how Reliable Is Your patriot? - Jeep Patriot Forums
Jeep Patriot General Discussion General discussion for the Jeep Patriot

 2Likes
Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 27 (permalink) Old 06-02-2016, 07:26 AM Thread Starter
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2016
Posts: 27
 
how Reliable Is Your patriot?

Hi, I'm looking into getting a new vehicle soon. My first choice so far is a patriot, I'm starting to love them more and more. I still need to test drive one, but I kinda want a 4x4 and jeeps seem like the affordable 4x4s, plus they still have plety of room to haul stuff around. I'm wondering how Reliable they are, from all your experiences andif you recomend patriots. How many miles do you have and what problems or just regular services did you need so far. I use to hear the older jeeps weren't that reliable. Are the new ones any better. I'm looking to get maybe a 2015 or 2016. Also is there different ride heights from ground between the different classes? (Sport, sport se, latitude, etc.) What's the Maine difereence you need, or packages you need to want to go a little off roading, or to start.? Thank you for your time.
calicojack is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #2 of 27 (permalink) Old 06-02-2016, 09:30 AM
Senior Member
 
croat's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
Location: Milwaukee, WI
Posts: 10,391
 
Garage
Very

Religion has convinced people that there’s an invisible man…living in the sky, who watches everything you do every minute of every day. And the invisible man has a list of ten specific things he doesn’t want you to do. And if you do any of these things, he will send you to a special place, of burning and fire and smoke and torture and anguish for you to live forever, and suffer and burn and scream until the end of time. But he loves you. He loves you and he needs money.

~George Carlin
croat is offline  
post #3 of 27 (permalink) Old 06-02-2016, 09:41 AM
Senior Member
 
Terasec's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Location: from NYC and have places in upstate NY and in PA
Posts: 4,669
 
Send a message via AIM to Terasec Send a message via Yahoo to Terasec
I have a 2007 with 194k miles
have had my share of problems, CPU/TB/cat converter/suspension
transmission replaced at 155k miles
overall not bad, i have not been easy on the car, dirt roads/beach driving, etc..
even with its problems i recently spent $2400 on body work,(most of the body damage was my own doing) and am keeping the car as second car,
not many cars worth spending $2400 on bodywork at 194k miles pat to me is worth it,
Terasec is offline  
 
post #4 of 27 (permalink) Old 06-02-2016, 06:08 PM
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2012
Location: Vermont
Posts: 11
 
The front ends tend to need replacement every 40-50,000 miles (control arms, tie-rods, etc...), but the after market parts are must better than stock. Spring for the under coating to help keep the subframe from rusting.

That may sound like a negative-nancy talking, but I am about 60,000 (mostly) happy miles into my patriot ownership. I bought mine used. It has been a great rig. The BEST winter vehicle I have ever driven. I keep mine mostly on pavement. I demand to own a stick shift, so I couldn't get anything trail rated OR a low gear in the transmission (BOO!!!), but if you don't mind the CV tranny, Trail rated is the way to go.
KB02 is offline  
post #5 of 27 (permalink) Old 06-02-2016, 06:27 PM
Senior Member

 
Ignatz's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2009
Location: NH
Posts: 5,151
  
Garage
You seem to have 2 threads going on the same topic. I just posted this in your other thread:

My Patriot has 214,000 miles so I'm one of the senior Patriot drivers -- well, no I'm not a senior, my Patriot is . . . though I am a little gray around the fringes. So far its been great on repairs: very few and what there were have been modest and consistent with the mileage.

I've had two major repairs:
1) My CVT transmission was replaced (at 110,000 miles) under warranty so it didn't cost me a dime. I've read that statistically the CVT has a better repair record than conventional automatics.
2) At 195,000 I had a wiring problem that meant I had to have the engine harness replaced. That was about $1200.
Considering that many miles, that is an admirable repair record. I've had some front-end work, but I still have a lot of original parts up there too. I'm still on the original shocks, struts and springs, and living in New England I travel on roads with lots of frost heaves and pot holes, so I think the suspension is rock solid.
I've had no engine work, my original brakes lasted to about 100,000 and at 214,000 I'm still on my first set of replacements, so they have outlasted the originals. (I've never gotten more than 70,000 out of brakes prior to this). No rust, no leaks, original exhaust.

The important thing for me is its ability to handle snow. My town doesn't plow between 11PM and 5AM and I leave for work at 4AM -- my Patriot is FWD and I've always gotten through, and a few times I was approaching its limits. With good snow tires 6-7" of snow is doable, and I live in hilly terrain, but not really mountainous. I've had at least one off-road trip that was more than I should have attempted, but my Patriot got me through safe and sound. I posted my adventure in the 2wd forum.

While I've not had the problems, some Patriots go through ball joints rather quickly and some Patriots leak when it rains, particularly those with sunroofs. Maybe Jeep has addressed this in the newer models.

Yes there are different ride heights depending on the model, but we're only talking an inch or two. We have 2 Patriots and our 2014 is 1" taller than the 2008.

Have they improved over the years? As said, mine is a 2008 and Wifey's is a 2014. Her 2014 is nicer inside -- the interior was a complaint about the early years.

In conclusion, not only would I recommend the Patriot, I put my money where my mouth is and bought another (2014) for my wife. Oh yeah, the Patriot's strong suit is fuel economy. My 2008 has the 2.4 CVT and is never below 26mpg and on a trip can put out 30+mpg. Wifey's 2014 is a 2.0 with a 5-spd and is consistently higher. Both are FWD, so with AWD you will likely be lower. Her's just got a new set of plugs and the last three fill-ups averaged 34mpg (almost all highway). You may find the 2.0 needs its lower gears if you live in the mountains, but on the level it zips right along.
John Smeton likes this.
Ignatz is offline  
post #6 of 27 (permalink) Old 06-02-2016, 10:08 PM Thread Starter
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2016
Posts: 27
 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ignatz View Post
You seem to have 2 threads going on the same topic. I just posted this in your other thread:

My Patriot has 214,000 miles so I'm one of the senior Patriot drivers -- well, no I'm not a senior, my Patriot is . . . though I am a little gray around the fringes. So far its been great on repairs: very few and what there were have been modest and consistent with the mileage.

I've had two major repairs:
1) My CVT transmission was replaced (at 110,000 miles) under warranty so it didn't cost me a dime. I've read that statistically the CVT has a better repair record than conventional automatics.
2) At 195,000 I had a wiring problem that meant I had to have the engine harness replaced. That was about $1200.
Considering that many miles, that is an admirable repair record. I've had some front-end work, but I still have a lot of original parts up there too. I'm still on the original shocks, struts and springs, and living in New England I travel on roads with lots of frost heaves and pot holes, so I think the suspension is rock solid.
I've had no engine work, my original brakes lasted to about 100,000 and at 214,000 I'm still on my first set of replacements, so they have outlasted the originals. (I've never gotten more than 70,000 out of brakes prior to this). No rust, no leaks, original exhaust.

The important thing for me is its ability to handle snow. My town doesn't plow between 11PM and 5AM and I leave for work at 4AM -- my Patriot is FWD and I've always gotten through, and a few times I was approaching its limits. With good snow tires 6-7" of snow is doable, and I live in hilly terrain, but not really mountainous. I've had at least one off-road trip that was more than I should have attempted, but my Patriot got me through safe and sound. I posted my adventure in the 2wd forum.

While I've not had the problems, some Patriots go through ball joints rather quickly and some Patriots leak when it rains, particularly those with sunroofs. Maybe Jeep has addressed this in the newer models.

Yes there are different ride heights depending on the model, but we're only talking an inch or two. We have 2 Patriots and our 2014 is 1" taller than the 2008.

Have they improved over the years? As said, mine is a 2008 and Wifey's is a 2014. Her 2014 is nicer inside -- the interior was a complaint about the early years.

In conclusion, not only would I recommend the Patriot, I put my money where my mouth is and bought another (2014) for my wife. Oh yeah, the Patriot's strong suit is fuel economy. My 2008 has the 2.4 CVT and is never below 26mpg and on a trip can put out 30+mpg. Wifey's 2014 is a 2.0 with a 5-spd and is consistently higher. Both are FWD, so with AWD you will likely be lower. Her's just got a new set of plugs and the last three fill-ups averaged 34mpg (almost all highway). You may find the 2.0 needs its lower gears if you live in the mountains, but on the level it zips right along.
Thank you so much, and yes I posted this in a couple threads, I wanted to be sure to get some replies lol.
I agree is a song suit for mpg, especially with their 4x4s. And they are so affordable compared to other 4x4s. And no big issue till about 100k miles sounds good and reliable enough for me. Thank you so much for taking your time for giving me all that info.
calicojack is offline  
post #7 of 27 (permalink) Old 06-02-2016, 10:32 PM
Senior Member
 
pudders33's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2016
Location: Lebanon, PA
Posts: 173
 
Garage
Haven't had any problems with either of ours.

2016 Granite Crystal Jeep Patriot High Altitude Edition
pudders33 is offline  
post #8 of 27 (permalink) Old 06-03-2016, 12:55 PM
Senior Member
 
ColoradoMan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
Location: Colorado obviously
Posts: 1,917
 
My last patriot was in 3 accidents and it still kept driving at 60k miles my current one has been in no accidents and is at 60k miles. Never had to replace anything in them besides routine maintenance.

Mods: 225/65/17 Geolandar A/T, K&N Cold air intake
ColoradoMan is offline  
post #9 of 27 (permalink) Old 06-03-2016, 01:22 PM
Senior Member
 
jack.allwardt's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Location: Bonney Lake, WA
Posts: 3,107
 
My '08 Limited has been very reliable. Only time in jeep shop was to change oil, and 120K transmission service. Tire shop replaced a few link-items, and of course, all struts. At 100K, replaced drive belt and idlers, coolant flush and replace. Battery lasted 6 years. Still on original brakes at 120K+. Had some minor interior work on front seat bottoms--replaced cracking vinyl and one leather insert--mainly due to 50+# dog riding in seat with no protection--cost to repair--less than $200.

As I've moved to WA, I will be replacing my '08 with either a '16 or '17 that will have 4 wheel drive, as I plan to play in the mountains and snow. If you're in the SE Seattle area, I'd make you a good deal on a well-experienced and maintained unit....
John Smeton likes this.


Jack Allwardt, Bonney Lake (Tehaleh area), WA; "recovering Californian"; (REPEAT Patriot Owner...'08 Limited and a '16 High Altitude), Retired engineer, US Army veteran, Member: American Legion, Veterans of Foreign Wars, Central Valley Vietnam Veterans, Enumclaw (WA) Lions Club. Former vintage military jeep owner, instrument rated commercial pilot, ag pilot, vintage aircraft restorer and test pilot.

Last edited by jack.allwardt; 06-03-2016 at 01:25 PM.
jack.allwardt is offline  
post #10 of 27 (permalink) Old 06-03-2016, 04:43 PM Thread Starter
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2016
Posts: 27
 
Thank you guys so much. I'm glad I joined the forum , I definitely got enough feed back.
I'm pretty sure I'm gonna try and get a patriot next.
It won't be till begining of 2017, either gonna get a new , or maybe a used 2015/2016.
If that times comes maybe I'll post it back on this post and let you all know how it goes.
You guys and this forum is awesome.
calicojack is offline  
post #11 of 27 (permalink) Old 06-03-2016, 04:45 PM Thread Starter
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2016
Posts: 27
 
Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by jack.allwardt View Post
My '08 Limited has been very reliable. Only time in jeep shop was to change oil, and 120K transmission service. Tire shop replaced a few link-items, and of course, all struts. At 100K, replaced drive belt and idlers, coolant flush and replace. Battery lasted 6 years. Still on original brakes at 120K+. Had some minor interior work on front seat bottoms--replaced cracking vinyl and one leather insert--mainly due to 50+# dog riding in seat with no protection--cost to repair--less than $200.

As I've moved to WA, I will be replacing my '08 with either a '16 or '17 that will have 4 wheel drive, as I plan to play in the mountains and snow. If you're in the SE Seattle area, I'd make you a good deal on a well-experienced and maintained unit....
Thanks for over but I'll problem get new or a used 2015/16, when I'm ready to buy in begging of 2017.
And from a
Active sailor to a army vet, thank you for your service. I don't know if that photo is saying you are the vet or the person in the plane is, or both.

Last edited by calicojack; 06-03-2016 at 04:48 PM.
calicojack is offline  
post #12 of 27 (permalink) Old 06-03-2016, 04:52 PM
Unsponsored Baja racer
 
RossoRacer's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2012
Location: Newaygo County, Michigan
Posts: 3,815
 
Garage
Ol' jack.allwardt is our resident Vietnam vet and Stearman expert. Navy, eh? Wouldn't happen to have served on Old Ironsides before?

Trekkie, trucker, Jeeper, potential racer. Don't touch my trumpets.
"For God so loved the world that He sent His only begotten Son, that all who believe in him might not perish but have eternal life" -John 3:16
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KOb8IEyCO1o
RossoRacer is offline  
post #13 of 27 (permalink) Old 06-03-2016, 06:19 PM
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2008
Location: Troy, Mo.
Posts: 274
 
Original owner of a '07 at 134,000. I put on front pads around 130K because originals were wearing down. I had the serpentine belt
changed at 120K to keep Lifetime Warranty in effect. Nothing has broken to far. I would like to get a new 2.4/CVT which is what I have
now, but that is no longer available in FWD. My '08 Grand Cherokee had 156K when it blew a head gasket, so I plan to see if I can
beat that record. My first Jeep was a 1948 Willys Overland Station Wagon. Now there was a vehicle you could fix with pliers and a
screwdriver. Girls loved to ride around in that.
wpeck2 is offline  
post #14 of 27 (permalink) Old 06-04-2016, 11:19 AM
Senior Member
 
jack.allwardt's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Location: Bonney Lake, WA
Posts: 3,107
 
Quote:
Originally Posted by calicojack View Post
Thanks for over but I'll problem get new or a used 2015/16, when I'm ready to buy in begging of 2017.
And from a
Active sailor to a army vet, thank you for your service. I don't know if that photo is saying you are the vet or the person in the plane is, or both.
Well, the guy in photo is a Vietnam vet and active American Legionnaire. The Boeing model 75, aka "Stearman" also is a vet having served as a trainer at Minter Field just north of Bakersfield, CA from '42 to '45 when she was surplused. I bought the original paperwork and the hull/fuselage which had set in a barn for 30 years and had been severely cannibalized and built this airplane out of many spare parts and those that I manufactured myself. A delightful hobby, it was!

And sir, to you and to all the other vets on this forum, "THANKS FOR YOUR SERVICE11"


Jack Allwardt, Bonney Lake (Tehaleh area), WA; "recovering Californian"; (REPEAT Patriot Owner...'08 Limited and a '16 High Altitude), Retired engineer, US Army veteran, Member: American Legion, Veterans of Foreign Wars, Central Valley Vietnam Veterans, Enumclaw (WA) Lions Club. Former vintage military jeep owner, instrument rated commercial pilot, ag pilot, vintage aircraft restorer and test pilot.
jack.allwardt is offline  
post #15 of 27 (permalink) Old 06-04-2016, 02:28 PM
Senior Member
 
John Smeton's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Posts: 490
 
Quote:
Originally Posted by KB02 View Post
The front ends tend to need replacement every 40-50,000 miles (control arms, tie-rods, etc...), but the after market parts are must better than stock. Spring for the under coating to help keep the subframe from rusting.

That may sound like a negative-nancy talking, but I am about 60,000 (mostly) happy miles into my patriot ownership. I bought mine used. It has been a great rig. The BEST winter vehicle I have ever driven. I keep mine mostly on pavement. I demand to own a stick shift, so I couldn't get anything trail rated OR a low gear in the transmission (BOO!!!), but if you don't mind the CV tranny, Trail rated is the way to go.
what year is yours?

i dont know if its true, maybe someone knows for sure ? that in 2011 the front suspension issues were worked out?

Quote:
Originally Posted by calicojack View Post
Hi, I'm looking into getting a new vehicle soon. My first choice so far is a patriot, I'm starting to love them more and more. I still need to test drive one, but I kinda want a 4x4 and jeeps seem like the affordable 4x4s, plus they still have plety of room to haul stuff around. I'm wondering how Reliable they are, from all your experiences andif you recomend patriots. How many miles do you have and what problems or just regular services did you need so far. I use to hear the older jeeps weren't that reliable. Are the new ones any better. I'm looking to get maybe a 2015 or 2016. Also is there different ride heights from ground between the different classes? (Sport, sport se, latitude, etc.) What's the Maine difereence you need, or packages you need to want to go a little off roading, or to start.? Thank you for your time.
Bought mine in feb 15. So far mine has been nicely

reliable and only real issues ive had is two battery replacements


agreed this forum is awesome

2012 2.0 patriot sport fwd

subscribe to my youtube channelhttp://www.youtube.com/channel/UC7udYNC4RSp268vBfCU2jSQ

like my page, facebook https://www.facebook.com/pages/John-Smeton-Fitness/575323199169735?ref=hl

follow my twitter https://twitter.com/SmetonFitness

If I can do anything for you, contact me!
John Smeton is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Reply

Quick Reply
Message:
Options

Register Now



In order to be able to post messages on the Jeep Patriot Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:


Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in









Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.



Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Display Modes
Linear Mode Linear Mode



Posting Rules  
You may post new threads
You may post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On

 
For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome