Jeep Patriot Forums banner

Won't start/ETC light

29K views 9 replies 4 participants last post by  BlueFury79 
#1 · (Edited)
Just as title says - Patriot won't start. ETC & MIL - electronic throttle control & malfunction indicator light - lights are on. Sounds like everything is getting power, makes all clicks, etc. Just won't start. Won't shift from neutral either?
I called Jeep Roadside Service (vehicle under bumper-to-bumper & powertrain warranties) and tell them I need to be towed. They say they'll send someone to jump it (and tow if need be). Two people show up in a compact car to jump it which doesn't work so I just had to call again to get a tow. Unreal.
Found some info online about the drive-by-wire not keeping the throttle blade open but not very much else so I doubt it's a service bulletin (yet!)
Will keep you updated.
EDIT: The truck driver said it sounds like the starter. It only has 18,000 miles on it that sounds odd.

#2 ·
Well thankfully you're still under warranty, but I'd be curious what the codes were and what the dealer did to fix it. See if you can update the thread when you get it back.

#4 ·
Soo as I'm driving off the lot I realize the ETC light is now flashing and the traction control light is on. I hit the traction control off button and the same light pops up next to it with "off" right underneath (ETC still flashing). The car had zero power no matter how much throttle I gave it.
So I turned right back around and of course they can't look at it until Monday. The service guy asked if I could drive it for the weekend. Yea right!
They rented me a Chrysler 200 until Tuesday morning.

#5 ·
Probably bumped a wire off while installing the starter. Should be an easy fix but good call on not driving it.

#6 ·
Must be something else,
Starter does not throw any codes or warning lights,
Also you can still shift out of park/neutral without the starter
My starter went out a few times new starter once and loosee wires twice, never any codes or dash lights for it,

#8 ·
Yea, the official term for that would be a vacuum leak. A shame it took until monday for them to fix it. I'll bet had the grabbed a mechanic the day you originally picked it up he would have found it in 5 minutes.

#9 ·
Ugh I know.
He said it would have to wait for the original tech to work on it until Monday and I made a comment about no one else in the shop being qualified to at least pull the codes so we have some idea what it is.
Then I walked in Monday to pick it up & he was all happy, "Hey, it was just a vacuum line unhooked." I said, "Great. Thank you. That's an easy fix ... It would have been just as easy on Friday."

#10 ·
Please help right now

Can I DIY for same problem?
It's a Sunday and I decided to swap out my horn for an after market low tone one. After I fully installed the new horn, reconnected all lights in front grill, I turned the engine on to turn steering wheel to one side so I can reinstall the pop rivets in one wheel well, then I go back to start engine to turn wheels to other side and engine won't start. Only clicking and ETC light lit up.
I don't get it, the engine just started 2 min earlier but no luck now. If I bumped some wires installing the horn then why didn't it not start right away?

As I'm writing this it's 3 pm and losing daylight. Is any one on the forums right now & can help immediately?

JR

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.