Jeep Patriot Size Comparison pics - Jeep Patriot Forums
Jeep Patriot General Discussion General discussion for the Jeep Patriot

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 139 (permalink) Old 07-02-2006, 07:20 PM Thread Starter

Jeep Patriot Size Comparison pics

OK, I've been promising this for a while...so here goes. All are done to wheelbase specs and height.

Here's the first, more to come this evening...

Jeep Patriot vs. Jeep Cherokee (XJ)

Much closer in size then I originally anticipated. The Patriot is noticeable "chunkier". They are similar in length, though the Patriot has a 2 inch longer wheelbase.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 139 (permalink) Old 07-02-2006, 07:33 PM Thread Starter

Patriot vs Liberty (KJ) Size Comparo

This one surprised me a bit. The Liberty has a distinct height advantage (about 5 inches!) but not so much in length or wheelbase. I'm going to say the next gen Liberty will be closer in size to its platform mate, the Dodge Nitro in order to make room for the Patriot.

Edit: Note that the "hump" on the Liberty is in fact the roof rack. The actual roof height is in front of the "hump"

Last edited by DMAG; 07-02-2006 at 08:34 PM.
post #3 of 139 (permalink) Old 07-02-2006, 07:44 PM Thread Starter

Patriot vs. Grand Cherokee (WK) Size Comparison

As expected, the Grand Cherokee dwarfs the Patriot in just about every dimension. Sitting higher, longer and with a cowl that sits a good few inches above the Patriot's...drivers of both should expect two VERY different vehicles. Cargo room is also a premium.

post #4 of 139 (permalink) Old 07-02-2006, 08:16 PM

Great work! It appears that the Patriot has alot more passenger room than the Cherokee due to the positioning of the engine. Give it one inch lift (FreedomII?) and the height and ground clearance will match up exactly.
post #5 of 139 (permalink) Old 07-03-2006, 10:03 AM

Great Job! That looks great. I have been wondering how they stacked up next to each other.

One thing I noticed first off on all was the ground clearance and the angles (approach, break-over, and departure). Than the overall comparisons.

I think this one has some good potential off road. With the extra inch from the Freedom II package, it will have better angles over those of the Liberty, too.

The engine compartment is considerable smaller than that of the Cherokee... means more interior space. If you slide the interior volumes so the top of the windshields line up.. it looks like it will have nearly the same interior space of the Grand Cherokee.
post #6 of 139 (permalink) Old 07-03-2006, 02:05 PM

Send a message via Yahoo to BigDuke6
Nice work!!! Any chance of a comparison to a Subaru Forrester or any other vehichle the Patriot is in direct competition with?
post #7 of 139 (permalink) Old 07-18-2006, 06:35 PM

Hi everybody!

New to the board, but had to comment about how excited I am to see the Patriot come in so close in size to the old XJ. I miss the original Cherokees greatly and I really hope the Pat can live up to its Jeep heritage.

Considering it's based off the Caliber, anyone have any ideas if/how a mild lift can be accomplished for the Patriot? With FDII, that should really be all it needs unless you're into the hard-core stuff.
post #8 of 139 (permalink) Old 07-18-2006, 07:43 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by LoneWolf
Hi everybody!

New to the board, but had to comment about how excited I am to see the Patriot come in so close in size to the old XJ. I miss the original Cherokees greatly and I really hope the Pat can live up to its Jeep heritage.

Considering it's based off the Caliber, anyone have any ideas if/how a mild lift can be accomplished for the Patriot? With FDII, that should really be all it needs unless you're into the hard-core stuff.
I would imagine the lift would be similar to how lifts were done with the KJ (withexception to the IRS). I installed a 2.5" Daystar lift in my old KJ. Involved removing the struts and adding spacers for the IFS and pucks in the rear (which was a SRA).
post #9 of 139 (permalink) Old 08-01-2006, 10:35 AM

I'd imagine that a lift on a Patriot might be a little more involved than a Liberty, but similar. One should note that it took several years before off road lift kit manufacturers got their products out for the Liberty, so it might be awhile before the Patriot gets taller. The KJ is limited to 2.5" of lift due to the design of the suspension - past 2.5" and everything on the front end doesn't work.

Unless you're going to be replacing every suspension component, lifts usually just put unneeded stress on independent suspensions because they're getting smacked around at angles they weren't designed for. Still, if the FDII is lifting it one inch, it's possible that a "budget boost" might fit the Patriot - that is, poly coil spacers that lift up the coil springs front and rear. If that's all it takes, then you might be able to get one or two more inches. I'm not sure we'll be stuffing much larger tires than stock under the fenders, though. Just my two cents.
post #10 of 139 (permalink) Old 08-01-2006, 01:28 PM

In terms of larger tires, can someone help me out with what exactly is being referred too. I read 17.5" wheels, 16' wheels...then 31.5" tires.....what the hell is what? Also, why wouldn't larger tires fit on the Patriot? Is it because there isn't enough room for them, ie they'll be rubbing against the car body? Also, is there are difference in tire thickness, and what is more desirable for off-roading?
post #11 of 139 (permalink) Old 08-01-2006, 02:45 PM

Wheels are the rims. The inside diameter of the tire, in other words. The rim may be 16". When you hear tire size, that's the outsize diameter of the tires. Although, the actual measurement of the tire size tends to be different from tire manufacturer to tire manufacturer. The width of the tire is usually included in the tire's size.

Yes, the problem would be that there may not be enough room under the fenders to fit the tires - too big and they'll rub when the wheels are turned and possibly against rub against the fender flare and inside fender well if the suspension is flexed. Rubbing tires are not a pleasant experience.
post #12 of 139 (permalink) Old 08-01-2006, 04:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by unclejjg
...Also, is there are difference in tire thickness, and what is more desirable for off-roading?

O.D. = Outer Diameter. When someone refers to runnning 33's this is what they mean. They have tires that are 33"s in diameter.

Z = Rim Diameter. When they say they are running 22's, more than likely they mean the rims are 22"s in diameter.

X = Tire Width

Y = Tire Section Height.

What works best for off-roading depends on the type of off-roading you plan on doing. In general, I believe taller and wider is the way to go. This is wher your vehicle will set the limits. You can only go so wide before you will rub on thwne the wheel is turned and/or when the shocks are under compression. You can only go so tall before you will rub for under the same conditions.

When off-roading on any hard surface or where you need to air the tire down, having a bigger tire section height (Y) gives you more room for bounce when under lower pressure without damaging your rims. See how in the image above the 70 series tire with the same OD as a 40 series tire would have more cushion between the tread and the rim - which means you would need a smaller rim. The breaks and lines will limit how small you can go with your rims. I wouldn't go any smaller than stock rim size.

Wider tires eat horsepower to turn. Narrow tires tend to dig in more on soft surfaces like mud and snow, where wider tires 'float' over the surface. So it is a balancing act between your 4x4s clearances, engine, and the type of wheeling you want to do.
post #13 of 139 (permalink) Old 08-01-2006, 04:09 PM

Here's a good example of why you probably don't want to run with a 40 series set of wheels...

Go with at least a 60 series if not 70 series tires.
post #14 of 139 (permalink) Old 08-01-2006, 06:46 PM

pdxbubba and xjmatt,

Thanks guys. I love learning about this stuff, and its a hell of a lot better to ask questions and receive answers than trying to get your answers out of magazines.

Thanks again.
post #15 of 139 (permalink) Old 08-18-2006, 11:29 AM

Cherokee vs. Patriot...pic comparison

Here are two very similar shots to put things in more perspective. When you look at the two, it becomes so apparent how unnecessary the additional overhang is on the Patriot.

Last edited by unclejjg; 08-18-2006 at 11:32 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jeep Patriot Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode