2014 Patriot Acceleration - Page 2 - Jeep Patriot Forums
Jeep Patriot General Discussion General discussion for the Jeep Patriot

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #16 of 42 (permalink) Old 04-29-2015, 09:21 AM

Mine is fine. Not a speed racer but is ok when taking off.
Could it be the type of gas your using ??

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #17 of 42 (permalink) Old 04-29-2015, 10:49 AM

It's plenty peppy for me for its size and I have the 6-speed too.

I was driving a 2004 Mitsubishi Lancer Ralliart that on paper only weighs 500 or so lbs less, ran a 2.4L engine also. The lancer was a 5-speed manual though. Lancer had 162hp and 162 ft-lbs of torque, Jeep has 172 hp and 165 ft-lbs of torque. That being said and weight being taken into account, the patriot pleasantly surprised me on the pep.

I also knew I wasn't getting a sporty car
post #18 of 42 (permalink) Old 04-30-2015, 12:01 AM

I test drove a 6-speed auto 2.4L 4wd 2015 Patriot prior to purchasing what I eventually ended up with (2.0L/5sp/2wd) and it felt rather sluggish. On the other hand, the 2.0L/5sp/2wd that I now have feels pretty darn peppy and I have no problems getting out in front of the pack so to speak at stop lights. So, I am not sure what the people who complain about acceleration on these vehicles here, particularly the 2.0L/5-speed combo, are used to driving. Perhaps Z06 Corvettes? LOL

Maybe the automatic transmission and 4wd saps a lot more power from the engine? I do know that the 5-speed manual seems to work a lot better since you have more control over the powerband. On the freeway, it gets up to speed surprisingly fast too once you get going. This surprised me the most.

If the 2.0L 5-speed feels like this, I can only imagine what the larger 2.4L with 20lb-ft plus more torque feels like in a 5-speed 2wd configuration . So, this makes me think the automatic combined with the 4wd is not geared/programmed properly for these engines.

Last edited by Mikos89; 04-30-2015 at 12:28 AM. Reason: spelling

post #19 of 42 (permalink) Old 04-30-2015, 01:11 AM
Major Modificator

The auto ones are definitely more sluggish. Especially the CVT's. They have an antivibration feature to save the belt's lifespan. Its impossible to "launch" off the start with a cvt. You can even rev it up to 4k, slam it in drive, and it will slowly ease into gear like a student driver learning to drive a clutch lol

post #20 of 42 (permalink) Old 04-30-2015, 01:42 AM

I still wouldn't say the Auto 6-speed is sluggish. CTV being sluggish, I can believe, never have been a fan of CTV. Let's face it, the patriot isn't meant for taking off the line, however it holds it own getting up to speed. Would I rather have had a 5spd 2.4 patriot.... Yes, because I've always driven stick. However, I got a steal on mine, it's a six speed auto and it impressed me.
post #21 of 42 (permalink) Old 04-30-2015, 06:07 AM
Major Modificator

I've almost gotten in wrecks twice jumping out into traffic because my Jeep feels the need to limit my throttle to about 25% or less until I hit 2500 rpm randomly. No Idea why, and I know I'm not the only one. Dealer can't do anything about it because there are no error codes. These are the times when I found out neutral-slamming it does nothing. I even posted a vid of it a while ago I can post it up if anybody wants to see.

post #22 of 42 (permalink) Old 04-30-2015, 08:35 AM

Also this is a Jeep, Jeeps have a high "tip in"? I think it's called. Basically if you're driving down a bumpy road and your foot quickly presses and releases the throttle it is ignored to prevent you from surging ahead when all you did was hit a bump. Also the throttle may not be linear, sometimes I swear it takes 3/4 of the pedal travel to get something other than light purring. Then the last 1/4 is fairly rapid. If you want more power apply more pedal and hold it there. It seems like some people are afraid to push more than 1/2 way.
post #23 of 42 (permalink) Old 04-30-2015, 10:32 AM

I find my CVT to be quite responsive. My wife's 6spd. is a different animal, but also very responsive.
post #24 of 42 (permalink) Old 04-30-2015, 12:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wooden Dog View Post
5-speed manual. Still not a drag racer, but about as quick as most other CUV's....
Yes indeed...& that's the reason I went for the manual for my '14 Pat.
That plus I've only had stick on all my vehicles over the years. I prefer it, period. I was hooked on stick since my first vehicle...a '66 GTO so long ago.

live long & prosper...
post #25 of 42 (permalink) Old 04-30-2015, 06:18 PM

I'm coming from my old XR4Ti that was heavily modified and pushing 30psi of boost through a radiator sized intercooler... so pretty much any car that that I can afford feels extremely slow in comparison

That said - I've gotten used to the low horsepower/torque from the 2.4L/CVT combo... It isn't fast but it certainly isn't the slowest vehicle off the line - especially if you're accelerating at part throttle to remain fuel efficient.
The part that bothers me is that it is kind of inconsistent - some times it has a lot of pep, other times it just doesn't want to go.
One strange thing I noticed is that after a really long road trip it actually seemed more responsive and "peppy" while driving around town. Not sure why that would have been the case... but there was a definite difference.

-Aaron

Click the pic for "build thread"
post #26 of 42 (permalink) Old 05-01-2015, 06:33 AM

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Murphy Slaw View Post
Yep.

I outran a Corvette the other day with my 2015, 2.4, 6 speed.

I don't get these complaints either........
I wonder what was wrong with the Corvette? Maybe he was bringing a bowl of goldfish home to his kids.

Or did you misspell Chevette?

When I had my Grand Prix I got beat away from a light by a dumpy old Ford -- that's when I realized my catalytic converter was plugged.

Last edited by Ignatz; 05-01-2015 at 11:14 AM.
post #27 of 42 (permalink) Old 05-01-2015, 10:55 AM
Unsponsored Baja racer

Garage
Or maybe the Corvette wasn't trying. When bobtailing an 18-wheeler I often had fun beating folks off the line at stoplights, but had they stepped on their pedals harder, most if not all could have easily beaten me.

Trekkie, trucker, Jeeper, potential racer. Don't touch my trumpets.
"For God so loved the world that He sent His only begotten Son, that all who believe in him might not perish but have eternal life" -John 3:16
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KOb8IEyCO1o
post #28 of 42 (permalink) Old 05-04-2015, 01:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by moparnumber1 View Post
The auto ones are definitely more sluggish. Especially the CVT's. They have an antivibration feature to save the belt's lifespan. Its impossible to "launch" off the start with a cvt. You can even rev it up to 4k, slam it in drive, and it will slowly ease into gear like a student driver learning to drive a clutch lol
So true...you can hit the brakes, push the pedal to the floor, auto-stick in 1, and TC fully off, anddddd still nothing exciting. It'll just mosey off the line, maybe even slower than just mashing the pedal in "D" off of the line.

The only way I've (accidentally) been able to "launch" my Patriot is to change from driving in reverse to drive and then push the pedal to the floor. It'll kick in pretty good but then seems to have a lag to compensate.

Street Yuppie That Ain't Afraid To Kick It Into 4 Wheel

MODS: Black Billet 14" Antenna, Plasti-Dipped Emblems, Tinted Windows, Red LED Dome Lights, Draw Tite Class III/IV Receiver Hitch, Rugged Ridge Floor Mats, Alpine/JL Audio Build (Pushing 1500W RMS to 11 speakers running off of 2 batteries)

Keeping it a REAL JEEP since 11/9/15: Pro Comp 7032 16x8 Wheels, 225/75R16 Goodyear Wrangler Duratracs, RRO 2 1/8" lift kit.
post #29 of 42 (permalink) Old 05-04-2015, 04:20 PM
Unsponsored Baja racer

Garage
So many of you still seem to be working under the assumption that just stomping on a CVT and holding it all the way to the floor gives the best response....it doesn't. Try letting off the brakes and gently rolling onto the throttle, not glacial-slow but not stomping. Find where you need to hold the pedal to keep that CVT at 5k RPMs all the way up to 55mph(or 65-70mph on a freeway), and it'll work much better for you.

Trekkie, trucker, Jeeper, potential racer. Don't touch my trumpets.
"For God so loved the world that He sent His only begotten Son, that all who believe in him might not perish but have eternal life" -John 3:16
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KOb8IEyCO1o
post #30 of 42 (permalink) Old 05-04-2015, 05:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RossoRacer View Post
So many of you still seem to be working under the assumption that just stomping on a CVT and holding it all the way to the floor gives the best response....it doesn't. Try letting off the brakes and gently rolling onto the throttle, not glacial-slow but not stomping. Find where you need to hold the pedal to keep that CVT at 5k RPMs all the way up to 55mph(or 65-70mph on a freeway), and it'll work much better for you.
I'll drag race you for a McDonald's ice cream cone!

I've noticed that if you do a 0-60 or quarter mile the 2nd and 3rd time you do them they are much faster than the first. It's like the computer recognizes you aren't going for fuel efficiency anymore and lets the throttle loosen up. With a running weight of 4200lbs:

Edit: It used to be around 10 seconds for the 0-60.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jeep Patriot Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode