2011 Patriot Sport reduced gas mileage - Jeep Patriot Forums
Jeep Patriot General Discussion General discussion for the Jeep Patriot

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 22 (permalink) Old 04-04-2016, 01:01 PM Thread Starter

2011 Patriot Sport reduced gas mileage

Hello all
I have a 2011 Patriot Sport 2.4L, FWD,CVT
purchased new, drive about 325 miles a week , 250 of them highway.
I was enjoying a constant 27 mpg like clockwork(no computer calculation) just logging gallons, & miles.
Last June 2015, it was like someone turned a switch I dropped down to about 25 mpg, & progressively, worse, to now at 22.25 mpg.
I am a 57 year old male observe speed limits, try to drive in a manor that would promote good fuel economy.
I have always followed general maintenance recommendations , have ran a K&N air filter since new, washed & re-oiled on schedule , changed spark plugs as due in manual using exact oem part, cabin filter as scheduled, fuel system cleaning at the scheduled interval, recently installed original paper filter and replaced air intake temp sensor thinking I may have developed oil film on the sensor from the K&N filter.
I have also had dealer service the CVT fluid & filters 2 weeks ago at 85,000 miles.
Last summer I had them make an attempt to diagnose poor economy , I was told that every test was in speck, & that if I was getting 27 mpg I had the best Patriot ever built.
I have found the dealership in Massillon Ohio to be smug, condescending, and less than helpful.
The acceleration is somewhat hesitant.
I am now past my extended warranty, & am hoping to drive this vehicle for at least another year.
I am considering o2 sensors next, given the long history mentioned in this first post, I am seeking opinions from the experienced membership here.
Thank you in advance
Fred
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 22 (permalink) Old 04-04-2016, 01:26 PM

Send a message via AIM to Terasec Send a message via Yahoo to Terasec
i would disregard what dealer told you
FWD Pat you should be seeing more of the +27 mpg
not 22 mpg
has any other factors changed? new tires?
what spark plugs did you install?
dont think its the 02 sensors, if they were failing and out of spec they would throw a code
you can also try to reset the cpu to relearn your driving style

1). Turn ignition to Run, but do not start engine.

2). Wait for all idiot lights to turn off (last one will be the the throttle indicator - the two half-moons w/ a lightning bolt between them).

3). Over the course of 15 seconds, slowly depress the throttle all the way to the floor. Try not to waver or be too jerky, just a nice slow, smooth push.

4). Over the next 15 seconds, slowly let the throttle out in the same manner.

5). Allow car to sit for about an hour. (This is in the original procedure list, but i tried waiting just a minute and it worked anyway.)

6.) Start car and drive as you normally would.

various calibrations

Last edited by Terasec; 04-04-2016 at 01:28 PM.
post #3 of 22 (permalink) Old 04-04-2016, 01:50 PM Thread Starter

thank you Terasec
I have replaced plugs with the NGK oem ZFR5F-11 copper plugs
I have tried resetting the cpu using posted procedure (learned here four years ago)
I did get new tires a few weeks prior to logging reduced mpg, but they are normal all season radial tires correct size etc.
I also perceive a discernible hesitation in acceleration if I am somewhat aggressive with the pedal.

post #4 of 22 (permalink) Old 04-04-2016, 02:10 PM
Banned

too much fluid in the CVT/ not enough fluid in the CVT. Yes K&N, more snake oil. Like platinum plugs, big plug wires, and exhausts. They make more noise, no more power, the K&N does not filter as well, and causes issues with sensors because of oil.

Guitar Picker hey? I have a pile of those bloody things..ha ha. terrible disease. I have a full music room in my house with a full wall of guitars, amps, piano, honer organ with leslie, and a few other things.
post #5 of 22 (permalink) Old 04-04-2016, 02:46 PM Thread Starter

Kojack
almost 2 years ago I turned 56 I was devastated (the 60 side of 50 something), I had been a bluegrass picker for the last 15 years or so, I realized I was playing with and for old people, since I have rediscovered the music of my youth, and guitars so now it's Les Pauls, Telecasters small tube amps, and I think I'm 15 again oh and I think I'm Jimmy Page, good fun can be expensive though, tha's why I need to get a handle on my Patriot, it's in very good shape other than the way it's consuming fuel.
Keep picking
Fred
post #6 of 22 (permalink) Old 04-04-2016, 03:16 PM

Check to see if you have a brake dragging.
post #7 of 22 (permalink) Old 04-04-2016, 03:44 PM Thread Starter

Nan00k
thank you for the response.
I have recently had front brakes replaced and rear brakes adjusted
post #8 of 22 (permalink) Old 04-04-2016, 03:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by guitar picker View Post
thank you Terasec
I have replaced plugs with the NGK oem ZFR5F-11 copper plugs
I have tried resetting the cpu using posted procedure (learned here four years ago)
I did get new tires a few weeks prior to logging reduced mpg, but they are normal all season radial tires correct size etc.
I also perceive a discernible hesitation in acceleration if I am somewhat aggressive with the pedal.
Tires can be the difference....I put a set of Firestones on my wife's Rogue...the Continentals from the factory were getting 30-32 mpg easy. Immediately upon getting new tires (same size, type, just a different brand), I can't get it over 27 now at best. Got a deal on the tires but will lose that and more over the life of the tires in gas costs.

post #9 of 22 (permalink) Old 04-04-2016, 04:02 PM Thread Starter

thank you griff
I considered that , but have not wanted to believe that it could make that much difference, in 86,000 miles I am on my 3rd set of tires, second set were Michelin and did not wear well in my opinion, the original tires wore about as I expected for being the factory installed , they were not great on snow & ice in my opinion, I will have to look at what's on it now and get back to you later.
again thanks to all for the friendly feed back
Fred
post #10 of 22 (permalink) Old 04-04-2016, 06:19 PM

I wouldn't be scared to replace the upstream 02 sensor. The ECM uses information gathered from that sensor to calculate how much fuel the engine gets. I have seen 02 sensors go bad enough to affect fuel economy, but not set a code.

Also a new PCV valve wouldn't hurt either. There have been reports that a bad one can cause slightly poorer fuel economy.
They are cheap and easy to replace.

post #11 of 22 (permalink) Old 04-04-2016, 06:28 PM

Also I read that you didn't get great wear on your second set of tires. If I were you, I would take the vehicle down to a GOOD alignment shop and have the front and rear alignment checked.
Poor wheel alignment WILL have an effect on fuel economy.

Btw, welcome!

post #12 of 22 (permalink) Old 04-04-2016, 08:24 PM Thread Starter

thank you That Ph____r
I have read some cautions regarding using Bosch o2 sensors, opinions on same or other brands.
The tire wear on the set of Michelin's was a surprise, I kept up on rotation , and inflation, I'm a bit of a nut on that sort of thing, logged every fill up service etc.
I replaced the Michelin tires a bit early as I had picked up metal fastener outside of the safe zone for repair and I did not feel the tread would make it through a winter( as it happened we had the least amount of snow in a hundred years) so I opted to replace the whole set also the tire shop I use had a good sale price on Mastercraft Avenger Touring tires, the wear has been very even, I also had to have a worn out front strut assembly replaced under extended warranty(dealer replaced the front pair, and did front wheel alignment, at that time I opted to pay the additional for the 4 wheel alignment.I feel as though I have been very diligent in maintaining the vehicle.
I have also run numerous cans of fuel system additives regularly
post #13 of 22 (permalink) Old 04-04-2016, 08:28 PM Thread Starter

oh yes I also checked PCV and it rattles freely like a aerosol paint can
post #14 of 22 (permalink) Old 04-04-2016, 10:13 PM

Seems like you have most of your bases covered.
I have had satisfactory results using either Bosch or NTK sensors.
Try replacing the upstream one first, as the downstream one is mainly to audit the performance of the cat .

post #15 of 22 (permalink) Old 04-05-2016, 07:31 AM Thread Starter

thanks That
I gather & agree that the o2 sensor would seem to be the logical next step, I have also been told the same as to which one would be have more impact on the fuel economy.
I have lurked here since I purchased my Patriot back in 2011, I let my at the time 4 year old grandson pick out Papa's vehicle, had I done more pre purchase research I most likely would have not bought the Jeep product, with that said I have been very satisfied with the size of it, as well as the classic front end image, mine is in very good condition inside and out, even though it has rattled, creaked, had numerous dealer covered repairs, the infamous broken driver seat trim, replaced once at about 8000 miles, dealer told me it was a design flaw but would replace it once as a courteousy , it broke with in another 8000 miles or so, but at the time it seemed to be a good bang for the buck.
thanks again to all
Fred
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jeep Patriot Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode