(Official) Commonly Asked Questions - Jeep Patriot Forums
Jeep Patriot General Discussion General discussion for the Jeep Patriot

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 42 (permalink) Old 10-21-2014, 08:54 AM Thread Starter
Not Sponsored

(Official) Commonly Asked Questions

Have a question about a strange noise your patriot is making? Wondering what size tires fit? Below will be all these questions and answers we are trying to help owners get to the bottom of without searching through thousands of dead threads and provide WELL ANSWERED responses.

Please keep the arguments out of this thread, this is JUST for questions and answers. If you have a question that would fit good hear, please feel free to post it and once answered it will be added to the list.

Let's get started!

General Questions:

Q: How do I upload pictures to a post?
A: The easiest way is to create an account on photobucket, imgur, or flickr and upload pictures to it. They will provide you a link to copy and paste into the thread using the img tags, or press the "link image" and paste the link.

Q: I am experiencing a squeaking sound coming from the front of my patriot when I go over bumps, what could it be?
A: Check the front ball joints, the stock ball joints are a faulty point and tend to go out every 40,000 miles. Most users replace with a MOOG replacement part, and have much longer life. Heckler made a great write up on replacing the ball joints, HERE.

Q: What's the biggest size tire I can run STOCK?
A: 225/65/17 if you have the factory 17s, or 225/70/16 if you have the factory 16 are the biggest sizes you can go without any rub on suspension, and the wheel arches without any lift kit, or spacers.

Q: Where do I buy hood louvers for my patriot?
A: Rocky Road Outfitters currently sells hood louvers for our patriots, and pictures can be found in RossoRacer's build thread around page 12.

Q: How do I change my oil by myself?
A: Check out these tips on changing your oil, as well as directions HERE.

Q: How do I change my spark plugs by myself?
A: Check out these step by step directions on changing the sparkplugs HERE.

Q: How do I change my cabin air filter?
A: Check out these step by step directions with pictures for the cabin air filter, behind the glove box HERE.

Lifting Questions:

Q: What lift kits are available for purchasing?
A: Current 2 main lifts are offered for our patriots STU's Coil lift (2" spring lift) and RRO's spacer lift (2 1/8" spacer lift.

Q: What's the biggest size tire I can run WITH a lift on stock wheels?
A: Max lifted tire on stock rims with 1.25" spacer is 245/65-17 - without spacer we recommend not going wider than 225 due to the new suspension geometry with the lift.

Q: How do I go about doing the pinch weld mod my patriot?
A: Take a box cutter, cut off the plastic hump from the wheel well plastic, then take a good hammer and proceed to hit until pinch has been folded over. Optional: spray paint the pinch weld once folded to avoid any rusting spots from developing.

Q: I saw people with skidplates for offroading, where can I read about the installation process?
A: In this thread, you can see the discussion leading up to the install, and part numbers. The install begins around page 8 if you don't want to read through. Click here for the thread

Q: Do I need camber adjustment arms after lifting?
A: Various answers have been given for this question, but the general consensus is to purchase them for safe measures. Without the arms you run a risk of being unable to properly obtain an alignment which will lead to premature wear on the tires.

Q: Do I need an alignment after lifting my patriot?
A: YES, YES, YES. You need an alignment after any adjustment of the suspension.

Q: Do 15" rims fit? Will any from older Jeeps (XJ, TJ, etc.) work?
A: Yes! Quite a few do, check out these two topics for some more detailed information. HERE and HERE.

Q: Is there a way to add sway bar quick disconnects?
A: Of course! It's a jeep, so HERE you go!

Lowering Questions:

Q: How do I lower my patriot?
A: Currently, the easiest way to achieve about 2" of drop would be H&R's H&R's for sale at Tunerdepot. They can be found else where, just a place to start. Or, you can purchase a coilover setup for the Dodge Caliber SRT4 and spend some time making that work.

Q: Do I need camber adjustment arms after lowering?
A: YES. Without the arms you run a risk of being unable to properly obtain an alignment which will lead to premature wear on the tires. Our stock patriots do not handle lowering well, and camber arms should be purchased.

Q: Do I need an alignment after lowering my patriot?
A: YES, YES, YES. You need an alignment after any adjustment of the suspension.

Q: How can I get my patriot as low as Creation?
A: Creation is lowered on a set of custom modified BC coilovers and universal bags, adjustable camber arms, and lots of cutting and bending. If this doesn't sound fun for you, I'd suggest staying away. Creation made a response to his FAQ's in his build thread to address specific questions he gets often, Click here to find out.

Q: How do I bag my patriot?
A: Air Suspension Installation - Creation - Jeep Patriot Forums

Last edited by Sandstone; 08-25-2016 at 01:18 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 42 (permalink) Old 10-21-2014, 08:55 AM Thread Starter
Not Sponsored

I will be updating this throughout the day, as my time schedule allows. My goal is to get a majority of the sections questions written, and then find/create answers afterwards.

Last edited by Creation; 10-21-2014 at 09:10 AM.
post #3 of 42 (permalink) Old 10-21-2014, 09:15 AM

Without a lift the max tire size is 225/65R17 if you want no rub at full lock.

Street Yuppie That Ain't Afraid To Kick It Into 4 Wheel

MODS: Black Billet 14" Antenna, Plasti-Dipped Emblems, Tinted Windows, Red LED Dome Lights, Draw Tite Class III/IV Receiver Hitch, Rugged Ridge Floor Mats, Alpine/JL Audio Build (Pushing 1500W RMS to 11 speakers running off of 2 batteries)

Keeping it a REAL JEEP since 11/9/15: Pro Comp 7032 16x8 Wheels, 225/75R16 Goodyear Wrangler Duratracs, RRO 2 1/8" lift kit.
post #4 of 42 (permalink) Old 10-21-2014, 09:24 AM Thread Starter
Not Sponsored

Quote:
Originally Posted by The4WDPatriot View Post
Without a lift the max tire size is 225/65R17 if you want no rub at full lock.
Thank you. Added!

post #5 of 42 (permalink) Old 10-21-2014, 09:36 AM
Unsponsored Baja racer

Garage
Those who want a ride as cool as mine....it's not possible. There is no such thing. Louvers were ordered from Rocky Road, then installed by the local body shop at a total cost of $270 for installation. Price of louvers depends on shipping cost to individual location. I personally run a Midland 1001z CB radio, though Cobra has one or two models of similar size. Go much bigger, and it'll be a little crowded in a Patriot. Trumpets from a Wolo musical air horn can be easily secured to the engine cover if you predrill the right size hole, just make sure to leave room for the oil fill hole. "Front plate install kit" or whatever the dealership calls it(for pre-2011 models) is just two specially-made license plate screws to put a vanity plate, or front license plate as required, on the front bumper. For those who want to install a magnet-mount CB antenna, the two best locations are at the front of the roof ridges, or the top of the liftgate, centered either way. Keep in mind though, if you could be going into a low-clearance situation, best to put the antenna up front so it can be knocked over. If put on top of the liftgate, there's less extra wire and the antenna would be more likely to just break. Either way, might wanna keep a bottle of touch-up paint handy. "It's a Jeep Thing...You wouldn't understand" stickers and other fun items can be gotten from www.allthingsjeep.com. Or at least that's where I got mine.

Trekkie, trucker, Jeeper, potential racer. Don't touch my trumpets.
"For God so loved the world that He sent His only begotten Son, that all who believe in him might not perish but have eternal life" -John 3:16
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KOb8IEyCO1o
post #6 of 42 (permalink) Old 10-21-2014, 09:50 AM Thread Starter
Not Sponsored

I added the RRO louvers to the Q/A's. CB's are questionable, as it comes down to preference so I'd prefer not to add them since everyone's opinion is different.

post #7 of 42 (permalink) Old 10-21-2014, 10:37 AM

Garage
Biggest size tires that fit a 16" rim? I know it's here somewhere

How to change oil, and sparkplugs. Again I know it's here somewhere

You can go fast, but I can go anywhere
post #8 of 42 (permalink) Old 10-21-2014, 11:01 AM Thread Starter
Not Sponsored

Quote:
Originally Posted by dixiedawg View Post

There all here somewhere, I've spent a majority of the morning digging through threads so I stopped for a break to do some homework. This list should be pretty big when it's "finished" I'll make sure I address both suggestions.

post #9 of 42 (permalink) Old 10-21-2014, 11:42 AM

Max lifted tire on stock rims with 1.25" spacer is 245/65-17 - without spacer or after market rim I wouldn't go wider than 225 as the wheel is pulled closer to the strut with the lift installed.

alignment is recommended at a place that does work and alignments often on lifted vehicles. Most places just use factory #'s, which are no good after a lift is installed.

2012 FDII Patriot - Sold
1989 Cherokee Pioneer - 3.5" MC lift
http://aicproductionblog.com/support-this-page/
http://www.youtube.com/c/aicoffroadvideo
post #10 of 42 (permalink) Old 10-21-2014, 11:45 AM
2012 POTY

Feel free to delete afterwards. The biggest 16" tire without mods and no rub is 225/70/16.

"Jeep isn't just another vehicle, it's the lifestyle."

TJN's Build Thread

TJN's Tour
post #11 of 42 (permalink) Old 10-21-2014, 11:59 AM

https://imgur.com/ is a great place to put pictures as well.

2012 FDII Patriot - Sold
1989 Cherokee Pioneer - 3.5" MC lift
http://aicproductionblog.com/support-this-page/
http://www.youtube.com/c/aicoffroadvideo
post #12 of 42 (permalink) Old 10-21-2014, 12:12 PM Thread Starter
Not Sponsored

Added all of this information! Thanks for the help guys.

Quote:
Originally Posted by aroundincircles View Post
Max lifted tire on stock rims with 1.25" spacer is 245/65-17 - without spacer or after market rim I wouldn't go wider than 225 as the wheel is pulled closer to the strut with the lift installed.

alignment is recommended at a place that does work and alignments often on lifted vehicles. Most places just use factory #'s, which are no good after a lift is installed.
Quote:
Originally Posted by aroundincircles View Post
https://imgur.com/ is a great place to put pictures as well.
Quote:
Originally Posted by the_jeep_now View Post
Feel free to delete afterwards. The biggest 16" tire without mods and no rub is 225/70/16.

post #13 of 42 (permalink) Old 10-21-2014, 12:24 PM Thread Starter
Not Sponsored

Quote:
Originally Posted by dixiedawg View Post

Added spark plugs, and oil changes per Dixie's suggestion.

Also, added cabin air filter link.

Last edited by Creation; 10-21-2014 at 12:28 PM.
post #14 of 42 (permalink) Old 10-21-2014, 12:39 PM
Unsponsored Baja racer

Garage
Yeah, was just mentioning that anything much bigger than a 1001Z can make it crowded. You'd wanna consider the size of the unit, type of antenna and mounting location for both.

Trekkie, trucker, Jeeper, potential racer. Don't touch my trumpets.
"For God so loved the world that He sent His only begotten Son, that all who believe in him might not perish but have eternal life" -John 3:16
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KOb8IEyCO1o
post #15 of 42 (permalink) Old 10-21-2014, 02:14 PM
2012 POTY

Now how about "sticky" this thread so it shows up on the top of the forum.

"Jeep isn't just another vehicle, it's the lifestyle."

TJN's Build Thread

TJN's Tour
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jeep Patriot Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode