Replacement fender question - Jeep Patriot Forums
Exterior Exterior questions and modifications.
Guards, rails, armor, racks, mounts, etc

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 6 (permalink) Old 01-10-2017, 06:21 PM Thread Starter

Replacement fender question

Hi group,

I've been a lurker for a while but unfortunately a little snowy-accident last night brought up a question for me. In an unfortunate laps in judgement, I ended up sideways, in the snow, laughing, then cussing, then hitting a fence pole . It put a pretty solid dent in my front left fender, just above the driver's side front wheel. I'm looking at repairs and I can find replacement fenders anywhere from $75-$500. Any input on these? It seems that new OEM is about $250, used, paint-matched OEM is about $500 but I can find new after market for WAY cheaper. Does anybody have any thoughts on these? Manufacturers to dodge, or avoid after market all together? Thanks for the input - looking forward to having this behind me quickly!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 (permalink) Old 01-10-2017, 08:00 PM
Use the SEARCH feature

Typically those much cheaper parts fit on the vehicle poorly. They would work, but the gaps or mounting holes may not line up, and sometimes it can be pretty noticeable.

Have you took a look on Craigslist to see if you can find a "part-out" Patriot? You might get a good deal on that fender.

Truckin' the bread all over your @$$!
post #3 of 6 (permalink) Old 01-10-2017, 08:29 PM

Garage
Not my Patriot but my old Grand Prix had a fender replaced when it was almost new. That would have been 2001. A girl either ran a stop sign or started up too soon and got my rear fender. Overall I was pleased with the body shop, but I suspect they didn't use OEM parts. Never a problem early on, but I kept that vehicle 10 years and 250,000 miles. As the vehicle got older that fender was the only one that showed rust. The rust was certainly manageable -- not like it was rusting away, just showing spots here & there.

So if you're planning on keeping it for a long time I'd suggest going with the better parts. If you're the 5 year / 100,000 mile type, then go with the cheaper one. It will be gone before you notice any problems.

post #4 of 6 (permalink) Old 01-11-2017, 10:25 AM Thread Starter

Thanks for the input. That is more-or-less what I was expecting. It is a 2008 with 115k on it and I'm actually planning to replace it some time this year. I've always kept it nice and I don't want to put junk on it, but I also don't want to spend any unnecessary money. I did check CL, that was a good idea but nothing in my area. I've still yet to call the two major salvage yards in town. Thanks again.
post #5 of 6 (permalink) Old 01-11-2017, 10:41 AM

Call the salvage yards for sure. I got some stuff for my truck recently, cost me $100 for something that would have cost close to $1000 if I got OEM parts. Just make sure you bring your own tools with you.

2012 FDII Patriot - Sold
1989 Cherokee Pioneer - 3.5" MC lift
http://aicproductionblog.com/support-this-page/
http://www.youtube.com/c/aicoffroadvideo
post #6 of 6 (permalink) Old 01-11-2017, 01:56 PM

Send a message via AIM to Terasec Send a message via Yahoo to Terasec
i bought cheap aftermarket, $150 made in taiwan
they are crap, takes lots of work to make it line up correctly
next time i would spend the extra money and go with OEM
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jeep Patriot Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode