Oil Change Question/s - Page 3 - Jeep Patriot Forums
Jeep Patriot General Discussion General discussion for the Jeep Patriot

1Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #31 of 91 (permalink) Old 03-06-2015, 02:01 PM

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by BurtGummer44Magnum View Post
So my dealership offered Lifetime synthetic oil changes for $799, basically I pay for 10 oil changes up front (every 3 months/5Kmiles) and I get free oil changes for as long as I own the Patriot from there on out. I figured it was good deal since I usually own a car for at least 7 years.
$80 an oil change .... holy crap!

I get about 30 oil changes for $800 using Castrol Syntec meaning changing at 7.5k I would get 225,000 miles out of it. Yea and things to consider including the fine print ... and is the dealer even going to be in business in a decade (many have closed or rebranded in my area).

Religion has convinced people that there’s an invisible man…living in the sky, who watches everything you do every minute of every day. And the invisible man has a list of ten specific things he doesn’t want you to do. And if you do any of these things, he will send you to a special place, of burning and fire and smoke and torture and anguish for you to live forever, and suffer and burn and scream until the end of time. But he loves you. He loves you and he needs money.

~George Carlin
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #32 of 91 (permalink) Old 03-06-2015, 02:35 PM

They use Mobile 1 which is $38 for a jug up here , and a filter is 12 bucks so a DIY oil change for me is 50 bucks plus waste oil disposal and time. At 79 bucks for a synthetic oil change at the dealer is about 15 dollars less than at the local QuickLube places around here, and it keeps my extended warranty up to snuff. Costs are higher here in AK but our incomes are higher also. My $110K salary plus benefits is probably equal to a $75 salary in Texas or someplace.
post #33 of 91 (permalink) Old 03-06-2015, 03:25 PM

Garage
Yea around here Mobile1 oil change deals at Advanced/Autozone/Oriley/FleetFarm/etc are always pretty consistent with a $35 price tag or less (the other week was $29.99). Oil disposal is available for free at any of auto store or your local recycle facility. Oil changes at the dealer or at home have no impact on the warranty.

If that works for you great

Religion has convinced people that there’s an invisible man…living in the sky, who watches everything you do every minute of every day. And the invisible man has a list of ten specific things he doesn’t want you to do. And if you do any of these things, he will send you to a special place, of burning and fire and smoke and torture and anguish for you to live forever, and suffer and burn and scream until the end of time. But he loves you. He loves you and he needs money.

~George Carlin

post #34 of 91 (permalink) Old 03-07-2015, 12:52 AM
2012 POTY

Walmart always carries a jug of Mobil 1 fully synthetic for around $26. I buy Purolator PureOne oil filters at PepBoys for $7. The oil recycling is free picked up by city's waste management company.

"Jeep isn't just another vehicle, it's the lifestyle."

TJN's Build Thread

TJN's Tour
post #35 of 91 (permalink) Old 03-09-2015, 06:54 AM

I did my 1st oil change yesterday, it has 2000 miles and I wanted the break in oil out of there quicker, but it's been really snowy and I have no garage....

The wrench I bought for the Wix 57060 wouldn't fit the Mopar factory filter. Talk about a pain to get off, they put that sucker on tight..... Had to loosen the front of the skid plate and use channel locks in a weird position...

Anyhow, went with Mobil 1 5w20. From here out they should be easy with the right wrench.

Acoustic Originals (and some Double Aught)
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCko...v4WOg/featured
post #36 of 91 (permalink) Old 03-09-2015, 07:35 AM
Not Sponsored

Quote:
Originally Posted by Murphy Slaw View Post
I did my 1st oil change yesterday, it has 2000 miles and I wanted the break in oil out of there quicker, but it's been really snowy and I have no garage....

The wrench I bought for the Wix 57060 wouldn't fit the Mopar factory filter. Talk about a pain to get off, they put that sucker on tight..... Had to loosen the front of the skid plate and use channel locks in a weird position...

Anyhow, went with Mobil 1 5w20. From here out they should be easy with the right wrench.
If that ever happens again you can always stab it with a screwdriver and make sure it goes through the other side. And then just throw some weight into it

post #37 of 91 (permalink) Old 03-09-2015, 08:14 AM

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Creation View Post
If that ever happens again you can always stab it with a screwdriver and make sure it goes through the other side. And then just throw some weight into it
That works! I only ever had to do that once. It was winter and I was in the parking lot of the building where I lived.

With an oil filter, a good snug fit is all I ever do; I never go super-tight.

Murphy Slaw is living up to his reputation!

Parting advice. I'm right-handed, so I always put things on lefty; that way I can always get it off with my right.
post #38 of 91 (permalink) Old 03-09-2015, 08:43 AM

Quote:

Put a light film of oil on the rubber gasket with your finger next time before installing the new filter and that will help it to not stick when you take it off next time. Also, only hand tighten the filter, don't torque it on with a wrench.

post #39 of 91 (permalink) Old 03-10-2015, 07:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ignatz View Post
Murphy Slaw is living up to his reputation!
I saw that.......

Acoustic Originals (and some Double Aught)
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCko...v4WOg/featured
post #40 of 91 (permalink) Old 03-12-2015, 05:18 PM Thread Starter

Took the wife's Patriot in to the dealer for it's first oil change and found out we didn't have to pay a dime because oil changes are free. So, I'll pass on switching her over to synthetic for now.

2014 Jeep Patriot Sport 4x4
post #41 of 91 (permalink) Old 03-12-2015, 08:23 PM

Garage
Quote:
I saw that.......
post #42 of 91 (permalink) Old 03-12-2015, 11:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GBrown View Post
Took the wife's Patriot in to the dealer for it's first oil change and found out we didn't have to pay a dime because oil changes are free. So, I'll pass on switching her over to synthetic for now.

How did you get all oil changes for free? I got the first one free but haven't had to have my second one yet...

post #43 of 91 (permalink) Old 03-13-2015, 07:55 AM Thread Starter

Service guy told me since we bought the Jeep from their Jeep dearerlship & use the service dept we're good for 2 free oil changes & 2 free tire rotations per year for 2 years + a free car wash each visit.

2014 Jeep Patriot Sport 4x4
post #44 of 91 (permalink) Old 03-13-2015, 08:13 AM

Garage
Our old Jeep had lifetime oil changes -- one of those deals the sales people offer to sweeten a deal during negotiations.

Presently we have lifetime state inspections. Of course they want the repair work when they spot a problem!

They once offered a deal where for $100 or so you could get lifetime oil changes -- kind of a service contract. Again, it came with 'free' multi-point vehicle check at every change, and again, they're glad to offer brakes, wipers, air filters, etc.
post #45 of 91 (permalink) Old 03-13-2015, 10:11 AM

Garage
O'Riley has their house brand 5w20 Synthetic oil change (5 quarts) with a filter for $19.99 right now.

~George Carlin
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jeep Patriot Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode