How to increase roof capacity? - Jeep Patriot Forums
Exterior Exterior questions and modifications.
Guards, rails, armor, racks, mounts, etc

4Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 24 (permalink) Old 08-22-2016, 04:44 PM Thread Starter

How to increase roof capacity?

Hey guys!

I'm looking to do a multi-month travel and seriously considering a hardshell roof top tent. I've seen it done in the past but what would need to be done to make the roof rack capable of 500+ pounds? Do I need different crossbars (Yakima?) or a platform or what? I'm struggling to figure this one out...
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 24 (permalink) Old 08-22-2016, 05:01 PM

Only bad things can come of this. Limit the weight on your roof so you don't adversely affect maneuverability, Add a hitch mounted cargo box if needed. You have a lot of good options to choose from.
post #3 of 24 (permalink) Old 08-22-2016, 05:24 PM

x2, I would not do anything to be able to put that much weight on the roof. Statically you can easily put that much weight up there, but once you start moving, that weight becomes significantly more, and you're just asking to roll over.

Get something like this:
http://amzn.to/2by8ds3

Much safer!

2012 FDII Patriot - Sold
1989 Cherokee Pioneer - 3.5" MC lift
http://aicproductionblog.com/support-this-page/
http://www.youtube.com/c/aicoffroadvideo

post #4 of 24 (permalink) Old 08-22-2016, 07:16 PM

Garage
X3. Garrett, If there was a class Off Roading 101, a vehicles changing "center of gravity" would be one of the first topics discussed! Take a couple of minutes and read up on what the "center of gravity" is and how it relates to a vehicles stability.

Safe Motoring...and Keep the Shiny Side Up!

2016 Patriot, Granite Crystal Latitude, Fwd, 2.4 L 6sp Auto Stick, 17 Wheels, Continental Tires, Uconnect 430 w/back up camera, Am/Fm CD/DVD, 28 GB HDD Sirius XM Boston Acoustic system w/ Sub w/flip down spkrs, Abs Plastic Wind Deflectors, Jeep Mud Flaps, Mopar Rails, Jeep Cargo Liner.

Last edited by FlatLander Patriot; 08-22-2016 at 07:18 PM.
post #5 of 24 (permalink) Old 08-22-2016, 07:30 PM Thread Starter

Guys,

Thanks for all the responses. I understand center of gravity, lower and raising it, etc. Would the Tepui hardshell tent drastically increase drag/rollover issues? I'm not doing a plethora of offroading on this trip. Mild trails (at most), dirt/sand roads, and highways will be most of the driving.

Hitch will be used by my bike rack, as of now that can't change due to sponsorship stuff. That may or may not be able to change.

Also to clarify the tent weighs 150lbs. I only need that much weight when we'll be sleeping in it!

Last edited by Garrett; 08-22-2016 at 07:38 PM.
post #6 of 24 (permalink) Old 08-22-2016, 08:25 PM

I don't know what the capacity for the roof is, I know that RangerDave has popped a tent on his roof.

My biggest concern would be the total weight of the tent and yourself on the roof and the rack/crossbars ability to hold that weight.

2010 Jeep Patriot Sport 4x4 FDI.
post #7 of 24 (permalink) Old 08-22-2016, 08:49 PM

Seems that you just need to win the lottery to pull this off! Yikes. $2,500 +/- for the James Baroud brand pictured below. The Tepui ($1,000+) web site does differentiate between static and dynamic weight. FYI for everyone, these tents weigh in the neighborhood of +/- 100 lbs and the Tepui site says that their 3 person model can handle 600 lbs.

Instead of trying to modify the vehicle, it might be better to design a system that supports the platform at 4 corners and only uses the vehicle for lateral stability. It would require some engineered aluminum cross bars to handle 600 lbs (tent plus occupants). Even then, the Patriot roof rack system is not very strong. This would be an interesting project for a tinkering engineer. I imagine that your funding is not bottomless. (babe is not included below)

Good luck.

More Patriot pics here: First Impressions: James Baroud Horizon Vision Roof Top Tent | Expedition Portal
https://adventure-ready.com/north-cascades-highway/
FlatLander Patriot likes this.

2014 Sport, 2wd, 2.4L, 6 speed tranny, Winter Chill

Last edited by Treegrower; 08-22-2016 at 09:10 PM.
post #8 of 24 (permalink) Old 08-22-2016, 08:57 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by BLKJ33P View Post
My biggest concern would be the total weight of the tent and yourself on the roof and the rack/crossbars ability to hold that weight.
This is my main concern. I don't think having it up there is too much on the Jeep. I just need to figure out a way distribute the weight correctly.
post #9 of 24 (permalink) Old 08-22-2016, 08:59 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Treegrower View Post
Seems that you just need to win the lottery to pull this off! Yikes. $2,500 +/- for the James Baroud brand pictured below. The Tepui ($1,000+) web site does differentiate between static and dynamic weight. FYI for everyone, these tents weigh in the neighborhood of +/- 100 lbs and the Tepui site says that their 3 person model can handle 600 lbs.

Instead of trying to modify the vehicle, it might be better to design a system that supports the platform at 4 corners and only uses the vehicle for lateral stability. It would require some engineered aluminum cross bars to handle 600 lbs (tent plus occupants). Even then, the Patriot roof rack system is not very strong. This would be an interesting project for a tinkering engineer. I imagine that your funding is not bottomless.

Good luck.
I like that idea. Funding is definitely not bottomless. A lot of this is funding through sponsors, fortunately. I like the idea of the multiple aluminum cross bars. My dad is an engineer (who hates cars) so maybe I can snag him into this

Do you guys think something like this would help distribute the weight? I don't know how I would engineer this but I'm sure I could get some mocking up done with PVC and move forward
post #10 of 24 (permalink) Old 08-22-2016, 08:59 PM Thread Starter

Sorry wouldn't let me post a URL yet (I'm a newbie on here).

This is what I was thinking may help it out up there.

https://cdn.frontrunneroutfitters.co...KRLD028T-3.jpg
post #11 of 24 (permalink) Old 08-22-2016, 09:56 PM

Garage
Cool Clarity!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Garrett View Post
Guys,

Thanks for all the responses. I understand center of gravity, lower and raising it, etc. Would the Tepui hardshell tent drastically increase drag/rollover issues? I'm not doing a plethora of offroading on this trip. Mild trails (at most), dirt/sand roads, and highways will be most of the driving.

Hitch will be used by my bike rack, as of now that can't change due to sponsorship stuff. That may or may not be able to change.

Also to clarify the tent weighs 150lbs. I only need that much weight when we'll be sleeping in it!
Good luck with your project and promotion(s). Keep us posted about your locations and upload pictures when you can.

Safe Motoring...and Keep the Shiny Side Up!

2016 Patriot, Granite Crystal Latitude, Fwd, 2.4 L 6sp Auto Stick, 17 Wheels, Continental Tires, Uconnect 430 w/back up camera, Am/Fm CD/DVD, 28 GB HDD Sirius XM Boston Acoustic system w/ Sub w/flip down spkrs, Abs Plastic Wind Deflectors, Jeep Mud Flaps, Mopar Rails, Jeep Cargo Liner.

Last edited by FlatLander Patriot; 08-23-2016 at 10:18 AM.
post #12 of 24 (permalink) Old 08-22-2016, 10:14 PM

the RRO rails and cross bars look quite a bit sturdier than stock. that may be a good place to start.
post #13 of 24 (permalink) Old 08-23-2016, 09:33 AM

Send a message via AIM to Terasec Send a message via Yahoo to Terasec
i wouldnt do such
if you are going to go ahead with it i would recommend increasing contact points to the roof
to at least 6, to help distribute the weight
i had fist size rust holes at rear supports because i carry 76lb kayak
kayak acts like a sail and flexed rear contact points
i had to re engineer support structure
Pat comes with foam between roof skin and cross member, over time that foam breaks up and disintegrates
i replaced the foam with sheets of metal instead

FlatLander Patriot likes this.

Last edited by Terasec; 08-23-2016 at 11:21 AM.
post #14 of 24 (permalink) Old 08-23-2016, 11:34 AM

This seems like a solution in search of a problem. I don't understand the advantage of a tent on top of a vehicle. It effectively immobilizes the vehicle and will likely result in damage to the roof. A standard tent can be any size you want, much more affordable, doesn't tie up the vehicle, and is easy to enter/exit. Obviously there's something I'm not getting.
post #15 of 24 (permalink) Old 08-23-2016, 12:02 PM

Send a message via AIM to Terasec Send a message via Yahoo to Terasec
if i was to do a multi month adventure like that
unless its on a safari i wouldnt go with roof tent
at least not in US
use the roof for storage that you wont need to access often, spare tire/emergency gear, etc..
that would free up space in the pat you can use
maybe a platform with storage underneath,
if a trailer is feasible look at offroad trailers and can set up a platform in or ontop of the trailer

do you plan on working in the tent? online blog or something?
you will want a more comfortable space for it
will you be staying at 1 place for extended stays? better to leave tent/trailer at the site while you do day trips
do have lots of options on how to go about it
would be curious to hear more about it
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jeep Patriot Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode