-100k miles depending on driving) so you probably won't have to worry about it for the rest of your ownership of the vehicle.

Look to see if other services have been done with records, oil changes, spark plugs, even tire rotations etc. See if it had any warranty work done. having warranty work done is NOT a bad thing unless they had to try to repair the same issue multiple times, but it means somebody paid attention to their car and had its issues addressed if any.

if you are able to get a car with good service history, then you probably have a winner on your hands. if you get one that is a bit iffy you're taking a risk and its worth making sure you have a small fund to get anything repaired that might need it. actually having a car repair fund you put a little bit of money into each pay check isn't a bad idea for any and all cars.

2012 FDII Patriot - Sold
1989 Cherokee Pioneer - 3.5" MC lift
http://aicproductionblog.com/support-this-page/
http://www.youtube.com/c/aicoffroadvideo
post #8 of 27 (permalink) Old 08-14-2016, 06:50 PM

I'd look at the CarFax on the car to see if there's any records of maintenance (oil changes mainly). If the Patriot was taken to a Jeep/Dodge dealership or most other new car dealerships, the maintenance may have been noted on the record for it. It may say "vehicle serviced", "oil changed", etc..

Is this Patriot from a dealership or privately owned? I'd be leery if the owner can't provide proof of maintenance. I mean how hard is it to slam an oil change receipt into the glovebox after the service writer hands you the receipt? You have the receipt in your hand, and then you're getting INSIDE the vehicle. I always assume if the owner doesn't have the records, that the services were not performed on time if at all. I've known of people who bought new cars and NEVER changed the oil. They just started adding oil when the engine wears out to the point where it's burning oil.

Unless the price is super low, I'd pass and move on to one with full maintenance records. All it takes is a few missed oil changes to effectively lower the car's future longevity.

How much are they asking? Because you can get a great deal on a leftover 2016 brand new one (with full warranty). Back when I bought mine 2 years ago there were brand new leftover ones for $13,500 (with automatic tranny, AC, cruise, AM/FM/CD/ipod hookup). It was a FWD though and not 4x4. 4x4's were $17k. They had almost every color in stock, too. I live in the frigid north, so I bought the 4x4 but if you don't live in a snowy area, the FWD will be fine. And if you do end up getting a new one, I'd probably avoid the CVT transmission and get the regular 6 speed one). Though we have lots of members on here that love their CVT's.

I love my Patriot. It's super useful -- a nice practical box. I helped a friend move last weekend. We got everything in it in 2 trips.

Last edited by jd_1138; 08-14-2016 at 06:56 PM.
post #9 of 27 (permalink) Old 08-14-2016, 08:21 PM

That's true, around here, new ones have 6-8000 dollars of discounts, and 2wd models are as low as $13,000, brand new with warranty, 4x4's with most of the options you would want are under $20k, unless you're paying cash, you're getting a smoking deal on a new car, that won't lose much value, at least around here, they don't lose much.

2012 FDII Patriot - Sold
post #10 of 27 (permalink) Old 08-14-2016, 10:30 PM

Garage
Buying anything used is always a crap-shoot. The brand doesn't matter. You are a the mercy of how the previous owner treated it.

I bought mine new and I'm just over 220,000 miles now. I thoroughly love it. If you're willing to cope with little stuff (things will go wrong), most modern vehicles are good for 250,000 before major problems crop up.

Issues I've had:
1) My first transmission was replaced under warranty. I now have more miles on the replacement than on the original with no problems. I just had the routine transmission maintenance done recently. Yours isn't even due for its first tranny service (100,000 miles), so you can probably lay that issue to rest.
2) At around 190,000 miles I had a wiring problem that tormented me and my dealer for a month or so. Finally the problem was found and I had the engine harness replaced.

Since then its been like a new vehicle. Amazingly no rattles or squeaks until just recently and still quite minor. For comparison I rode in a friend's Audi last week and his sounds like a bucket of bolts. He's 50,000 miles behind me.

I'm in the habit of getting fairly good longevity out of my vehicles. I got 250,000 out of my 2001 Pontiac. At that point both the transmission and the ECM (car's computer) were dying so I donated it to the Good News Garage. They fixed it up and its still on the road.

BEWARE: With any used vehicle (regardless of brand--Cadillacs or Chevies, Hondas or Jeeps) the last owner got rid of it for a reason. Don't be surprised if a month or so into your new vehicle something goes wrong. Then you will know why the last guy traded it. That's why it only costs half what a new one costs. AIC makes a good suggestion--keep a little money aside for that first repair. jd_1138 also has a point: explore the possibility of a new Patriot -- they're running some pretty good deals right now -- maybe look at a 2016 leftover.

The most common reason young cars find there way onto a used car lot is because of an accident but don't let that spook you. Even an accident vehicle may survive for a long time. My above-mentioned Pontiac got broadsided only a few months after I bought it, but I got a good repair job and it lasted for 10 more years and 200,000+ miles. If you've got a mechanic you trust, take the vehicle there before you buy it and get a professional opinion.

Final note--if you've got a good dealer you can trust, they can help you get the miles out of it. The oil changes might cost a little more there than at the express-lube places, but if you're a familiar face in their door, they'll probably take care of you if/when problems happen.

Last edited by Ignatz; 08-14-2016 at 10:33 PM.
post #11 of 27 (permalink) Old 08-15-2016, 07:31 AM

This is a great thread because I picked up my 11' Riot last November with 62,000 on the OD and now I have 89,000 because I drive 100 miles a day round trip to work. And I have been getting nervous about breaking 100,00 and the reliability after
post #12 of 27 (permalink) Old 08-15-2016, 09:48 AM

On the other hand, buying used will save you many dollars over your lifetime. I've always bought used. (Patriot was totaled before I bought it, so you can see IO'm not that worried about a used car). I've never bought from a used car dealer either, always from an individual. Those are the ones Ignatz is talking about, many are traded in due to a problem.

People don't always get rid of a car because they're having problems with it, there are many reasons someone might want a different or newer car.
Some people understand how you lose money every time you trade in a vehicle to the dealer so they sell it themselves. Others trade in all their lives and are content to pay to do it the easier way.
If you are mechanically inclined, or have someone who is to drive the car and check it over, you can find very good used vehicles at very good prices.
Don't let the fact that it's used scare you.
Good Luck!
edelbd6c likes this.

post #13 of 27 (permalink) Old 08-15-2016, 10:17 AM

I don't know what OP is looking for, but around here, you can get, admittedly almost base models, patriots starting in the low $13,000 NEW:

New 2016 Jeep Patriot in Gilbert | New Jeep SUV -

Now, you might be able to find one with a few miles on the clock and a few more options for... about the same price used.

2012 FDII Patriot - Sold
post #14 of 27 (permalink) Old 08-15-2016, 03:35 PM
Unsponsored Baja racer

Garage
Based on Kelley Blue Book website, my basic of the basic(very Jeepy) 2010, in the shape it's in, with the 95,000 miles, sold "private party" style, should fetch $8100-$8400. Down quite a bit since I last checked, but that was probably 4 years ago, haha. No worries, I don't plan on selling it anyways.

Trekkie, trucker, Jeeper, potential racer. Don't touch my trumpets.
"For God so loved the world that He sent His only begotten Son, that all who believe in him might not perish but have eternal life" -John 3:16
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KOb8IEyCO1o
post #15 of 27 (permalink) Old 08-15-2016, 09:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by aroundincircles View Post
I don't know what OP is looking for, but around here, you can get, admittedly almost base models, patriots starting in the low $13,000 NEW:

New 2016 Jeep Patriot in Gilbert | New Jeep SUV -

Now, you might be able to find one with a few miles on the clock and a few more options for... about the same price used.
X2, I picked up my 2015 last Sept. for $7,500 below sticker, a 4X4 Latitude with a sticker of $26k, I paid $18.5k. They had a used 2014 with 10k mi on the lot at the time they were asking roughly the same price for (sure I could have probably talked them down some, but once the difference in finance rates on used vs. new was factored it would likely still have been a wash, and the 2014 may have actually cost more factoring I n interest), so it really didn't make sense to buy used. Especially at the end of the model year (and especially on the Patriot as it is soon to be discontinued) you can often wind new ones for not much more than a 1-3 year old used one.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jeep Patriot Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode