JeepPatriot.com gas mileage tips - Page 3 - Jeep Patriot Forums
Jeep Patriot General Discussion General discussion for the Jeep Patriot

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #31 of 91 (permalink) Old 02-18-2013, 09:25 AM

A couple months ago I decided to go for it and follow some of the advice on ecomodder.com after reading the posts for years. I did partial grill blocks, air dams, and increase tire pressure to 40psi (sidewall max 44) on the Pat and the Fiesta. The pat gets almost all city driving and have seen only about a small increase in the average from 22.5 to 23.5 (not much data yet). But the fiesta has gone from 32.2 to 35.1 average and this weekend I blew the doors off my best ever tank of 40.8 mpg. On a round trip 2.5 hours each way at 65 mph most of the time I got 49 mpg (rated 38). I would add the suggestion to not use cruise control but to draft 4-5 car lengths behind someone who is driving at an appropriate speed.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #32 of 91 (permalink) Old 02-18-2013, 10:23 AM

Garage
I have a 100 mile commute, some stop and go, some highway, and I usually average 23 MPG for my FDII.

Sometimes on trips I do better. On this past weekend going to DC from PA you get a couple MPG better than coming back. The way there is mostly downhill, and the ride back is mostly uphill, and often with a headwind.

You can go fast, but I can go anywhere
post #33 of 91 (permalink) Old 03-07-2013, 04:04 PM

I am on a round trip from central Texas to Las Vegas, NV. Over the first 817.1 miles I averaged 24.12 mpg. Mostly driving 75 mph on Interstate 10 with one hundred mile stint at 80 mph. Just put it on cruise control and drove. Of course, this is the 2.4 FD1. Seems to be about the same as it is at 60 or 65 for my vehicle. Tach was showing mosty 2400/2600. Mileage via GPS.

[URL=http://www.fuelly.com/car/jeep/patriot/2016/hypno444/419571][URL]

post #34 of 91 (permalink) Old 03-24-2013, 04:54 PM
Equal Opportunity Mod

Garage
the next time I get gas i'm going to drive under the Guidelines of MrJeepr44! along with a little lucas.just read it over again...I bet alot of people battle the cvt, rather than try to work with it!

LONESTAR MK'S/STREET JEEPS

Viper alarm,Kenwood in dash dvd,Pioneer 800 watt amp,Pioneer 12" subwoofer,3m tinted windows,euro shorty antenna,18x8.0"Kmc Rockstar rims,H&r springs,Hankook optimo h727 tires 225/55,Mopar cargo mat,compass shift knob,(jeep) steering wheel cover,vht tail lights & turn signals,avs vent visors,k&n air filter,60 series flowmaster,3.5" flo_pro tip,black pipes,3"nerf bars,cross bars,green led interior,Rugged ridge matts,jeeppatriot stickerlasti-dipped badges & grill
post #35 of 91 (permalink) Old 04-07-2013, 03:24 PM

I have learned ever since I had my JK, that I dont own a sportcar, so dont expect it to accelerate like one...i do about 250 miles of driving a week to get to work..90% is highway...I have learned that the cruise control is my friend...I have not fueled enough times just yet to see what I am actually averaging per fill....But anything compared to 17 MPG on my JK anything is an upgrade

Alfy
post #36 of 91 (permalink) Old 04-07-2013, 11:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 480KREEPIN View Post
the next time I get gas i'm going to drive under the Guidelines of MrJeepr44! along with a little lucas.just read it over again...I bet alot of people battle the cvt, rather than try to work with it!
I think that was the big thing with me. Learning to work with the cvt not against it. The cvt is similar to my wife. It tells me how to drive..... lol
post #37 of 91 (permalink) Old 07-02-2013, 10:29 AM

Just made a 382 mile trip to traverse city and back went 62 on the way there got ~27MPG went 55 on the way back(Seney stretch...) got ~29mpg...extra 40-50 minutes as well...I think 27MPG is good enough for me
post #38 of 91 (permalink) Old 07-02-2013, 10:53 AM

Garage
One thing with the CVT, when you accelerate, like getting on a highway off the ramp, it will get up there well with high RPMs, and if you stay on the gas it will remain high, but if once you get to speed you let off a bit, RPMs will drop a lot, and you maintain speed.

Try it.

You can go fast, but I can go anywhere
post #39 of 91 (permalink) Old 08-10-2013, 06:43 PM

My best MPG

Firstly, the senior members at the beginning of this thread made some very practical fuel saving suggestions.

Last weekend my 08 Patty got the best MPG, albeit under fairly ideal driving conditions: Ambient temp of 25C (78F); 2 separate round trips (4 legs) to visit inlaws in Oshawa 70 km (43 mi) away; 18% city, 82% hwy.

Using the scanguage to record the MPG, each 70 km leg used 6.9 L/100km (34 USmpg); On each hwy stretch, fuel consumption settled at 6.3 L/100km (37 mpg). These numbers were repeated four times. Hwy speed range 50-60 mph, with a couple taps on the brakes due to traffic bunching. A near ideal driving condition.

My Patty is a basic-basic FWD tin-can with 5 speed stick, and no A/C. I had to open the windows by an inches for "cooling", that's no good for the aerodynamics at hwy speed.

This beats the Cdn govt EnerGuide for the 08 Patriot: Hwy 7.1 (33 mpg). Better than advertised by 12% !

By Autumn, all mpg's will tank with the temperature and the new reality.
post #40 of 91 (permalink) Old 09-13-2013, 11:07 AM

How NOT to Get Great MPG

Lift your Pat with an RRO kit. You break the ground effect created by being only 7+ inches off the ground.

Add 235s for even less MPG and the 1/2 inch higher you get.

Add crossrails, off-road driving lights, mud flaps, trailer hitch and you kind of get the idea.

I'm happy with 21.5 around town with the AC blowing forth, but it gets about the same at 70-75.

Run at 80 mph, you can get real lousy mpg without trying with all the above mentioned goodies.

Drive in the dirt with your AC on, that's why we bought a Patriot here in SoFlo.

Best Tip: Get the 5-speed manny tranny. Agreed!

TRADED-IN for CHEROKEE Latitude 12/2/13:RRO Lift, 235/65/17 H/Ts, Black PlastiDip 17" Factory Wheels, Front Mud Flaps, Fog Lights, Hella Driving Lights, Curt Class III Hitch w/Shackle, Black Mesh on Lower Bumper Intakes, Blacked-out Muffler, Roofrails, 5mm Rear Spacers, Sony 6x9s(4), 6-Disc Changer, Front Tint & Fine Jeep PinStripe.

Last edited by snokat; 09-13-2013 at 11:09 AM.
post #41 of 91 (permalink) Old 10-15-2013, 03:13 PM

I have noticed an mpg increase after I got my cvt fluid and filter changed at about 127k.
I was using Mopar air filters and then Fram and now I am using an independent parts shop air filter that looks thicker than the fram or Mopar and the MPGs went up more after putting that one in. I change the air filter every 5k
post #42 of 91 (permalink) Old 10-18-2013, 05:23 AM

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by chateaupierre View Post
Firstly, the senior members at the beginning of this thread made some very practical fuel saving suggestions.

Last weekend my 08 Patty got the best MPG, albeit under fairly ideal driving conditions: Ambient temp of 25C (78F); 2 separate round trips (4 legs) to visit inlaws in Oshawa 70 km (43 mi) away; 18% city, 82% hwy.

Using the scanguage to record the MPG, each 70 km leg used 6.9 L/100km (34 USmpg); On each hwy stretch, fuel consumption settled at 6.3 L/100km (37 mpg). These numbers were repeated four times. Hwy speed range 50-60 mph, with a couple taps on the brakes due to traffic bunching. A near ideal driving condition.

My Patty is a basic-basic FWD tin-can with 5 speed stick, and no A/C. I had to open the windows by an inches for "cooling", that's no good for the aerodynamics at hwy speed.

This beats the Cdn govt EnerGuide for the 08 Patriot: Hwy 7.1 (33 mpg). Better than advertised by 12% !

By Autumn, all mpg's will tank with the temperature and the new reality.
Wow! those are some pretty good numbers. I agree that the Patriot beats the advertised and government economy figures. Ignatz is a 2008 FWD/CVT with 128,000 miles and still puts out low 30s mpg on a highway trip.
post #43 of 91 (permalink) Old 10-18-2013, 05:33 AM

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by FirstJeepOH View Post
I wonder if the fuel blend is the issue.
Fuel blend can be an issue. When I was a rep on the road back in the 90s I travelled 1000 miles/wk, and I tracked my fuel economy every tankful. I began to notice a trend that I was getting better economy from certain stations than others. The cause was neither the brand, nor the terrain, it was the additives the EPA required (MTBE). When I filled up in the more populated counties they had to sell gas with MTBE, and I'd use this fuel into rural areas. Then I'd fill up outside the city where the gas wasn't treated with MTBE and I'd get better economy. I noticed this as a curiosity, then the flurry of controversy surrounding MTBE came out and the experts professionally determined what I'd already discovered as an amateur with a calculator.
post #44 of 91 (permalink) Old 10-18-2013, 02:22 PM

would roof bars or a cargo basket really have a that great of an affect on mpg? I put a a cargo basket on and haven't noticed a huge difference so far?
post #45 of 91 (permalink) Old 10-18-2013, 04:48 PM

I was getting getting 18/22 with fd2. I found a place near buffalo ny that sells no ethanol gas and my mileage jumped to 23/28. Unbelivable!!!!!

Sometimes we live no particular way but our own!!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jeep Patriot Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode