Jeep Patriot* Is TTAC’s 2016 Worst Automobile Today - Page 2 - Jeep Patriot Forums
Jeep Patriot General Discussion General discussion for the Jeep Patriot

65Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #16 of 122 (permalink) Old 06-03-2016, 01:01 AM

Still trolling Igster?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #17 of 122 (permalink) Old 06-03-2016, 01:25 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by 12PatriotCVT View Post
Still trolling Igster?
So telling the truth and presenting arguments against the Patriot are considered trolling?

There are numerous people who join this forum to see if they should buy one. I think they should see both sides of the argument.

No trolling my friend.
post #18 of 122 (permalink) Old 06-03-2016, 01:50 AM

I had a '98 Grand Cherokee with 225,000 miles on it, and it died on me. I had been researching compact SUV's for a while, and yes there are a lot of options that may give you more bang for the buck, but I decided after all to just stick with Jeep. March 31st 2015 I walked into Garden City Chrysler and bought my 2015 Patriot Altitude.

Yes, all of the websites say to get a Ford Escape, or a Honda CRV, but I'm also big on aesthetic, and personally, I cannot drive something that looks like a big egg shaped shuttle craft out of a sci-fi movie. The Patriot still looks like a Jeep. Like a truck. It looks rugged, and I love looking at it every single day when I'm first unlocking those doors.

It's basic, no bluetooth, no Nav system, no excessive amount of 12v charger ports, no satellite radio, but dammit, it's still perfect for me! NYC had some brutal snow this winter, and I drove home from the city at 4am in the middle of a blizzard with my 4 wheel drive, and made it back to Queens nice and smooth...

I've got a nice Garmin, and an iPhone, so who needs a Nav? You can buy a bluetooth earpiece, so who needs a bluetooth? Heated seats? Nah, I've got cloth seats and the heat works great... Heated steering wheel? nah, i've got nice winter gloves. And again the heat works great... So a year later, no troubles, no issues...I'm up to 12,000 miles and it's still looks as new as the day i brought it home...

The Patriot may not be the trendiest, or the best value ever, but it's perfect for me...and I love mine.

Hope this helps!
RossoRacer likes this.

Last edited by Craigman8191; 06-03-2016 at 01:53 AM.
post #19 of 122 (permalink) Old 06-03-2016, 08:52 AM

I've had a lot of problems with my 09 Pat that I've outlined in other threads so the only advice I would give to someone who wants to buy a Jeep Pat (or maybe, at this point, any Jeep whatsoever) is also buy the best, most comprehensive and longest extended warranty you can afford.

While I've had a lot of expensive problems, I still kinda like my Jeep and hope everyday I am over the hump of my share of problems and will have several carefree years ahead of me with it...
post #20 of 122 (permalink) Old 06-03-2016, 09:10 AM

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by dmill89 View Post
Reliability isn't really the issue, the Patriot is consistently ranked one of Chrysler's most reliable vehicles, but the reviewers always complain that they are "outdated" (I personally think this is a plus, I hate most of the electronic crap they are putting in many newer vehicles), the "utilitarian" interior (still much improved from earlier models, and again I think is a plus, may not be as "fancy" as competitors, but holds up well), the handling (they're comparing it to crossovers with 2-3" less ground clearance and nothing resembling off-road ability), and it's general "cheapness" (it is a cheap vehicle after all, you shouldn't expect a "luxury car" level of refinement in this price range).
I totally agree! The manufacturers and reviewers seem to forget that this is a vehicle, not an airplane cockpit or a rolling home entertainment system. The best way to keep me from buying a vehicle is to show me a bunch of gadgets on the dashboard. Power mirrors, power seats, touch-screen radios, touch-screen climate control (what a distraction!), power sun visors . . . KISS! Keep It Simple, Stupid!
RossoRacer and Craigman8191 like this.
post #21 of 122 (permalink) Old 06-03-2016, 09:11 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dmill89 View Post
Reliability isn't really the issue, the Patriot is consistently ranked one of Chrysler's most reliable vehicles, but the reviewers always complain that they are "outdated" (I personally think this is a plus, I hate most of the electronic crap they are putting in many newer vehicles), the "utilitarian" interior (still much improved from earlier models, and again I think is a plus, may not be as "fancy" as competitors, but holds up well), the handling (they're comparing it to crossovers with 2-3" less ground clearance and nothing resembling off-road ability), and it's general "cheapness" (it is a cheap vehicle after all, you shouldn't expect a "luxury car" level of refinement in this price range).
Yeah iv noticed from reviews I've seen seem very biased as if from luxury critics. Like you mentioned it seems to be a lot of complan ingredient that it's has updated much from the early years and mostly about features and stuff. I could live with out al super fancy stuff, and be happy with a 4x4 with good mpg that's really affordable compared to other 4x4s.
Thanks
post #22 of 122 (permalink) Old 06-03-2016, 09:14 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Craigman8191 View Post
I had a '98 Grand Cherokee with 225,000 miles on it, and it died on me. I had been researching compact SUV's for a while, and yes there are a lot of options that may give you more bang for the buck, but I decided after all to just stick with Jeep. March 31st 2015 I walked into Garden City Chrysler and bought my 2015 Patriot Altitude.

Yes, all of the websites say to get a Ford Escape, or a Honda CRV, but I'm also big on aesthetic, and personally, I cannot drive something that looks like a big egg shaped shuttle craft out of a sci-fi movie. The Patriot still looks like a Jeep. Like a truck. It looks rugged, and I love looking at it every single day when I'm first unlocking those doors.

It's basic, no bluetooth, no Nav system, no excessive amount of 12v charger ports, no satellite radio, but dammit, it's still perfect for me! NYC had some brutal snow this winter, and I drove home from the city at 4am in the middle of a blizzard with my 4 wheel drive, and made it back to Queens nice and smooth...

I've got a nice Garmin, and an iPhone, so who needs a Nav? You can buy a bluetooth earpiece, so who needs a bluetooth? Heated seats? Nah, I've got cloth seats and the heat works great... Heated steering wheel? nah, i've got nice winter gloves. And again the heat works great... So a year later, no troubles, no issues...I'm up to 12,000 miles and it's still looks as new as the day i brought it home...

The Patriot may not be the trendiest, or the best value ever, but it's perfect for me...and I love mine.

Hope this helps!
Thabks, I understand, I don't mind not having the little features like that. Plus I live in southern california and where I am I don't have to worry about snow and cold like that haha
post #23 of 122 (permalink) Old 06-03-2016, 09:30 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Igster View Post
I knew the drones would follow and come up with all the reasons why the article is wrong. You didn't let me down guys. So expected...
Can't argue with you on this one. I lurked here a full year before joining and noticed the Subaru-like cult following. It made it difficult to assess the threads regarding reliability and caused me to dig very deep into many sources. It's very tough to ignore nearly all of the negative magazine reviews and still part with one's money for a Jeep. At my purchase time, the Forester oil consumption issue was flaming, the new Ford Escape was literally flaming (engine and many other recalls), and Honda would not budge on CRV pricing. Back then, I couldn't understand why the rags put the Forester on top without a mention of the serious oil consumption issue. Only time will tell if my Patriot ownership pleasure ends on a good note. The toughest part, for me, is dealing with the stigma surrounding the Patriot. But, not too tough. I try to "invest" as little as possible in depreciating assets, while at the same time enjoy a well maintained reliable ride. A-O-K, so far.

2014 Sport, 2wd, 2.4L, 6 speed tranny, Winter Chill

Last edited by Treegrower; 06-03-2016 at 09:38 AM.
post #24 of 122 (permalink) Old 06-03-2016, 09:38 AM

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Igster View Post
So telling the truth and presenting arguments against the Patriot are considered trolling?

There are numerous people who join this forum to see if they should buy one. I think they should see both sides of the argument.

No trolling my friend.
I think FCA did the rest of us a favor and put all their defective parts into one vehicle (yours) instead of spreading them out.

Friend of mine just traded in his Lexus with about half the miles of my Patriot, because he was looking at so many repairs he figured he was better off new. A Lexus! Bet that car gets good reviews, though. He liked his enough to buy another and I liked my Patriot enough to buy another. I betcha my two Patriots together cost less than one Lexus.

Reviews are totally subjective. Even the so-called 'scientific' studies are biased. The best way to find out the quality of a vehicle is to ask someone who's driving one.

BTW, the review said the Patriot was a Dodge Caliber with a 7-slot grill. So what's wrong with a Dodge Caliber? I'd rather have a Caliber than a Dart. So they beefed up the Dodge with more cargo capacity, lifted it a little, and gave it 4wd. Pretty clever use of resources -- why design a totally new vehicle? It might come out like the the (gulp) Renegade.

Last edited by Ignatz; 06-03-2016 at 09:41 AM.
post #25 of 122 (permalink) Old 06-03-2016, 12:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ignatz View Post
BTW, the review said the Patriot was a Dodge Caliber with a 7-slot grill. So what's wrong with a Dodge Caliber? I'd rather have a Caliber than a Dart. So they beefed up the Dodge with more cargo capacity, lifted it a little, and gave it 4wd. Pretty clever use of resources -- why design a totally new vehicle? It might come out like the the (gulp) Renegade.
Funny thing about cars and names - I doubt many actual renegades would be caught behind the wheel of a Jeep Renegade..

post #26 of 122 (permalink) Old 06-03-2016, 12:40 PM
Unsponsored Baja racer

Garage
2010, 4x4, CVT, 90,000 miles, couldn't be happier. Couple slight issues, but nothing that can't be fixed with friends and food.
Craigman8191 likes this.

Trekkie, trucker, Jeeper, potential racer. Don't touch my trumpets.
"For God so loved the world that He sent His only begotten Son, that all who believe in him might not perish but have eternal life" -John 3:16
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KOb8IEyCO1o
post #27 of 122 (permalink) Old 06-03-2016, 02:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by celt View Post
Funny thing about cars and names - I doubt many actual renegades would be caught behind the wheel of a Jeep Renegade..
Maybe not true.

Renegade:

- a person who deserts and betrays an organization, country, or set of principles.

- a person who behaves in a rebelliously unconventional manner.
RossoRacer likes this.

2014 Sport, 2wd, 2.4L, 6 speed tranny, Winter Chill
post #28 of 122 (permalink) Old 06-03-2016, 04:56 PM

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Treegrower View Post
Maybe not true.

Renegade:

- a person who deserts and betrays an organization, country, or set of principles.

- a person who behaves in a rebelliously unconventional manner.
Just about the opposite of a Patriot.
John Smeton and RossoRacer like this.
post #29 of 122 (permalink) Old 06-04-2016, 12:23 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Craigman8191 View Post

Hope this helps!
This post is exactly what I'm talking about. I don't have this, but this will compensate. It's not as good doing this but I'm OK with that. This post is full of people who buy a Jeep Patriot and "settle".

I'll never convince those who write posts like this, but I hope I stop some poor soul coming by this forum wondering if they should buy it and decide to look around a bit more.

I HATE my Patriot and can't wait until the day it's gone. Worst purchase I ever made. Dodge garbage.
post #30 of 122 (permalink) Old 06-04-2016, 10:39 AM

Articles like this have been around since the very beginning. I bought my first Patriot back in Feb '07 and there were plenty of articles ragging on it then... and has been pretty steady since. I suspect that there will continue to be negative articles even after FCA ceases production of them. I would not be surprised to see a video documentary on how the Patriot was the all-time worst vehicle to wear the "Jeep" name.

I never got why there was so much hate heaped on the Patriot, but I find it odd that the same people who trashed the Patriot in articles fell over themselves in praising the Renegade... which suffers from the same "issues" (and more) that the Patriot did that caused them to diss the Patriot in the first place.

I've had a great run with my '07 Patriot (which is now my daughter-in-law's daily driver) and my '15 Patriot is carrying on in that tradition. But that's my first-hand experience. I don't want to invalidate the experiences of those who differ from mine.

2015 Jeep Patriot, Silver, High Altitude, Auto
Previously: 2007 Jeep Patriot, Green, Limited, 4x4, CVT FDI
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jeep Patriot Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode