2014 Patriot Acceleration - Page 3 - Jeep Patriot Forums
Jeep Patriot General Discussion General discussion for the Jeep Patriot

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #31 of 42 (permalink) Old 05-04-2015, 05:53 PM
Unsponsored Baja racer

Garage
Back when I went on the dragstrip, I didn't know about the roll-on or the 5k RPM so much, and got 17-second quarter miles at 80-82mph. With what I know now, I could probably cut at least a half-second off that time.

Trekkie, trucker, Jeeper, potential racer. Don't touch my trumpets.
"For God so loved the world that He sent His only begotten Son, that all who believe in him might not perish but have eternal life" -John 3:16
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KOb8IEyCO1o
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #32 of 42 (permalink) Old 05-04-2015, 06:20 PM
Major Modificator

Rosso, I used to (street) drag my turbo Daytona Shelby edition. I know how to properly launch a car. Problem is, the Jeep is programmed to ease into it no matter what. You'll never experience it going balls to wall full acceleration until you hit over 2500 rpm. Yea, I know. Its a cruiser, not a racer, but sometimes you need to jump into traffic.

post #33 of 42 (permalink) Old 05-04-2015, 06:23 PM
Cherokar!

Quote:
Originally Posted by moparnumber1 View Post
Rosso, I used to (street) drag my turbo Daytona Shelby edition. I know how to properly launch a car. Problem is, the Jeep is programmed to ease into it no matter what. You'll never experience it going balls to wall full acceleration until you hit over 2500 rpm. Yea, I know. Its a cruiser, not a racer, but sometimes you need to jump into traffic.
This, my wife's old Cruze 1.4L Turbo had the same transmission programming, it was designed to protect the tranny. You could try and brake boost from a stand still and it wouldn't do anything, no matter how hard you tried. Once it was flashed (both engine and transmission programming) you could launch like a bat out of hell.

Sadly the ecu is going to make sure nothing bad happens to the tranny, and it will never launch hard

2016 Cherokee Trailhawk V6
3.2L V6
Interior LED Conversion/LED Backup/Signal Lights
Northstar Deep Cycle AGM Battery
Noco Gen1 Mini Onboard Battery Charger
AFE Intake/Flowmaster Super 10 Muffler
245/70/17 Falken Wildpeak AT3/W

post #34 of 42 (permalink) Old 05-04-2015, 06:59 PM
Unsponsored Baja racer

Garage
I'm not saying it'll throw you back in your seat, but it can do pretty well for what it is. I've never had a problem getting up to speed and into traffic in mine.

Trekkie, trucker, Jeeper, potential racer. Don't touch my trumpets.
"For God so loved the world that He sent His only begotten Son, that all who believe in him might not perish but have eternal life" -John 3:16
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KOb8IEyCO1o
post #35 of 42 (permalink) Old 05-04-2015, 07:18 PM

Thumbs up Peppy 6 speed auto stick

I have the 6 speed auto stick,and I find my riot to be quite peppy even with the bigger heavier tires and wheels 9lbs. a corner heavier. Like RossoRacer says,I don't ram it to the boards and wait,if I do an acceleration test I roll into it then push 'er down. When I auto stick it through the gears it goes pretty darned good.

Let me put it this way when I leave a light I don't have anyone riding my rear end peed of that I am holding them up...quite the contrary in fact, when I leave a light,and look in the rear view mirror,I've pulled away substantially from the next vehicle either behind or beside....and I'm not trying to jack rabbit off of the light....just normal acceleration from a light.

It isn't very often that I max accelerate away from a light...because...well...it's a jeep...and......"you may be faster,but I can go anywhere"...is my mindset......no my riot is peppy enough,no complaints here.

Cheers,
Bill.
post #36 of 42 (permalink) Old 05-05-2015, 01:14 AM
Major Modificator

Yea, I found around 3k it starts to pick up. Im probably due for another ECU reset now that its warmer and we have summer blend fuel. I've noticed its gotten sluggish in the heat. One of these days I will get ahold of a used Centrifugal supercharger and mount it. Figure it cant hurt much at 5psi, but it would be a nice small boost in power.

post #37 of 42 (permalink) Old 05-05-2015, 02:49 AM

Nah, forget the centrifugal superchargers and turbocharging, just do a Hellcat swap and silence the critics once and for all. lol!

2015 Jeep Patriot Sport 4x2

2.0L 5-speed/Billet Silver Metallic/Power Value Group/Mopar deluxe style mud guards/Chrome Wheel Skins/Chrome Jeep plate frames/Stainless polished exhaust tip/2.0L engine cover/Homemade top strut covers/DIY chrome accents/Rugged Ridge cargo liner.
post #38 of 42 (permalink) Old 05-05-2015, 03:04 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mikos89 View Post
Nah, forget the centrifugal superchargers and turbocharging, just do a Hellcat swap and silence the critics once and for all. lol!
The guys on Roadkill are now sponsored by Dodge and last episode they were talking about getting a Hellcat engine and putting it into one of their builds.

That is YouTube worth watching!

for anyone who hasn't picked up on them, go to YouTube and search up Roadkill
Do it when you have time to waste, half hour episodes and i always seem to watch at least two per visit. Major worthy builds and then general tomfoolery and various asshattery involved in breaking things and/or killing tires.

What a lot of us would do if we had money to burn.
post #39 of 42 (permalink) Old 05-05-2015, 07:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Metaxa View Post
The guys on Roadkill are now sponsored by Dodge and last episode they were talking about getting a Hellcat engine and putting it into one of their builds.

That is YouTube worth watching!

for anyone who hasn't picked up on them, go to YouTube and search up Roadkill
Do it when you have time to waste, half hour episodes and i always seem to watch at least two per visit. Major worthy builds and then general tomfoolery and various asshattery involved in breaking things and/or killing tires.

What a lot of us would do if we had money to burn.
RV Gocart! awesome episode!
post #40 of 42 (permalink) Old 02-15-2017, 01:09 PM

Garage
Send a message via Skype™ to KeithJax
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ignatz View Post
Do you have the 2.0 or the 2.4?

I have a 2.0 manual and a 2.4 CVT (both FWD). The 2.4 CVT is definitely faster on acceleration. The 2.0 however does get better fuel economy by 1-2 mpg. Since we were making a long trip we took the 2.0 up north into the mountains this weekend and it had trouble maintaining speed on the long highway grades. Had to downshift. That was with a pretty empty vehicle except for Wifey and me. If we'd had a real load -- say a couple kids and luggage -- it probably would have been even more of a challenge.

With the 2.4/CVT, while not a dragster, it is certainly not a slow vehicle either -- I'd say about average for a CUV. I've only driven a 6spd auto once for a few hours as a loaner while Ignatz was in the shop and I do believe the CVT is better on acceleration, but not significantly.

Buying a Patriot you didn't get a dragster . . .

Back to your original question, I can't imagine how turning off traction control is going to affect acceleration. That only function if you're losing traction. You're not squealing away from the lights, are you?
It turns off the computer nanny controls so you don't loose traction and spin the tires under slick conditions.

If everything in life is coming your way, you are in the wrong lane.
post #41 of 42 (permalink) Old 02-15-2017, 02:07 PM

I've got a 2017 Patriot with the 2.4 Litre. Traded in a fast car with quick acceleration. It was a tough adjustment, but I've learned to accept the Patriot for what it is. Am pleased with the Patriot, it definitely won't win any races but that's not why I bought it.
post #42 of 42 (permalink) Old 02-15-2017, 02:41 PM

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by KeithJax View Post
It turns off the computer nanny controls so you don't loose traction and spin the tires under slick conditions.
That's one of those inventions designed for the ignorant. Anyone who thinks stomping harder on the gas when the wheels are spinning will benefit from the "feature." It also has an idiot light to inform the person stomping on the gas that they are . . . well . . . an idiot.

When engaged it works by braking the wheel that is spinning, and of course braking works against acceleration.
When its off it lets the spinning wheel spin (wasn't that a song?) so the tire with the least traction is getting the most power, again, a problem for acceleration.
Conclusion: traction control on or off will not improve acceleration.

Hey, KeithJax, that was your first post. Welcome to the site! Please introduce yourself to the others: Newbie Check-In - Jeep Patriot Forums
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jeep Patriot Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode