Oil Change Question/s - Page 6 - Jeep Patriot Forums
Jeep Patriot General Discussion General discussion for the Jeep Patriot

1Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #76 of 91 (permalink) Old 01-15-2016, 11:30 PM

i dont have an evic. there is still a light/message? it has never come on for me, never had to reset it. i changed the oil at about 3500mi, and right now am sitting at ~6500mi getting ready to do it again (just turned 2yr old).
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #77 of 91 (permalink) Old 01-16-2016, 12:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by daveyp225 View Post
i dont have an evic. there is still a light/message? it has never come on for me, never had to reset it. i changed the oil at about 3500mi, and right now am sitting at ~6500mi getting ready to do it again (just turned 2yr old).
yes, a message will display in the odometer display. Turn the key to on (but don't start the engine), and press the accelerator 3 times within 10 seconds to reset it. It is in the manual, but not the easiest to find (under "instrument cluster warnings" I believe).
post #78 of 91 (permalink) Old 01-20-2016, 05:14 PM

FROM THE MANUFACTURER

I contacted customer care because my dealer was insisting on oil changed 3m/5000km due to the fact ( as per dealer)They are built to fail after warranty is up.
Dealer said that the oil message light was just a timer & not to pay attention to it
As per attached letter from FIAT CHRYSLER, it could be more than a timer.

Dealer appears to be missinformed, or am I ?
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	KSCN0001c.jpg
Views:	140
Size:	33.8 KB
ID:	61353  

post #79 of 91 (permalink) Old 01-20-2016, 06:23 PM

I do have a question about that the letter "Stinky" posted.
Does the sentence near the end say "If no severe indicators are identified, the system will wait to activate the reminder at 16000 kms"?
The image comes out a bit fuzzy, so I can't tell if it says 16k or 15k.

The owner's manual says NEVER to EXCEED 16,000 kms!
So if the system would wait till 16,000kms to activate the light, you would have to stop right then, and change the oil, wherever you might be when that happens.

Wouldn't you risk jeopardizing your warranty by changing your oil at say, 16,105kms?

post #80 of 91 (permalink) Old 01-20-2016, 07:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by stinky View Post
I contacted customer care because my dealer was insisting on oil changed 3m/5000km due to the fact ( as per dealer)They are built to fail after warranty is up.
Dealer said that the oil message light was just a timer & not to pay attention to it

Your dealer is full of crap. The oil-change "message/reminder" monitors a bunch of parameters about how you drive (highway vs. stop and go, etc.) temperature, heat cycles, etc. to determine when the oil needs changed and is much more than just a simple "timer".

With modern oil 3k mi is excessive in all but the harshest conditions, 5k mi is more realistic for modern oil, and you can likely go at least 7-8K mi if not more on synthetic (though this will be generally limited by filter capacity and contamination rather than actual breakdown of the oil).

You do however need to change your oil at least once a year, regardless of mileage, both due to oxidation (less of an issue in synthetics) and breakdown of the filter (if your filter has a paper element like most do), since the paper element will break down over time and can come apart and do damage (all the "crud and pieces of the element going through the engine) if left go too long.
post #81 of 91 (permalink) Old 01-21-2016, 05:42 PM

I don't know why the image is not clear
but it does say 16000km
post #82 of 91 (permalink) Old 01-22-2016, 06:41 PM

Quote:
I don't know why the image is not clear
but it does say 16000km
That is kind of strange, especially with the stern warning in the owner manual NEVER to exceed 16,000 kms!

post #83 of 91 (permalink) Old 01-26-2016, 12:37 PM

Quote:

Hey stinky,

According to the 2015 Jeep Patriot owner’s manual, on pg. 532 it states, “scheduled maintenance. Based on engine operation conditions, the oil change indicator message will illuminate. This means that service is required for your vehicle. Operating conditions such as frequent short-trips, trailer tow, extremely hot or cold ambient temperatures will influence when the “Change Oil” or “Oil Change Required” message is displayed. Severe Operating Conditions can cause the change oil message to illuminate as early as 3,500 miles (5,600 km) since last reset. Have your vehicle serviced as soon as possible, within the next 500 miles (805 km). Change Engine Oil at 4000 miles (6,500 km) if the vehicle is operated in a dusty and off road environment. This type of vehicle use is considered Severe Duty.”
post #84 of 91 (permalink) Old 02-27-2016, 09:51 AM

Quote:

Our mechanic told us that it was just a timer as well on my wife's Malibu lease. Damn oil change indicator 1st came on with only 1700 miles on it. It gives a % of oil life left. Mechanic said it was Chevy's way of getting extra $$. The joke is that GM has an approved list of oils but Valvoline's NOT on it. When I called Valvoline and they said that if they paid them GM would add them to the list ! It's all about the Benjamins.
I only use Valvoline with the NAPA Gold filter (made by Wix) and have never had any engine problems in 47 years of car ownership. I change oil at 3,500 with the conventional oil and 5000 with the Duralube blend.
post #85 of 91 (permalink) Old 03-05-2016, 05:52 PM

Good evening gentlemen.I am new here so if I do or say somethin out of place,please forgive me.Ya see,I'm not very bright!! lol lol Anyways,regarding the oil change,I bought my wife a brandy new 2015 Patriot Altitude 4X4,with a 2.4 motor,with an automatic 6 speed, last April and just did my very first oil/filter change on it this AM as it only has alittle over 4000 miles showing on the clock.I used a Wix filter and 5/30 Dino oil,which is what I use in my 2014 Tacoma truck and the wife's previous 1999 Cherokee and 2010 Liberty,[both bought brandy new] the Liberty being the vehicle we traded in on the new Patriot.Infact,I use Dino oil in everything I own.So unless you do a lot of city or shot hop driving,4-5000 mile intervals should be about right.Hence if ya do a lot of miles over a short period of time, you can extend that interval even more.But if you do short mileage,like all city driving,then ya might wanna change it at 2500-3000 mile intervals.Oh I forgot to mention that I am a retired automotive equipment mechanic,retiring from my last place of employment after 35 years.But I still dable in the business which I've been in now for a total of 61 years.[I'm just a kid!! lol lol ] So like I said,I'm not very bright!! lol lol Hope that atleast gives ya a direction to go in regarding oil change intervals!! Dave!!!
post #86 of 91 (permalink) Old 03-14-2016, 05:54 PM

Aight, so my change oil light came on around 6,100m so I brought it in to the dealer, I had a free oil change from when I purchased my 2015 last year. Now I'm at 13,000m and no light has come on.

"Thousands of tired, nerve-shaken, over-civilized people are beginning to find out that going to the mountains is going home" - John Muir #JustWantToCamp #OB0711
Adventure Thread
post #87 of 91 (permalink) Old 04-12-2016, 01:53 PM

My Patriot will get the same treatment as my Dodge Dakota which has 265,000 miles on Supertech oil every 5000 miles. Change the oil and rotate your shoes every 5000 miles, no need to relie on a "light". My light has came on 1 time and it was on the way home from my 1st oil change go figure, lol.

Last edited by TWolve47; 04-12-2016 at 01:55 PM.
post #88 of 91 (permalink) Old 04-12-2016, 05:26 PM

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by TWolve47 View Post
My Patriot will get the same treatment as my Dodge Dakota which has 265,000 miles on Supertech oil every 5000 miles. Change the oil and rotate your shoes every 5000 miles, no need to relie on a "light". My light has came on 1 time and it was on the way home from my 1st oil change go figure, lol.
In my experience the leading reason for the appearance of the oil change oil indicator light is because it wasn't reset at the last oil change. If it isn't on when you bring it in for the LOF, then they don't think to reset it -- so it comes on prematurely the next time.

Last edited by Ignatz; 04-12-2016 at 05:28 PM.
post #89 of 91 (permalink) Old 01-27-2017, 01:06 AM

Oil change

Quote:
Originally Posted by GBrown View Post
For your oil changes do you go by the recommended oil change schedule or do you change or have your oil & filter changed sooner ?

I'm considering switching to full synthetic oil and taking my wifeys Jeep in every 4,000 miles for oil & filter changes.
Its always good to change the oil once in six months so that your vehicle is perfectly conditioned. If the oil is not changed then it can result in complaint for the engine.
post #90 of 91 (permalink) Old 03-05-2017, 12:16 PM

I have a 2011 Patriot which uses Amsoil Signature Series fully synthetic and is changed at 25,000 miles and the Ea filter every 15,000, I have not experienced any malfunctions at all.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jeep Patriot Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode