2016 Jeep Patriot Towing Package - Jeep Patriot Forums
Jeep Patriot General Discussion General discussion for the Jeep Patriot

1Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 19 (permalink) Old 06-20-2016, 11:24 AM Thread Starter

Exclamation 2016 Jeep Patriot Towing Package

Looking to maybe buy a 2016 Jeep Patriot 4x4 2.4L 6 speed High Altitude this week (lease). The problem is, they have none with hitches on them. What comes with the tow prep group? I would have to order one to be able to get that package from the factory. Is this something the dealer can add on? I want the hitch and wiring. It appears that there may be an oil cooler that needs to be added on? Or is that just included now? I've read several threads regarding towing, but I can't find a consensus as to what's already included on the latest patriot. On the online configuration, it just mentions adding a hitch on when you get the towing package. Love any ASAP info anyone can give. I've been a lurker for years, and hoping to finally join the family!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 19 (permalink) Old 06-20-2016, 11:29 AM Thread Starter

Just as an aside, I talk to the dealer tonight, hoping to do a deal this week before I leave for vacation this Friday.

Thanks!
post #3 of 19 (permalink) Old 06-20-2016, 11:53 AM

Send a message via AIM to Terasec Send a message via Yahoo to Terasec
not sure whats included in altitude package,
looks like comes as 1000 lb tow cap
if thats the case, then should make sure tow package includes higher amp alternator, and oil cooler, wiring harness
those might be dealer installed options and not factory tow package
as per the website factory tow option only mentions receiver hitch
Trailer Tow Prep Group by MoparŪ
Class II Receiver Hitch

post #4 of 19 (permalink) Old 06-20-2016, 12:00 PM

Not sure how much has changed since '08, but "tow-prep" package included, 1) full size spare, 2) wiring harness--not installed, 3) engine oil cooler--installed.

You will need a hitch receiver--most of us have a 2" receiver (MOPAR is the 1-1/2" and there's not nearly as many accessories for that size) Curt, Hidden Hitch are some of the brands out there. And there should be threads here that will give you even more info. The hitch mounts with only 4 bolts, some patriot models will require some trimming of the facia under the bumper. I installed the hitch by myself, it was a little difficult, so would suggest a helper to assist in holding in alignment while fitting the bolts.

Good Luck!

Jack Allwardt, Bonney Lake (Tehaleh area), WA; (REPEAT Patriot Owner...'08 Limited and a '16 High Altitude), Retired engineer, US Army veteran, Member: American Legion, Veterans of Foreign Wars, Central Valley Vietnam Veterans, Enumclaw (WA) Lions Club. Former vintage military jeep owner, instrument rated commercial pilot, ag pilot, vintage aircraft restorer and test pilot.
post #5 of 19 (permalink) Old 06-20-2016, 02:17 PM Thread Starter

Interesting, I didn't think about it being dealer only, though the bigger alternator seems a little ridiculous given you could run a trailer with LED lights, but even if it's the old style, you'd be talking about maybe 10A. Though it may be so the cooling fan can run a higher duty cycle. I installed the 1.5" on my 14 Ford Fiesta, for a bike rack and a small 5x8 flatbed trailer periodically. I'd be using this one the same way, but I want the 2K room just because I want it. I'll try to inquire tonight what the dealer feels, but I'm not expecting honest answers from them.
post #6 of 19 (permalink) Old 06-20-2016, 02:27 PM

Send a message via AIM to Terasec Send a message via Yahoo to Terasec
Quote:
Originally Posted by Casey Weaver View Post
Interesting, I didn't think about it being dealer only, though the bigger alternator seems a little ridiculous given you could run a trailer with LED lights, but even if it's the old style, you'd be talking about maybe 10A. Though it may be so the cooling fan can run a higher duty cycle. I installed the 1.5" on my 14 Ford Fiesta, for a bike rack and a small 5x8 flatbed trailer periodically. I'd be using this one the same way, but I want the 2K room just because I want it. I'll try to inquire tonight what the dealer feels, but I'm not expecting honest answers from them.
if your looking to buy i always recommend higher amp alt in any car,
its not just for lights,
alternator also powers engine electrical components,
if your looking to lease, may not be worth it short term
post #7 of 19 (permalink) Old 06-20-2016, 02:29 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Terasec View Post
if your looking to buy i always recommend higher amp alt in any car,
its not just for lights,
alternator also powers engine electrical components,
if your looking to lease, may not be worth it short term
I think I'm going to lease, but seeing as the residuals are pretty high, I may consider buying if the price is where it should be. I wouldn't mind running A/T tires and a couple of mods.
post #8 of 19 (permalink) Old 06-22-2016, 11:13 AM
bd1

A camping trailer can benefit from the higher-ampere alternator to help recharge the trailer's battery and also run a 12V ammonia-cycle fridge while you are driving. Thicker wiring is also useful.
post #9 of 19 (permalink) Old 06-24-2016, 08:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jack.allwardt View Post
Not sure how much has changed since '08, but "tow-prep" package included, 1) full size spare, 2) wiring harness--not installed, 3) engine oil cooler--installed.

You will need a hitch receiver--most of us have a 2" receiver (MOPAR is the 1-1/2" and there's not nearly as many accessories for that size) Curt, Hidden Hitch are some of the brands out there. And there should be threads here that will give you even more info. The hitch mounts with only 4 bolts, some patriot models will require some trimming of the facia under the bumper. I installed the hitch by myself, it was a little difficult, so would suggest a helper to assist in holding in alignment while fitting the bolts.

Good Luck!
Yes, it was that way for the '07 models as well. I too installed those myself.

When I bought my '15 Patriot, the tow-package was a dealer-installed option that consisted of the wiring harness (installed) and hitch receiver (installed). The engine oil-cooler was not part of it. The service dept looked at me like I was from Mars when I asked them if the cooler was part of it... as if it were the first time they had heard that request.

2015 Jeep Patriot, Silver, High Altitude, Auto
Previously: 2007 Jeep Patriot, Green, Limited, 4x4, CVT FDI
post #10 of 19 (permalink) Old 06-26-2016, 11:49 AM Thread Starter

Sorry for the long delay, been a busy week. I eneded up with a 2016 4x4 High Altitude patriot 2.4L 6 speed. No tow package, but I negotiated down on that so I'll get the hitch done at Uhaul and the wiring harness installed. Still not sure of the oil cooler, they saw where it would be part of it, but the dealer couldn't really identify what a 2016 2.4L 6 speed is supposed to get. If anyone has a part number, I'd appreciate it. I see CVT and manual, neither of which I'm equipped with . It's got every package on it! Drove 1,000 miles this week and I love this truck! It has to chug a bit in the hills of Tennessee, but I don't mind letting an engine/transmission combo work efficiently. Glad to finally be part of the Patriot family, I've wanted one for years.

BLKJ33P likes this.
post #11 of 19 (permalink) Old 10-03-2016, 05:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by heymrdj View Post
Sorry for the long delay, been a busy week. I eneded up with a 2016 4x4 High Altitude patriot 2.4L 6 speed. No tow package, but I negotiated down on that so I'll get the hitch done at Uhaul and the wiring harness installed. Still not sure of the oil cooler, they saw where it would be part of it, but the dealer couldn't really identify what a 2016 2.4L 6 speed is supposed to get. If anyone has a part number, I'd appreciate it. I see CVT and manual, neither of which I'm equipped with . It's got every package on it! Drove 1,000 miles this week and I love this truck! It has to chug a bit in the hills of Tennessee, but I don't mind letting an engine/transmission combo work efficiently. Glad to finally be part of the Patriot family, I've wanted one for years.

Hopefully you got your answer. You'd want the cooler spec'd for the manual transmission, MOPAR # 82210701.
post #12 of 19 (permalink) Old 10-06-2016, 09:33 AM

Anyone get a price on the cooler + installation?
post #13 of 19 (permalink) Old 10-13-2016, 07:50 PM Thread Starter

Thank you for the part number, it's still so confusing to see the one for the manual transmissions for a 6spd auto . The website says that number is for the manual and CVT without external cooler. So what is ever the user of the automatic model if that part number also goes to the 6spd auto? I have not asked the dealer yet, I'm at 4900 so I know it's about time for the first oil change. The oil part makes sense, but I imagine draining all the coolant is a very expensive part of the process.
post #14 of 19 (permalink) Old 05-08-2017, 02:20 PM

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by heymrdj View Post
....I'll get the hitch done at Uhaul and the wiring harness installed. ...

DON'T LET UHAUL TOUCH ANY WIRING ON YOUR JEEP!

They just use pinch connectors and they WILL corrode and WILL cause issues with your lights.

Find a decent shop and have it done right, crimp+solder+heat shrink.

Some good info here:

Trailer Wiring 101 - Equipment-Expert Information - HSO - Ice Fishing & Hunting
post #15 of 19 (permalink) Old 05-08-2017, 06:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Charles Kline View Post
DON'T LET UHAUL TOUCH ANY WIRING ON YOUR JEEP!

They just use pinch connectors and they WILL corrode and WILL cause issues with your lights.
X2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Charles Kline View Post
Find a decent shop and have it done right, crimp+solder+heat shrink.

Some good info here:

Trailer Wiring 101 - Equipment-Expert Information - HSO - Ice Fishing & Hunting
Personally I wouldn't (and didn't, used the oem harness on my Patriot) mess with the wiring at all there are too many "plug and play" options both the factory trailer harness (what I have in mine) and several aftermarket options that don't require cutting/splicing.

The factory harness is pricy ($120-150) at the dealer, but you can often find them for much less on eBay, etc. and most aftermarket harnesses are around $50, both the factory and aftermarket harnesses should take less than an hour to install with just basic tools (the only "special" tool would be a "plastic rivet" removal tool you can get at any auto parts store for around $10 that will make removing the tail lights and rear bumper cover much easier).

jeep patriot trailer harness oem | eBay

https://www.amazon.com/CURT-56162-Cu...railer+harness

https://www.amazon.com/Hopkins-42175...railer+harness

https://www.amazon.com/Reese-Towpowe...railer+harness

Last edited by dmill89; 05-09-2017 at 11:46 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Tags
hitch, oil cooler, towing, towing package

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jeep Patriot Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode