Oil Change Question/s - Jeep Patriot Forums
Jeep Patriot General Discussion General discussion for the Jeep Patriot

1Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 91 (permalink) Old 10-17-2014, 07:52 AM Thread Starter

Oil Change Question/s

For your oil changes do you go by the recommended oil change schedule or do you change or have your oil & filter changed sooner ?

I'm considering switching to full synthetic oil and taking my wifeys Jeep in every 4,000 miles for oil & filter changes.

2014 Jeep Patriot Sport 4x4
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 91 (permalink) Old 10-17-2014, 08:01 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GBrown View Post
For your oil changes do you go by the recommended oil change schedule or do you change or have your oil & filter changed sooner ?

I'm considering switching to full synthetic oil and taking my wifeys Jeep in every 4,000 miles for oil & filter changes.
I change our Patriots' oil (Pennzoil Ultra Platinum 5w20, factory filter) every six months or 4-5,000 miles, usually coordinating with a tire rotation.
post #3 of 91 (permalink) Old 10-17-2014, 08:18 AM
Banned

I use full synthetic oil.5w-20 whatever "known name brand" is cheapest on the shelf that day and a purolator oil filter. I use to change it every 6000mi but here recently i started to change every 7000-8000mi instead.I figure i had better get my moneys worth out of the high dollar synthetic oil.I never go by the "change oil reminder" that pops up in the instrument cluster either.That message is so full of BS.

post #4 of 91 (permalink) Old 10-17-2014, 08:34 AM

Asking oil change questions is akin to asking about sex/religion/politics!

Today's oils are so far advanced compared to just 10 or more years ago. Conventional group 2+ oil is closing the gap on synthetic group 3.

Today's engines are much easier on oil with their computer controlled fuel injection, etc. ("average" daily driver car).

Oil life monitors are very sophisticated, although there have been a few instances where mfg. readjusted theirs down because they were too optimistic.

Change interval can vary widely based on vehicle and driving styles.

I am using the oil life moniter in my pat, but I will not go over 7K miles with synthetic.

Unless you are doing extreme conditions, synthetic for 4K miles is a waste, as a conventional could handle that easily (assuming non-extreme driving).

The only real way to know is to do a used oil analysis to determine the oil condition after a change.

Good luck.
post #5 of 91 (permalink) Old 10-17-2014, 10:44 AM
2012 POTY

Using full synthetic and changing every 6k miles. I believe your mileage interval is 10k miles for 2014 model.

"Jeep isn't just another vehicle, it's the lifestyle."

TJN's Build Thread

TJN's Tour
post #6 of 91 (permalink) Old 10-17-2014, 11:03 AM

My "fully synthetic" oil (Pennzoil Ultra Platinum) is getting quite brown after about 4,500 miles. Also, my wife's Pat and mine are using about 1/2 quart during this interval, although we are both under 7,000 miles on our new Jeeps (her, 6,500, mine, 4,500). I just put in the 1/2 quart left over from the initial oil change requiring 4.5qts. and get through to the next change. I am hoping that the oil consumption is normal for our new engines, but wonder when the engine will be fully broken in and not consuming oil.

We followed the manual's instruction recommending low speeds the first 60 miles, then varied speed and rpms for the first 300. I replaced both our oils at 1,000 miles and hers again at ~5,000 with a tire rotation.

I have read that so-called fully synthetic oils are not actually, "fully-synthetic." Given this, the fact that we live in Central New York state and don't put more than 5,000 miles on our Jeeps every six months, I'll spend my time and money on our do-it-ourselves oil change at these intervals and record it as a piece-of-mind investment. I simply would never stretch an oil change beyond these intervals, let alone 10,000 miles
post #7 of 91 (permalink) Old 10-17-2014, 12:46 PM

I go 5,000 on Mobil 5000 5-w30 and Napa Gold filter. I bought my Jeep with 29,000 miles on it, it has 165,000 on it now. Must be doing something right The oil life monitor usually goes off within 1,000 mile of me changing it.
post #8 of 91 (permalink) Old 10-17-2014, 10:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Treegrower View Post
Asking oil change questions is akin to asking about sex/religion/politics!

Today's oils are so far advanced compared to just 10 or more years ago. Conventional group 2+ oil is closing the gap on synthetic group 3.

Today's engines are much easier on oil with their computer controlled fuel injection, etc. ("average" daily driver car).

Oil life monitors are very sophisticated, although there have been a few instances where mfg. readjusted theirs down because they were too optimistic.

Change interval can vary widely based on vehicle and driving styles.

I am using the oil life moniter in my pat, but I will not go over 7K miles with synthetic.

Unless you are doing extreme conditions, synthetic for 4K miles is a waste, as a conventional could handle that easily (assuming non-extreme driving).

The only real way to know is to do a used oil analysis to determine the oil condition after a change.

Good luck.
Many high end cars routinely go over 10000 on regular and 15000 on synthetic. My 13 Accord clicked the light on at around 9000 mostly hwy miles and my old BMW an 05 called for 15000 on the Bmw approved full synthetic. No problems with either.
Quote:
Originally Posted by O'DubhGhaill View Post
My "fully synthetic" oil (Pennzoil Ultra Platinum) is getting quite brown after about 4,500 miles. Also, my wife's Pat and mine are using about 1/2 quart during this interval, although we are both under 7,000 miles on our new Jeeps (her, 6,500, mine, 4,500). I just put in the 1/2 quart left over from the initial oil change requiring 4.5qts. and get through to the next change. I am hoping that the oil consumption is normal for our new engines, but wonder when the engine will be fully broken in and not consuming oil.

We followed the manual's instruction recommending low speeds the first 60 miles, then varied speed and rpms for the first 300. I replaced both our oils at 1,000 miles and hers again at ~5,000 with a tire rotation.

I have read that so-called fully synthetic oils are not actually, "fully-synthetic." Given this, the fact that we live in Central New York state and don't put more than 5,000 miles on our Jeeps every six months, I'll spend my time and money on our do-it-ourselves oil change at these intervals and record it as a piece-of-mind investment. I simply would never stretch an oil change beyond these intervals, let alone 10,000 miles
Color of oil means nothing. The ambulances I used to service and both my diesel MBZ turned the oil black as soon as you fired them up.
post #9 of 91 (permalink) Old 10-18-2014, 01:15 AM

Im going 10,000km on full synthetic pennzoil usually.
post #10 of 91 (permalink) Old 10-18-2014, 01:54 PM

Garage
I go 3 months / 5000 miles with conventional motor oil.
post #11 of 91 (permalink) Old 10-18-2014, 04:48 PM

Ive always run 5000mi on my daily driver and 3000 on my stang if i was racing it alot during that period, 10000 seems insane

My Build Thread
McGuire AFB, NJ
post #12 of 91 (permalink) Old 10-19-2014, 11:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by O'DubhGhaill View Post
we are both under 7,000 miles on our new Jeeps (her, 6,500, mine, 4,500).
I remember when we both bought our 2014's at about the same time....I run Mobil one full syn 5-30 with a WIX oil filter and I will change it once a year which for me is about 4 to 5K miles....What ever the gauge on the dash says is meaningless to me......I also changed mine to Syn at 1,000 miles and I currently have 2,200 miles on mine....Hope your liking yours as much as I do mine!

2014 4x4 Black latitude 6-SP Auto 2.4L / Dark Slate Gray Interior
Package 2GB / TTP Group / Uconnect 430/HDD
Security & Cargo Group / Premium Sound Group
post #13 of 91 (permalink) Old 10-19-2014, 12:57 PM

Bumblebee, I do remember! Our Pats rolled off the line within a day or two of final production. My wife and I love our Pats.
post #14 of 91 (permalink) Old 11-06-2014, 11:30 AM
Mopar or no car!!!

Every 5000 keeps in simple. I was using Valvoline Full Syn for the first 35,000 miles and switched to Royal Purple soon after that. I have gone 7000 miles before once using Royal Purple and it seemed alright but I was a little nervous. Since I live in a hot climate I will likely stick to my 5000 mile service. Spend a little extra on a nice filter too if you can.

Every other oil change I do a tire rotation and check a few other things.

2013 Jeep Patriot Limited, 2WD, CVT, 2.4L, uConnect230 --- K&N filter, Curt Class III Hitch w/ Spare Bumper, Mopar Oil Cooler, Cooper AT3 225/70/16, Boston Acoustics 6x9", JBL Tweeters, GTMat, Kicker Hideaway 8", Viper 2-way Alarm, Fiamm FWY Blaster Horn, Cobra DX19IV CB Radio, 20% Front Tint, 5% Rear Tint, Rugged Ridge mats, Splash Guards, Philips Xtreme Headlights, DD XML2 Fog Lights 5000k, Optima Red Top, Front Tow Hooks, JEEPPATRIOT.COM sticker
post #15 of 91 (permalink) Old 11-09-2014, 05:58 PM

I go by the manual. I do mostly highway miles. Every 8k the change oil warning normally comes on at about 7500-7800 This is the first car that I haven't used synthetic I am doing this only to cut costs. Hopefully I won't regret that
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jeep Patriot Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode