Jeep Patriot Forums banner

Jeep Patriot* Is TTAC’s 2016 Worst Automobile Today

20K views 122 replies 50 participants last post by  CdnPatriotFan 
#1 ·
It’s a Dodge Caliber festooned with a seven slot grille and boxy proportions. It exists for no other reason than to leverage the brand equity built up by decades of Jeep heritage. The Patriot*, according to your nominations, our writers, and your votes is — by far — TTAC’s 2016 Worst Automobile Today.
These Are TTAC's 2016 Ten Worst Automobiles Today

#47 ·
I feel like a lot of other things are being blamed on the jeep, that are not the jeep's fault.

And no, rolling a ton of equity into a new car does not mean it has crap resale value. The patriot has pretty decent resale value for an economy car. I loss less than $4000 from my actual purchase price to when I sold mine private party ~2 years later. for a new car, that's actually really good, BUT I had rolled in a bunch of negative equity myself, so I had to pay it down a few K before I could sell it.

Sorry about your job loss, and stuff, May I recommend the following book: The Total Money Makeover: Classic Edition: A Proven Plan for Financial Fitness: Dave Ramsey: 8601401250852: Amazon.com: Books

Its taken 6 years, but I was in about $200k in debt, and nearly divorced, had lost my job, and had hit financial rock bottom... Reading that book changed my life, and I highly recommend reading it, and making the changes it recommends. I am now Completely Debt free except my house, my marriage is fixed, and my employment has improved significantly. It talks mostly about money, but some of the things it teaches can be applied in other parts of your life.

#54 ·
My hate for the Patriot has nothing to do with anything other than the fact I bought a car I don't like. It happens. I thought I would like it. I did not. My financial issues have everything to do with the state of oil and Alberta right now. The unemployment rate is sky high here currently. Hundreds of thousands of people are out of work and in financial ruin. The rate of unemployment and bankruptcy are at an all time high here in Alberta.

I'll admit I rolled too much debt into the Patriot, but if I had liked the vehicle, I would have had no issues making all the payments over and above what it was actually worth. That is, if Alberta didn't just nose dive into the abyss when it comes to the economy. Cars and homes are being taken back by the bank hand over fist here. It's really a sad time for such a great province. To me, well, it gives me a chance to start over again and buy a vehicle i like down the road. In the meantime, I'll buy something used which I'm sure I'll enjoy better than the Patriot.

#48 ·
Wow AIC what an inspirational story. The tarsands situation in CA is horrible. It's taking a toll on the economy including the Loonie. The Loonie was on par with the green back as recent as last year. When I had business there I told the Canucks to buy as many US dollars they could afford because that par thing wasn't going to stick around ya know.

#107 ·
WOW. I just clicked through on this, and looked at the U.S. sales figures. For the last couple of years, the Patriot has sold >10,000 units PER MONTH, which is more than double what it sold per month in it's first couple of years. The Patriot has simply gotten MORE and MORE popular with every passing year.

Of course I see lots of 'Riots on the road, and this vehicle personally suits me very much. But those sales figures are impressive. No wonder the Patriot got a reprieve and lives on for the 2017 model year.

Short version: lots of people like this little Jeep, long into it's lifespan.

#55 · (Edited)
WHO Cares what others think!

I happened to love the little jeep. I've owned quite a few Jeeps over the years and these little Patriots are fun and so far very reliable - and I like the old school boxy look. We own 2 now. A 2014 and a 2016.
I see alot on the road today - so not everybody has this "worst" opinion.
Hec I've owned 3 Wranglers, 2 Liberty's, 1 Commander and 2 Patriots.
Let them talk, sell their little Pats ...that just more parts for mine:grin2:
Come on - how can you not love this thang??

Reactions: javylsu
#56 ·
Come on - how can you not love this thang??
I dunno, it's so simple it sells itself. Only thing I'm not a big fan of with the Patriot is that 6-spd it never needed(and maybe electric windows, ipad dash, etc.) but that's just me.

#57 ·
Mine is a 2014 that I bought new for my daily driver and I really like it, especially for the value. I have the 2WD 2.0 Altitude with the CVT and am about to turn 27K. My warranty is for 10 years and 100K so I'm not parting ways with it, and while it's never given me and issue, if I had to do it all again, I'd have gotten the 2.4 with the 4x4. However, this Riot has gotten us in and out of many trails and such in Southern Utah that would surprise many. I also own a JK 4.0 for real off-roading and our "Sunday Funday Runs".

I've heard many bitch and moan about the CVT, but mine is great (knock on wood) and I use the auto-stick or whatever it's called a lot for better acceleration from a stop. The guys at the local Jeep Dealership said the CVT was improved significantly around 2010 (not sure on that year) and mines rock solid. I also do all of my own maintenance: fluids, filters, plugs, etc.

So for us, it's a great small SUV - especially for the price and looks pretty sharp with the white on black wheels package that it came with. Looks like this survey is a joke, like most. I used to work for a "Top 10 Best Places to Work" and whoever did that survey must use this same system of gathering data, because it's a sh*t company here in Vegas.

#64 ·
Igster so it appears your not rich for lack of a better word, and owe on this vfehcile and now just taking a financial hit on it?

dude, one of the reasons I got this was the price, along with the suv look, good gas economy. This is just about the best bang for the buck suv, cuv on the market and good on gas. If youre Donald Trump and have trillons sure nothing wrong with getting whatever car you want . As for people getting most bang for your buck this is a fantastic deal and if I made an extra 50,000 $$ this year ,I would still drive this and I have no debts

#65 ·
I don't care for the OP's attitude, but I feel for the mess he's in. However, turning a car back to the bank is low on my list of ways I'd get rid of a car.

John Smeton, you're very right: staying out of debt is the best way to improve/maintain one's financial position. The next best way is biting the bullet and making the best of a bad situation. We've all gotten into some.

Sad part is, someone is going to buy Igster's Patriot and probably love it forever. I once got an Oldsmobile that somebody returned to GM during their 30-day no-questions-asked promotion back in '93. Yeah, the tranny had a whine but my dealer insisted on replacing the transmission before he'd let me take it. He loaned me a Volvo to use for a couple weeks while they got it and did the install. Turned out to be near the top of my favorite cars of all time -- right behind my '04 Grand Prix and my current '08 Patriot. That Olds went to 140,000 without a single repair; it was my vehicle for work, and that car worked as hard as I did. But like I said, somebody else dumped it. Too bad for them, lucky for me!

#66 ·
Igster is in a financial quandary. He blames a vehicle for part of the mess. Canada charges 30-40% more for cars than the US. The Canadians make 30-40% more income respectfully than us. When the Loonie was on par with the US dollar the good folks up North made out well with the currency exchange. But buying a car in the US isn't culpable for them too many tariffs taxes etc. I wouldn't pay 32,000 for a Patriot but they do. With a loan you're getting close to 40,000. That's crazy and I don't blame Iggy for getting rid of it.

#68 ·
The problem is... he didn't get rid of it. at least in the US (not sure about canada) the band will whole sale the vehicle, and still come after him for the difference. So in reality, he actually caused MORE issues for himself, because now they can take him to court, garnish his wages, etc. He would have been better off taking a loan out for the difference and selling it, and having a smaller loan (since private party > wholesale prices) even if he defaulted on that, it would be a MUCH smaller amount to deal with. Letting your car get repo'd is really a bad deal. There are much better options if you put some thought and effort into it.

#67 ·
I clicked the link just to see what "TTAC" stood for. Never heard of them, and now Im a bit saddened that my click counted to their webpage; which will likely make them feel their opinion was important enough to write more crap articles as people are looking at it.

#71 · (Edited)
Just before I got married I bought a '74 Jeep Cherokee. I thought it would be a great car for my Wife-to-be. I thought She looked kinda cute driving that big machine. Just before we got married we took it on a road trip to another state and had transfer case problems. It cost me $160 (that was more than a week's take-home pay in those days) and the problem started all over again when we got home. There was no way to take it back to the 'repairing dealer', and a local mechanic advised me to trade it in. "You can't afford the repairs." It was the late '70s and Lee Iacocca was fighting to keep Chrysler in business and they were making all kids of deals just to generate a cash flow. I got what I owed on it for trade and bought an off-lease '78 Volare. It wasn't a Jeep, nor a fun vehicle -- it was an old man's car, it wasn't so good on gas, and there were some premature repairs, but it was affordable till my Bride and I got on our feet financially. I loved that Cherokee but it taught me an expensive lesson. In retrospect that Volare was a much more prudent purchase.

Later when we went to trade it in, I wasn't getting nearly what I wanted for it and my Dad said, "Hey, I'll buy it for that price." He did, and cash in hand I was able to get a better deal than if I'd traded.

PS, I'd still see that Volare on the road near my Dad's place for many years after he was done with it. It had to be 20 years old by then. Whoever bought it likely got it cheap and was willing to do the little stuff that needed to be done to keep it going.

#72 ·
I've had my Patriot almost nine years.
It has served me well.
I have had many an adventure with the War Wagon.
It hit 100K miles last month.
I have had to catch up on some TLC with it the past year or so but it has never let me down so far.
I bought it because it was the lowest price SUV and its spartan simplicity.
It is basic transportation that was good on gas and could haul stuff.
It is a little rusty from the first seven and a half years being in the upper Mid-West but it was never meant to be a show car.
If I wanted bling bling I would have bought a Caddie.

I am sure the editors of that site where chinos and eat tofu. ;-)

#74 ·
didn't read through all 5 pages but will say, i had a k-car back in late 80s and it was fine. the patriot reminds me alot of that car with it's lines and hood. it also reminds me of the 98 cherokee i had in late 90's.

the patriot is good for what it is.

an economy 4x4 that can actually 4x4- i have the 5spd 4x4 sport fd1.

it gets great mpgs for what it is (26/27 all the time here), can offroad enough for me, looks nice, rides nice, is simple and easy to maintain. and is not expensive. 20k for a 4x4 fd1 stick? that's a great deal especially since onlybasic eco cars go for 15-17k or more.

the article is bs. if you are a soccer mom or dad who wants all the bells and whistles and fancy heated seats and stuff, go elesewhere. for a guy like me, in his mid 40s, who's done with kids, and needs a 4x4 to get to my camping spot- where 4x4 is a must- then it's perfect. sure, i can afford a 35k suv or more any day of the week. but why?? this one fits me perfect. Oh, my other vehicle is a 2007 nissan xterra 4x4 that i bought new in 2006 so i know alittle about 4x4's in general.

the little jeep gets it done within reason.....and that's all i expect out of it......

it has NO competition when you consider -

4x4- with good capability
4cylinder simplicity and mpgs
STICK!!!!!!!!!!!!
looks
price point.

I will be sad when they stop making them....

Reactions: RossoRacer
#75 ·
didn't read through all 5 pages but will say, i had a k-car back in late 80s and it was fine. the patriot reminds me alot of that car with it's lines and hood. it also reminds me of the 98 cherokee i had in late 90's.
I never had a k-car
but always appreciated them for what they were, good reliable basic cars,
had a family friend who loved his plymouth reliant.
it was +20 years old with 300k miles on it, and he kept it in mint condition,
300k miles and it looked like it just came off the showroom floor i was always impressed with his car,

#76 ·
Great All Around Jeep

I have a 2009 Patriot 4x2 that I bought new in Feb 09. It has been a very reliable vehicle, that is fuel efficient, easy to work on and looks great (IMO). I have over 151K miles on it and she just keeps going. Yes, there have been a few issues here and there, but that can be expected of any vehicle. Especially, when you drive it all over the place. And when things break down, I fix them, if I can if not then I get it done by either a reputable mechanic or the dealership. Plus, I do regular tune ups and oil changes. Either way, paying for repairs is a lot cheaper than making monthly payments every month for years! My Jeep is part of the family! I recommend it for anyone looking for a reliable vehicle for a decent price. But, I do tell them what issues I have had so they are not going into the purchasing process blind.

#77 ·
I bought my 2015 Patriot in April and have so far put over 10,000 kms on it. It has been reliable, comfortable to drive, fuel efficient, and fun to drive. I drive it daily for work and on the weekends for fun. I love the styling ( detest the rounded, melting look of the Grand Cherokee or Ford Escape.) All the "Auto reviewers" seem to think we all want, V8 turbos with CVT transmissions and cars that drive them selves. I wanted a 5 speed but the auto had a few more toys. I NEED a/c. Not sorry I bought a Patriot, love it...Did I mention I paid cash...No loans, its mine, not the banks.

#78 ·
We bought our 2015 days before a blizzard.

It eats snow for breakfast.

We drive it down to our hunting cabin in the middle of 30 acres with a really bad road all the time, rain or shine.

It eats mud for lunch.

Pushing 30,000 bullet-proof, trouble free miles in about 18 months, ours has leather, heated seats, a sunroof and lighted cupholders.

What's the problem?

#83 ·
Ha ha...I knew there would be so many posts defending the Patriot in this thread. Hey, why not, this IS Jeep Patriot .com right?

I hate the way my Patriot went because it is not what I wanted and I know I will end up being in even more debt and most likely bankruptcy, but man oh man am I glad it's gone.

Everything rattled and was so cheaply made. 4x4 on this thing is not what 4x4 was supposed to be. Oh I know, here come the defenders - go hard dudes, but this is not a "trail rated" vehicle. Not even close. FDI or FDII. They both suck as off road vehicles and even in snow my Patriot was garbage IMO.

The engine was as gutless as they come. Kills me when I see a trailer hitch on one of these things...LOL. What are you going to pull with that engine? I could barely make it up hills here in Alberta on the highway with it, without pulling anything. Good luck with anything attached.

This vehicle sold because Dodge gave the dealers HUGE discounts and a ton of leeway to enable sales to be made. Same goes for the Compass and Journey. This is the ONLY reason you see so many of these vehicles on the road. I went into the dealership for a Wrangler (a REAL Jeep) and got talked into a Patriot because they could make so much more money from the sale. My bad and my mistake. I take full responsibility for listening to the sales morons.

I'm so glad it's gone. But it pains me to see more people suckered into the whole "Jeep 4x4" thing with the Patriot and Compass. I have yet to meet ONE PERSON (outside of this forum) who is happy with the fact they bought a Patriot or Compass.

Dodge should be ashamed. But hey, they're too busy counting the money. I couldn't be happier that its gone. This will be my last post on this forum (you can all clap now). But please...anyone thinking this is the 4x4 way to go or the way to have a vehicle at a good price that isn't too bad, please look elsewhere. This is one of the worst vehicles EVER made. And man, that says a lot when you consider the competition.

Igster out....

#87 · (Edited)
This will be my last post on this forum (you can all clap now). Igster out....

Request fulfilled. You come across as a young guy who has just experienced a life lesson about employment, financial matters, and especially the follies of vehicle purchasing. I, too, hope that no one else is suckered into a bad vehicle purchase regarding all aspects. Personally, I buy all my vehicles over the phone/internet, only stepping into the dealership to sign papers/pricing that I dictate, not some goober sales person/manager.

You know the old saying, "fool me once, shame on you. fool me twice shame on me." Don't get suckered ever again.

Numerous times I have conceded that our forum has a cult like , biased following similar to Subie fans. It is what it is. Many of us concede the short comings of Patriots honestly.

Sorry you had a bad experience and got suckered. During my prepurchase phase, I studied Toyota (RAV4), Honda(CRV), and Subaru (Forester) and found similar "I hate this vehicle/will never buy this (brand) ever again.

Thank you for providing your perspective. Every viewpoint counts and is educational for everyone, especially prospective buyers. If you fell for the Jeep stereotype image, be wary of buying a Subaru. They have a strong Lesbian stereotype following (no offense to either group, I love everyone!).

#84 ·
Its too bad the patriot didn't work out for you.

I owned a 2008 Patriot FDII for 4 years, a 2012 Compass FDII for 4 years, and Just bought a 2016 Cherokee Trailhawk.

The MK platform was designed to be "cheap" and affordable. The patriot was my first new vehicle so it was very "nice" to me, yes it was slow kinda noisy but those were tradeoffs I was more than willing to accept because of the price I paid for my vehicles. You get what you pay for and that doesn't mean that they are crap but put I in perspective, a 40000 SUV most likely is going to ride better have better fit and finish ect than something for 20000. For the target market these vehicles are perfect and that is one of the reasons they sell very well.

As for the 4x4 thing, you grab a FDII model and you get acceptable offroad performance that 90% of people would be happy with. If you are one of the 10% looking to do difficult terrain, then you will likely find the limits of the platform and not be happy. From my 8 years experience. WIth my heavily modified FDII Compass, a stock wrangler base model, with the factory street tires was better offroad than my compass. That's just the way it is jeep didn't market these vehicle to be amazing offroad because they have other models.

I know a few people outside this forum who have Patriot's and Compass and enjoy them. As a matter of fact my Sister in law has a FWD 2011 Patriot and my Sister just bought a 2016 Jeep Compass High Altitude, they are both happy with their vehicles.

I made the switch to my Cherokee because I needed more offroad performance as I had hit the absolute limit with my Compass, and I wanted something more refined and comfortable. My Cherokee even with the V6 manages better gas mileage than my Compass and Patriot got.

None of the online publications are ever going to like the MK platform, they are too busy praising the import models, always been that way and isn't going to change anytime soon.

Some days I miss my Compass on the pure fact it was unique but I have to say that i'm really enjoying my CHerokee.

#85 ·
Anyone sharing Igster's opinion of Jeep Patriot's 4x4 performance should never search "Jeep Patriot offroad" on Youtube. Don't even look at the FWD threads on this forum. As for trailering, that's not the Patriot's strong suit, but as we can see above Patriots are used by government agencies who need off-road capability, and sometimes that involves pulling boats, etc. While I've never trailered anything with my Patriots, I've approached capacity with no problems.

If he had the 2.0 I can agree that it might have problems in high gear on the hills, but that's what the lower gears are for, right? I've encountered no hills (even up north) that the Patriot 5-spd couldn't handle in 4th at highway speeds (50ish).

As for his rattles, I wonder what was in his toolbox? My Patriot is still quiet except for the tires, but that's not the vehicle's fault. With better tires its as quiet as a sleeping cat.

To anyone taking Igster's advice and looking for Patriot problems, you've got one guy who's had issues and a bunch of us rushing to the Patriot's defense. If I didn't like my Patriot it would have been gone long before this. Speaking of going, I've got to be going. I'm off and into my very dependable Patriot!

#86 ·
Owning a lemon is awful. I went through something very similar with a 2000 Ford Focus. The thing had so many issues from day one, I don't even think I can remember them all. And making payments on a vehicle that's so unreliable that you hate it, really sucks. I wound up getting rid of it once the apparently un-fixable unintended acceleration issue became an almost daily occurrence.

Basically, the car was all around terrible. But, I do recognize that a lot of Focus owners do love their cars, don't have any issues, and aren't liars in denial or something.

I'd probably hate Chrysler if I had so many problems with my Patriot.

But I don't and it's served me well for the past 9 years. I don't do serious off-roading with it but it does do well in the snow and can get me to my in-laws house down a very long, rutted out, dirt road. I can't imagine pulling any real load but I do pull an ATV, as well as a utility trailer a few times a year, and definitely overload the rear end with my hitch haul. Gas mileage isn't great but it's decent for 4WD. Cargo room is nothing amazing but the seats fold down and it's small enough to parallel park on my street.

It's a cheap, utilitarian vehicle that does a lot of things well but isn't particularly amazing in any one thing. I think this is why it's gotten so many bad reviews over the years. It doesn't really fit in one particular category -- It isn't a Wranger, an Explorer, Subaru, Civic, etc. but can fill those rolls in one way or another.

#93 ·
Hyundai Tucson prolly on a MK type platform also. Mitsubishi plays a big part in the auto world. If you did research on their presence you would see that. All manufacturers share patents and ideas not sure why they do. They do make money on that premise. Prolly why MK platform has to go. Question. Is the Dodge Journey on a MK platform.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.