Oil Change Question/s - Page 2 - Jeep Patriot Forums
Jeep Patriot General Discussion General discussion for the Jeep Patriot

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #16 of 89 (permalink) Old 11-10-2014, 06:23 AM
Mopar or no car!!!

Today's top brands of conventional oil are great as long as you change them frequently and use a good filter. I personally wouldn't do it in my Jeep though, but I drive a lot of hills and in extreme heat 6-7 months of the year. I like using very high quality oil as a form of cheap insurance so I don't have to worry about a dirty engine becoming problematic. I wouldn't drive over 4000 with any conventional, and no more than 8000 on a high quality synthetic, just my personal preferences.

2013 Jeep Patriot Limited, 2WD, CVT, 2.4L, uConnect230 --- K&N filter, Curt Class III Hitch w/ Spare Bumper, Mopar Oil Cooler, Cooper AT3 225/70/16, Boston Acoustics 6x9", JBL Tweeters, GTMat, Kicker Hideaway 8", Viper 2-way Alarm, Fiamm FWY Blaster Horn, Cobra DX19IV CB Radio, 20% Front Tint, 5% Rear Tint, Rugged Ridge mats, Splash Guards, Philips Xtreme Headlights, DD XML2 Fog Lights 5000k, Optima Red Top, Front Tow Hooks, JEEPPATRIOT.COM sticker
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #17 of 89 (permalink) Old 11-10-2014, 09:18 AM

Send a message via MSN to todde702
I do my oil changes when the "Change Oil" message appears in the dash. I do this because I still have a lifetime power train warranty to maintain, and I don't know what type of logging the computer retains. When I was travelling further for work, this used to be a 5200-5800 mile interval. Now that my driving is only about 10 minutes of stop and go, this has reduced to 2800-3400 miles. So if anyone doubts whether the oil life monitor works, I can confirm that it does. Either that or the last time the dealer had it they changed something in the programming.

-Todd
08 Sport 4x4 FDI Silver, CRD Stu's Coil Springs, Mud Flaps, Weathertech vent shades, TAG Rear Bumper
Carr Lightwing, Pilot Navigator Driving Lights, K&N Air Filter and a jp.com decal

Quote:
"Nothing is either good or bad, but thinking makes it so."
- William Shakespeare

"I swear to drunk I'm not God!"
- Anonymous
post #18 of 89 (permalink) Old 11-10-2014, 03:13 PM

Maybe the Mods will stickey this thread! ;-)

"My doctor tells me I should start slowing it down - but there are more old drunks than there are old doctors... so... let's all have another round." - Willie Nelson

post #19 of 89 (permalink) Old 11-10-2014, 04:51 PM
Not Sponsored

I change mine every 3k miles and my oil is gross. I had a mechanic do it last time and he said it was extremely bad and I was right at 3k miles. He recommended I run full synthetic from now on and keep a very close eye on it.

post #20 of 89 (permalink) Old 11-10-2014, 04:51 PM
Not Sponsored

Quote:
Originally Posted by Murman View Post
Maybe the Mods will stickey this thread! ;-)
Your wish is my command.

post #21 of 89 (permalink) Old 11-10-2014, 05:26 PM

Garage
How many miles for the change oil light to appear?

Religion has convinced people that there’s an invisible man…living in the sky, who watches everything you do every minute of every day. And the invisible man has a list of ten specific things he doesn’t want you to do. And if you do any of these things, he will send you to a special place, of burning and fire and smoke and torture and anguish for you to live forever, and suffer and burn and scream until the end of time. But he loves you. He loves you and he needs money.

~George Carlin
post #22 of 89 (permalink) Old 11-10-2014, 05:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by croat View Post
How many miles for the change oil light to appear?
See post #17 above. Todde702 states that it does indeed vary depending on use. I am approaching 5,000 miles stop and go city and my EVIC is reading 10% life left. I'm changing it at 5K regardless, recording when the oil change indicator activates, then resetting it. I will keep to a 4-5K oil change schedule no matter what the oil change indicator states, but will record it nonetheless.
post #23 of 89 (permalink) Old 11-11-2014, 12:17 AM

Garage
Interesting .... yea I will keep to my 5k standard as well.

Religion has convinced people that there’s an invisible man…living in the sky, who watches everything you do every minute of every day. And the invisible man has a list of ten specific things he doesn’t want you to do. And if you do any of these things, he will send you to a special place, of burning and fire and smoke and torture and anguish for you to live forever, and suffer and burn and scream until the end of time. But he loves you. He loves you and he needs money.

~George Carlin
post #24 of 89 (permalink) Old 12-02-2014, 10:39 PM

How can I check this? I am intrigued.

Quote:
Originally Posted by O'DubhGhaill View Post
See post #17 above. Todde702 states that it does indeed vary depending on use. I am approaching 5,000 miles stop and go city and my EVIC is reading 10% life left. I'm changing it at 5K regardless, recording when the oil change indicator activates, then resetting it. I will keep to a 4-5K oil change schedule no matter what the oil change indicator states, but will record it nonetheless.

2015 Jeep Patriot 4x4 Latitude - Maximum Steel
post #25 of 89 (permalink) Old 02-25-2015, 10:14 PM

I replace the engine oil every 9000 to 10000 miles.
My driving is 97% highway cruising.
I use Mobil One full synthetic & my 2.4L is equipped with an oil cooler.
The 2009 pat currently has 139000 trouble free miles on the engine & the last oil analysis showed no high numbers of the bad by products from use at the longer oil change intervals.
The company I work for recently retired its fleet of 20 2006 Jeep Liberty's.
Each one had in excess of 100,000 miles using conventional engine oil replaced @ 6,000 mile intervals with no ill effects. These were all hard, continuous city miles with long periods of idling.
Today's engines are better engineered as well as the current lubricants than what was available 25 years ago.
I have seen one old Honda CRX commuter car with nearly 500,000 miles on the original engine.
No reason why a riot engine cannot match that.
post #26 of 89 (permalink) Old 02-25-2015, 10:33 PM

Figured I'd chime in since I'm doing an oil change this weekend. I just run conventional since I change my own and can do it fairly often. I aim for a change at 5000 km but it's usually 6000 km (3000-4000 'ish miles) by the time I get around to it. It's dirty but that's its job.

As for diesels, you can't trust the colour with them at all. I used to maintain some heavy vehicles that were up there in age (385000 km on my ram 3500 when I quit). you could change the oil and run them for 30 seconds and it would look like the stuff you just took out. You can tell by the texture. If you can feel any "grit" in the oil, it's toast.
post #27 of 89 (permalink) Old 02-26-2015, 12:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bumblebee View Post
I remember when we both bought our 2014's at about the same time....I run Mobil one full syn 5-30 with a WIX oil filter and I will change it once a year which for me is about 4 to 5K miles....What ever the gauge on the dash says is meaningless to me......I also changed mine to Syn at 1,000 miles and I currently have 2,200 miles on mine....Hope your liking yours as much as I do mine!
With what you said and a few others is right where I am now. I work from home so I dont drive much. When I would drive to work I usually only put about 8k miles a year. So I may go ahead and switch to full synth since it will prob last a year for me
post #28 of 89 (permalink) Old 02-26-2015, 04:27 PM

I also change once a year using Royal Purple...usually that is 8-10k miles per year.
I did that with my 2.4 Stratus for years with no problem.

post #29 of 89 (permalink) Old 03-06-2015, 01:59 PM

So my dealership offered Lifetime synthetic oil changes for $799, basically I pay for 10 oil changes up front (every 3 months/5Kmiles) and I get free oil changes for as long as I own the Patriot from there on out. I figured it was good deal since I usually own a car for at least 7 years.
post #30 of 89 (permalink) Old 03-06-2015, 02:56 PM

I got my Riot with 15 miles on it. Im going to change the oil at 1k (currently at 650) and go full synthetic. I have noticed big differences in the full syn vs regular. I had to run my last 4 vehicles on full syn to maintain solid mpg and heat. When its 121 in the summer this is a no brainer.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jeep Patriot Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode