Jeep Patriot* Is TTAC’s 2016 Worst Automobile Today - Page 3 - Jeep Patriot Forums
Jeep Patriot General Discussion General discussion for the Jeep Patriot

66Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #31 of 122 (permalink) Old 06-04-2016, 02:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dmill89 View Post
Reliability isn't really the issue, the Patriot is consistently ranked one of Chrysler's most reliable vehicles, but the reviewers always complain that they are "outdated" (I personally think this is a plus, I hate most of the electronic crap they are putting in many newer vehicles), the "utilitarian" interior (still much improved from earlier models, and again I think is a plus, may not be as "fancy" as competitors, but holds up well), the handling (they're comparing it to crossovers with 2-3" less ground clearance and nothing resembling off-road ability), and it's general "cheapness" (it is a cheap vehicle after all, you shouldn't expect a "luxury car" level of refinement in this price range).
I like he classic patriot look, and its about what I like when I choose a car. I agree , I like the simplenes of the patriot and not al the heated mirrors, etc...it has some nice stuff, like the aux to plug my mp3 in, and other fantastic stuff that works for me. I prefer the more basic stuff in a car
RossoRacer and Craigman8191 like this.

2012 2.0 patriot sport fwd

subscribe to my youtube channelhttp://www.youtube.com/channel/UC7udYNC4RSp268vBfCU2jSQ

like my page, facebook https://www.facebook.com/pages/John-Smeton-Fitness/575323199169735?ref=hl

follow my twitter https://twitter.com/SmetonFitness

If I can do anything for you, contact me!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #32 of 122 (permalink) Old 06-04-2016, 03:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Igster View Post
This post is exactly what I'm talking about. I don't have this, but this will compensate. It's not as good doing this but I'm OK with that. This post is full of people who buy a Jeep Patriot and "settle".

I'll never convince those who write posts like this, but I hope I stop some poor soul coming by this forum wondering if they should buy it and decide to look around a bit more.

I HATE my Patriot and can't wait until the day it's gone. Worst purchase I ever made. Dodge garbage.
I spent 2 years shopping before settling on a Patriot. I chose it because I hated it least of everything available. 2 years at the Detroit Auto show, I told myself "nothing here calls out to me". It was the best choice of vehicles available with my preference for steel wheels, roll up windows, and no infotainment system.

You come across as someone trying blame others on a bad decision you made for yourself.

Why DID you settle on a Patriot when so many others are available? If its mechanical problems, wake up, every vehicle brand forum has a "worst purchase ever made guy".

If you could, what would you buy? Forester, CRV, RAV4? Your answer would better explain your Patriot hate.
John Smeton and RossoRacer like this.

2014 Sport, 2wd, 2.4L, 6 speed tranny, Winter Chill
post #33 of 122 (permalink) Old 06-04-2016, 04:12 PM

Igster talking about "settling" for jeep patriot . Im happy to settle for a vehicle that is about half the cost of what another manufacturer would charge. I got myself a great deal

2012 2.0 patriot sport fwd

subscribe to my youtube channelhttp://www.youtube.com/channel/UC7udYNC4RSp268vBfCU2jSQ

like my page, facebook https://www.facebook.com/pages/John-Smeton-Fitness/575323199169735?ref=hl

follow my twitter https://twitter.com/SmetonFitness

If I can do anything for you, contact me!

post #34 of 122 (permalink) Old 06-04-2016, 04:47 PM

Send a message via AIM to Terasec Send a message via Yahoo to Terasec
Quote:
This post is exactly what I'm talking about. I don't have this, but this will compensate. It's not as good doing this but I'm OK with that. This post is full of people who buy a Jeep Patriot and "settle".

I HATE my Patriot and can't wait until the day it's gone. Worst purchase I ever made. Dodge garbage.
Not sure what you mean by settled
I had a low $20k budget when i bought the pat
Guess i settled when i bought mine at $21.5k
Nearest comparable 4x4 was $27k
I settled and saved +$5k

Guess i also settled on my recent purchase
Settled on a 2 yr old buick with 8k miles on it over new

As for your gripes
I hated my 1990 volvo which blew the engine at 5 yrs with 55k miles on it
They didnt have extended powertrain warranties like they do today
It cost me $150 to have it towed to the junk yard
But didnt go around bashing volvo owners over it
RossoRacer likes this.
post #35 of 122 (permalink) Old 06-04-2016, 11:21 PM

I had a Patriot with CVT and steelies. Hated the CVT and steelies. I settled for a Compass with the 6at. I like the ride of the MKS and I feel no remorse. I knew what I was buying.
post #36 of 122 (permalink) Old 06-05-2016, 02:14 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 12PatriotCVT View Post
I knew what I was buying.
by far the most important thing said in this whole thread. I think that some of the negative sentiments I've read here come from somebody who didn't know what they were buying and had the wrong expectations.

Have you ever told somebody you were going to give them milk, but without them seeing what you are giving them, gave them O.J. in stead? It will make people puke.

O.J. is amazing and in some ways far better than milk, However, if you are expecting one thing, and get something else, it can leave a bad taste in your mouth, despite the qualities of the product.

Is there a lemon here and there? sure, but that's with ALL vehicles from ALL makes. Period. That's why they sell them with warranties and there are lemon laws (at least in the US). so you can fix the issues.

anyways, anybody who is realistic about it, the patriot is a great value for the money for a 4x4/awd vehicle. I don't think there is another one that can come close to it on price. There was a suzuki that could, but it is no longer sold in the US. It can fit 4 adults, or 2 and 3 kids easily (I've done that plenty) and it can carry a bunch of cargo, it was by far the easiest car to get our kids strollers in and out of. and it gets OK gas mileage (to get better you have to spend a lot more $$ and you can buy a lot of gas for that extra $$)

anyways. I think most of the reviews are unfair to the patriot, as they put it up against cars costs thousands more, and are much newer platforms. however it is dated, and there are better cars on the market (but not for the money). Set the correct expectations, and you'll be set.

just for example, the hyundai tucson (which I think somebody mentioned replacing their patriot with) for a base 2.0l (same world engine platform as the patriot) with the same 6 speed auto and 4x4, STARTS at 4k more than the patriot, before taking any incentives into account. once you do that its as high as a 9K difference in price. you can almost buy a whole other brand new car for the price difference between the two entry level awd cars with basically the same drive train. and if you were to go with the 1.6l turbo (similar horse power to the patriot) then you could buy a chevy spark or nissan virsa for the price difference between the two. So yeah, I sure as heck hope that the tucson is a nicer car than the patriot (which it is not) for that kind of money.

2012 FDII Patriot - Sold
1989 Cherokee Pioneer - 3.5" MC lift
http://aicproductionblog.com/support-this-page/
http://www.youtube.com/c/aicoffroadvideo
post #37 of 122 (permalink) Old 06-05-2016, 03:36 AM Thread Starter

Patriot is going back to the bank on Monday. I couldn't be happier. So long you piece of crap. I would rather drive a 12 year old pickup truck than this piece of crap. Good riddance. You can all enjoy your dodge garbage, with no resale value and not even close to anything that can 4x4 with anything out there. Bucket of bolts. Ranks right up there with their fricken' K-Cars. Good riddance Patriot. Worst mistake of my life. God knows I'm going to pay for it, but I know it was the worst choice I made. If you are thinking about buying a Patriot. Run you crazy bastard. Run and never look back.
post #38 of 122 (permalink) Old 06-05-2016, 09:12 AM

The MKs hold one of the highest resale values. All Jeeps do. Why do you badge this vehicle as a Dodge. The platform the MKs are on is shared with many different vehicles not just FCA vehicles. Trucks are great but after a few years they rattle . I am older and need a quiet solid vehicle. I am surrounded by cheap plastic and I'm fine with that.
John Smeton likes this.
post #39 of 122 (permalink) Old 06-05-2016, 10:20 AM

Quote:
Patriot is going back to the bank on Monday. I couldn't be happier. So long you piece of crap. I would rather drive a 12 year old pickup truck than this piece of crap. Good riddance. You can all enjoy your dodge garbage, with no resale value and not even close to anything that can 4x4 with anything out there. Bucket of bolts. Ranks right up there with their fricken' K-Cars. Good riddance Patriot. Worst mistake of my life. God knows I'm going to pay for it, but I know it was the worst choice I made. If you are thinking about buying a Patriot. Run you crazy bastard. Run and never look back.
Good luck on your next ride
Hope it works out for you
Just curious
Will you be buying a $50k 4x4?
Or will you settle for a $30k truck?
RossoRacer likes this.
post #40 of 122 (permalink) Old 06-05-2016, 06:49 PM

30k for a stripped down truck maybe. Trucks are expensive. Igster shuda waited for Wrangler days. There's a Chrysler dealership near Akron that advertizes new low end Wrangler's for 21k. They are on I76 west of Akron. Big Dealer too they have a huge digital billboard in front of property. That's what he shuda bought. Patriots are good snow runners not rock hoppers. He bought the wrong vehicle.
post #41 of 122 (permalink) Old 06-05-2016, 07:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 12PatriotCVT View Post
There's a Chrysler dealership near Akron that advertizes new low end Wrangler's for 21k.
Those are called ad cars
Used to lure buyers in
They dont actually sell ad cars
I was looking for a wrangler unlimited for under $30k for 1-2 yrs
Build price online was $28k-$29k
Every dealer swore they had one until i walked in the door
All the unlimiteds were +$35k regardless of ads
post #42 of 122 (permalink) Old 06-05-2016, 07:25 PM
Unsponsored Baja racer

Garage

Trekkie, trucker, Jeeper, potential racer. Don't touch my trumpets.
"For God so loved the world that He sent His only begotten Son, that all who believe in him might not perish but have eternal life" -John 3:16
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KOb8IEyCO1o
post #43 of 122 (permalink) Old 06-05-2016, 08:47 PM

Garage
Quote:
I, too, have had vehicles I couldn't wait to get rid of, and one was even a Jeep, but no way I was taking the hit for a repo on my credit rating.

As for comparing it to the K-cars, that is no insult. My Dad had one of those -- as I recall it was an '84 Reliant. Those cars were certainly modest, but they were economical. His got into the high 30s mpg. And the K-cars were safe, especially considering their size. His got in a wreck with a Pontiac Firebird -- head-on/offset at highway speeds (45-55mph). The Firebird rolled over; my Dad's K-car went down an embankment: both cars were totalled. He and my Mom (and the other driver) walked away from the scene with no more injuries than shattered nerves. I don't think comparing anything to a K-car is an insult. As said above, you just have to consider what it was and what it cost.
RossoRacer likes this.
post #44 of 122 (permalink) Old 06-05-2016, 10:27 PM

wait, he's giving it up as a repo? I thought he was trading it in or something. He's going to TRASH his credit! That's not smart at all.... I mean if he plans on buying a car again on credit any time soon. You would be MUCH better off trading it in and taking the hit with the negative equity. you'll pay that much and then some with either a HUGE interest rate or buy a much lower end used car.

You would be MUCH better off dumping as much money into it to bring it down to a private party value, and then sell it private. That's what I did and actually got more for it than I expected. yeah, you put a bunch of money into a car you are getting rid of. but its way better than killing your credit, or having a huge negative equity on your next car... Patriot actually holds it value pretty well, so unless you rolled in a ton of negative equity into your patriot, it actually shouldn't be too bad in getting it down to private party.

Looking at your post history you've not been smart with your car buying, you did roll a bunch of negative equity into your patriot with your journey. if you were paying as much as your wife was paying for her wrangler for your patriot, because of the negative equity, yeah I could understand being frustrated. so it seems like my suggestion of selling it private party would give you the best outcome. Sell it and buy a cheap $1-2000 car (plenty out there, I just bought one myself) for cash, and drive that for a year or two while you save up money to buy a nicer car with cash.

Don't make rash decisions, and think a little more about the situation, and the consequences your decisions will have. Its something that I'm working with with my children. Trying to teach them that every decision has a consequence, good or bad, and that by first considering what those consequences will be, they will be much happier in the long run.

2012 FDII Patriot - Sold
1989 Cherokee Pioneer - 3.5" MC lift
http://aicproductionblog.com/support-this-page/
http://www.youtube.com/c/aicoffroadvideo
post #45 of 122 (permalink) Old 06-06-2016, 02:17 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by aroundincircles View Post
wait, he's giving it up as a repo? I thought he was trading it in or something. He's going to TRASH his credit! That's not smart at all.... I mean if he plans on buying a car again on credit any time soon. You would be MUCH better off trading it in and taking the hit with the negative equity. you'll pay that much and then some with either a HUGE interest rate or buy a much
No choice. I live in Alberta Canada. We are in a financial downturn due to oil taking a dive. My credit is already ruined anyway. To me, this is a good thing overall as I don't have to deal with this car I hate anymore.

If I could trade it in, I would, but kind of hard to do so with so much owing on it and the fact I don't have a job. Now is the perfect time to simply walk away from something I don't want anyway. The bailiff is picking it up tomorrow. That's all she wrote. I'm sure many will be happy to not hear me bitch about this thing I hate anymore anyway.

Life is taking some unexpected turns, but I know for a fact I will NEVER buy anything like this vehicle again. Worst excuse for a 4x4 there ever was. Cheaply built and brutal resale value. But then again, that's not going to be my problem anymore.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jeep Patriot Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode