Anyone replace their brakes yet? - Jeep Patriot Forums
Jeep Patriot General Discussion General discussion for the Jeep Patriot

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 26 (permalink) Old 09-24-2009, 10:09 PM Thread Starter

Anyone replace their brakes yet?

My Patriot needs new front brakes, how much did it cost you and where did you get it done?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 26 (permalink) Old 09-24-2009, 11:12 PM

Not yet, but if you don't mind how many miles and what type of driving do you do?
post #3 of 26 (permalink) Old 09-25-2009, 08:12 AM

Just had the fronts done Tuesday before last. 32,500 miles. The cost of the pads (from a dealership) was 52 / US $70; outrageous, eh? But, this is Rip-off Britain I'm living in and I know that, if I'd just bought the pads and done the job myself it wouldn't have been anything like that. You just know that, when you have a scheduled service done on a vehicle, you're going to be bled dry. As in the song, "'Tis the same the whole world over.."

Rocal
post #4 of 26 (permalink) Old 09-25-2009, 08:54 AM

Rocal
Did they cut or replace the rotors when they did the brakes?
post #5 of 26 (permalink) Old 09-25-2009, 10:06 AM

Send a message via AIM to Terasec Send a message via Yahoo to Terasec
just had mine done,

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeepmuck View Post
My Patriot needs new front brakes, how much did it cost you and where did you get it done?
at a local shop,
Would do it myself but living in NYC, pretty difficult to work on the car when i need to,
Cost was $150,
which i think is outrageous
Pat has 60k miles on it,
And they tend to include cut the rotors regardless
guess its their way of justifying $150 pad install.
Pads from local shops generally go for $20-$50/set depending on brand,

also am not happy with pads they used, very soft, lots of dust,
may end up replacing them myself again.
post #6 of 26 (permalink) Old 09-25-2009, 10:12 AM

Send a message via AIM to Medic311 Send a message via MSN to Medic311
Quote:
Originally Posted by Terasec View Post
at a local shop,
Would do it myself but living in NYC, pretty difficult to work on the car when i need to,
Cost was $150,
which i think is outrageous
Pat has 60k miles on it,
And they tend to include cut the rotors regardless
guess its their way of justifying $150 pad install.
Pads from local shops generally go for $20-$50/set depending on brand,

also am not happy with pads they used, very soft, lots of dust,
may end up replacing them myself again.
where did you go??? midas? midas and all of those chain service shops upcharge on labor and then they pull a fast one and use cheap pads. you will want to go with Ceramic pads in the future since they don't release the kind of black dust that most types of pads do. Midas and most of those kinds of shops charge roughly $90/hr for labor. it takes under 15 minutes to turn all of your rotors since each rotor only needs to be rotated once or twice for it to be turned. throw in another 30 minutes to change the pads. ok, so now you are still under 1 hour. even if they took their time, they can still do it under an hour. next time you go there (if you do) i would demand that they show how long each item took b/c it doesn't make sense how they got $150 charge for labor when it is $90/hr. they should start charging you for labor as soon as they bring the car into the service bay/garage. the labor charge shouldn't start when you hand them the keys and you sit down in the waiting room.

with regards to changing your brake pads, it's actually quite an easy process. it's so easy that you can do it during your lunch break in your office parking lot. once you have done it a few times, you can change pads in under 30 mins. go to youtube and search for a video which will help you get started on doing it yourself. over the life of the vehicle, you will save thousands of dollars

Last edited by Medic311; 09-25-2009 at 10:17 AM.
post #7 of 26 (permalink) Old 09-25-2009, 10:32 AM

Send a message via AIM to Terasec Send a message via Yahoo to Terasec
I usually change pads myself

Quote:
Originally Posted by jgg204 View Post
where did you go??? midas? midas and all of those chain service shops upcharge on labor and then they pull a fast one and use cheap pads. you will want to go with Ceramic pads in the future since they don't release the kind of black dust that most types of pads do. Midas and most of those kinds of shops charge roughly $90/hr for labor. it takes under 15 minutes to turn all of your rotors since each rotor only needs to be rotated once or twice for it to be turned. throw in another 30 minutes to change the pads. ok, so now you are still under 1 hour. even if they took their time, they can still do it under an hour. next time you go there (if you do) i would demand that they show how long each item took b/c it doesn't make sense how they got $150 charge for labor when it is $90/hr. they should start charging you for labor as soon as they bring the car into the service bay/garage. the labor charge shouldn't start when you hand them the keys and you sit down in the waiting room.

with regards to changing your brake pads, it's actually quite an easy process. it's so easy that you can do it during your lunch break in your office parking lot. once you have done it a few times, you can change pads in under 30 mins. go to youtube and search for a video which will help you get started on doing it yourself. over the life of the vehicle, you will save thousands of dollars
when i get the chance,
just cant do it on city streets,
also was getting ready for long road trip that weekend(1000 miles or so)
and pads needed to be changed,
Shop is a local guy i know well, always did a good job on my neon.
rates here in Long Island(suburb of NYC ) are extremely high,
chain shops like midas charge +$200 for pads, yes +$200,
In NYC, like brooklyn, Bronx, etc, pads are usually $100-$120.
he said he uses Bendex pads,
I usually use bendex myself, never had them this soft and this much dust,
when i get the chance will take off the pads and see whats really going on.
post #8 of 26 (permalink) Old 09-25-2009, 10:45 AM

Send a message via AIM to Medic311 Send a message via MSN to Medic311
Quote:
Originally Posted by Terasec View Post
when i get the chance,
just cant do it on city streets,
also was getting ready for long road trip that weekend(1000 miles or so)
and pads needed to be changed,
Shop is a local guy i know well, always did a good job on my neon.
rates here in Long Island(suburb of NYC ) are extremely high,
chain shops like midas charge +$200 for pads, yes +$200,
In NYC, like brooklyn, Bronx, etc, pads are usually $100-$120.
he said he uses Bendex pads,
I usually use bendex myself, never had them this soft and this much dust,
when i get the chance will take off the pads and see whats really going on.
oh ok, yeah i hear ya. you were pressed for time so you had to get it done asap.

i stay away from bendex pads. they tend to be on the lower quality (at least the ones the shops use). next time tell the guy you want ceramic brakes. you will probably pay a little bit more, but the brakes are that much better. no dust is a plus
post #9 of 26 (permalink) Old 09-25-2009, 11:57 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by jettore View Post
Not yet, but if you don't mind how many miles and what type of driving do you do?
I've got over 56000 on mine and my driving is pretty well split even between city and country driving. I'm still riding on the original brakes.

I have most of my service done at my dealer, they've been reasonably priced and good to work with so far. I had them take a look and they said it needed pads and rotors up front. But, I thought the price they quoted me was a little high for the brakes, (I wanna say $180 for the fronts and like $350 for all of them, or maybe it was the $350, just for the front, I'm not sure), so I wanted to shop around a bit and see what everyone else was paying to get them done.
post #10 of 26 (permalink) Old 09-25-2009, 11:59 AM

Too much (dealership, Canada), too early (26 000 miles, and I'm a gentle brake user, this is ridiculous...). RUST in back brakes, partly seizing (whaaa? This is a 2008? this is ridiculous...)

MO|||||||Onster
08 Patriot North, Inferno Red/Dark Slate, 5-spd, Wheel and Tire + Tow + Convenience groups, Fog lights, Heated Seats, Blacked-out muffler, K&N, Class III receiver, emergency and recovery gear
post #11 of 26 (permalink) Old 09-25-2009, 12:28 PM

We call cutting the rotors "skimming the discs". They hardly ever do that here.Why should they, when they can tell you crap like, "Oh dear, Sir. Those discs really are living on overdraft, aren't they. You've been soooo lucky..." and blah, blah, blah.."So it's new discs this time I reckon..."

Rocal
post #12 of 26 (permalink) Old 09-25-2009, 02:17 PM

I only have 20,000 on mine so far so I havent had to yet.

The dealer did clean and adjust my rear brakes the last time it was in tho. The Tech told me that the rears will probably wear out first due to the ESP system and having rear disc.

I guess we will see.
post #13 of 26 (permalink) Old 09-25-2009, 02:46 PM

I remember back in the days in the Bronx you would just pay the crackhead to fix your car and they did a good job!. I would suggest ceramic pads also better stopping almost no dust at all and they last a lot longer.I have 36,800 miles and my brake pads are only about half way through.I usually don't stop hard but I drive it like it's paid for

13 Patriot FD1 4X4 Latitude
770VX2 Viper 2 way Alarm w/factory remote start
Engine oil cooler to double my towing
Hidden Hitch Class 3 2" receiver
Thule cross bars
3,000lb winch on the receiver
post #14 of 26 (permalink) Old 09-26-2009, 12:27 PM

I have a 2008 and have 53000 kms on it. Replaced the brakes- front and rear last month - I had it done at the dealer and with oil change, filter, brakes and MVI the cost was a little over $500 canadian. I feel that the wear was excessive- I drive about 60 % city and 40 highway, aand have conservative driving habits.

Charlimc
Saint John New Brunswick,
Canada
2008 North edition, 4x4, CVT(autostick), Yes Essentials, Hitch, Heated seats, Sirius, cruise, Tomtom 330 GPS, Scanguage, OEM Roof Cross Bars, Wife's Car - 2009 Matrix XR S Awd
post #15 of 26 (permalink) Old 09-26-2009, 01:15 PM

Did mine around 35K, dealer wanted $235. I did them in the driveway in around a half hour, total was $35 for the lifetime semi ceramics from Autozone.

2003 Jeep Wrangler X
1998 Jeep Cherokee Classic
2011 Dodge Durango Crew
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jeep Patriot Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode